Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Chess is great once your not just hanging peices every game. It's not an unbelievable commitment to get there. It's about 900-1000 or so rating on chess.com.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

busalover posted:

This is me. Online pvp raises my anxiety too much, no matter what game.

you can play it collaboratively too, I sometimes crack a game out over zoom with a friend and we just talk through every move we are thinking of on both sides. You can then go over it with the engine and see where we collectively hosed up

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

You are rated the same as me on a good day, but I dropped to like 1k blitz lately.

Would love to hear your plan to reach 1600. Maybe we can share a learning plan

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

I have no idea what to do with the insights on chess.com, I had the same thing with aimchess. I'm 12% less accurate in the middlegame than I am in the opening. I guess that means I need to do a lot more puzzles/tactics but then this is blitz so?

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Spokes posted:

for the next couple months i'm planning to do at least ten puzzles a day (but not significantly more than that), two games at G30 or longer, and review the Insights page along with aimchess daily stuff

What kind of puzzles?

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

I've been looking at chess.com insights. I've been playing 15 years (off more than on) have over 4000 games logged and am rated 1000 blitz. That is awful right? What to do...

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Captain von Trapp posted:

In principle a perfect chess engine would have only three evaluations: "White to mate in N", "Black to mate in N", and "Draw". That we humans have a bunch of weird shades of "draw, but Player X is more likely to blunder" is not necessarily super easy for an engine to evaluate. There have been some efforts to develop engines that play like people, blunders and all, by training based on a corpus of games played by humans at a particular ELO. Those could probably be used in this context. Might be an interesting research problem!

If you had chess.com's database you could probably get a long way pinging off moves actual players have made in most positions with just position lookup.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

I started teaching my girlfriend chess. It's been super interesting to really try to think about the best way to break it down and teach it, and, as a 1000 ish blitz player, I am learning a tonne by trying.

First, we covered how the pieces moved then we did a game, with her playing both sides and talking about the possible moves.

Next, after some research, I found this amazing video from Yasser explaining why the pieces are worth what they are (hint: it's how much control they have on their best squares, which I didn't know!) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDw8yfeUiBg

What should I teach next? Has anyone got any basics videos as beautiful as that one?

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

I normally take opportunities like those to blunder several pieces then my queen

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Talking in second person is a very covid-policy thing. I fear for the lexical landscape we are creating for our children

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Anyone got a favourite offline puzzle/training app?

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Hand Knit posted:

A puzzle I did today had a pretty fun solution. It's from a section on opposite-coloured bishop endgames, and the different ways to win them. This one is white to move and win. You can figure out the basic idea pretty easily: the only real opportunity for a breakthrough seems to be by taking on b7 with the king. The particular lines can be a bit tricky, but here's the fun one.

1.Kc5 Bd6 2.Kb6 Ba6 3.b5 cxb5 4.Bb4 and black's bishop is completely entombed on a6.

I know I am bad at chess but... What?

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Hand Knit posted:

I guess I've been looking at a lot of boards upside down and transposed the letters in my mind. Should be fixed now.

I still don't get it. Be6? Be3 maybe?

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

jesus WEP posted:

i didn't know until today that there's a video of hikaru and scott hansen having a drunken physical fight while yasser talks poo poo and laughs about it with caruana, because yasser is the coolest dude in chess

Woah really? Hinting but not linking video content of this calibre should be bannable.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

fart simpson posted:

i just got this totally ludicrous winning position in bullet. down 8 points of material and in check but that attack on his king was just in time that he didn’t really have a way to stop it

Gonna have to take your word on that, op

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

No one really knows if perfect play is a draw because chess isn't solved. It can't ever be solved either. Computer chess exists as a meta sport of who can make the best approximator of perfect play.

Bobby Fisher thought perfect play was a draw I'm pretty sure, and many grand masters agree but it's one of those things that is mathematically unknowable

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

I'd expect if they didn't stockfish would just repeat the same game over and over and alphazero might too depending on if the previous game was added to its model or not

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

I think its fair to say we know chess is a draw in the way we know the value of pi. I actually wonder if it wasn't fundamentally a draw it would be anything like as important as it is as a human sport.

I suppose given perfect play tennis is a draw too. It would just be an infinite rally till the heat death of the universe. It's the error that makes it interesting

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

D34THROW posted:

Perfect golf would be hella satisfying though. Tiny white ball curving and arcing eighteen times over nearly 4 miles of grass, impeccably locating its three-inch target each time...

Can you imagine? Boston dynamics running robo golf tournaments as the next stage of the ai chess dick swinging contests of the last 50 years.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

What are they gonna do? Sell 1.e4 lol

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

So if I resign after 1.e4 I can, infact, own 1.e4. I look forward to seeing you all in court.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

It's cute they think anyone is going to

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

He always says he's a streamer now not a "serious player" but honestly that kind of talk can really give you an edge in performance. He might play his best chess ever now

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Hand Knit posted:

I wonder how much he just specifically does not want to play Nepomniachtchi. From some of the excerpts I've seen it almost feels like he was insulted by Nepomniachtchi's collapse in the second half of the match.

Do you know much about the details of the changes he asked fide for?

I assumed it wasn't exactly personal against nepo more like frustration at the sheer effort you still have to put in long past the point that it is clear who the better player is in the world championship matches.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

We need humans playing classical chess to advance the game.

The world champion should be the human being who shows the best understanding of how to judge the relative merits of each position.

Computers combine human ideas of what might be worth calculating with perfect calculation.

It's fair enough to not want to be the world champion for 10+ years.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Its loving crazy. None of it makes sense unless you read the bit where it says 100 million dollars in the doctor evil voice.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

rollick posted:

Are computer chess boards still a thing?

how do opponent moves work on those things?

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Hand Knit posted:

Today's lesson in Know Your Endgames: https://lichess.org/7bRtIbY9Z8Nl

White resigns in a drawn position.

I've been starting trying to learn some more about them lately.

According to the lichess puzzle dashboard my endgame puzzles are hundreds of points behind my others.

I think the problem is more conceptual. Like, I get forks, pins etc for middlegame tactics. What I don't have is an equivelent set of endgame patterns. Are there any books or resources you recommend for building up conceptual followed by concrete knowledge of endgame situations?

For reference I'm like 1600 repid on lichess. I have an amazing app for chess endgame training, but it's just playing vs the tablebase or stockfish and doesn't explain anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

i kinda hate the chess.com lessons anyway. Danya is way better, and who has time for more than that?