Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
Yeah it’s kind of like… because chess is so accessible and there are so many great, educational streamers there’s this feeling that if you just put in some time you can be Magnus (or Aman, at least). Just make the right moves! It’s the same thing with esports—you can just boot up the same game Faker plays! I know I can’t play in the NBA but i definitely have the idea that I could grind some computer game and go pro even though that’s equally out of the question

anyway all this to say that it’s perfectly okay to just enjoy the games through Levy’s analysis or whatever without feeling like you’re missing out on playing at an expert+ level—99% of these players devoted years of their youth to it, it’s just hard to remember that

yes im trying to go from < 900 to 2000 in my mid-thirties, do as I say etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

shelled out for a year of diamond membership on chess .com to try out their new insights thing. Here's where I am right now, my goal is to get rapid/daily over 1600 by this time next year (and i think bullet/blitz will follow but it's not a priority):

i've played way too much bullet without focusing on improvement lol

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

jiggerypokery posted:

You are rated the same as me on a good day, but I dropped to like 1k blitz lately.

Would love to hear your plan to reach 1600. Maybe we can share a learning plan

for the next couple months i'm planning to do at least ten puzzles a day (but not significantly more than that), two games at G30 or longer, and review the Insights page along with aimchess daily stuff

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

jiggerypokery posted:

What kind of puzzles?

for now, whatever chess.com serves up. once i get a better idea of my weaknesses i'll focus on those

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

okay, i did five puzzles while typing out my thoughts --

https://www.chess.com/puzzles/problem/1099616

my hunch is g4 here, and then either trade pawns or race white's f-pawn. but their pawn promotes with check and then i'm in trouble. so i feel like i have to take the pawn
1...gxf4 2. Kxf4 Kg2 3. Kg5 h4 is drawn but drawing is trivial. how do i *win* this? i feel like i need an extra move. AH! I can't promote with check on g1, but I can on h1. so my initial idea is probably good.

1... g4

2. hxg4 h4
3. f5 h3
4. f6 h2
5. f7 h1=Q+

or

2. h4 g3 and i have the extra move so it doesn't matter that white promotes with check, i can promote, move, and check first

2. f5 gxh3, promote with check, yeah, this is right.

https://www.chess.com/puzzles/problem/1448160

this one has more pieces lol

c3 or d2 are both squares the knight can check from, but they're occupied by my stupid major pieces. i can sac either. what's Rb3+ look like?

1...Rxb3+ and white can go axb3 or Ka1
2. Ka1 Qc3+
3. Nb2 Qxb2#

2. axb3 Nc3+
3. Ka1 Qa2#

cha-ching.

https://www.chess.com/puzzles/problem/1392266

first thing i see here is that i can sac the queen on f7 and pin the rook when it recaptures.

1. Qxf7+ Rxf7
2. Rxe8#

what if the king moves instead?

1. Qxf7+ Kh8
2. Rxe7 maybe? if black takes with the rook Qg8#. If they take with the bishop, Qxg8#. If they take with the queen... no, this isn't it. it's still a queen sac, i see it.

1. Qxf7+ Kh8
2. Qxe8+ Rxe8
3. Rxe8#, booyah

https://www.chess.com/puzzles/problem/1202416

great, king and pawns. not good at these. this one actually seems pretty straightforward, push the f-pawn 2 squares and promote. if white's d-pawn is undefended (either with d6 or c5) just take it. what i have to worry about is white playing Kf7, Ke7, *then* pushing the d-pawn. can I race?

1...f5
2. Kf7 f4
3. Ke7 f3
4. d6 f2
5. d7 f1=Q
6. d8=Q and then we just have to skewer to grab the queen. Qf6+? trade queens, then Kd6 to get the opposition... this seems too complex, though i think it's winning. perhaps there is a mating opportunity after 6. d8=Q

6. d8=Q and my f1 queen is on a white square so i can't check e7 diagonally. has to be Qf6+. white has two legal moves, Kd7 and Ke8.

7. Kd7 Qd6+... i can't find a mate here without moving the king which i don't have the tempo to do. I think we trade queens on d8, i put the king on d6 and break the b-pawn through. Still feels like i'm missing something but i'll try it.

okay, I was wrong. 1...f5 2. Kf7, i missed that I can block the pawns with Kd6 *before* they start moving and then my pawn still outruns the king. Oh wow my plan is actually losing. like i said, k+p endgames, yikes. at least i can just think about these and ostensibly figure it out. making a note to specifically learn the easy tablebase poo poo.

https://www.chess.com/puzzles/problem/1388488

well, we've got a queen-bishop battery that can check here, pretty straightforward.

1. Qa7+ Kc8
2. Be6+ and then whatever black does to block it
3. Qa8# woohoo!

I probably won't bog down this thread with long posts like this going forward (especially during the world championship!) but i just wanted to share an example of kind of what i'm thinking as i solve puzzles (or don't) and how i'm trying to take it into my regular games.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

oh yeah, i should have just posted little screenshots. once you click on it you'll see the other side make their first move (in this case it's 1. Bd3)

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

The next Candidates will have the 3 previous world championship challengers. wonder if we'll see someone get to run it back against magnus or if firouzja (or someone else) just stomps through it.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

fart simpson posted:

sorry but the actual most fun opening is the traxler counter gambit.

weird way to spell halloween gambit

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Sub Rosa posted:

Plenty of people know it is not a forced win for white with reasonable certainty. We don't really need the hard proof of a 32 piece tablebase to say that.

I don't really understand... most things about chess (or machines), but i'm not sure how they would arrive at this conclusion. Do you have a link or an explanation or anything i could read?

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

that's a really good explanation -- that white is never getting past +1 or whatever with perfect play from black and the advantage probably needs to be bigger than that to win, i can dig that. also congrats on your title!

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

yeah one of those is ~2200ish, the other is... 1200ish? tough to give it a rating because every chess.com puzzle under 1800 is a back rank mate

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

ah, got 'em with the old "didn't read the rules"

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Sub Rosa posted:

I mean he's associated with Eric Hansen, that's a reason

lmao facts

my dad gave me yasser's Winning Chess book series when i was a kid and i absolutely devoured it, idk if it holds up but i think it gave me a pretty solid base that i would go on to mostly forget

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

hikaru holy cow how you did steal a draw today

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Sub Rosa posted:

I really don't get the hate Hikaru gets from some corners like /r/chess because no one else anywhere near his strength would share this sort of analysis maybe ever let alone mid-event.

Same and I bet a lot of folks are extra steamed that he’s advancing lol

e: can you imagine if streamer memer tsm hikaru makes it to the candidates tournament

i know he said he'd give ding his spot but what if they don't let him

Spokes fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Feb 12, 2022

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Hand Knit posted:

Got it as soon as I realized it was April 1st.

read this message and went to try it, got it in 1 lol

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

poonchasta posted:

I don't feel comfortable using that site since their source code got hacked.

i'm not sure what level we're on here

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

What’s the discord link?

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Maugrim posted:

Can I have an invite too please? Assuming it's not completely dead.

ditto

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Chamale posted:

I made a weird thing that this thread might like. In the old video game Battle Chess, there's a unique capture animation for every combination of one piece capturing another. The maximum possible number of distinct captures in a game is 25. I recorded a series of moves against the Novice AI to achieve 25 different captures as quickly as possible. Of course, a faster solution might still exist, but this was the best I could find.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O57QX-UBUs

If you want to see the game on a standard online chessboard, click here.

The big question for me is: if pawns just step out of the way for knights to pass surely they could do it for a Queen or rook, right?

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Sub Rosa posted:

I think it's possible, maybe likely, that the next WC match will be Nepo vs Fabi and I think it will be interesting and entertaining chess.

i'm kind of bummed at this thought because i want the champ that follows magnus to be a next-generation player (either literally or figuratively) and i feel like either of those guys would be a step back

but if magnus is done, he's done. and if it's caruana v nepo i'll still watch every moment BRING IT HOME FABI

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

hikaru nakamura, clear second place with a game to go. just like everyone figured it would go yep

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

yeah Ding plays Nakamura tomorrow so he can jump to second but my hunch is that this is all theater and magnus is going to just defend against Nepo (which i hope happens despite my rabid naka fanboyism; i think Nepo is going to come in against Magnus this time with a lot less fear)

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

I think chess.com closing Niemann’s account based on OTB events (if that’s truly the extent of it) would be insane if he spent 5 minutes in the toilet with a cell phone between moves. For *these* events? There’s no fuckin way. Feels like an overreaction to protect the playmagnus brand or w/e.

Is he cheating? IMO, someone who has cheated online enough to get solidly busted twice is probably doing something nefarious now if I had to put money on it, but that could be as legal as “got someone to leak magnus’s prep”. Also IMO, gently caress him, should have permabanned him the second time. But I think everyone jumping to agree with what popular streamers are (almost) saying and treating it as a clear-cut proof of guilt is very bad. All these attacks/criticism are probably not great for any 19-year-old, let alone a chess dork. Misremembering the g3 game is an ugly misstep but if you were gonna lie, why not just say it’s a novelty you found in prep. I truly believe he thought he remembered it from that 2018 Magnus game; It’s not like that can’t be obviously checked.

Anyway this is the most interesting chess has been in a while and they hooked me, I’ll tune in for the rest of the cup.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

he should just announce that he's not playing anymore until more of these dorks pass 2800 if that's his goal. it can be obviously farcical quadruple round robins like ding did, whatever

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

officially, i'm on team "magnus is absolutely being a baby and needs to put some proof on the table or shut up and he especially needs to stop these antics that threaten the competitive integrity of the event (with that win hans is tied for fourth, a draw or a loss would have had him out of top 8).

privately i'm on team "after being caught cheating multiple times, hans was always on borrowed time and i hope magnus bullies him out of the sport before quitting himself"

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Starsfan posted:

It could be.. Levon Aronian gave an interview the other day where he said that he understood where Magnus was coming from and more or less that he hopes this will teach Hans a lesson and that he will stop doing what he's been doing.. or something to that effect. Then he went on about how if the Chess world just spent a fraction of it's resources on the problem it could be fixed no problem (???)

this really resonates with me as a competitive trivia player -- every online competition (along with many live) has some number of people cheating (usually a shitload) despite whatever safeguards are put in place. most commissioners are afraid to look too hard at cheating because statistically some number of their close friends are probably doing it (and the utterly insane trivia people might sue them for libel or some poo poo)

(now, trivia is mostly meaningless and doesn't have any of professional chess's prestige but i can certainly identify with the frustration that obvious cheaters just aren't ever investigated and people get a million extra chances once they ARE caught)

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

gret posted:

Maybe this is just me being old, but I just think that online cheating is, to be honest, not that big of a deal

I don’t think it’s that you’re old, you just have abysmal judgment

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Control Volume posted:

It taints the professional scene, which I will never be a part of so I really dont care. Dont need to worry about cheaters when you have moron Elo :coal:

many people cheat in moron elo

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

any more than usual

e: jeez that's the worst snipe sorry. i don't have anything constructive to add

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

tractor fanatic posted:

Finegold says Chess.com has a list of hundreds of GM cheaters, so yeah I suspect that list has some false positives on it, or GMs don't care about chess.com

I suspect hundreds of GMs have cheated on chess.com

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

I've yet to hear what the people who think that chess.com is obviously making stuff up because of their conflict of interest actually think is wrong with the report

Uh, assembly vs C+ or whatever duh it seems pretty plain to me

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Good thing he’s on C# now instead of rear end-embly

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

That’s an incredible answer lmao

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

holy cow that magnus/fabi match

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Redmark posted:

What are the funniest openings that aren't straight up trolling (as opposed to Bongcloud etc.)?
I saw the "Brooklyn variation" Alekhine: 1. e4 Nf6, 2. e5 Ng8 and for some reason I just find this hilarious. Tempted to start playing it now.

halloween gambit! halloween gambit!

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

a4 is certainly the most clever option, but then if they don’t take the bait and just play …f3 or something you’re scrambling to not get mated

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

I like always being able to get a game in a couple seconds, chess com seems to have a much larger bullet player base.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

love it

incredibly quick solve approaching it as a puzzle, completely impossible for me to find in a real game lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Huxley posted:

It's weird to me that my blitz rating is lower than my rapid. Like, obviously I'm worse with less time, but isn't everyone else? If rating isn't some true test of skill but just your average skill vs a particular pool, aren't I playing the same people at 800 blitz as I am 1000 rapid? Why aren't we all around 1k in every format?

To the first bit: Some people are just better at faster time controls. I’m ~1500 bullet but ~1100 rapid, much better at playing (and avoiding) traps as well as limited calculation really quickly (and compared to other players, my calc doesn’t improve as much when given more time)

Also I mostly play alapin Sicilian and Halloween gambit and I have a bunch of practice endgame flagging, things that do not remotely resemble chess skill