Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Reposting this since it's no longer in the thread title:

https://twitter.com/NoJokeChris/status/1311691567195918339

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
I took a few weeks off from chess and came back to it recently. I think I am enjoying it more and playing healthier amounts instead of straight binging huge chunks of my days off, getting tired and tilting.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Is Jan still part of Magnus' team so he isn't commentating?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

algebra testes posted:

Is Jan still part of Magnus' team so he isn't commentating?

The teams will be secret until the end of the tournament, but the absence of Jan on chess24 might also just be from them breaking out the big guns for the finals. He's an accessible commentator, but that's maybe less important when they've split the commentary teams into a beginners cast (Howell and Houska) and a serious cast (Polgar and Giri).

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Every time that Carlsen puts the title up, I say "boy, this is the time I get really into chess and give it a go," and then I never actually end up doing it. This time... maybe.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

A new thread to lurk in

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
(skipping over 1000 humiliating games) have a look at this game from tonight.

code:
1. e4 1... Nf6 2. e5 2... Ng8 3. d4 3... Nc6 4. Nf3 4... d6 5. Nc3 5... dxe5 6. d5 6... Nb4 7. a3 7... Na6 8. Bxa6 8... bxa6 9. Nxe5 9... Bf5 10. Bf4 10... Nf6 11. g4 11... Bc8 12. g5 12... Nd7 13. Nc6 13... e5 14. Nxd8 14... exf4 15. Nc6 15... Nb8 16. Qe2+ 16... Be7 17. Qxe7# 1-0
check out move 13 for a funny queen trap!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Helianthus Annuus posted:

(skipping over 1000 humiliating games) have a look at this game from tonight.

code:
1. e4 1... Nf6 2. e5 2... Ng8 3. d4 3... Nc6 4. Nf3 4... d6 5. Nc3 5... dxe5 6. d5 6... Nb4 7. a3 7... Na6 8. Bxa6 8... bxa6 9. Nxe5 9... Bf5 10. Bf4 10... Nf6 11. g4 11... Bc8 12. g5 12... Nd7 13. Nc6 13... e5 14. Nxd8 14... exf4 15. Nc6 15... Nb8 16. Qe2+ 16... Be7 17. Qxe7# 1-0
check out move 13 for a funny queen trap!

It was very polite of black to begin setting up the board.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
The problem that I'm having watching the world championships is that I'm rated like 800 and can't even begin to parse most of the theory and rationale behind the moves.

On that note- I know that at my level I should be studying and enacting opening principles instead of rote memorization, but I'm kind of interested in running one or two of the chessable lessons on E4 to help with more focused study. Free is nice but I wouldn't be opposed to dropping a :10bux: or three if it's a good course.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Interesting first game, I wonder if Nepo is going to be put off playing e4 in his white games? He wasn't exactly up against a wall, but he had to be extremely precise to hold off Magnus' pressure and never really looked like he was playing for a win at any point.

No doubt the Russian super computer has been fired up to analyse the poo poo out of this Na5 line overnight.

rollick
Mar 20, 2009

Hand Knit posted:

The teams will be secret until the end of the tournament, but the absence of Jan on chess24 might also just be from them breaking out the big guns for the finals. He's an accessible commentator, but that's maybe less important when they've split the commentary teams into a beginners cast (Howell and Houska) and a serious cast (Polgar and Giri).

Saw some speculation going that Carlsen using the Marshall Defense against Nepo is a hint that Marshall expert Jan is in his prep team

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
I would be scared stiff playing black here. Where the hell am I going to put my b8 knight and light square bishop?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Caruana is an incredibly good analyst. In a couple of days of watching him I feel like I’ve actually understood things about super GM chess and what is really happening in these games for the first time. Don’t think I’ve ever heard him speak before this.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

tanglewood1420 posted:

I would be scared stiff playing black here. Where the hell am I going to put my b8 knight and light square bishop?

The bishop usually goes to b7, and then you activate it by preparing to play c5. The knight can go anywhere, including a6=>b4. The Catalan is an opening that white can play to reliably get a very, very slight advantage. And often you get to do it while keeping a lot of pieces on the board, meaning there's a lot of play left. However, the advantage is slight enough that it's not always a great way to try to win. It's also not a very Carlsen opening.

I played this for a while with white (and still play it in some lines) and I've never really felt comfortable in these gambit lines. I know that black's pawns are really shaky but I've never been able to reliably find enough play for white to compensate.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

I really like Giri's comments here about how this is a sensible position for a computer but not for a human. The pawn and piece set up may objectively "work" but it doesn't correspond to usual human patterns, which means there's a huge burden on Nepo to actively figure out the position move to move.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
How the gently caress do their brains move so fast? Dude is rattling off seventeen moves for black to gain a third of a pawn and I can barely see the forest for the trees enough to prevent a bishop forking my rook and queen :doh:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I mean, it's what they've done for a long time.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Having watched a lot of chess streams, it is apparent that Super GMs have overwritten major important parts of their brains with chess.

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
It's bad news for my future tournament career that I can only focus on someone else's game for 30 minutes, with expert commentary to help, before needing a break.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

D34THROW posted:

How the gently caress do their brains move so fast? Dude is rattling off seventeen moves for black to gain a third of a pawn and I can barely see the forest for the trees enough to prevent a bishop forking my rook and queen :doh:

The key is chunking, so you're stringing together a couple of ideas which are 5/6 moves each, and your intuition is good enough that you're not missing obvious blunders. (1) X is weak, (2) you normally exploit this weakness with Y, (3) this is how Y would play out here.

In other news, looks like Carlsen has played himself into some trouble. This is part of why I have trouble in these Catalan gambit positions as white: even if Carlsen finds a way to recoup the exchange he's about to lose, he's still down a pawn. Which means he has to play for activity/advantage down the exchange.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
What is the go-to stream to follow the championship?

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

dhamster posted:

The official stream is on youtube and has footage of them playing and some analysis, but there's a lot of others folks can speak on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9KHwyYH0cc

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

dhamster posted:

There are a bunch in the thread OP. I also just found this one with Svidler, Kramnik, and Miroschnichenko. Though this comes with the risk of Kramnik deciding to talk about politics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rpqQ1Q8kHY

rollick
Mar 20, 2009

Sf eval on this position was 0.0, which I'm not sure I understand - black seems at least a little better. Guess I'm not taking up the Catalan any time soon.

rollick fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Nov 27, 2021

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

rollick posted:

Sf eval on this position was 0.0, which I'm not sure I understand - black seems at least a little better. Guess I'm not taking up the Catalan any time soon.

Black's pieces are very passive so it's not completely unbelievable that an engine would offer an equal eval. Black's idea is probably to force bxc3 and clear the path for the a-pawn. But in doing so, black's queenside pawns become all isolated, which may make it easier for white to play against.

e: As the queenside starts to liquidate, something to keep in mind is that when all the pieces are on the same side of the board, quantity of pieces is almost as important as quality of pieces. Get rid of the a and c pawns, and Carlsen's R+N should hold easily. (Of course, who knows how much he's thinking of trying to win. Black's king is shaky.)

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Teddybear posted:

Every time that Carlsen puts the title up, I say "boy, this is the time I get really into chess and give it a go," and then I never actually end up doing it. This time... maybe.

I think it's perfectly acceptable to be a chess spectator. I haven't actually enjoyed playing chess for a long time but I still watch it every opportunity I can. The process of studying and working to try to improve just isn't fun for me and, as a hobby, I think that's fine. I'm sure my playing is a lot lot worse than what it used to be but it doesn't matter because that's not what I enjoy about chess.

A lot of people watch a lot of other sports/things without participating themselves and that's a-okay.

silvergoose posted:

I mean, it's what they've done for a long time.

Furthermore, it's literally their job and they are also literally the best in the world at it.

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Nov 27, 2021

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
Yeah it’s kind of like… because chess is so accessible and there are so many great, educational streamers there’s this feeling that if you just put in some time you can be Magnus (or Aman, at least). Just make the right moves! It’s the same thing with esports—you can just boot up the same game Faker plays! I know I can’t play in the NBA but i definitely have the idea that I could grind some computer game and go pro even though that’s equally out of the question

anyway all this to say that it’s perfectly okay to just enjoy the games through Levy’s analysis or whatever without feeling like you’re missing out on playing at an expert+ level—99% of these players devoted years of their youth to it, it’s just hard to remember that

yes im trying to go from < 900 to 2000 in my mid-thirties, do as I say etc

oh god oh fuck
Dec 22, 2019

Chess kinda has the reputation that if you wanna get into it you gotta get REALLY into it. Reading books and just constantly dedicating yourself to getting better. But imo as long as you have competition at your level and you like it there then that can be the extent of it. Approach it like call of duty or whatever and have a chill game once a night if that's what you're happiest with.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Chess is great once your not just hanging peices every game. It's not an unbelievable commitment to get there. It's about 900-1000 or so rating on chess.com.

oh god oh fuck
Dec 22, 2019

It's cool how complex it can be and how much time you can study it without it being solved. But also it's just a fun game! Have a little brain battle with someone.

EDIT: I guess it's worth noting a major barrier for me was thinking that everyone online are people who were way better than me and took it super seriously. But I found pretty quickly on lichess that the skill range is super wide so it's not too hard to find people to play with that are beginners that drop their pieces just like you. I think their matchmaking system is really great at keeping you around healthy but not super hard competition.

oh god oh fuck fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Nov 28, 2021

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
I only do puzzles because I know I'd just get incredibly :argh: playing actual chess

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

joe football posted:

I only do puzzles because I know I'd just get incredibly :argh: playing actual chess

This is me. Online pvp raises my anxiety too much, no matter what game.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm team Magnus, but I do lol at Ian's facial expressions. Especially when the "Celebrity first move" was 1.d4 and he grinned and retracted the piece and replayed 1.e4

edit: Yeah I'm definitely enjoying the Chess24 baby stream, as much as I'd love to say I'm at the Kramnik/Svidler level

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Nov 28, 2021

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Anand right now: "Play to get positions you like"
Best chess advice.
He got the best stream for the current tourney.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Carlsen creates another sharp position, accepting a small minus but putting pressure on Nepo to figure it out. I'm curious what his long term plan is for defending a5/counterplay on the queenside, because that is absolutely a way that black loses these positions.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

busalover posted:

This is me. Online pvp raises my anxiety too much, no matter what game.

you can play it collaboratively too, I sometimes crack a game out over zoom with a friend and we just talk through every move we are thinking of on both sides. You can then go over it with the engine and see where we collectively hosed up

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Ooh d5 e5 this is a very sharp position

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

silvergoose posted:

Ooh d5 e5 this is a very sharp position

Ironically, this is where it stops being a sharp position because it becomes very forced. Everything comes off. Now we probably have a bishop endgame where we balance Nepo's weak a4 pawn against Carlsen's isolated pawn structure.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Yup. Funny how that works sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
What blows my ~1100 mind is how they're so good tactically that there's no tactics. All of my games have Benny Hill level tactics, wild swings of the eval, etc.

These guys, it's like watching an arm wrestling match between hydraulic presses. Incredible power, little motion.

(Image from Game 1)

Only registered members can see post attachments!