Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
The Qatar GP had something around 8000 people at the track for one of the final races of what is the most exciting F1 season in a decade. It was like a loving funeral. I know the pandemic had a lot to do with that but I can’t imagine things are going to be much better in a year. Hard to predict what travel restrictions, if any more than usual, will be in place.

Looking forward to a lot of matches looking like a mid table match at the end of a season in Serie B.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

the sex ghost posted:

How is the QMNT getting on anyway. I remember a lot of talk that they were planning to get as many uncapped players from other countries to move there to become naturalised qatari citizens but presumably that didn't happen. Are we going to see levels of host nation result rigging not seen since South Korea in 2002

I watched them play as a guest in the last North American tournament and they weren’t terrible. They got to the semi finals and only lost to the US on a very late goal in regulation.

Honestly I think they’ll put in a decent group stage and maybe even get out of it but that’ll be the end of it. If they progress beyond the first knockout I’d get suspicious but they aren’t absolutely embarrassing by any means.

The team is mostly actual Qataris and not 8 Brazilians and a rich kid.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

CyberPingu posted:

God I hope we see Italy getting jobbed out to the Qataris in the ro16

Sorry GD

Lol we won’t even be there

I am glad everyone has finally accepted that we got robbed.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Backdoor Delivery posted:

The QMNT played ok in the Gold Cup against the likes of Grenada and the USA, but have been complete rear end since then. Even if they draw an easy World Cup group (can you imagine?) they'll still get stomped by any half decent teams from Europe, South America, or Africa, inshallah.
They're still naturalizing players but from the Arab world rather than Brazil so it's not as obvious lmao

African players too right? They have that academy system that exists to bring talent from economically hosed nations to Qatar where they play for a while and get naturalized if they’re good enough.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspire_Academy

“At least” it’s mostly younger players that can legitimately say they grew up in Qatar rather than some dude who needed a big paycheck at 30 years old.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

They’ll absolutely win because of Ron. We’ll probably go out to North Macedonia anyway.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Teach posted:

Last time I posted in TRP I got shot down, if I recall, for the crime of (checks notes) living in Qatar. I've recently returned to the UK after 21 years living in Doha - AMA.

Except about corruption. I don't know anything about that.

You think it’s gonna be a disaster or…?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

Saying it like the Sash track

Lmao

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Arivia posted:

i don't know where to ask but this thread is at least about the host instead of other stuff. what's up with the extra long tail on the t in qatar in the official logos? does it make a slightly different sound to the qatari people or something?

I think it's supposed to just invoke the idea of written Arabic.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

It’s not quite on the level of the North Korean supporters in whatever World Cup that was but it’s close.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Vegetable posted:

If they’re gonna pay for fans to be there they should get their money’s worth by requiring them to rehearse chants, songs and dances. 90 minutes of choreographed fan programming every game, no less.

MLS execs rubbing their thighs and licking their lips

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Alan Smithee posted:

idk pretty progressive by Berlusconi standards

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

I know cooling breaks are a thing now in the big leagues so hopefully they didn’t think to bribe the refs (lol) to not call them.

Not that it’ll be enough even if they do happen, mind

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Arivia posted:

it's an animated jizz rag

Cum cape

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

All around the world!!!!!

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

TheRat posted:

I think Iran is pretty much the only gulf state friend Qatar has, no?

The total opposite, isn’t it?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

Who are you talking to

You guys

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Failed Imagineer posted:

If you beat a dead horse til it's tender you've got some good scran meat right there

:britain:

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

This is wild, what a horrible piece of news. I do wonder if this is going to be the catalyst that starts to reveal more and more poo poo on this whole event. Nothing gets the press going like the death of a white American in a foreign country after all, even if it somehow turns out that it was of natural causes.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Pershing posted:

They made their account protected...what was it?

Related to this I imagine https://au.sports.yahoo.com/fifa-world-cup-2022-shocking-death-second-journalist-48-hours-233226001.html

quote:

The FIFA World Cup has been rocked by the death of a second journalist in just 48 hours. The Gulf Times reported on Sunday that Qatari photojournalist Khalid al-Misslam had died “suddenly”.

“Al-Misslam, a Qatari, died suddenly while covering the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022. We believe in Allah’s mercy and forgiveness for him, and send our deepest condolences to his family," the Qatari outlet reported.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

vyelkin posted:

The football was good in spite of the tournament being bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

jesus WEP posted:

back to the 10 of us saying pooshited and nice meltdown for the next 4 years, can’t wait

nice meltdown