Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
The problem that I'm having watching the world championships is that I'm rated like 800 and can't even begin to parse most of the theory and rationale behind the moves.

On that note- I know that at my level I should be studying and enacting opening principles instead of rote memorization, but I'm kind of interested in running one or two of the chessable lessons on E4 to help with more focused study. Free is nice but I wouldn't be opposed to dropping a :10bux: or three if it's a good course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
Yeah I don't mind playing out a live game, but I will forfeit a daily game very quickly.

Unfortunately the guy I'm playing in a king vs king/rook endgame does not share this philosophy and is taking his time.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
I have a dumb question- I bought The Woodpecker Method a while back on Chessable and realized I really hate doing puzzles on that website. Is it possible to create a "playlist" of puzzles on chess.com or lichess and play through them on there?

In other news, a chess club opened up a few miles from me so I decided to sign up for a lesson even though I'm low- to mid-800 trash. We went over some games and some concepts that I've been struggling with like underdefending pieces that are in danger of being attacked. It was nice to explain my thought process and get told why moves were good or bad. I'll probably keep with it every month or so in between reading some books and doing puzzles as I try to transition from being really bad to just moderately bad.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
It'll happen. I started at like 400 (I had played maybe 5 games of chess in my life over 20 years ago) and every 100ish points I gain I'll got a losing streak and then go back over my previous best. I've been using the free aimchess exercises and reading through a few books to get ideas for incorporating into games, but no amount of theory will keep you from getting hit by a nasty fork or similar blunder.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
I realize it's chesscom and doesn't really mean much, but I hit 66.6 percentile rapid so hail Satan. Dumb milestones like that make me feel better about being an adult learner as well as a bad trying to work my way to becoming not-terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
You joke now but wait till Magnus shows up with a steel chair.