Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Ah, the good old "just turn your brain off" defense

The opposite, you should watch what the movie is saying, rather than what you think the director or writer is saying.

For example, if a character says they are an expert, but then acts incompetently or recklessly, then that's what they are. You as the viewer should not be confused by this. You shouldn't be going "well, they said they were an expert, how could they act this way? It doesn't make any sense."

If you are of the opinion that a professional scientist wouldn't act a particular way, it's not that the movie is "wrong" it's showing that the character is acting in that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
It can be that the director/writer are making a comment on the character, or it could also be that the people making the film have no loving idea about how something works:

Hairy Right Hook
Sep 9, 2001

Hee to the ho

A not retarded person posted:

"We all thought it was a terrific script. And we made it. You can’t win all the time. I’ve never had one regret on any movie I’ve ever made. Nothing. I learned very early on to be your own critic. The only thing you should really have an opinion on is what you just did. Walk away. Make sure you’re happy. And don’t look back. That’s me.”

Yes, I say this all the time! Criticizing yourself means never analyzing the things you have done before! gently caress that idiot I was yesterday, he knows nothing about me!

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The whole point of Promethus is that the character's are all dumb and in way over their head. Human hubris is like the main theme of the movie. The deleted scene where you can tell what the engineer is saying really spells this out, as does the conversation Adam has earlier in the movie. It's totally acceptable if you find this grating or unplesant to watch, but it's not a sign of incompotent filmmaking on Scott's part.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Fsmhunk posted:

The whole point of Promethus is that the character's are all dumb and in way over their head. Human hubris is like the main theme of the movie. The deleted scene where you can tell what the engineer is saying really spells this out, as does the conversation Adam has earlier in the movie. It's totally acceptable if you find this grating or unplesant to watch, but it's not a sign of incompotent filmmaking on Scott's part.

I just finished Outriders, and it's funny how much that game's story shares with the hubris themes of Prometheus.

Personally, I enjoyed Prometheus. Most of that came from Noomi Rapace loving killing it in that movie.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Bogus Adventure posted:

It can be that the director/writer are making a comment on the character, or it could also be that the people making the film have no loving idea about how something works:

Fun fact: That NCIS scene was the result of the writers getting annoyed at all the nitpicking they were getting back when their computer stuff was more realistic, so they decided to escalate into the most ridiculous bullshit they could come up with culminating in the two people one keyboard scene.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

coolusername posted:

Fun fact: That NCIS scene was the result of the writers getting annoyed at all the nitpicking they were getting back when their computer stuff was more realistic, so they decided to escalate into the most ridiculous bullshit they could come up with culminating in the two people one keyboard scene.

Lmao, I love it

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

PeterCat posted:

The opposite, you should watch what the movie is saying, rather than what you think the director or writer is saying.

For example, if a character says they are an expert, but then acts incompetently or recklessly, then that's what they are. You as the viewer should not be confused by this. You shouldn't be going "well, they said they were an expert, how could they act this way? It doesn't make any sense."

If you are of the opinion that a professional scientist wouldn't act a particular way, it's not that the movie is "wrong" it's showing that the character is acting in that way.

I mean, I get what you're saying, but let's not pretend that director-as-auteur and "authorial intent" are things that don't happen, or that directors and screenwriters don't put subtext (or explict messages) in their works. I mean, look at The Shining. There's an entire documentary devoted to all the weird poo poo people came up with when interpreting what they think Kubrick was trying to say in that movie. Granted, most of it is absolutely batshit, but Kubrick did poo poo for his own reasons, and very rarely just put things out on the screen blatantly for the audience to go "oh, I get it now". Ridley Scott has done similar things, both with the original Alien and with Blade Runner. He's not Kubrick, but he's not Michael Bay, either.

Also I kind of disagree with your statement "if a character says they are an expert, but then acts incompetently or recklessly, then that's what they are". The movie doesn't just automatically get a pass when the highly competent space explorer/scientist does dumb poo poo like take off their helmet on an unknown alien planet or whatever. The movie has to earn that level trust from the viewer, that they'll go along with a character presented as intelligent or professional doing something out of character, by establishing that while this person may be regarded as a highly competent etc. etc., they are in fact a blithering idiot who got promoted above their competency level, or completely out of their depth in a given situation, or that they're being pressured by their higher ups. Stuff like that. It's even forgivable if the script shows that the character just made a fatal mistake because they forgot themselves in the heat of the moment or whatever, but only if they face immediate consequences directly afterwards. The director/screenwriter don't get to say "this person's an expert in their field" and then have them do everything wrong in their field, and expect us to just blithely go "oh well, that's just what they did, I guess :shrug:". That's just lazy scriptwriting.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

It's true to life though.

Let's use a real world example. IDK if you've heard the story of LTC Arthur "Bud" Holland of the US Air Force. He was an experienced and talented B-52 pilot how had a history of pushing the limits, ignoring the rules, and eventually killed himself and his crew when he crashed a B-52 while trying to perform a barrel roll.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_Fairchild_Air_Force_Base_B-52_crash

His case is the logical endpoint of a character like Maverick from Top Gun. Maverick was a genius behind the stick, but thinks he's special and above the rules and the logical endpoint of his career is something like what happened to LTC Holland.

No on can say that the real or fictional pilots are not experts, or that they were inexperienced, or under pressure from above, but their personalities are ones of taking risks beyond common sense or even rules or regulations.

Now take the character of Dr. Charlie Holloway. He is apparently an archeologist of some skill and he and Noomi Rapace's character have made a study of ancient artifacts that leads them to the belief that aliens visited Earth and left a map to the stars, which ends up being correct.

He is also shown to be arrogant and brash, thinks the rules do not apply to him, and takes his helmet off in an alien environment, which is not a smart thing to do but does not seem to be out of character for him.

The other characters in the movie that people don't like the actions of are a geologist who has no problem taking a multi-year mission to the unknown for the money, and a biologist who dies in a manner similar to the Crocodile Hunter.

None of this is bad writing.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Reality is unrealistic.

But yeah, it's like I've said about the Star Wars prequels- even being charitable with how Anakin's relationships as shown are supposed to be dysfunctional, that he and Padme are basically two emotionally immature people in puppy love and/or blowing off the incredible amount of stress they're under by loving- has trouble because Hollywood audiences have spent literally a century being presented with even more dysfunctional relationships (see romantic subplots and basically any romcom) as perfectly normal and even ideal.

'Turn off your brain' is a thing mostly because audiences are so used to being treated as rock stupid that so much media is outright made expecting them to be. And it doesn't have to be this way! Audiences can pick up on and respond to the movie trying to have a dialogue with them, even if they don't immediately understand every little thing! All the crazy theories, ambiguity and symbolism of the Shining are things that people like about it!

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

To be fair, most audiences are stupid as rocks. People took Starship Troopers at face value despite it being a) directed by Paul Verhoeven, and b) dressing the troopers like Nazis.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Bogus Adventure posted:

To be fair, most audiences are stupid as rocks. People took Starship Troopers at face value despite it being a) directed by Paul Verhoeven, and b) dressing the troopers like Nazis.

Thing is that it works perfectly well as a stock action movie taken at face value, with the point being that the formula is already near indistinguishable from Nazi propaganda, let alone the original story.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Thing is that it works perfectly well as a stock action movie taken at face value, with the point being that the formula is already near indistinguishable from Nazi propaganda, let alone the original story.

Sometimes you run into that, supposedly Coppola was trying to make LTC Kilgore look insane and murderous in Apocalypse Now and the helicopter assault still comes off as the coolest set piece in the movie and the dude basically became a model for future Air Cavalrymen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohcvIHNbOHc&t=15s

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Bogus Adventure posted:

yeah but also you have to be a genius like Verhoeven to make directing flat acting performances on purpose as a thing

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

I also saw Starship Troopers when I was like 12 because "hey cool dumb space movie", well before I had the gray matter to appreciate satire.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Sydney Bottocks posted:

The facehugger busted thru Kane's helmet's faceshield like it was made of wet paper so that doesn't really even apply here anyways

People complain because in the first Alien they did an atmospheric analysis of the planet and thus kept their spacesuits and helmets on, instead of going "hey let's just take these off like we're in a 1950s sci-fi movie where the planet just conveniently has the same type of atmosphere as a California desert"

In other words people in the first Alien had logical and sensible reactions to things (aside from Brett, who was dumb enough to let the cat go and then hang out by himself in a dark and dank room when there was a weird alien creature that'd already killed one crewmember on the loose). In Prometheus people just do dumb poo poo because IITS (It's In The Script)

In Prometheus they also scanned the air, and the computer said it was fine. that's why the dude took his helmet off and was fine.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

coolusername posted:

That rules. Like, obviously these guys know how a keyboard works, they're writers. The idea that they're so dumb they couldn't realise that you can't type with two people on the same keyboard is very silly.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

Brother Tadger posted:

Also, how does winning a duel prove you are innocent of rape?

See if the man can beat the other dude using fancy swordplay then he's clearly such a sexy best the sex must have been consensual.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Poohs Packin posted:

I also saw Starship Troopers when I was like 12 because "hey cool dumb space movie", well before I had the gray matter to appreciate satire.

:hfive:

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

PeterCat posted:

a biologist who dies in a manner similar to the Crocodile Hunter.

None of this is bad writing.

LMAO

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

*A character operates against every human survival instinct, using their training to justify getting themselves into even more danger than the average layman*

"Everyone makes mistakes guys this is good writing. Just like when God wrote the Croc Hunter out of season 2006!"

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

You guys act like youve been in space and know what its like lol you will never know

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Poohs Packin posted:

You guys act like youve been in space and know what its like lol you will never know

It's going to be boring. Just like everything else we do. That's humanity's superpower.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
Alien is maybe my favorite series but as much as I wanted to like Covenant, I just couldn't.

Sometimes putting a Comedy Person in a Serious Movie results in a really cool dynamic without being overbearing or grating, but other times it results in something like Danny Mcbride not meshing at all, just not fitting into the whole thing.

I liked reading about that awful, quippy Wedon-esque dialog writing. It's nice to see that it's a recognized pattern or style. And I hate everything about it.

But it's for the kids. I'm at peace with the fact that I've aged out of the target demographic for 80% of products now at 41 and understand that the world will keep moving on without me. That also means teens and such tend to really like those snappy dialog exchanges.

Being older, I instead prefer a little thing I call, heh, character development . God it's so arduous being intellectually superior and also handsome and cool

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Floodixor posted:

Alien is maybe my favorite series but as much as I wanted to like Covenant, I just couldn't.

Sometimes putting a Comedy Person in a Serious Movie results in a really cool dynamic without being overbearing or grating, but other times it results in something like Danny Mcbride not meshing at all, just not fitting into the whole thing.

I liked reading about that awful, quippy Wedon-esque dialog writing. It's nice to see that it's a recognized pattern or style. And I hate everything about it.

But it's for the kids. I'm at peace with the fact that I've aged out of the target demographic for 80% of products now at 41 and understand that the world will keep moving on without me. That also means teens and such tend to really like those snappy dialog exchanges.

Being older, I instead prefer a little thing I call, heh, character development . God it's so arduous being intellectually superior and also handsome and cool

Please pull forward to collect your order

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
I like cute girl flexin her guns. Thats my review of Ridley scotts career

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

sure okay posted:

*A character operates against every human survival instinct, using their training to justify getting themselves into even more danger than the average layman*

"Everyone makes mistakes guys this is good writing. Just like when God wrote the Croc Hunter out of season 2006!"

Speaking of bad writing, I don't even know what you're trying to say here.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Floodixor posted:

If you are 40, then know that you are exactly in the middle of the age cohort this poo poo is made for. None of the pop culture garbage is made for kids, that's just an excuse as to why it's allowed to be irredeemable trash.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

steinrokkan posted:

If you are 40, then know that you are exactly in the middle of the age cohort this poo poo is made for. None of the pop culture garbage is made for kids, that's just an excuse as to why it's allowed to be irredeemable trash.

Exactly. It’s why we are seeing this 90s/early 00s nostalgia wave of IP. They remade Space Jam for man-children, not actual children

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I really like the Phantom Menace, it's a cool series of slapstick physical comedy setpieces that's broken up by almost 30-45 minutes of the most boringest stuff ever on tattooine. However, it's still a fun space adventure romp and if you step off of your Hollywood high horse you'd see that it's a kickass movie

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Buschmaki posted:

I really like the Phantom Menace, it's a cool series of slapstick physical comedy setpieces that's broken up by almost 30-45 minutes of the most boringest stuff ever on tattooine. However, it's still a fun space adventure romp and if you step off of your Hollywood high horse you'd see that it's a kickass movie

Jar Jar Binks was ill-conceived and if he had not been in the movie, or at least had not had that voice and accent, TPM would not have the reputation it does.

Everything else was pretty decent, the sound design of the movie was amazing.

I mean, I went and saw it multiple times for the spectacle alone.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

PeterCat posted:

Jar Jar Binks was ill-conceived and if he had not been in the movie, or at least had not had that voice and accent, TPM would not have the reputation it does.

Everything else was pretty decent, the sound design of the movie was amazing.

I mean, I went and saw it multiple times for the spectacle alone.

*In extremely offensive asian accent done by a white voice actor* "Huuuuuuurrrrrh process dem....." drat nute gunray owns

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Buschmaki posted:

*In extremely offensive asian accent done by a white voice actor* "Huuuuuuurrrrrh process dem....." drat nute gunray owns

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Buschmaki posted:

Seal off the thread!

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
i leave the forums for ONE hour while I'm finishing up work and I come back to people saying ep 1 isn't a crock of poo poo wtf

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

I never realized till now that Nute Gunray is a Martian from Spaced Invaders.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

PeterCat posted:

I never realized till now that Nute Gunray is a Martian from Spaced Invaders.

I loving love Spaced Invaders. It's such a great movie.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

The character development in it, from the nerdy gas station attendant turning into a powerful cyber genius enthralled to the alien commander's whim is :discourse:

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I was like 12 years old when things weren't going well at home but I was alone with the TV for NYE and they were going to play EP1 which I hadn't seen in theatres.

My thinking was "Life is a crock of shine but I liked the older Star Wars so for the next two hours I'll get to be happy seeing a classic before it's time".

Even 12 year old me knew that it was not a well-made film.

Won't forgive them for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Man what is wrong with SA we have people being like "dumb thing is for kids and if they're happy I'm happy" rather than insisting they are traumatised an IP didn't cater to their wants.

We'll never have hilarious meltdowns it at this rate.