Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
https://twitter.com/RobHarris/status/1593877426244812800?s=20&t=k6KI8lXJPxjnpoUnxPO4EA

What I love the most about rich arab gulf potentates is that fundamentally they truly understand the one thing western officials truly understand, Money and hypocrisy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

maybe the simplest answer is that the money they're getting from the gulf states isnt illegal at all.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

I'm not gonna lie if any of the gulf royals gave me as much money as the qatari's gave Infantino I will immediately sell all of you out and dive into my money pile. I wont even bother defending it. I wish these westerner officials would stop pretending they're something more than just a money grubbing hypocrite and just say 'gently caress you I'm a millionare now eat poo poo losers'. that's the only argument that would be morally consistent with the types to who go do LIV gold of something.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Nov 19, 2022

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Israelis should be banned from anything sports, culture or humanities related until they start treating the Palestinians like human beings.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Would anyone actually care if Qatar openly bribed to win the opening match? Who cares? Whatever dude this whole thing is run by the biggest crooks on earth.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

I love it when these guys become hardcore Arab nationalists when you wave enough Benjamins in their faces.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

drat i didnt know the Adobe-Pantone copyright problems was THAT bad people cant even use the colors on photoshop to print stuff with anymore!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Why are the Qatari spectators so miserable isn’t this their big day

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Not gonna lie this World Cup is off to a really bad wet fart what a miserable opening ceremony and crowd

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

dsriggs posted:

Imagine having the choice of Australia, Japan, South Korea & the USA & being like, "No actually, we'll go with Qatar instead" & being STUNNED when it turns out lovely.

Nothing wrong with trying new things

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

I think the big issue is also that gulf states are incredibly loving boring places that don’t offer any real value of flying 5,000 miles to go to if you’re not a scam artist consultant, a literal criminal or underworld type, a military contractor, or a migrant worker who needs to survive and make a living. Like there’s no real value proposition to be had in going to qatar to spend four weeks there or frankly any of the other surrounding countries in terms of being a tourist who wants to have fun.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Piers morgan as always the biggest rear end in a top hat in the rear end vortex that is British media

https://twitter.com/piersmorgan/status/1594380221356072960?s=20&t=FRMsthX1J7MLPm5FwAPmNg

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

say what you will about the English team but their fans know how to have a good time

https://twitter.com/SundayChants/status/1594605485587677186?s=20&t=0CTx74XfXLkwZjrr4vak2g

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Butterfly Valley posted:

Being a rich Qatari failson looks like a miserable existence if you're so desperate for validation and company to fill your cavernously empty TV room that you'll pull scousers off the street

I regularly go visit people who have these sorts of rooms, it's cavernous yes but it does alot of things, it's not just a TV room.

1- it's the main guest room where people bring large family gatherings and strangers to the house and not the family room.

2- the floor space is because people eat sitting on the floor in a circle

3- it's great when you want to play board games and card games and such

4- it's the main celebration room.

but yeah alot of them are just too huge and barely ever used. I personally wish I was rich enough for one of those types of rooms it would be great for my warhammer tabletop gaming.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Eau de MacGowan posted:

invite qatar to cum 2026 and serve them nothing but bacon and budwesier because ‘its just our culture’

isnt this just being in the west in general? when I lived west I had to cut out lots of things off my diet like Pepporoni and meatballs because it was all pork.

when I got back home I ate all the triple pepporoni pizzas I can.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

It’s cool that it’s the LGBT rights that’s getting all the headlines because at the end of the day it’s a harmless topic for the media to talk about since nothing will be done about it while the mountains of dead workers is gonna be shuffled aside in the culture war and arms sales will continue to qatar and the gulf at large

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Yeah FIFA is too big to be accountable to anyone

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Can all the Ukraine flag Twitter shut the gently caress up how about they stop supporting Nazis before they open their loving mouths and lecture other people

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Man todays match really starting to put this World Cup in ‘ top ten’ territory

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Walking into a Muslim country dressed as a crusader is literally the exact thing as walking into a Jewish event dressed as a Nazi the crusades are a major major part of history textbooks and drilled into everyone at a young age here lol those loving idiots deserve to get arrested.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Crusaders getting owned is woke now? Lol

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

lol the croatians mooning the cameras en masse rule

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Just found out a friend of mine was there in qatar live for the epic match with argentina, so loving jealous of him gonna ask a million questions when I see him.

I'll ask him what his experiences are regarding the lines and stuff you're all complaining about and check back with you

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Nov 23, 2022

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

It’s sportswashing and it’s working tremendously in the arab Muslim world because they are the first country in both those groups to host the World Cup. also the only people throwing a fit (righteously let me be clear) over the lgbt rights are the west while everyone else don’t care all that much.

Qatar is profiting mightily politically and financially from this event. Big prestige boost.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

njsykora posted:

And then held a bunch of wrestlers hostage by not letting their plane take off.

That story was insane I’m shocked Vince kept putting on shows after that WWE still do events here with nobodies

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

i say swears online posted:

is this true? flying people in to fill seats and then banning concessions seems incredibly expensive

The seats are being filled by Arabs who have a level of access to the World Cup that they’ve never had before because they don’t need to apply six months in advance for their tourist visas to Europe.

Also there’s more than one type of drink than alchohol lol.

Let’s not forget Tv ads and ratings and political capital because qatar holds exclusive rights to broadcast the World Cup to the Arab world in general and its using this event to mend ties with scumbag animal dictators like Sisi.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

are they in the red or in the black? that's all i'm asking

Qatar will permanently be in the black because they literally have gods bounty of Liquid Gas, these gulf countries are INSANELY full of liquid cash that’s why they do this insane stuff without being overthrown the next day because they physically can’t go bankrupt and can’t be held accountable

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

i say swear online posted:

so they're in the red

I dunno dude isn’t hosting world cups and Olympics gonna put you in the red no matter which country you are? When was the last time a country experienced a financial windfall from hosting this type of major event?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

joepinetree posted:

I feel like a cspam poster, I feel like a SAL poster, I feel like a TRP poster. Of course, I am not a cspam poster, I am not a SAL poster, I am not a TRP poster. But I feel like it, because I know what it means to be discriminated, to be bullied, as a poster in a foreign subforum. What do you do then? You try to engage, make friends. Don’t start accusing, fighting, insulting, you start engaging

Ancient Italian wisdom!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Rahu posted:

Qatar will now allow rainbows at all games going forward.

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/fifa-promises-rainbow-colours-allowed-135607897.html

Good thing we can be sure this won't be changed again arbitrarily and with no prior notice.

congrats guys now you can go back to ignoring the piles of dead laborers and corrupt government contracts worth trillions and deals going on now that your easy outrage consumption needs are fulfilled.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

:actually: i don't think qatar was involved in the crusades. it was mostly euros vs turks and some egyptian fatimids

Ummmm actually islam and arabs are a thing and the egyptians fatimids and syrians, Iraqis, Hijazis and palestinians considered themselves arabs who the qataris are an extension of.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Sadly Nobody who matters cares, already lots of western artists and entertainers are lining up for that Saudi money even after everything they’ve done, so qatar is no different, I don’t get why they even bother pretending to care we all know nothing will be done about this.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

They literally had a disabled person next to Morgan freeman at the opening ceremony there’s no way that’s just the story, that would be hosed up but maybe there’s more to it?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Coohoolin posted:

Jesus Christ stop being such a cringe rear end gulf apologist fud

I’m not being an apologist I’m just pointing out that there’s gotta be more to it because on my side I’ve seen a lot of disabled people enjoying themselves just fine also it was super poo poo of them to close down that broadcast I’m just wondering if that’s all there is to the story, I don’t put it past them to be that cartoonishly dumb.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Nov 26, 2022

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

hadji murad posted:

There’s got to be more to each of these stories that just keep happening.

No I’m 100% certain about the anti-lgbt oppression I’m just bewildered that they would attack a handicapped person out of the blue, it’s weird.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

That's loving crazy why? Also is this even true? I've been watching all of the world cup no problems at all, where's this coming from? I think this might be fundamentally untrue I've been watching the games no problem and so is everyone else.

even MBS was there on the opening day wearing a qatar team scarf, and you would think given how things are going for the national team they'd be all over this world cup!

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Nov 26, 2022

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

BrigadierSensible posted:

The Qatari's own international broadcast rights yeah? That would easily explain it.

Or a more ignorant, more islamophobic, (yet still plausible), reason would be, that Qatar has allowed women in the stands watching football. Something I am pretty sure they aren't allowed to do in Saudi Arabia. So perhaps MBS doesn't want his womenfolk getting ideas that they can have the same football watching rights as men.

Or maybe it's just a petty dick swinging contest between two petty authoritarian censorship-happy nations for reasons only they know or care about.

Nah saudi is currently shifting away from theocratic fascism to normal fascism women now have the right to do all sorts of stuff except freedom of speech or criticize the government, the women on stands is not the issue at all.

I think this is fake news, I'm watching the saudi vs poland match today at a friends house no problems.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

As someone who has tasted that sort of hotel catering service shawarma bread I can 100% confirm it is neither as nice and soft as lavash or normal Arabic bread it’s really disgusting dry skin flake rear end bread and the filling is as dry and terrible as you would think it would. Awful.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

What’s so bad about penalties aren’t those popular?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

why would they assasinate the guy?