Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

ItohRespectArmy posted:

has anyone said the shatar world cup yet

i think you're the first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
depends on who's hubris you are talking about, tbh.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
it's good hyperbole though.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

i say swears online posted:

i don't give a poo poo about their oil revenue, i was responding to a post saying the world cup was a financial success when anyone with eyeballs knows it's not

vyelkin posted:

It seems like in a lot of cases in Qatar, the bribes aren't just to win votes but to open up ongoing commercial and political relationships. Platini voting for Qatar in 2010 helped cement a lot of enduring ties between France and Qatar, including Qatar buying the football club Paris St. Germain and sinking billions of euros into it, and Qatar purchasing weapons from French arms manufacturers. In a case like that, it seems Qatar didn't even directly bribe Platini with an envelope of cash or anything, they just communicated to Sarkozy that it would be in the best interests of the budding France-Qatar relationship for Platini's French vote to secure the World Cup for Qatar, with the implication being that all those future deals and contracts were at risk if Platini didn't follow through. Same thing for the Thai vote, shortly after the World Cup bidding in which the Thai delegate voted for Qatar, Thailand and Qatar signed a natural gas trade deal.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
yeah, pretending that balanced budgets a real thing is lmao.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

i say swears online posted:

i was responding to a post saying it was a financial success aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

i asked if it was true and then everyone jumped out of the woodwork to talk about anything else but accounting

because financial success is not just number. It's the Franco-Qatar arms deals and overall relationship. It's the Thai gas export deal. It's the graft.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
it's economics.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

joepinetree posted:

I feel like a cspam poster, I feel like a SAL poster, I feel like a TRP poster. Of course, I am not a cspam poster, I am not a SAL poster, I am not a TRP poster. But I feel like it, because I know what it means to be discriminated, to be bullied, as a poster in a foreign subforum. What do you do then? You try to engage, make friends. Don’t start accusing, fighting, insulting, you start engaging

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Sounds like a big L for Nike.