Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
wanted fabi to find 14. e5 so bad lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
I've gone from being a Fabi/Hikaru hopeful to being a fan of "not-Nepo".

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

six players within a point of the leader after ten games, sheesh. Nepo looking very strong but he's already played both abasov and firouzja a second time and only managed draws, Gukesh still has both of those opponents in the back half. i would be *shocked* if it doesn't come down to the final day.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm trying to remember Nepo toppling the pieces, hand shaking, when he realized Ding was going to win, and how at the time I wanted him to come back this time and get his.

If he does make it back, Ding is going to spend the next year playing like an IM, show up to the championship, play 7 Londons and cook him somehow.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
I'm a long-time but off-again-on-again lover of chess, but having a bit of a resurgence lately. This is the first time I've followed a tournment live, and it's really gripping. If I had the time to literally watch all 6 or whatever hours of each round I think I would. Still giving it a good go each evening!

Rooting for Fabi or Hikaru simply because leaving aside this tournament I think their ratings and world rankings over time merit the chance to compete for the title (or second chance in Fabi's case). Perhaps it would also help mend the perceived legitimacy loss of the world title after Magnus vacating it to have the second or third ranked player hold it instead, or at least compete for it with the number five in Ding. But the Candidates is so tough to win, I guess whoever comes out on top in the end will be deserving. It's so close though - some kind of tie-breaker situation seems likely.

I'm watching the chess.com/chess24 coverage and it's pretty good and swarming with affable GMs. Is that the favoured coverage in this thread or do goons recommend anything else?

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Lichess has pretty good commentary (Irene Sukandar and others, incl Eric Rosen sometimes). It includes women’s matches and isn’t quite as dynamic, without the video feed. Polgar and Leko add a lot of gravity while being fun on the main chess24 stream. Nice to have some alternate takes in the late games.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I wish there was another site to watch from. Even if lichess could get audio only to the page with the boards. I can't stand the advertising twitch enforces, they became such a miserable platform since amazon bought it.

Somec
Jul 15, 2006

You can use youtube for chesscom/chess24, fide, and lichess

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Yeah, I like chess.com's coverage and they have a good mix of personalities commentating, with some serious expertise. Was just checking there wasn't anything universally considered to be much better. I've watched on Youtube and the chess.com app and haven't noticed much, if any advertising. Maybe sometimes during the breaks in coverage? But generally even then they show chess-related videos, like the other day there was a clip of Anand and all the Indian players in the Candidates having a nice chat.

Eric Rosen's cool - I've been watching some of his videos recently. He has a good vibe and communicates well to chess mortals like me.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Somec posted:

You can use youtube for chesscom/chess24, fide, and lichess

Oh that's actually perfect for me I had no idea. Can we please start the candidates over?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

only if vidit gets to sweep hikaru again

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

jesus WEP posted:

only if vidit gets to sweep hikaru again

legitimately the second funniest thing that has happened at this candidates, yeah (funniest being the saga of Alireza and his Very Loud Shoes).

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

I'm a long-time but off-again-on-again lover of chess, but having a bit of a resurgence lately. This is the first time I've followed a tournment live, and it's really gripping. If I had the time to literally watch all 6 or whatever hours of each round I think I would. Still giving it a good go each evening!

Same but substitute the Ding/Nepo WC match instead for my starting watching live tournaments. The commentary is great and adds a lot for folks like me who haven't played in a long, long time but still love the game.

I watch all the big tourneys now. Wait until the day's play is over, be sure to cover the youtube comments without looking at them so I don't get spoiled on results and then speed through or linger on the games as I want to - it's perfect.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
haha Abasov resigned on move 24 (please don't look at my games)

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Been watching the candidates and it's amazing how, despite the games taking like 5 hours each, every other game seems decided by one of the players being in time trouble.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

yeah, idk. i hate it

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

gently caress chess clocks I want to see a correspondence world chess championship

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Just reverse the clocks so they count up and then if you draw the player with less time wins.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Salt Fish posted:

Just reverse the clocks so they count up and then if you draw the player with less time wins.

See you're about to get checkmated, let the time run up to the heat death of the universe.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

Man, then if you're ahead on time, even slightly, perpetuals become mates. That'd be wild.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

god drat ian is like the terminator in this tournament

in the actual championship he’s like terminator 2 because he melts down at the end

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

regulargonzalez posted:

gently caress chess clocks I want to see a correspondence world chess championship

That is a thing and it just becomes an exercise in who can manipulate chess engines most effectively. I think someone ITT is an IM in correspondence chess - Sub Rosa maybe?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

jesus WEP posted:

god drat ian is like the terminator in this tournament

in the actual championship he’s like terminator 2 because he melts down at the end

I know now why you become world chess champion, but it is something I can never do.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Salt Fish posted:

I wish there was another site to watch from. Even if lichess could get audio only to the page with the boards. I can't stand the advertising twitch enforces, they became such a miserable platform since amazon bought it.
When Twitch is a necessary evil, I find I have more luck with my phone's ad blocking. I use my phone to cast Twitch to my TV, rather than an app on a device connected to my TV. Sometimes I'll get 1-2 ads right off the bat, but after that they stop.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
There's not many resources in the opening post for like, actual 'learning the ideas and rules of chess', so figured i'd ask.

Hey, i've been meaning to get into chess. I live with a very nice but very depressed old fella who's being going through one for the last several years- we had to move out of his 20 year old home because of the landlord, his partner passed a few years ago, it's been a lot. Recently he's been trying t oget back into his old chess habit, and he was quite good at it when he was younger, albiet in a 'talented head of the chess club' way.

Now, I know the rules of chess but i don't understand the strategy at all. I don't know what to do why, or any openings. I want to learn, though, because he's interested in it and frankly, i need to do more to get him out of his bedroom and into rooms with more windows and talking to people, because when i make the effort he's visibly happier.

But I also want to actually understand the game so I can play and not just get my rear end beat, and because I like learning and picking up games.

So with this I ask: what basic rear end beginner resources do people recommend for getting into chess?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
"Building Habits" youtube series

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
There are several master level players who have "speedrun" playlists on youtube. It's not actually a speedrun; they make a brand new account on chess.com, start out around 800 MMR, and then win 200 games in a row ending around 2300 MMR. These are generally half educational and half entertainment. Its super fun to watch a grandmaster just obliterate people, but they share their though process on each move and explain the games in a way that's really helpful.

Anyway I would recommend starting with a few speedrun series and just see what person you enjoy watching the most. Personally I would recommend Naroditsky first and foremost, but there are several good ones:

My top recommendation for a brand new player:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WPNVHZmYE8

Also good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nG-n3rNA2VM

Also good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2huVf1l4UE

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Nea posted:

So with this I ask: what basic rear end beginner resources do people recommend for getting into chess?

For books:

I started with "Play Chess Like a Boss" and I liked it a lot better than a few other "First Chess Books" I flipped through.

https://www.amazon.com/Learn-Play-C...aps%2C94&sr=8-1

and a book of puzzles to get your juices flowing again.

https://www.amazon.com/Everyones-Fi...aps%2C88&sr=8-1

For video:

The Building Habits series is really truly unimpeachable. He very specifically plays by a certain set of rules at each tier that he believes a person at that level can follow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8pZbhjL-fQ

For games, Chess.com obviously, but Lichess does everything Chess.com does for free. Some people can nitpick puzzle quality at the 2000+ level, but that's a problem for another day.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Would we be interested in me doing a new chess OP?

Huxley fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Apr 19, 2024

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Huxley posted:

Would we be interested in me doing a new chess OP?

You have to beat hand knit to get that right.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Arrhythmia posted:

You have to beat hand knit to get that right.

Yeah that's right.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

is hikaru going to win the superbowl?

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

fart simpson posted:

he probably need to beat nepo on Saturday to do so, so no

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Nea posted:

There's not many resources in the opening post for like, actual 'learning the ideas and rules of chess', so figured i'd ask.

Hey, i've been meaning to get into chess. I live with a very nice but very depressed old fella who's being going through one for the last several years- we had to move out of his 20 year old home because of the landlord, his partner passed a few years ago, it's been a lot. Recently he's been trying t oget back into his old chess habit, and he was quite good at it when he was younger, albiet in a 'talented head of the chess club' way.

Now, I know the rules of chess but i don't understand the strategy at all. I don't know what to do why, or any openings. I want to learn, though, because he's interested in it and frankly, i need to do more to get him out of his bedroom and into rooms with more windows and talking to people, because when i make the effort he's visibly happier.

But I also want to actually understand the game so I can play and not just get my rear end beat, and because I like learning and picking up games.

Chessly has some good courses for beginners. It's more hands on than reading from a book. I'm doing the E4 course and it has completely formed the way I play.

Prices are fairly steep but the site has frequent 50% discounts.

You could probably staple together something approaching the amount of content for free with some time and effort, but I like having things served to me on a platter.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Three people tied for first and Caruana just a point behind - going to be an incredibly exciting last couple of rounds.

fart simpson posted:

mfcrocker posted:

he probably need to beat nepo on Saturday to do so, so no

Hikaru and Ian are both level, so not sure he does need to beat him, especially given the latter plays as black against Caruana in the last round; Hikaru also has a difficult match against Gukesh, but will be playing as white.

Could go various ways at the moment!

khazar sansculotte
May 14, 2004

Nea posted:

If you'd like to gamify your game-learning, Chessable has some good free stuff. There's an ocean of miniature "free lesson" things that are just ads for paid courses that honestly you should probably just ignore completely for now, but here are some genuinely useful free courses:
e: also, note you can only have five free courses active at a time unless you buy a pro account or 'buy' more free course slots with Chessable currency that you can earn by doing exercises daily. I would also consider turning off Chessable's default "spaced repetition" setting for these courses and change it to like a daily/weekly review. Spaced repetition is a memorization technique that's most appropriate for memorizing 200+ variation opening repertoires, which you don't need to waste your time with unless and until >90% of the material covered in the courses above has become second nature and you want to start playing in tournaments.

khazar sansculotte fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Apr 19, 2024

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Three people tied for first and Caruana just a point behind - going to be an incredibly exciting last couple of rounds.

Hikaru and Ian are both level, so not sure he does need to beat him, especially given the latter plays as black against Caruana in the last round; Hikaru also has a difficult match against Gukesh, but will be playing as white.

Could go various ways at the moment!

My hope is that tomorrow, Hikaru and Nepo draw, Fabiano beats Pragg, Alireza scores a draw against Gukesh so we can enter the last round on a four-way tie with the games Hikaru - Gukesh and Fabiano - Nepo with all participants at 8 points for maximum chaos.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Exercu posted:

My hope is that tomorrow, Hikaru and Nepo draw, Fabiano beats Pragg, Alireza scores a draw against Gukesh so we can enter the last round on a four-way tie with the games Hikaru - Gukesh and Fabiano - Nepo with all participants at 8 points for maximum chaos.

I’m hoping we get this and then all draws on Sunday so we have a four way rapid round robin first tiebreaker.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
I meant to say Caruana is half a point behind, not a point.

Yes a tie break would be cool!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jasoneatspizza
Jul 6, 2010

Nea posted:

As a fellow chess beginner, I've found the YouTube channels ChessNetwork (the beginner playlist) and Chess Vibes to be the most useful.