Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

it’s really not a very intuitive rule!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Huxley posted:

I was about to come say the same thing. She's so blunt about things.

Also, I am convinced Hikaru's whole, "doing it for the content I literally don't care" schtick is him trying to play a trick on himself to get over nerves. I'll be interesting to see if he can maintain that tone if he does another video tonight. He definitely looks like a dude who cares right this second.

of course he cares. you dont make the candidates without caring about results along the way

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I'm retired from chess you guys

*plays 12 hours of bullet on stream*

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
I was looking for a gif of Hikaru's face from yesterday but found this instead. Now you have to see it too.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

fart simpson posted:

of course he cares. you dont make the candidates without caring about results along the way

The whole point of the "Literally don't care" thing is that when his primary source of income was chess, pressure to perform was much much higher.

Big difference between "If I flub this event, things are still great" versus "If I flub this event, my income is going to be low this year and maybe I'll not get invited to prestigious events, and..."

It was never about not wanting to win. It's about how little money there is in chess, and how much easier it is to control your nerves when it's just a board game and not your income source.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

Sub Rosa posted:

The whole point of the "Literally don't care" thing is that when his primary source of income was chess, pressure to perform was much much higher.

i must have missed that when he was dropping this line after a run-of-the-mill online blitz match

khazar sansculotte
May 14, 2004

I think Sub Rosa is talking about this interview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jy4rllkmoYM

It comes across in a dickish way when he says it because he's Hikaru, but his point seems to be that he's successful (chess and income-wise) enough in other ways that the stakes of the WC don't feel as high to him.

That said, I agree with Huxley that he's also at least partially trying to play a psychological trick on himself. Dude obviously cares about winning, because again, he's Hikaru.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Can't stand that guy. Mind-boggling that he has fans.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
Nice game from Ian today. Link goes to the end position because I am not smart enough to figure out how to link the opening.

https://www.chess.com/events/2024-fide-candidates-chess-tournament/04/Nepomniachtchi_Ian-Vidit_Santosh_Gujrathi

khazar sansculotte
May 14, 2004

I thought today was a rest day so I missed it, but what on earth was Vidit's idea with 26...Rb3? Did any commentators have any speculation? It looks hideous to my patzer eyes but the engine seems to think so as well.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

khazar sansculotte posted:

I thought today was a rest day so I missed it, but what on earth was Vidit's idea with 26...Rb3? Did any commentators have any speculation? It looks hideous to my patzer eyes but the engine seems to think so as well.

Computer says c4 is the only move and I guess that is hard to find. Plus he's down to 22 minutes at move 26. Apparently any move but c4 was ~ +0.6 I would have played Rd8 but it's not any better lmao

khazar sansculotte
May 14, 2004

I would never have found 26...c4 either, but I guess we could just push the same question back a couple of moves. Why 24...Ra5 instead of 24...Rad8 (which, in addition to being preferred by the engine, is way more natural IMO and almost certainly what I would have played)? Clearly he was seeing something in shoving his rook into that crevice, but I can't for the life of me figure out what it was.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!
Magnus: "This year is Hikaru's best chance to win candidates"
Hikaru: 1.5/4

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
pragg is in his loving prep BAG today. asking some *tough* questions, at 1:52 left on clock while nepo is under an hour. engines saying he has only a tiny advantage but it feels like Ian is going to need to continue to find only moves for a long time to draw

bort
Mar 13, 2003

That broke my heart a little, but Ian is really impressive. Him and Fabi tomorrow will be a cool battle.

Pragg and Gukesh, though. So crazy good.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

That has to be psychologically intimidating af, your opponent just busting out moves in seconds while you're almost an hour down on the clock and spending minutes calculating before your every move. Huge props to Ian to not just whither away under that pressure.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Apr 10, 2024

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

the mystery of ian being unbreakable in candidates and then going to pieces in the championship

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Oh my god Gukesh v Alireza

multistability
Feb 15, 2014
That alireza checkmate during the time scramble was bruuutal. Poor Gukesh

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Fuckin wild. Alireza makes time control with the mate, Gukesh had to hold for just one more move that was absolutely insane. I’ve never actually seen mate on the board at this level but you know the only reason is because Gukesh literally had two seconds on his clock.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

butros posted:

Oh my god Gukesh v Alireza

khazar sansculotte
May 14, 2004

This is what everyone was briefly worried was going to happen to Vidit yesterday lol.

L.H.O.O.Q.
Jan 3, 2013

:coal:
Incredibly brutal finish omg. Hope this brings alireza back from the brink of tilting the whole tournament.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Because I had a slow work day and we're at the turn, here's opening stuff, men's and women's together.

Record is 12-36-8. 1. e4 is 7-25-4, 1. d4 is 5-10-4.

The Spanish is 2-7-3 while the London/Jobava/Colle is undrawn and unbeaten. I did all this by hand and counted it just now in my head so there's a non-zero chance I boofed something.

ALSO a USEFUL thing I learned today playing Daily on Chessdotcom. On your phone you can enter a conditional move order but it doesn't activate until you save it. On desktop, if you are poking moves in, they're 100% live from the minute you make them. So if you are fiddling around with something and your opponent moves, it'll just fire off whatever you happen to have in the queue. There's no safety button like on mobile.

I had this position:

White to move with Bf1 essentially forced. So I have conditional pulled up fiddling around, and put in a5 after Bf1 to get the Bishop to a6. I look at it again and go, "oh no that's dumb it just hangs the game to Rxa5, duh."

So I went back to delete the line, which I hadn't saved yet, except saving lines apparently isn't a thing on desktop. Opp played Bf1 just as I went to kill it and it played a5. I put in a ticket requesting a Confirm button on the Conditional page, hopefully we get one eventually. But in the meantime, if you're a Daily player be careful trying out lines in the Conditional page.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

you can play conditional lines on daily games??? this would save me so much time playing against non-euro peeps

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

jesus WEP posted:

you can play conditional lines on daily games??? this would save me so much time playing against non-euro peeps

yeah, but like the op said its easy to mess up; the daily équivalent of a mouse slip. I use it when the opponent isn't resigning despite obvious ladder mate or similar, but its bit me too many times when using it in less obvious positions. Also in totally my fault ways where I didn't visualize properly how the position changed but probably would have seen it if I'd played out each move.

khazar sansculotte
May 14, 2004

Conditional moves can also be good for swindling. When you see conditional moves being played it makes you feel like you should also be playing fast.

Example: I swindled a draw from the lost position below by playing 1...Kh7 and inputting 2.Qh5+ Kg8 3.Qe8+ Kh7 4.Qh5+ Kg8 5.Qe8+ as a conditional line. I'm positive my opponent would have found f4 eventually if they'd taken time to think.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
from 5m blitz... stockfish found a winning tactic in this position. can you? white to move!

it's not Re1, which is what i played

code:
r1b1kb1r/ppqn1p1p/2n1p1p1/1B1pP3/3B4/2N2N2/PPP2PPP/R2Q1RK1 w kq - 0 10

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

Helianthus Annuus posted:

from 5m blitz... stockfish found a winning tactic in this position. can you? white to move!

it's not Re1, which is what i played

code:
r1b1kb1r/ppqn1p1p/2n1p1p1/1B1pP3/3B4/2N2N2/PPP2PPP/R2Q1RK1 w kq - 0 10

Is it something like:
Nxd5 exd, e6 attacking the bishop and rook?... black plays Rg7, exd7 Bxd7 and then...king is exposed but can get covered up. So that doesn't feel super great I guess. Re1+ Be7 and it seems even?

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

CubicalSucrose posted:

Is it something like:
Nxd5 exd, e6 attacking the bishop and rook?... black plays Rg7, exd7 Bxd7 and then...king is exposed but can get covered up. So that doesn't feel super great I guess. Re1+ Be7 and it seems even?

that first move is right, but black has other responses, and in the line you went down, white has other continuations.

your line isnt the computer one, so white could be even more winning. but even here, blacks king is on an open file, and he will never be able to castle after white plays Bf6. then Re1 is coming, and black is in big trouble.

EDIT: black can castle, but has to sacrifice a bishop to do so.

Helianthus Annuus fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Apr 13, 2024

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Spokes posted:

the road to World Champion Gukesh starts today, get your tickets for the D Train while they're cheap

CHOOOO CHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

multistability
Feb 15, 2014
Judit Polgar owns, she should do commentary on every chess tournament

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

multistability posted:

Judit Polgar owns, she should do commentary on every chess tournament

Did you just see her in the spot where black was threatening a King/Rook fork on f2 and Hess was like, "All your moves preventing Nf2 are tough to swallow, let's just turn on the computer and see what it thinks ... oh WOW that is such an insane, inhuman thing to play!"

And Judit was like, "oh it's obviously f4 letting them have the fork [next six moves in the line that ends up with white just fine]." And both the other commentators were jaws on the floor at her. Like, she showed the extent to which she's "discussing different options" just for the sake of putting on a good show.

multistability
Feb 15, 2014

Huxley posted:

Did you just see her in the spot where black was threatening a King/Rook fork on f2 and Hess was like, "All your moves preventing Nf2 are tough to swallow, let's just turn on the computer and see what it thinks ... oh WOW that is such an insane, inhuman thing to play!"

And Judit was like, "oh it's obviously f4 letting them have the fork [next six moves in the line that ends up with white just fine]." And both the other commentators were jaws on the floor at her. Like, she showed the extent to which she's "discussing different options" just for the sake of putting on a good show.

That's what inspired me to make that post lmao. What a legend

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

If you get a link to that moment I'd love to see it

multistability
Feb 15, 2014

silvergoose posted:

If you get a link to that moment I'd love to see it

https://m.twitch.tv/clip/PiliablePiliableWombatTheThing-WHmA30KNJJIAVUnH

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

owns, thanks

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
I can hear myself saying "holy poo poo I just won the exchange against Judit Polgar".

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I have a feeling we're watching Alireza's supervillain arc kicking off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

More like his dad, yeah? What a nuts interview.