Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Tbf this is what will be happening to Iran in Group B so it’s not just a gay or non-Islamic thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
There’s a good argument anyone who watches these games is a bad person

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
I’d like to complain about the Ray Parlor being top level, thanks Qatar I couldn’t find it for like 10 minutes

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
I think we can all agree having the WC in a country of 3m people of which a much smaller percentage are actually “people” under the law is pretty stupid and that a World Cup in Morocco, Egypt or hell even Iran would own bones

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Tai posted:

Will be a good thing when people stop thinking discrimination is politics. Ah well

It is politics and so is international football

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Qatar was like 5 people subsistence fishing until the 60's

Actually the men were big into pearl necklaces

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
Petition to call that one guy “Al-Sucka”

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

FullLeatherJacket posted:

yeah, I'm trying to be mindful of not just slipping into Unpleasant Kilroy Overtones, but imagine getting literally your one and only chance to see your country at a world cup and then loving off as soon as they go 2-0 down, leaving just the hired help you brought in because you didn't feel like cheering

all of this will be reclaimed by the desert and nothing of value will be lost

I wouldn’t want to watch that fraud team play in the bribery cup either lol

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Sudden Javelin posted:

maybe that guy's dad sports majestic and powerful erections to this day, you don't know

I’m that guy’s dad and this is correct

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

the sex ghost posted:

The simplest way I can put it to new people who don't understand draws is that a draw where your team outplayed the opposition for 90 minutes is perhaps even worse than if you had lost, but getting a point when you had no right to do so is the greatest feeling in the world. Draws own and are bullshit at the same time

Ding ding

They add so much to the tactical and mind games going on, especially at a tournament with such gulfs in skill, and eliminating them via PKs is insanely bad

Now going the NHL route and playing 3v3 sudden death extra time, maybe on a small mini pitch next to the main one, that’s absolutely insane and I’m listening

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

jesus WEP posted:

yeah i watched uruguay ghana

Uruguay Ghana watch some sweaty dudes go at it

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

harperdc posted:

It’s tragic for Grant’s family and friends, it’s sad for fans who enjoyed his work, and depending on the circumstances could be an actual international incident, but

Don’t do this. Not now.

The Something Awful Committee for Moderation and Legacy

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
Technically Grant Wahl was a migrant worker

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

EC10 posted:

that is so hosed, send in the drones to liberate the qatari royal family ASAP

Also we already sent in the drones fyi

https://apnews.com/article/iran-united-states-middle-east-qatar-doha-bf3b70dbd1cd743fbeb2bc7a8402e24e

A Buffer Gay Dude fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Dec 10, 2022

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
Why couldn’t it have been Billy Haisley?

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Tortilla Maker posted:

Sad to hear. I always looked up his pre- and post- match write-ups every time there was a US v. Mexico match.

Also think it was an unfortunate coincidence. Other journalists and media outlets have been a bigger thorn on the Qatari’s side than Grant. I don’t think his tweet about a rainbow shirt or piece revisiting BBC’s interview with Nasser al-Khater after the worker’s death would have gained much traction within Qatar’s security/political circles.

Far more likely that Qatar would have bought silence and happy reporting from a journalist than them murdering said journalist inside a stadium during an active match.

Let’s just assume for the sake of argument that they did it

Do you think they just injected him with a fast acting poison at the match lol

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Al-Saqr posted:

why would they assasinate the guy?

To kill him

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

I am not, under any circumstances, gonna "hand it to" the Qataris

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

vyelkin posted:

I don't think you get just how much stuff Qatar built. It isn't just stadiums and metro lines, the city that hosted the final didn't exist 12 years ago and now all the buildings and roads are there even if most of them are empty. A lot of this stuff was planned anyway but was drastically accelerated so that it would finish before the World Cup and be part of Qatar's hosting infrastructure, hence why it gets included in the World Cup balance sheet even though technically a hotel or a road network may not be directly linked to World Cup matches.

Cool I hope they turn the Hotels into free homes for migrant workers and they get citizenship

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

BrigadierSensible posted:

What gets me the most about this pic, is how much "fun" Elon and Jared are having.

Neither of them gives half a poo poo about football, and maybe only a little more about the status that attending a WC final in a corporate box gives them.

They are hot, cranky, bored, and not even watching the event they paid a LOT of money to be able to attend live.

What a shining advertisement for teh way Qatar handled things!

Uh I think this is one where we can’t fault Qatar particularly lol