Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

Mrenda posted:

- You couldn't pay me to be an England fan
- The alternative is jail
- IT'S COMING HOME, IT'S COMING...

Handing you a trumpet and holding a gun too your head until you start playing rule Britannia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

Butterfly Valley posted:

If actual fans from richer countries like Germany and England can't afford to go why in the hell do you think a bunch of random South Asians could afford it

Also is plastic national supporting actually a thing? Buying shirts is one thing but actually buying tickets and actively supporting the team?

How soon we forget the district of culembia

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

Hugo Lloris is right. It shouldn't be on the players to shoulder the responsibility for this World Cup. It's a professional event for them that they might play in 4 or 5 of max in their career, for a lot of them they're lucky they get this 1. The last time Wales made it was 1958. If you want to get mad at people, start with the ex pros that are going there for pundit money or to put a star face on the tournament in exchange for sacks of cash, the national football associations that decided to take part anyway, the sponsors, kit manufacturers and obviously FIFA for this nakedly blatant product of utter corruption.

I don't give a poo poo that Lisandro Martinez has gone off to play for Brazil at an international tournament. I do give a poo poo that former players like Gary Neville that have waxed lyrical on various political points and the Glazer ownership is not only doing punditry in Qatar, but doing it for Bein Sports. For those not in the know, Bein Sports is owned by Qatar and Neville's business puts him shoulder to shoulder with colleagues such as sacked from Sky in misogynistic disgrace Andy Gray and Richard Keys.

I don't care Maguire's massive head is apparently worth its weight in gold to Gareth "Cowardly Lion" Southgate, I do care that David Beckham is getting wheelbarrows full of cash he doesn't need to to be an ambassador for the tournament.

The players are victims of this tournament not the ones we should be expecting to do something about it now that people in far better positions have failed/not bothered to do so. 10 years ago the national FAs should have turned around and said "gently caress you we're not going if you hold it there" and stood firm. There was little appetite for that though because noted oval office and Qatar shill Platini was head of UEFA at the time and you'd need the big UEFA countries and South Americans to really hold FIFA's feet to the fire.

Platini sold out European football for a cheap natural gas supply for France, but the USA started a proxy war in Syria and the pipeline didn't get built lol

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

BrigadierSensible posted:

Please forgive my ignorance, but what exactly are the Qatari government/royalty trying to do here.

Because with other "sportswashing" type poo poo, they are exercises in PR. You put on the happy face. You lie about how "progressive" and international you are. You gladhand, bribe, and soft cushion all the foreign journalists/visitors so that you put forward to image you want.

You don't manhandle and threaten international journalists on live TV, and threaten to smash the camera. Because this does not make Qatar look like the open accessible friendly country that they want it to look like.

Are the Qatari authorities that incompetent they can't even put on a smiley facade for the couple of weeks that the world gives a poo poo about Qatar?

I'm hoping for something on the level of when the morning news show in Australia did a live cross to the DC George Floyd protest just as the police started shooting rubber bullets and pepper spray and you got a great fpv shot of the cameraman being hit with a batton by the filth while the female presenter just started breaking down.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

Alan Smithee posted:

not being british i dont know the subtle differences in accents and Scouser sounds like a low level mob you farm for throwing knives

Hilariously if you knock over scouser chavs in the high street they also have knives in their inventory

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

Al-Saqr posted:

The seats are being filled by Arabs who have a level of access to the World Cup that they’ve never had before because they don’t need to apply six months in advance for their tourist visas to Europe.

Also there’s more than one type of drink than alchohol lol.

Let’s not forget Tv ads and ratings and political capital because qatar holds exclusive rights to broadcast the World Cup to the Arab world in general and its using this event to mend ties with scumbag animal dictators like Sisi.

So when you talk about scumbag animal dictators do you include the ones running the country hosting? Is there a country in the region that isn't run by one?

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

Backdoor Delivery posted:

Last I checked it was Arsene Wenger working at FIFA giving them ideas on how to change the game, but go off.

Arsene Wenger is possibly the only person with worse ideas about how to fix football than Americans

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

FullLeatherJacket posted:

infantino hire tony pulis to fix football you coward

Naked shower boxing to replace penalty shootouts

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

FullLeatherJacket posted:

It's also a lot more predictable in nature 90% of the time than football is, the bonus points in rugby start to create options other than "one team in each group wins three games, another wins two, one of Australia, NZ or SA wins the tournament".

This year they are bringing the Australia wins the tournament feature to the world cup

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
There's still Morocco

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

Crazy Ted posted:

I can't possibly imagine how loving stupid Australian "soccer hooligans" are.

Apparently this same group threw glass bottles at the head of the opposing keeper in a women's game last year.

They are just celebrating their heritage by keeping the Yugoslavian civil war going