Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Hey, I'm getting into chess after not playing since I was like 7.

I have an account on lichess and chess.com, what is the standard format for laddering and getting them juicy elo points? 10 minute games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Thanks, I'll get into some 10 minute rapids and see where it gets me.

I played a correspondence with a friend (1600 ish elo on lichess) that is getting me into chess. Honestly I didn't do that bad according to stockfish but made a blunder on a king move here:

I moved my king the the corner and went from -5 evaluation to being mated in whatever amount of moves.

My main issue with chess is that I like to play as black since I can get away withg being more reactive. As white I don't know what I'm supposed to be doing the first 10 moves or so.

I guess I should maybe learn an opening or 2?

thanks for that!

Mikojan fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Aug 22, 2023

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Managed to beat stockfish 5 on lichess :woop:

Vienna is the first opener I'm trying to study and it messed up the gambit pretty badly losing a horse early game

Small steps but I'm loving the Vienna so far. Online has been a rollercoaster sitting around 1000 in blitz. I'm still hanging a poo poo ton of queens

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

big trivia FAIL posted:

my absolute favorite vienna line is the copycat where you bring your queen out 4. Qg4 and black responds Qf6. it gets spicy!

Oh yes I love that one. Have yet to see it happen vs a human though

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

I am still very bad at chess but I experienced the thrill of (incompetently) setting a trap and having it work the other night and I want to share.

From about here, turn 26, I am trying to mate with the queen and knight, but I'm under intense attack and down two points of material.

26. Ne3 is a blunder, I lost a forced checkmate on this move, but I was staring at 25 ...Qc2 and thinking I had to defend a checkmating attack and lol I missed it until two seconds after I went Ne3. But then I realized my opponent must have also missed it, so...

get ready for 11 blunders in a row!

after 26 ...Qc3
27. Kg1 d2?!
28. Kh2 a5
29. Nf5?! Rd3??
30. f3?? a4??
31. Rhf1?? a3??
32. Rf2?? a2??

This was my clever trap

I could see that taking the pawn on d2 would start a trade sequence that I would "lose" - and my opponent was trying to promote the a pawn and I hoped they'd see the same losing trade sequence and go for it. I was just trying to get the black queen off of the a1h8 diagonal so I could go Qxg7 and checkmate.

And it worked!

33. Rfxd2?? Rxd2??
34. Rxd2?? Qxd2??
35. Qxg7# 1-0

lmao I'm so terrible lol
950 rated rapid is where all the funniest chess happens I think

e. note that I did not see at any point that after Nh6, my opponent is losing after Ke8, Nxf7, Rxf7 because then Qb8 just leads to a sequence of taking both black rooks as she marches left across the board and the king is back rank mated. So I never saw I had a forced mate other than Qxg7.

What a rollercoaster

just to confirm, Qg7 would have been mate right? lol

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Say you lost to Neimann Magnus

coward

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

It finally happened, a textbook englund gambit

now to actually learn a real opener vs d4, recommendations appreciated

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

regulargonzalez posted:

Caro khan

E: oh, d4. Whatever that gambit is, d4 d5 c4 e5. It's fun.

AH yea I remember seeing a vid about that, the Albin countergambit

if everything flows like its supposed to you get this hilarious situation

how often do people play queen's gambit?

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

I'm playing Vienna as white, fantasy caro if they caro. As black I play caro vs e4. In the vary rare case of f4, I try the From's gambit.

So I'm trying to figure out a gameplan vs e4. I can fit in the Albin vs the queens gambit. However what do I play if they don't gambit? Just a regular london system?

I know trying to cover all bases isn't very feasable as a beginner but I do like being prepared and knowing exactly what to improve / study

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Pinnig makes no sense as white will just position their light squared bishop to be able to partake in the exchange right?

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Huxley posted:

It finally happened!

Nice! all that training finally paying off

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

I've mapped out the Vienna fairly well, mostly in the direction of the gambit and main line variation. The copy cat variation is pretty fun as well when black goes Nc6 Bc5.

However, I sometimes get into this position:

Which is hella boring since both sides tend to just build up the board in this clusterfuck of a stalemate.

Does anyone have any source material that deals with this? Or have any tips to break the monotomy of this game?

edit - found a great video that dives into a lot of main line vienna game variations
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QQ5sw-SgNw&t

Mikojan fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Sep 24, 2023

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

jesus WEP posted:

the london is a good opening but most youtube guides stop around here:

and don’t give much info of what your plan should be from here. lots of beginner london games turn into super long closed boring games as a result

would it make sense to castle queen's side and pawn storm the king?

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Mrenda posted:

I just played my best game tonight, which isn't saying much considering I've played about 25 games in this particular adventure with chess, but I smile thinking of it. It was against someone who actually slowed the game down, not a "patient" game but literally taking their time over their moves. This meant I slowed down too, and didn't feel inclined to slam out moves. I still blundered (3 blunders, 1 mistake, 1 inaccuracy) but they blundered more, including what I have to presume is the move that allowed me to get checkmate because they forgot what purpose a piece was serving on a square as the game had advanced a few times.

This is basically telling me I have to slow down games off my own back even if the opponent is pounding out moves. To resist the tendency to match the back and forth being set. I still didn't fully calculate out everything, but there was definitely more thought given to the pressure certain moves were gaining on the opponent, and what moves they were likely to make on me to threaten me. Whether I had time to make a positive move or whether I needed to be more precautionary in what I was doing.

Definitely my most satisfying game so far. It felt like a "proper" game of chess. Similar in feeling to what I get otb.

I know what you mean. All of my satisfying games are long drawn out ones because its fulfilling to see enemy plans, twart then and come up with your own convoluted clusterfucks.

I sometimes play correspondence games vs two of my friends who are 1200 and 1400 rated respectively and end up winning an ok amount of times.

But then I get into online rapids / blitz games and I just have this overwhelming urge to bust out moves. And I'm making the dumbest mistakes locking me in at 700 rating.

I hope I'm at least learning something blitzing moves but my gut tells me no, and its just feeding into some addiction.

I think, if you play rapids, and most of your games leave you with 3-5 minutes on the clock, might as well play blitz.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

errr seems p straight forward? h5#

Ive done so many puzzles by know I know that pawn structure

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

Yeah I agree. Once I decided the rooks nothing useful to do, briefly considering F5+ and then ooh.

e On second thought I think you are "supposed" to worry about getting your rooks forked.

I don't know how these puzzles are selected, but I do agree sometimes it comes with a suspiciously juicy fork to worry / salivate over

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

a gangtag would be pretty rad actually

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

something like "?? Blunder Buds" ?

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

ikanreed posted:

I just tried playing puzzles while sick and man. Going from 2100 to 1600 is a lot

ahhh, addict rage queueing, I've been there, oh yes

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Arrhythmia posted:

if you wanna feel good about yourself I found out chess.com will give you a brilliant for the centre-fork trick in the ruy lopez every single time

as white with d4 or black with Qd4 ?

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Is there any place I can create custom drills? I want to practice Vienna opening variations. It would be nice to have a bunch of variations set up that play out randomly. The drill section on chesscom isn't quite what I want. I want a drill that plays out from move 1, then reacts with a programmed set of moves. Kind of like the drills on Chessly, but bunched up in a big pool that play out randomly.

- edit: ah nvm, Chessly literally has this exact option. Is there a place I can create these pools myself though?

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

CubicalSucrose posted:

I think you can do something like this with Chessable?

I'll check it out.

One step further though: could I get this somewhere for offline use?

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

gz! what rating were you around the time you started?

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

cock hero flux posted:

never resign, there's always a chance for your opponent to gently caress up and stalemate you

I know, and I don't, but I always feel kind of guilty when it happens.

Until I remember the last time I accidently stalemated someone or ran out of time.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

I just instinctively know my brain is not wired to be able to do this. I will forever be bad at it and I accept that

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Chamale posted:

I found a brilliant move in this position. I thought it was fairly obvious, but apparently Stockfish disagreed.

Nc6+ c6, and the Black bishop is trapped behind an impenetrable wall of pawns. If Black tries to avoid that, the knight gets away, or at least takes an extra pawn before being captured.

huh that's cute. But Isn't it basically already like that? I didn't guess it anyway. I was thinking
Ng6, to threaten the rook and avoid them pairing up as well. That way you don't give either your rook or knight away for free, but it's probably wrong somewhere.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

I'm 2300 rated chesscom puzzles and 2200 lichess puzzle. Meanwhile I'm hardstuck 500 elo on chesscom because my brain is addicted to speed and I play nothing but 3m blizz and take no time at all to look for tactics.

I tried getting into rapids for a bit but always end the game with 8m+ on the clock. Maybe I should make some kind of checklist and force myself to go over all points every turn.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

For the people that suffer from rating anxiety:

There is this thing I do in most ELO based games where I have 2 accounts (might be against TOS, the lichess one was very vague) and bunnyhop the rating. Switch to queueing on whatever account is lower rated, that way losing won't feel as bad since you have a 'good' account left and you can freely spam until you top that one.

If you want to streamline it to not log in all the time is just be logged on one account on your phone, and the other on your PC or whatever

Mikojan fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Nov 24, 2023

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

PerniciousKnid posted:

I blundered my queen to my 7yo but then tricked her into stalemate. :smug:

tough luck kid, lmao

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

lmao lol, 2 games in a row where white just automoves for a fried liver and loses a pawn and a knight in 5 moves.

Finally making some progress, 600 on chesscom and 1100 on lichess :toot:

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

cock hero flux posted:

most satisfying move of my life

King got lost looking for the restrooms or something?

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

The one piece of advice I'd tell mypast self to get 2.2k+ puzzles is just really take your time looking at everything.

I put down chess for a while but getting back into it. Now 700 blitzz chesscom and 1100 blitz lichess.
This is coming from 300 / 700, feeling good! Unless I lose due to a blunder, then I just get really goddamn angry! (like irrationally angry, rly wish I didn't)

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Salt Fish posted:

Spent 20 minutes trying to solve a puzzle on the lichess app only to realize it was an analysis board showing a random position.

please tell me you spotted a tactic

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

It seems my chess super power is instantly seeing the best move my opponent can make 0.1 seconds after I make my blunder.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Goddanm that was definitely a puzzle. I had 0 clue what was going on first move so I had to analyze it, then when the idea clicked the rest came pretty readily, very cool.

For once an idea I can actually try and apply to games.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

PerniciousKnid posted:

I got it eventually but there's no way I would ever see that in a game. Fun though.

I wouldn't be able to ever trap a queen like that. However, at my elo it is definitely possible to lure some rube into taking my 'blunder' without them spotting the xray on the king followup

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Redmark posted:

Funny ending to a game I just had.

I played Qb7 and the opponent resigned. Both players displaying tunnel vision here.

Ne2 would have been M1 right?

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

I checked to see what white looked like and .. good god

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Sorry for this incredibly noob question but:

Black O-O-O's here, after I specifically positioned my bishop to stop it. Is everything I learned about chess wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

jesus WEP posted:

the king can’t castle through check but a rook can castle through the squares a bishop attacks

Goddamn, I feel like such a noobie now