Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
https://twitter.com/anishgiri/status/1464988214142410761

We don’t deserve Giri.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I feel bad for Anish Giri. I didn’t watch a lot of the later games, but it kind of felt like he had a hard time watching Nepo perform so badly. I’m sure he’s thinking about how he would have played in the challenger’s seat instead.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I’m a big fan of Ben Finegold, personally. He’s a chess educator and used to teaching kids, so his lectures are both interesting and easy to watch. I know some folks don’t enjoy his persona, though.

I’m not sure watching him has really improved my game much, but honestly I don’t think you can expect much improvement from videos, and there are a few things I’ve picked up.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I enjoyed Queen of Katwe. I would not call it a great movie; it's definitely a Disney sports movie and it doesn't really succeed at making chess cinematic. But the depiction of life in a Ugandan slum was interesting and enjoyable.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I’ve seen some people theorizing that maybe Carlsen thinks Hans stole his prep. This doesn’t really make sense to me (and as far as I know nobody beyond random Redditors is suggesting it), but it got me wondering; why would that be unethical, anyway? It seems to me that if players don’t want their prep stolen, they can always just do it themselves.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

The thing is, this isn’t really a case of “Should Niemann continue to be allowed to attend over-the-board tournaments, or was Carlsen wrong and should apologize?” The two are basically separate questions. Magnus could have easily raised the big question about cheating in chess without ruining the Sinquefield Cup, but he chose to put his own anger and embarrassment over the interest of the other competitors in having the round-robin event occur as planned.

Carlsen has the right to refuse to attend tournaments where known online cheaters are playing if he wants; as with his decision not to contest the World Champion title, the “George R. R. Martin is not your bitch” rule applies. But that doesn’t make his recent behavior appropriate.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Sub Rosa posted:

Okay, so tell us what other, legally clear, east way he could have raised the question of cheating.

And it's really clear that Magnus wasn't acting out of embarrassment or anger.

It’s difficult to say the best way Carlsen could have gone about this, but it’s not at all difficult to come up with a better way. If nothing else, he could have withdrawn from the Sinquefield Cup before it started, allowing the organizers to find a replacement player. Similarly, he could have withdrawn from the tournament going on right now.

e: I suspect Carlsen could just say he refuses to play in events where Niemann is playing in the future, but I don’t know for sure if that’s allowed under FIDE rules. I can’t find anything banning it. And, well, what he did in the Sinquefield Cup isn’t allowed either.

nrook fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Sep 22, 2022

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Ben Finegold also plays bridge, a superior game to the topic of this thread, so he is always right

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I feel all this focus on cheating has distracted the chess community from the real enemies in their midst: people who play 1. d4.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Chess.com may be a malign actor, a parasite, and the enemy of free chess, but they're still more trustworthy than Niemann or most of the other people accused of cheating.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

You can just disable takebacks in your settings on lichess, if you’d like to escape the weird ethical dilemma of deciding whether to allow them.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

The only big surprise is how stupid Hans was about cheating. Running the engine on the same computer? Really?

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Honestly, the main reason I’m skeptical of Niemann cheating in OTB games is that this would require he have a friend to help him out

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Chess.com definitely acted like douchebags, but it’s not illegal to act like a douchebag.

If it was, Hans would have been in real trouble before this whole kerfuffle!

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Hand Knit posted:

Here's a position from my game last night. When I was playing I thought that I'd hosed up and was maybe lost, but on review it looks like I actually played it pretty accurately and was ahead the whole time. Even the move I thought was terrible was apparently the only way to play for an advantage. So that's cool.

Anyway, here's a key position from late in the game. White to move. It's not a tactic like you'd regularly see used for a puzzle, but you do have to calculate. What does white play?

I'm not succeeding at calculating it all the way, but I think that f4 seems good? I would play f4, then follow it up with Rde3 and Re7, like:

1. f4 h5
2. Rde3 Kh7
3. Re7 Rxh8
4. Rxf7 Rxf7

If Black plays 1... Rxf4 that sacrifices a rook, and since I still have the threat of checkmate I think there's no attack; the Queen can't go anywhere unless it's check.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Hand Knit posted:

You've got the idea that I was thinking of: I really want to double the rooks so I can play Re7, which wins. Of course, black gets a say in the matter too: 25.f4 can be met with Bg4, attacking the rook on e2 which stops you from playing Rde3. There's no sacrifice on f4 for black, but there are ideas of cracking open the f-file by playing g5 at some point.

I figured I could just move the attacked rook down to the first rank if Bg4 was played. I thought about the d file too, but I was worried about a discovered attack from the bishop if I put a rook on d7.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Hand Knit posted:

I played around with this a bit. It looks like black has the idea of h5 and Qh7, forcing white's bishop to retreat. White maintains a positional advantage but you still have to be careful on defence against both g5 and h4 ideas.

Ah, yes, Qh7 is a move I didn’t see.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Better than me!

I saw Bxf6 Nxf6, and figured the trick of the position was to figure out a way to play Bxh7 without Nxh7 following, so I did…

[Variant "From Position"]
[FEN "r1b2rk1/ppqnbppp/2p1pn2/3p2B1/2PP4/2NBPN2/PPQ2PPP/R3K2R w KQq - 0 1"]

1. Ne5 Nxe5
2. dxe5 Qxe5
3. Bxf6 Bxf6
4. Bxh7+

And that's all well and good, this is a reasonable continuation, I didn't misread the board. But the problem is my goal was totally wrong— this position isn't actually good for White. I knew there would be no immediate attack, but I figured it was a persistent weakness. But the computer seems to figure there's not actually a weakness there, so White just brilliantly traded a center pawn for a rook pawn for no reason. Whoops.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i need a toggle between sober and drunk competitive play so i can calculate exactly how much elo i lose slamming the play button a few drinks in

having a drunk alt is a strategy endorsed by the strongest player alive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Salt Fish posted:

Spent 20 minutes trying to solve a puzzle on the lichess app only to realize it was an analysis board showing a random position.

this is one of my two chess related hobbies. the other is trying to solve endgame puzzles without labeled coordinates and getting the direction the pawns move in wrong