Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

sure okay posted:

*A character operates against every human survival instinct, using their training to justify getting themselves into even more danger than the average layman*

"Everyone makes mistakes guys this is good writing. Just like when God wrote the Croc Hunter out of season 2006!"

That's more a case of Steve Irwin rolling a natural 1. Or the stingray a 20.

Buschmaki posted:

*In extremely offensive asian accent done by a white voice actor* "Huuuuuuurrrrrh process dem....." drat nute gunray owns

It gets funny since the Trade Federation are meant to be American capitalists, and Nute Gunray is a mix of Newt Gingrich and Ronald Reagan. It's the Ferengi all over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That's more a case of Steve Irwin rolling a natural 1. Or the stingray a 20.

Not so! Irwin actually made a bad decision there. He and his cameraman saw an 8-foot(!!!) wide ray and decided it would be cool to get a shot of the ray swimming over the camera, and to do that Steve trapped the ray between him and the cameraman and advanced on it, assuming it would do the normal ray thing of getting scared and swimming away.

Turns out when you trap an animal between two people to get a shot, and then start to close in on it, it might flip the gently caress out.

The ray, instead of calmly swimming away as he assumed, did what a trapped animal does and lashed out. It flipped around and immediately tore a 2-inch gash through his body that happened to be straight over his heart (that's the '20' the stingray rolled) and then it stabbed into the same gash so viciously and severely it basically turned Steve's heart into mincemeat in his chest. He died fairly quickly in his cameraman's arms.

Irwin died doing exactly what people warned him would kill him one day - underestimating and harassing an animal until it attacked him while defending itself. The fact that he and his cameraman assumed it was a gentle animal who would be easy to push around is part of what ended up killing him, because he basically figured if he's handled deadly creatures there's no way a ray would be a threat (again, an 8-FOOT WINGSPAN ray). WELP.

Don't try to use wild animals to 'get the shot', kids.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Nov 28, 2021

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

runnypoops posted:

i leave the forums for ONE hour while I'm finishing up work and I come back to people saying ep 1 isn't a crock of poo poo wtf

The worst elements of society lurk on the internet to live out their deranged fantasies under the shroud of anonymity

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

steinrokkan posted:

The worst elements of society lurk on the internet to live out their deranged fantasies under the shroud of anonymity

There's always a bigger fish...

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
If you watch a foreign dub of EP1 that doesn't have minstrel show racism innit, it's not that bad

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP

steinrokkan posted:

If you are 40, then know that you are exactly in the middle of the age cohort this poo poo is made for. None of the pop culture garbage is made for kids, that's just an excuse as to why it's allowed to be irredeemable trash.

Oh absolutely, like the wave of movie producers and studios who understand that the kids grew up and now they have money to shovel into transformers or he man etc etc, but also I'm actually 41 not 40 so everything you said is wrong now

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Im thinking about this popculture being made for man children and its true to be sure, but hasn't this always been the way?

I mean maybe im wrong but before all this comic book, star wars franchise hellscapes, was it not all mostly just cowboys and adventure tales appealing to boomer man children?

I think the major difference now is the merchandising aspect. Its not enough to just make a movie, its gotts also be a toy and a video game and a mug and a tshirt and a hat and a nightmarish mountain of other crap that's then also got a million knock off variants making the sheer amount of stuff just so overwhelming and ugly and pollutinous that we're all gonna die surrounding by images of hulk and captain amerrica looking all grisly.

naem
May 29, 2011

Zeniel posted:

Im thinking about this popculture being made for man children and its true to be sure, but hasn't this always been the way?

I mean maybe im wrong but before all this comic book, star wars franchise hellscapes, was it not all mostly just cowboys and adventure tales appealing to boomer man children?

I think the major difference now is the merchandising aspect. Its not enough to just make a movie, its gotts also be a toy and a video game and a mug and a tshirt and a hat and a nightmarish mountain of other crap that's then also got a million knock off variants making the sheer amount of stuff just so overwhelming and ugly and pollutinous that we're all gonna die surrounding by images of hulk and captain amerrica looking all grisly.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Zeniel posted:

Movies never were as much of a monoculture as they are now, it wasn't as though you'd have to actively avoid seeing a John Wayne movie. And even within the predominant genre, it wasn't all made by one company (Disney).

It's mostly because budgets have skyrocketed way beyond what is sustainable, so the only safe strategy is to make the same proven movie over and over again.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It gets funny since the Trade Federation are meant to be American capitalists, and Nute Gunray is a mix of Newt Gingrich and Ronald Reagan. It's the Ferengi all over again.

This makes me love Nute Gunray even more, lmao

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Not so! Irwin actually made a bad decision there. He and his cameraman saw an 8-foot(!!!) wide ray and decided it would be cool to get a shot of the ray swimming over the camera, and to do that Steve trapped the ray between him and the cameraman and advanced on it, assuming it would do the normal ray thing of getting scared and swimming away.

Turns out when you trap an animal between two people to get a shot, and then start to close in on it, it might flip the gently caress out.

The ray, instead of calmly swimming away as he assumed, did what a trapped animal does and lashed out. It flipped around and immediately tore a 2-inch gash through his body that happened to be straight over his heart (that's the '20' the stingray rolled) and then it stabbed into the same gash so viciously and severely it basically turned Steve's heart into mincemeat in his chest. He died fairly quickly in his cameraman's arms.

Irwin died doing exactly what people warned him would kill him one day - underestimating and harassing an animal until it attacked him while defending itself. The fact that he and his cameraman assumed it was a gentle animal who would be easy to push around is part of what ended up killing him, because he basically figured if he's handled deadly creatures there's no way a ray would be a threat (again, an 8-FOOT WINGSPAN ray). WELP.

So basically what you're saying is he lived to a ripe old age for a crocodile hunter

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

StrangersInTheNight posted:

This is the oddest antivaxx argument I've ever seen, but I'll allow it

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Zeniel posted:

It’s definitely gotten worse over the last 10-15 years to the point where even poo poo like Disney’s rebels cartoon is “officially a childrens show” but it’s really for 30 and 40 year olds. That’s why they loaded it with old EU stuff like Thrawn and Tie Defenders. Same poo poo with all these DC and Marvel films and all the 80s movie revivals like Blade Runner, Tron, Ghostbusters, etc. these films ain’t being made for the art I’ll tell you that

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
My age group is being pandered to hard core.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Hollywood & Streaming Services believe that by making movies and TV shows that reference past movies and TV shows will get them more money from the paying public. So far, the paying public has rewarded them for this.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

I agree with Mike Stoklasa. I miss when GB and other 80s movies were just movies and not some kind of holy text that has to have every piece dissected and worshiped.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Yeah, but how ELSE will you create a new cinematic universe?

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

Zeniel posted:

yes you are wrong

your timeline isn’t even close to being correct

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

curlys gold posted:

yes you are wrong

your timeline isn’t even close to being correct

a subtly great post/username combo

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

i mean MAYBE you can draw a parallel with hammer studios repackaging the universal monsters that kids watched on 1950s television but that’s still kind of a big stretch

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

curlys gold posted:

i mean MAYBE you can draw a parallel with hammer studios repackaging the universal monsters that kids watched on 1950s television but that’s still kind of a big stretch

Oooo Hammer films

I remember watching ancient even then black and white Peter Cushing vampire movies on Saturday afternoons when I was like 8 through thirteen and loving it.

I remember rewatching every year one obscure movie where these turtlish one long tentacle eyed evil aliens cornered a town in the barn.

When hacked apart it was so obviously chicken noodle soup inside lol
Good movie tho

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Noob Saibot posted:

It’s definitely gotten worse over the last 10-15 years to the point where even poo poo like Disney’s rebels cartoon is “officially a childrens show” but it’s really for 30 and 40 year olds. That’s why they loaded it with old EU stuff like Thrawn and Tie Defenders. Same poo poo with all these DC and Marvel films and all the 80s movie revivals like Blade Runner, Tron, Ghostbusters, etc. these films ain’t being made for the art I’ll tell you that

Blade Runner 2049 rocks. Don't mention my man Denis in the same breath as those other hacks.

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

Spinz posted:

Oooo Hammer films

I remember watching ancient even then black and white Peter Cushing vampire movies on Saturday afternoons when I was like 8 through thirteen and loving it.

I remember rewatching every year one obscure movie where these turtlish one long tentacle eyed evil aliens cornered a town in the barn.

When hacked apart it was so obviously chicken noodle soup inside lol
Good movie tho

That’s “Island of Terror” and it owns.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

curlys gold posted:

“Island of Terror” owns.

It's awesome and there's a funny bit at the end where we cut to Japan and there's made up "oriental" writing on a sign. Film is very modern with its violence but still from a different world

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

curlys gold posted:

That’s “Island of Terror” and it owns.

Omg IT IS
Thank you!!!! Gonna read up lol

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

if we want to talk about boomers remaking their childhood favorites that would be james cameron basically using THEM! as a template for aliens

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

i want to see it because its exactly the kind of poo poo i like but i dont want to watch people pretend to rape or be raped, so i dont know. is it as graphic as i have heard? maybe he should make movies with less of that and more people will see it

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

DamnitGannet posted:

i want to see it because its exactly the kind of poo poo i like but i dont want to watch people pretend to rape or be raped, so i dont know. is it as graphic as i have heard? maybe he should make movies with less of that and more people will see it

It's not really graphic The female lead gets bent over a bed and her dress pulled up but you don't see anything..

It's a roshemon style movie so only one time is actually traumatic so to speak.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

drat, that is one hell of a mullet

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

Pillbug

Bogus Adventure posted:

drat, that is one hell of a mullet

The whole movie is great for hair. Ben Affleck has bleached bangs, kind of a late 90s boy band look, and Adam Driver has a bit of a grunge bass player thing going on.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Old movies gently caress rear end.
New movies suck rear end.

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013
If there's one thing that boomers and millennials can agree on it's that millennials still qualify as the youth.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

Pillbug

SilkyP posted:

Old movies gently caress rear end.
New movies suck rear end.

Eating the groceries is all the rage right now, though, so do you mean that new movies are awesome?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Smeef posted:

The whole movie is great for hair. Ben Affleck has bleached bangs, kind of a late 90s boy band look, and Adam Driver has a bit of a grunge bass player thing going on.

It is loving incredible. I really want to see a Sir Red of Neck movie where a knight errant named Gomer le Pyle and his squire Goober of Mayberry travel the land, righting wrongs with a well said shazam.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I just watched the movie and I thought it was pretty good

[edit] if you aint wearing a mullet or side cut when wearing a helmet you deserve when it pulls your hair out!

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

If any UK goons are interested they just added this movie to Disney Plus here. It might be out in some other regions too. I’m going to watch it tonight

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
Yeah, I saw this last night and it was pretty good. The duel at the end was decent. Only problem I had was near the end when Marguerite says that after having the baby, maybe she shouldn't have said anything and kept quiet.. That kinda sucked. But hey, Ben Affleck as party prince was great.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I like Ben Affleck and Matt Daemon. :shrug:

naem
May 29, 2011

Swards is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon