Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Who will be the next El Hadji Diouf?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

CyberPingu posted:

Who will be the next El Hadji Diouf?

If Canada manage to qualify and don't lose every game I feel like they're all getting prem deals. Leeds are still in for Aaronson provided they don't get relegated and I feel like a Canadian will be the cool new accessory for 2023

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
Copenhagen had a Canadian before it was cool.

(we miss you Atiba, those were the days)

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

the sex ghost posted:

If Canada manage to qualify and don't lose every game I feel like they're all getting prem deals. Leeds are still in for Aaronson provided they don't get relegated and I feel like a Canadian will be the cool new accessory for 2023

this is correct :cool:

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Fresh batch of qomplaints coming in. I tried getting some choice quotes but ended up just being a full c/p of the article. Did like this bit though:

quote:

The Norwegian FA president’s speech was followed by an unexpected address from the general secretary of the Honduran FA, José Ernesto Mejía, who said it was not “the right forum or the right moment” to make such remarks.

Do not talk about the FIFA's culpability in enabling the most comically corrupt and bloodstained world cup since the last one at the FIFA congress.

Also very cool of FIFA to tell us about all their constructive dialogues with the country where it is illegal to be gay and fans' safety has still not been fully guaranteed. From another article today:

quote:

Nassar al-Khater, the Qatar World Cup chief executive, has previously said: “I would like to assure any fan, of any gender, [sexual] orientation, religion, race to rest assured that Qatar is one of the most safe countries in the world — and they’ll all be welcome here.”

He talked then about “a lot of training going into security personnel” and said: “Public displays of affection is frowned upon, it’s not part of our culture – but that goes across the board to everybody.”

All goals to be celebrated with a firm handshake, Mark Hughes going wild in the crowd

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
We don't just discriminate against gays, we hate everyone!

Thank you, Qatar, for that sturdy moral defense.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/amphitryoniades/status/1510620386513334275?t=C3ETBKZZoFBt04ACu2G4hQ&s=19

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Don't miss this in the replies.

https://twitter.com/ARKCFC/status/1510639466997850116

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://www.espn.com/soccer/fifa-world-cup/story/4635658/qatar-world-cup-organizers-admit-workers-were-exploited

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
We exploited some folks

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Just realised the world cup was supposed to be rapidly approaching but now we have to wait till the end of the year.

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
:redflag:
and it will be shite and gross

-nawilo_420

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
Hope this gains traction beyond European captains.

https://apnews.com/article/soccer-s...aign=position_8

quote:

World Cup captains want to wear rainbow armbands in Qatar

GENEVA (AP) — FIFA came under pressure Wednesday from several European soccer federations who want their captains to wear an armband with a rainbow heart design during World Cup games in Qatar to campaign against discrimination.

France and Germany, the last two World Cup champions, were among eight of the 13 European soccer teams going to Qatar who joined the “One Love” campaign, which started in the Netherlands. The Dutch team plays Qatar in Group A on Nov. 29.

FIFA rules prohibit teams from bringing their own armband designs to the World Cup and insist they must use equipment provided by the governing body.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Qatar conscripts civilians for World Cup security roles

Qatar has called up hundreds of civilians, including diplomats summoned back from overseas, for mandatory military service operating security checkpoints at World Cup stadiums, according to a source and documents seen by Reuters.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
lmao Qatar is a mess

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/sep/27/qatar-calling-diplomats-home-for-military-service-at-world-cup

My favorite bit is right at the end...

"The 80,000-capacity Lusail Stadium, built for the final, had its first near-capacity crowd earlier this month. Fans leaving the stadium queued for hours for the metro and organisers ran out of water at half-time on a hot late-summer Gulf evening."

They ran out of WATER.

Octo1
May 7, 2009

Grimson posted:

Qatar conscripts civilians for World Cup security roles

Qatar has called up hundreds of civilians, including diplomats summoned back from overseas, for mandatory military service operating security checkpoints at World Cup stadiums, according to a source and documents seen by Reuters.

Doubtful. I haven't heard anything about this here in Qatar.

Going to be a total poo poo show regardless.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Have there been any reports of how attendance is shaping up for this? I can’t imagine anyone actually going to this train wreck.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I think a lot of people are going to go. It's the world cup, after all.

Saw a news story about people not finding accommodation because it's too sparse and expensive. apparently there are like portable living arrangements and basically field tents being set up for $$$ a night.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

ilmucche posted:

field tents being set up for $$$ a night.
The Fyre World Cup

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

ilmucche posted:

I think a lot of people are going to go. It's the world cup, after all.

Saw a news story about people not finding accommodation because it's too sparse and expensive. apparently there are like portable living arrangements and basically field tents being set up for $$$ a night.

last i heard they were rolling up a bunch of cruise ships in the harbour where the kufir can drink and be gay or a woman

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Still plenty of time to sort out where to get water and security guards before the big kickoff in *checks calendar* seven weeks???

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

https://twitter.com/NcGeehan/status/1577196432226136064?s=20&t=Ipjd2Hy94J8_FGIcOrPr4w

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://www.nrk.no/sport/everyone-going-to-the-world-cup-must-have-this-app---experts-are-now-sounding-the-alarm-1.16139267

quote:

Everyone going to the World Cup must have this app - experts are now sounding the alarm
Security experts believe Qatar's required mobile app will be like giving the World Cup country's authorities the key to your house.

In particular, the covid-19 app Ehteraz asks for access to several rights on your mobile., like access to read, delete or change all content on the phone, as well as access to connect to WiFi and Bluetooth, override other apps and prevent the phone from switching off to sleep mode.

The Ehteraz app, which everyone over 18 coming to Qatar must download, also gets a number of other accesses such as an overview of your exact location, the ability to make direct calls via your phone and the ability to disable your screen lock.

The Hayya app does not ask for as much, but also has a number of critical aspects. Among other things, the app asks for access to share your personal information with almost no restrictions. In addition, the Hayya app provides access to determine the phone's exact location, prevent the device from going into sleep mode, and view the phone's network connections.

Well this seems loving insane

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
This is gonna be the shittest world cup ever lmao

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

lmao what's a World Cup but a chance to get spyware onto several millions people's phones?

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/oct/15/qatar-world-cup-tv-reports-restrictions

They've also now announced media are not allowed to film anywhere but 3 officially designated places and stadiums so no interviewing workers in their homes. Lmao

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

https://twitter.com/MiddleEastEye/status/1583948638946234369?s=20&t=AfgHRYyEg7HyiGuZyTM6tQ

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

If you actually go to this world cup, enjoy your vacation and then immediately kill yourself

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I've got a friend going and he's expecting to get thrown in the sober zone or qatari jail (they're the same thing)

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
The foreign secretary has pinpointed the problem with Qatar's anti-LGBTQ laws: it's those entitled gay fans who aren't showing enough respect for other people's culture!

quote:

Cleverly said: “I have spoken to the Qatari authorities in the past about gay football fans going to watch the World Cup and how they will treat our fans and international fans. They want to make sure that football fans are safe, secure and enjoy themselves. And they know that that means they are going to have to make some compromises in terms of what is an Islamic country with a very different set of cultural norms to our own.

“One of the things I would say for football fans is, you know, please do be respectful of the host nation. They are trying to ensure that people can be themselves and enjoy the football, and I think with a little bit of flex and compromise at both ends, it can be a safe, secure and exciting World Cup.”

From here: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/oct/26/uk-minister-criticised-over-call-for-gay-world-cup-fans-to-show-respect-in-qatar

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

https://apnews.com/article/world-cup-technology-sports-soccer-religion-5af544d34cded38ff4093587d2efa0de

https://twitter.com/jsrailton/status/1585667627262906369?s=46&t=zFCSPJV8F368wj2mebhqag

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

the policing situation sounds like a mess

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63477302

quote:

"The focus is to try and prevent unfortunate misunderstandings where fans inadvertently cause offence," he said.

Those "unfortunate misunderstandings" could stem from fans drinking alcohol, taking shirts off, waving flags, gathering in large numbers and other stereotypes that come with football fan culture.

quote:

Fans will only be permitted to drink in the designated fan areas, one of which is a fan park which can hold up to 40,000 people and will show matches on big screens.

The other is a paid ticket event with DJ's which may not attract fans in numbers as the cheapest tickets are said to start from £75.

Are there really only 2 places fans are allowed to drink outside the stadiums?

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
Ah yes that sounds like a plan made without input from anyone who isn't a cishet man and might not feel safe in a predominantly male space where intoxicants are consumed in a sectarian atmosphere.

Big surprise.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Concerned about football fans getting rowdy? Why not try shoving 40,000 of them into a park and telling them it's the only place in the entire country where they're allowed to drink! What could go wrong?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

They're going to run out of booze by like 2pm on a regular basis.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Ah yes the last thing we want at the World Cup: fans showing up and gathering in large numbers

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

the sex ghost posted:

This is gonna be the shittest world cup ever lmao

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

ilmucche posted:

Are there really only 2 places fans are allowed to drink outside the stadiums?

That paid ticket event came up on Football Weekly a while back. It's the Arcadia from Glastonbury and looks like this. Think it travels around the world for the rest of the year. Anyway, it starts at €80 to get in and runs from 10am-6am. I can only imagine the cost of booze in there will be extortionate and being at something like that in a desert surrounded by people only there because they can get drunk sounds like hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
I hope no one goes to this loving thing and the stadiums are half empty and silent.