Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

I assume that the one game estimated ratings are generally very inaccurate? The app has listed 1450 for me a few times and that feels way too high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

I usually try to analyze the game and find out exactly where I went from being ok to totally losing. Usually it's move 5.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

It does give brilliant moves for non-sacrifice plays, I got one the other day for what really felt like a very mundane move. I even went down in evaluation a bit.

Can you find the brilliant move here? White to move for the coveted !!

Rfd1, somehow.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Aug 24, 2023

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

mortal posted:

I think letting the bishop hang counts as a sacrifice for the purposes of awarding a brilliancy, even if you're just getting a bishop back one move later.

That could be. The line that the game eval suggested actually has black offer a queen trade on b6, that white accepts after trading the knight for the light square bishop, and ultimately takes the pawn with the hanging bishop. It's strange. I think the idea is to lure the king to d7.

Instead my opponent and I both messed up for several moves in a row and ultimately drew when I messed up the end game. I took a rook with my queen and should have put him in check instead, landing myself in perpetual check.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

PerniciousKnid posted:

With triple-digit Rating you shouldn't feel pressure. If you fall behind just keep focusing on counting correctly and half the time you'll come back when your opponent blunders a piece back.

If they don't make any mistakes they were smurfing or playing out of their mind, either way you were doomed from the start.

Definitely did this OTB in the office today, blundered a rook in spectacular fashion and managed to hang on long enough for my opponent to blunder a rook back to me.

Ended in a draw with insufficient material, my king and bishop vs. his king.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

I hit exactly 1000 on chess.com for daily today, after my opponent seemingly got mad and let the game time out while playing multiple other games.

Still counts!

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Oddly all I play is daily because I just don't have the time needed for shorter games, and almost all of mine go to completion. I've had maybe 2-3 timeouts? One was definitely a rage-quit because the guy made moves in like 4 other games repeatedly while he just let our game time out but whatever, still counts. There are absolutely conditional moves, you can add up to 10 lines with 10 moves each if you want.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

That's neat info, thanks. I remember play a game of battletech in a goon narrative campaign using some homebrew system where every player controlled a single mech and acted simultaneously instead of in turn. Each round you sent the game master a list of orders with a ton of nested if/then statements. Tons of work for the goon running it, but a fun exercise

That is still on-going, it's run by PopTartsNinja. It's in the third(?) iteration of the thread at this point.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

I forgot to sign up for that, and it's probably ok because apparently 60% of people forgot they signed up for it.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Won a game earlier today and hit the game review to find I missed mate in 1 on move 5 or something. Whoops.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

I forced a draw from a losing position over the board against a guy in the office and it was so satisfying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

I know I'm reading this wrong, but oh boy does it look like black has two light square bishops to white's two dark square bishops. Which I guess is possible via promotion but what a weird rear end situation to invent.

e: The more I look at it the more convinced I am that I'm not wrong, it is some bizarro world promotion situation.