Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

fabi win and 2 draws for a nutso 4-way tie going into last day :pray:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Draw between Nepo and Hikaru.

The facial expressions were on point and at the end they were looking more at the other games than their own.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

I think Bob Hess is sharing Ian's vodka. He gets gradually less well-edged as each broadcast goes on.

khazar sansculotte
May 14, 2004

Man Fabi v Nepo tomorrow is going to be a blast.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

khazar sansculotte posted:

Man Fabi v Nepo tomorrow is going to be a blast.

Fabi v Nepo is going to be a crazy game, both have to win.

HIkaru going to have to go Tal mode against Gukesh too.

It's set up so well.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

tanglewood1420 posted:

Fabi v Nepo is going to be a crazy game, both have to win.

HIkaru going to have to go Tal mode against Gukesh too.

It's set up so well.

if fabi and nepo and hikaru all win....

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

fart simpson posted:

if fabi and nepo and hikaru all win....

They each get to take every third move against Ding

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Maugrim posted:

That is a thing and it just becomes an exercise in who can manipulate chess engines most effectively. I think someone ITT is an IM in correspondence chess - Sub Rosa maybe?

I have both required IM norms, but not enough games in norm-winning tournaments. About ready to hang it up to be honest.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
had this position in blitz -- white to move and win! 5r2/1pp5/p3P3/P2P4/1P4k1/3BK3/8/8 w - - 3 51

its not the losing move e7, which is what i played after 1s with 5s left on my clock :frogbon:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

khazar sansculotte
May 14, 2004

Not sure it's correct, but with 5s on the clock I would play 1.Bg6 and hope for the best.

e: actually I think it is best, but there's no way I could convert this with 5s left. The rook has no safe way to attack e7, and by the time the king removes the bishop white will promote. Black has to give up the rook for the e pawn, but creating another passed pawn is not trivial at all.

khazar sansculotte fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Apr 21, 2024

khazar sansculotte
May 14, 2004

I think Black's most resilient defense goes 1...Kg5 2.e7 Re8 3.e8=Q Rxe8+ 4.Bxe8 Kf6 5.Kd4 Ke7 6.Ba4 Kd6 and then white has to show some technique but should be winning.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Not sure it's correct, but with 5s on the clock I would play 1.Bg6 and hope for the best.

e: actually I think it is best, but there's no way I could convert this with 5s left. The rook has no safe way to attack e7, and by the time the king removes the bishop white will promote. Black has to give up the rook for the e pawn, but creating another passed pawn is not trivial at all.

thats right

I think Black's most resilient defense goes 1...Kg5 2.e7 Re8 3.e8=Q Rxe8+ 4.Bxe8 Kf6 5.Kd4 Ke7 6.Ba4 Kd6 and then white has to show some technique but should be winning.

here's stockfish's best response for black in this position. its mate in 23:

51... Rf1 52. Ke2 Kg5 53. e7 Kxg6 54. e8=Q+ Rf7 55. Qc8 Re7+ 56. Kd3 Rh7 57. Qxb7 Rh3+ 58. Kd4 Rh4+ 59. Kc5 Rh7 60. Qxa6+ Kg7 61. Qc8 Rh1 62. Qxc7+ Kg6 63. Qg3+ Kh6 64. d6 Rh5+ 65. Kd4 Rg5 66. Qxg5+ Kxg5 67. d7 Kf4 68. d8=Q Kf5 69. Qd5+ Kf6 70. a6 Ke7 71. a7 Kf6 72. a8=Q Kg7 73. Qdg8+ Kh6 74. Qh1#

Kg5 is mate in 21:

51... Kg5 52. e7 Rg8 53. e8=Q Rxe8+ 54. Bxe8 Kf6 55. Kd4 Ke7 56. Bg6 Kd6 57. Bf5 b6 58. Bc8 bxa5 59. bxa5 c6 60. Bxa6 Kc7 61. Kc5 cxd5 62. Kxd5 Kd7 63. Bd3 Kc7 64. a6 Kb6 65. Kd6 Ka5 66. Kc5 Ka4 67. a7 Kb3 68. Kd4 Kb2 69. a8=Q Kb3 70. Qb7+ Ka2 71. Kc3 Ka3 72. Qb3#

i had it search 20 lines, and the worst move it found was mate in 10:

51... Re8 52. Bxe8 Kg5 53. Bd7 Kf6 54. Kf4 b6 55. axb6 cxb6 56. d6 a5 57. e7 axb4 58. e8=Q Kg7 59. Kg5 b5 60. Be6 b3 61. Qg8#

khazar sansculotte
May 14, 2004

It's always impressive how great engines are at dragging lost positions out, but if I were white I would definitely do more skull-clutching with 51...Kg5 hitting the board.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
With 5 seconds on the clock I'm playing e7 like you did, with more time I probably end up playing Be4 with a view to playing d6 and opening up everything on the left-hand side of the board

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

It's always impressive how great engines are at dragging lost positions out, but if I were white I would definitely do more skull-clutching with 51...Kg5 hitting the board.

not me, e7 wins in that position, and earlier i was already dying to play e7 even when it didn't win!

but 0% chance that i premove correctly 20 more times in a row with only 5s on the clock.

khazar sansculotte
May 14, 2004

Yeah e7 and the next few moves are no problem, it's what happens after 55...Ke7 that gets complicated. I feel like black's the one who has to play with engine accuracy in the KQ+3PvKR+3P endgame. One wrong move and white is scooping up that rook with a fork.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

screw the top end of the candidates, if you aren’t mostly rooting for nijat to pick up a W today you’re dead inside

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
lol Magnus is commenting drunk.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Chesscoms chyron for him read “2013 Candidates Winner” and I’m still laughing about it

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

butros posted:

Chesscoms chyron for him read “2013 Candidates Winner” and I’m still laughing about it
incredible

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

goongrats to gukesh in advance

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

The return of Dr. Drunkenstein

khazar sansculotte
May 14, 2004

"To be honest, I have no idea" -- Magnus Carlsen

khazar sansculotte
May 14, 2004

God Fabi is such a beast, really hoping to see him and Gukesh in tie breakers.

L.H.O.O.Q.
Jan 3, 2013

:coal:
Nepo is incredible in defense. Shame it doesn’t look like we’ll see tiebreakers but Gukesh is for sure a deserving winner

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Throwing away a +8 advantage in time trouble is extremely relatable.

Final opening numbers (black line is the halfway-point rest day):

Interesting stuff: Sicilians got crushed by white (5/2), Spanish got crushed by black (4/7), mainline QG stuff got crushed (4/11, discounting London-Colle systems). There was a lot of buzz around the tournament about how the whole argument of classical being boring because of opening memorization has actually been skewered by computers showing that basically anything that doesn't blunder material or major structural weaknesses is actually playable.

However, openings with drawish reputations did in fact draw a lot: Russian, Scotches, French/Slav exchanges, QGA were collectively 4-13-2

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013

Huxley posted:

However, openings with drawish reputations did in fact draw a lot: Russian, Scotches, French/Slav exchanges, QGA were collectively 4-13-2
Looking at the chart I don't think the Russian belongs on this list, given it's 3-5-1.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
So if Ding does a Magnus and decides not to contest, who was 2nd if Ian, Fabi and Hikaru are all on 8.5 pts?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

V for Vegas posted:

So if Ding does a Magnus and decides not to contest, who was 2nd if Ian, Fabi and Hikaru are all on 8.5 pts?

me.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Has Ding been playing much since his title win? I haven’t seen anything, but not seeking him out either.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

V for Vegas posted:

Hikaru.

There are three tiebreaks. First is Sonneborn Berger-score (sum of score of all players you've beaten + half the sum of score of all players you've drawn). Hikaru and Nepo have a score of 56, Fabi only 54.
Then it's number of wins. Hikaru has 5 wins, Nepo only 3.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
So the youngest player wins the tournament - incredible stuff from Gukesh. A really softly-spoken kid in interviews, he has nerves of steel over the board. I was a little sad that Fabi couldn't break through Ian's defences, but the latter was unsurprisingly solid and you can't say Gukesh doesn't deserve it overall.

I thought it seemed like he'd just woken up from a nap. He seemed detached even for Magnus at first, similar to how I am in the morning, had bed hair and there was a scrunched up duvet sitting in the background of his shot, looking hilariously messy.

former glory posted:

Has Ding been playing much since his title win? I haven’t seen anything, but not seeking him out either.

They talked about this on the coverage last night and confirmed it would be Hikaru. I don't know why they (and subsequently this thread) talked about it though, unless it was pure interest in the hypothetical. Has Ding given any indication or is there any reason at all to think he won't defend the title?

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

What stood out the most during the interview was when Gukesh was (again) asked for the names of his team and he said "we're only half-way there." Incredible focus and composure when he's just won the biggest tourney of most people's lives, leave alone his. He seems to be in the present moment almost all the time, incredible.

Sad to see Fabi so gutted in the post match interview at missing his chances. Ian, very gracefully, tried to cheer him up a few times by pointing out the time pressure, hard to find, etc, but Fabi was inconsolable.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Has Ding given any indication or is there any reason at all to think he won't defend the title?

No, and he put out a statement today essentially congratulating Gukesh with a friendly sounding, "bring it on" kind of vibe, so I think it's safe to say he'll play. It's just a mix of everyone assuming he's going to get cooked because he won and then seemingly took a mental-health gap year then half came back but hasn't been dominant. The whole, "winner of the candidates is the presumptive next champion" vibe floating about honestly has me rooting for Ding to win one more.

It's really something to get table audio from the end of that game and hear both guys apologize to one another.

https://twitter.com/chesscom/status/1782255660610044350

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i think fabi would have beaten ding pretty handily in the championship given how hard he pushed magnus. gukesh i have no idea

L.H.O.O.Q.
Jan 3, 2013

:coal:

Nepo seems like a genuinely nice guy and that moment last championship when he spilled his pieces realising he’d lost the match broke my heart. I hope Ding figures himself out and we get a good match

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

I need a video of that whole game.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

AlternateNu posted:

I need a video of that whole game.

On second watch, it's possible he's just sleepy (9p local time?) or hungover, but I've definitely heard him sharper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCE-Ar9udOU&t=4192s

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Huxley posted:

It's really something to get table audio from the end of that game and hear both guys apologize to one another.

https://twitter.com/chesscom/status/1782255660610044350
Nepo's body language in the last few minutes was very uncomfortable. And not because he wasn't going to win - it had been obvious for a long while at that point that he couldn't. But because he saw what Fabi needed to do, and he watched him miss it.

It's one thing to need to come to terms with your own dream dying, but to be dealing with that and then to suddenly have to take on the responsibility of crushing your friend's dream with no real benefit to yourself. loving bummer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
go ding