Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Nothing says quality like a black eye and a moustache.
Fun Shoe

Hey, it's Pete and Amy again, and we're coming to you with Outer Wilds: Echoes of the Eye! This is the (fairly) newly-released DLC for the sleeper hit indie game, Outer Wilds. Amy and I previously recorded a Let's Play of the base game, and we both loved it so much that we knew we had to come back and record the DLC after it was announced. This is a story-driven expansion that sounds like it might actually be leaning a bit toward horror, which excites the hell out of me.

Holy crap, guys, more Outer Wilds!

As far as spoilers go, like I said, Amy and I have played the base game, but not the DLC, so please censor important information for us. Thanks in advance!

We'll also be streaming our playthrough before it gets put up on YouTube in parts. Our aim is to stream on Monday evenings, ~7:30 p.m. Central U.S. Time. As always, our Twitch channel can be found right here. We'd love to see you!

(We're aiming to upload the recorded episodes to YouTube on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I'm posting this thread early to link people to the stream, in case they want to watch live.)

EPISODES

Part 1: That's neat
Part 2: Everybody's aiming at the fire!
Part 3: Welp, here I am
Part 4: Welcome to Wonderland, Alice
Part 5: I need an adult
Part 6: Woo woo alien technology
Part 7: Let it yoink you
Part 8: Slideshow-based culture
Part 9: Hey, it's shields!
Part 10: I want to re-quip my legs to myself
Part 11: The red pill
Part 12: Victorious!
Part 13: Now YOU are the marshmallow!
Part 14: Consider yourself humored
Part 15: That went poorly
Part 16: The Prisoner
Part 17: Save the Chertleader, save the world
Part 18: It was a *big* sun (Finale!)

pedrovay2003 fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jan 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Excellent! I really liked your base-game playthrough--I was just thinking about it the other day, in fact. Looking forward to revisiting this fantastic game with you two.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Hirayuki posted:

Excellent! I really liked your base-game playthrough--I was just thinking about it the other day, in fact. Looking forward to revisiting this fantastic game with you two.

Aw, we appreciate the kind words! We're super excited about jumping back into this one, we've been talking about it all week.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

If you've done the base game, do you have a link to the LP thread for that one?

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

SirSamVimes posted:

If you've done the base game, do you have a link to the LP thread for that one?

Absolutely!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3932802&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

In fact, that's a good idea, I'll put the link in the original post here, too.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 1 is up now! Let the exploration officially commence once again!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I'd love to watch this but I can't because its currently sitting installed and taunting me until I find some hours to just get into it.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I love your LPs. Unfortunately, I already experienced Echoes of the Eye. And to be quite honest, I did not enjoy the experience all that much. Nonetheless, I hope you will have a great time with it.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Kibayasu posted:

I'd love to watch this but I can't because its currently sitting installed and taunting me until I find some hours to just get into it.

Ha, I know exactly how you feel. I've already made peace with the fact that I'll never get through my backlog.

cant cook creole bream posted:

I love your LPs. Unfortunately, I already experienced Echoes of the Eye. And to be quite honest, I did not enjoy the experience all that much. Nonetheless, I hope you will have a great time with it.

I've heard that from a few people. No worries, and I appreciate the kind words! I'm sure we'll be doing another game in no time, and I hope you'll be there with us.

pedrovay2003 fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Nov 24, 2021

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 2 is up now! And happy Thanksgiving to our American fans!

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 3 is up now! After this one is when it starts to get nuts.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 4 is up now! Holy crap, this weirdness is what the DLC is all about.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 5 is up now, and I still haven't recovered from the dark turn that this DLC took.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 6 is up now! We're kind of stuck as far as what to do next, any suggestions?

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

pedrovay2003 posted:

Part 6 is up now! We're kind of stuck as far as what to do next, any suggestions?

Have you entered the dream world at every green campfire?

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Bootcha posted:

Have you entered the dream world at every green campfire?

Every one that we've found, I think: the three tower fires and the one next to the vault. Have we missed any?

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer

pedrovay2003 posted:

Every one that we've found, I think: the three tower fires and the one next to the vault. Have we missed any?

You haven't missed any, no.

But that last one was interesting. As was the last activity, however misguided in approach.

I would ask; you lit a theory that things in the real world, and things in the dream world, influence each other. But then you extinguished that theory. Are you assuming the two worlds are completely separate, or have you tested the theory?

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Bootcha posted:

You haven't missed any, no.

But that last one was interesting. As was the last activity, however misguided in approach.

I would ask; you lit a theory that things in the real world, and things in the dream world, influence each other. But then you extinguished that theory. Are you assuming the two worlds are completely separate, or have you tested the theory?

This is a good point, I don't think we've explicitly tested that theory yet.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Hey guys. Just as a heads-up, Amy and I won't be streaming/recording this week. With the holidays coming up, we have a lot of stuff going on, and we're just not going to be able to sit down today, even for a couple of hours. We expect to be back next week, though, so we hope to see everyone again! Thanks for understanding.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Woo, we're back, and part 7 is up now! It turns out that we need to be more brave than we were initially willing to be to get through some of these places. Ghost matter!

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 8 is up now! I'm starting to learn that we need to take way more risks in terms of what we run from/to in this game, because I feel like we've missed a lot.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I see the door in the tower still eludes you...
You're so close...
Hrmm, how to put it...

Because you've seen it before, the clue is in the diving bell.
It is not a slide reel.
But it will show you a secret.

The Owlk seemingly have a... place... where they dream of their home.
That place is very alien to you.
But the entrances to that place are familiar to you.

The place the Owlk go to, as you have seen, is not a one way trip.
So many times, you have lit the way.
But not just with your lantern.

One... two...
That feels natural.
Like breathing in. Like breathing out.

Light is your guide.
Darkness is your tool.
There is more to explore here.

Bootcha fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Dec 24, 2021

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Bootcha posted:

I see the door in the tower still eludes you...
You're so close...
Hrmm, how to put it...

Because you've seen it before, the clue is in the diving bell.
It is not a slide reel.
But it will show you a secret.

The Owlk seemingly have a... place... where they dream of their home.
That place is very alien to you.
But the entrances to that place are familiar to you.

The place the Owlk go to, as you have seen, is not a one way trip.
So many times, you have lit the way.
But not just with your lantern.

One... two...
That feels natural.
Like breathing in. Like breathing out.

Light is your guide.
Darkness is your tool.
There is more to explore here.

Holy poo poo, this is how all of those printed game guidebooks should have been written. Thanks for the hints, we're going to study this post a bunch.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 9 is up now! Thanks to Bootcha's hints, we finally got into that elusive door in the tower!

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
After some technical difficulties, part 10 is up now! More progress made this time, too. I always feel like we're not going to get anywhere, but then we get everywhere.

Glalev
Jan 28, 2009

pedrovay2003 posted:

Part 9 "This guy is such an idiot."

To be fair, it's been something like millions of years of them living their life with no one new ever. They predate the nomai, since ghost matter is in the stranger, so they've been making that trek from those houses to the party building for literal millions of years. Until the player does something to break them out of that cycle, they are basically running on automatic and barely thinking at this point.

Also, if at some point you have a loop that isn't too pressed for time, you can go see the guy in the observatory's museum who, way at the start of the game, mentioned that he worked on translating the nomai language and made the translator the player uses. He may have something to say about translating the language used in the Stranger.

Glalev fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jan 2, 2022

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Ha, yeah, I don't think anyone is actually an idiot. I am, if anyone is. 🤣

That's interesting about the guy in the museum, though, we're definitely going to have to check that out.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 11 is up now, and holy poo poo, what an episode. This is probably the most mind-blowing thing in the game so far, as far as I'm concerned.

Glalev
Jan 28, 2009

Impressive work. You took my recommendation of flashing your light at them, then concealing and sneaking past while they try to find where you went and did -amazing- work with that. And now you're peeling back the curtain to take a look at the man behind it, metaphorically, which changes a lot of the context in the strange 'dreaming' world. Amusingly, what you find after you've snuck your way to one of the forbidden archives lets you completely ignore the puzzle for the previous area. In the case of the 'put the lamp down' trick that lets you see all the hidden bridges, the big lodge has a few unadvertised secret bridges that lets you skip 90% of the place and means you don't have to play the scariest game of hide and seek with grouchy Owlks that really didn't expect or want visitors.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
We really appreciated the hints. 😁 I don't know if we ever would have realized that we could blind the pursuers, even though it seems kind of obvious in retrospect.

Glalev
Jan 28, 2009
I think the main 'hint' is that they have to use the exact same artifact as you do when looking for you, with the same advantages and disadvantages. When they shine the spotlight at you, all you see is a bright spot and nothing else. And if they're not shining their spotlight at you, all they have available for finding you again is a narrow beam or a wide close range light. So as long as you stay concealed and don't blunder into them, it's relatively easy to use that blinding spotlight to lure them in a direction and then take advantage of that confusion while they try to find you again.

Between that and the fact that they vocalize when they spot you or lose you, staying calm is the best strategy by far. Of course, sometimes, you just blunder into one you didn't know was there and get bum-rushed from the darkness.

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

Seeing one of those creepy fuckers jumping out at you early in the video is going to give me nightmares tonight.

Glalev
Jan 28, 2009

Thunderfinger posted:

Seeing one of those creepy fuckers jumping out at you early in the video is going to give me nightmares tonight.

Oh god, yes. One of them suddenly rushing at you from outside your lamp's light radius is intensely startling and I 100% believe the devs coded it so the 'sudden bum rush' range that makes them go from careful stalking to jumping out at you is EXACTLY the artifact's default light range.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Thunderfinger posted:

Yeah, those guys are ridiculous. There's definitely a set distance where they just lose their poo poo and rush you to blow out your flame (or break your back, same thing, really).

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 12 is up now, and I think my life is complete. We finally make it into the giant pit!

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

pedrovay2003 posted:

Part 12 is up now, and I think my life is complete. We finally make it into the giant pit!

FYI, the reason you don't get the 'Ship Log Updated' notifications in the secret world is because that's a projection on the HUD of your spacesuit, and you don't have the suit there.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

fractalairduct posted:

FYI, the reason you don't get the 'Ship Log Updated' notifications in the secret world is because that's a projection on the HUD of your spacesuit, and you don't have the suit there.

Oh, holy crap, I never would have put that together in my head.

Glalev
Jan 28, 2009

fractalairduct posted:

... That makes perfect sense but I marathoned the DLC and that never occurred to me. They probably appear in wherever the player character puts the helmet when taking it off to take a nap.

pedrovay2003 posted:

We finally make it into the giant pit!

That is some drat impressive juking. The one Owlk sitting in a spot you HAVE to go through to get to the pit is mean and he's the one I tried to figure out the game's sneaking on. It took me hours and a lot of rage to get past him, you just did that casually in a few minutes. The room below I had fun with though. I would lure one guy up to the entrance, then jump the fence and sprint for the exit. A big open room with paths all over like that is when light and dark tag becomes really fun to me.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer
We are 2 for 3!
And we have learned some cool things!
Gabbro would be proud!

That fireplace thing,
Those Owlk are jerks, blocking path.
Can you be a jerk?

Lessons learned, hints heard,
An interloper studies
The dark path ahead.

The owlk lodge, the bells,
Synonym for Extinguish.
It's necessary.

I think way back to,
The Original LP.
Show us what you learned.

At the end of it,
You have been a fun LP,
Thank you for the streams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Holy crap, these haikus have touched my heart. Thank you for the hints and for watching this whole time, I'm glad Amy and I can provide some entertainment!