Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Please forgive my ignorance, but what exactly are the Qatari government/royalty trying to do here.

Because with other "sportswashing" type poo poo, they are exercises in PR. You put on the happy face. You lie about how "progressive" and international you are. You gladhand, bribe, and soft cushion all the foreign journalists/visitors so that you put forward to image you want.

You don't manhandle and threaten international journalists on live TV, and threaten to smash the camera. Because this does not make Qatar look like the open accessible friendly country that they want it to look like.

Are the Qatari authorities that incompetent they can't even put on a smiley facade for the couple of weeks that the world gives a poo poo about Qatar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I think this stuff is here so the Qataris can have it documented that they are officially going to "play nice".

So that when the first woman raped at this WC gets accused of adultery/perversion/whatever bullshit crime they accuse her of, the authorities can say: "No no no, we aren't just accusing her because she reported her rape. We have very explicit guidelines that say we don't do that, (during the WC). S the reason we are accusing her of being an adulterer, pervert and criminal is definitely because she is a criminal pervert adulterer."
also
"We didn't beat and deport that guy for waving the pride flag. We have documented proof that says we don't do that. We beat and deported him for ... other reasons. Real actual reasons."
etc.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Forgive the stupid question, but what exactly are those "Fan accommodation"s?

Surely Qatar has enough hotel rooms to accommodate the anticipated dozens of international visitors? But are those all 5 Star rich people style hotels, and they couldn't be arsed building normal person hotels, (dont make enough money and have no utility in Doha beyond the WC), so they made a refugee camp instead?

Are these fan shipping containers at least segregated into different countries fans? Or will they room an Uruguayan Ultra with his Brazillian equivalent, in a confined space in the heat with no booze? That will go well.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Dell_Zincht posted:

He actually lives in Qatar

Really? The head of FIFA lives in Doha? Is it only for the duration of the Cup?

Is this a thing like the ICC was based in Dubai for a while? Do the rest of FIFA top brass live there? Or does he have to fly in and out to Switzerland or wherever for their meetings etc.?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Forgive me for the rant/ hot take:

But I think this Qatari World Cup is going to increase Islamaphobia in your "Western Liberal" style countries.

Look at the way that Qatar is shouting "We are Muslim", "This is a Muslim country", "This is the way things are done by Muslims in Muslim countries" "You filthy heathen white people just dont understand coz you are different.". And then all the stories are on the deaths of the indentured slavesmigrant workers, the oppression, the repression, (both political and otherwise), the bigotry, discrimination and violence against LGBTQ, and women etc.

This leads for a lot of very easy 'Islamists are backwards brutish evil fuckwits' style articles by the right wing press and similar more judiciously worded ones, (but with the same message), by the 'Liberal' press. And it will gain legitimacy because Qatar itself is saying "All of this is happening this way BECAUSE we are a Muslim country etc. This is how we do things."

Bullshit. The Qataris are doing and have done some evil horrible poo poo, both in real life and in the context of bribing and organizing this World Cup. This is because they are arsehole authoritarian rich fundie fuckwits, (amongst other things), not because they are Muslim. But because these arseholes are hand waving away all their fuckery and human rights abuses etc. on "We are a Muslim country, you in the godless West wouldn't understand", then a lot of the focus is going to be on how Qatar, a Muslim country, handle things.

It's just another awful thing about this whole loving awful situation. Oh, and to be clear, I am not saying anyone here has indulged in the sort of casual Islamaphobia I am talking about. But I can still see it becoming a thing out in the world.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

Dunno I've never been into a Muslim pizzeria

One of the best pizza places I have ever been to was one near my house when I lived in Brunswick, run by a Lebanese family, and everything they sold was Halal.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

sticksy posted:

They don't even show up after their dumb rear end nation spent 200 billion loving dollars on stadia in the desert

For me the more telling part about the Ecuador game was the way the stadium emptied very quickly once it became certain that Qatar was going to lose.

The opening match, in the first ever World Cup in the region, let alone the country. But the home fans can't be arsed to stay for the whole game.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Nostradingus posted:

2030 basically has to be in Uruguay for the centenary

You'd think. But there is precedent with a similarly corrupt international sporting event.

1896 - First Modern Olympics in Athens.

But 1996 went to Atlanta, and 2000 was in Sydney. Athens had to wait 2 cycles before they could celebrate the centenary of something of both international and local importance, both historically and culturally.

You think FIFA is going to care more about the history of the game?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Re: German WC TV ratings. I read an article that said that several pubs/bars/beer halls etc. are actively not showing any WC games, and using that as an advertizing selling point to get people to drink there.

i.e. "We aren't promoting this farce of a WC, and neither should you. buy your beer here."

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Here's a thought:

Given that Infantino now lives part of the year in Qatar, how long after the WC do you think he will continue this arrangement?

Will they kick him out? Stop paying the rent on his luxury apartment, (as I assume they are doing)? Or will he just get somewhere nicer, (maybe Monaco?) to pay for his new one, and he'll gently caress off there.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Moktaro posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McQT-XH3wGA&t=20s

Dubai is currently laughing and pointing out how their Dubai World Cup(lol) horse race meetings have gone off without a hitch.

Dubai built the world's tallest building(tm), but then couldn't be arsed to connect it to the sewage lines. So every morning there is a line of trucks just to carry away the poo.

This is funny to me.

On Qatar's World Cup and it being poo poo: Has there been any overt harassment of women at this WC yet? Because their has been a lot of focus on the horrendous way Qatar treats LGBTQ folk, yet they don't treat women much better.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Al-Saqr posted:

That's loving crazy why? Also is this even true? I've been watching all of the world cup no problems at all, where's this coming from? I think this might be fundamentally untrue I've been watching the games no problem and so is everyone else.

even MBS was there on the opening day wearing a qatar team scarf, and you would think given how things are going for the national team they'd be all over this world cup!

The Qatari's own international broadcast rights yeah? That would easily explain it.

Or a more ignorant, more islamophobic, (yet still plausible), reason would be, that Qatar has allowed women in the stands watching football. Something I am pretty sure they aren't allowed to do in Saudi Arabia. So perhaps MBS doesn't want his womenfolk getting ideas that they can have the same football watching rights as men.

Or maybe it's just a petty dick swinging contest between two petty authoritarian censorship-happy nations for reasons only they know or care about.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Tortilla Maker posted:

No posts here in 24+ hours.

Have we all been silenced?
Did we just bored of Qat__ar that quickly?

Seriously, this is what I feared would happen.

All the protests, all the corruption, all the oppression, all the deaths, hell even all the pure arseholery would be forgotten/ignored. And now this is just another World Cup.

Which it should not be. It should be remembered as a testament to Qatar's, and more importantly FIFA's insane levels of corruption and lack of regard for others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

What gets me the most about this pic, is how much "fun" Elon and Jared are having.

Neither of them gives half a poo poo about football, and maybe only a little more about the status that attending a WC final in a corporate box gives them.

They are hot, cranky, bored, and not even watching the event they paid a LOT of money to be able to attend live.

What a shining advertisement for teh way Qatar handled things!