Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

the sex ghost posted:

Hoping for stadiums to have a WWE style wall of tellies for fans who can't make it. Maybe those CGI fans they had for the baseball last year

Christmas market log cabins selling £5 pints of gluhwein mixed with a Scotland v Brazil game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Which stadium most looks like a giant vagina?

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

They’ll be able to track every fan using the official required app so the opportunities for drunken shenanigans seem slim anyway;

https://www.nrk.no/sport/everyone-going-to-the-world-cup-must-have-this-app---experts-are-now-sounding-the-alarm-1.16139267

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Feel like giving Mexico and the US a big total to chase won’t end brilliantly

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

They paid the England band off and some of them are there as ambassadors

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

the sex ghost posted:

Trying to sleep in my freezing tent in the middle of the desert while the rent a cops teargas a load of French ultras. Hanging up the do not disturb sign on my thin piece of cloth

Just like a waving door, a waving door…

Total Meatlove fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Nov 15, 2022

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

vyelkin posted:

As a followup to the earlier discussion about pundits and retired players having no excuse for going to Qatar, even Philipp "The Super League is the future of football" Lahm says Qatar is poo poo and he won't go.

Maybe Muller can get him a job on his horse wanking farm

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

They are so rich they don’t have to care

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Insurrectionist posted:

Im thinking of going to F1, would be nice to watch a sport not totally beholden to corporations that has no questionable events held in or near the middle east and I feel I've got the right pick here

If you pick cricket instead you can be on the ground floor of major league cricket in the states

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

Man todays match really starting to put this World Cup in ‘ top ten’ territory

Gotta wait til next Wednesday for the ‘Journo? What Journo?’ derby though :(

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Mickolution posted:

Genuine question, what do you call it?

lizzies lions and the lost 26 :britain:

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

You’re just angering the tripedal tax dodgers

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Charlie’s Angels?

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

jesus i knew they were freaky but goddamn

That’s South Korea and it’s a real problem OP

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Arivia posted:

why does the world cup need eight new stadiums anyway

there's 3? 4? matches per day, so even assuming you can only play one match a day (getting people in and out, groundskeeping) that's still 4 stadiums. or does it take a whole extra day off to reset a stadium?

Traditionally you’re hosting the World Cup over 6-7 cities, and timing the expansion or redevelopment of some of the stadia/surrounding areas to coincide with your bidding, so having 6-8 modern 60k+ stadia is a lasting and positive legacy sustainable by your domestic league. Germany did it in ‘06, so you saw the Allianz Arena built (with the requisite corruption scandal) and Dortmund's ground upgraded.

Because each country association operates on a one man one vote system, canny FIFA Presidents like Havelange and Blatter made the expansion of the World Cup to all confederations on a tick-tock cycle a key plank in their electioneering, alongside brown envelope deals on World Cup broadcast rights and the expansion of the competition to more teams.* There is also a lot of political history between FIFA and UEFA as the strongest and richest of the confederations, and then a lot more politics beyond that because of actual history.

You can argue that it is a good and laudable aim to move the World Cup away from being hosted permanently by UEFA nations, but to give legitimacy to the FIFA direction the requirements to act as World Cup host weren’t changed, so all grounds must meet minimum capacities that are hard to maintain for weaker domestic leagues. There’s the added benefit that if you’re spending billions of taxpayer money on these new venues that the opportunities for grifting multiply exponentially for everybody involved. There’s the added, added benefit that hosts qualify automatically and so different countries have an opportunity to enjoy the World Cup. Italy excepted.

Where it gets tricky is justifying the white elephant stadia slowly rotting away in the Amazon/South Africa. Similar to how the IOC don’t want anyone looking too closely at the legacy of abandoned concrete structures in Athens post 04.

Qatar can barely justify a ground the size of Stamford Bridge, the rest are just bollocks posturing. They might spend some money to maintain them past the point their rotting would cause embarrassment but I don’t think they’ll be arsed.

* Italia 90 , USA 94, France 98, South Korea and Japan 02, Germany 06 , South Africa 10, Brazil 14, Russia 18 , Qatar 22, CUM 26. The change in voting patterns and the move to announcing two hosts at a time hosed it slightly and it now appears to be a tick-tock-tock cycle, though there’s a strong shout Uruguay might get 2030 for the centennial.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

joepinetree posted:

Once again, this is not at all a UEFA vs FIFA thing. Only 22 federations vote on host, and Spain/Portugal and Qatar traded votes (estimated about 7 of the 12 votes Qatar won were gotten that way). UEFA was every bit complicit with Qatar

Only 22 voted because two FIFA exec members got caught touting for bribes in the bidding process, and those exec members were put in place by their confederation countries. It should have been 24.

Every bid from outside UEFA for ‘18 was strongly discouraged and pushed to ‘22, so that it could return to Europe after South Africa/Brazil. Qatar bought every vote they got with football clubs and watches.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Think either I’ve written a defence of UEFA I’m not seeing or you’re reading one I’ve not given.

UEFA are and were up to their necks in awarding and moving the World Cup, as was the French government with PSG. As was the ECA and Rummenigge and the really nice friend with the 100k euro watches.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

i say swears online posted:

this post is racist and also very funny

Think you’re missing some context, a song that reminds you of the good times maybe?

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

You can’t ask Hazard to put his own arse on the line

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

karmicknight posted:

Sounds like a big L for Nike.

Massive win for puma though