Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Carlsen has youtube and twitch channels.
On twitch he mostly stream ultrabullet tournaments, actually hasn't for some time. https://www.twitch.tv/maskenissen
The youtube you also get a lot of videos from his team, for example them commenting on a tournament magnus plays in. They announced a stream for the upcomming match. https://www.youtube.com/c/themagnuscarlsen

And the current favourite of the old thread is Daniel Naroditsky, with his great explanations of how to play better chess and his "speedrun".
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHP9CdeguNUI-_nBv_UXBhw
https://www.twitch.tv/gmnaroditsky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

Also the live feed is up, it does look like as a departure from the previous few worlds it's being streamed on YouTube for free:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1XFLBJmd0Y

Nah, they always did that and then switched to paid for after either half of the day or half of the tournament.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Anand right now: "Play to get positions you like"
Best chess advice.
He got the best stream for the current tourney.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Lol, at the announcer doing his best ring voice and then having to wait several minutes for Magnus to actually walk in. That was Maurice Ashley, right?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I got the feeling that carlsen wanted to run nepo out of prep. And when nepo had more of this line prepared then carlsen was expecting he went for the draw.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Those were some crazy swings right before the time control.

But before that:
Magnus: I am going to play an innovative opening and then trade QvRR.
Stockfish: 0.0 basically a forced draw from move 8.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Hand Knit posted:

Not all equal are equal. Kramnik pegged the QvRR line as "white wins eventually" as soon as he saw it.
Yes, exactly that makes it funny. Stockfish thinks it is more drawish/equal then even a normal championship game. All humans love it as a tense game.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

D34THROW posted:

Who was that dude in the white robe and what was he doing with Magnus? I've never watched championship chess before.

An Arbiter and he gave him the score-sheet to sign, at least according to Anand's commentary.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

The first championship win in something like 5 years.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Redmark posted:

Is there any data on the most common openings by rating? I'm around 1650 Blitz on lichess and I feel like there's some strange opponent behavior going on.
When I have the black pieces, most games start 1. e4 and the opponent often blitzes out a bunch of moves which I presume are theory and takes an advantage out of the opening.
But when I'm white, a lot of games go like 1. d4 d5 2. c4 dxc4 3. e4 and then the opponent starts spending time thinking (sometimes straight up blundering right after).

Does 1. d4 not get played very often at this level?
1d4 is a close second. It is 2..dxc that is rare. And I suppose so is 3.e4 with e3 being the beginner recommendation and Nf3 being the master move.
1. d4 d5 2. c4
Players at 1600

Players over 2000

1. d4 d5 2. c4 dxc4
1600:

Over 2000

I am pretty surprised that Nc3 is so popular, I think it is a terrible move.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Nepo making an innovative move while carlsen is on the crapper or something, now he seems to have to wait in the room because he wants to see carlsen's face when he comes back in 10 minutes.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I look away for a few hours, and magnus got a passed pawn again.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I haven't seen an English opening in forever, either personally or watching.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Anand's stream seems dead today, or maybe he went paid only.
What is the next best stream?

e: and now they are back.

VictualSquid fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Dec 10, 2021

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

That reminds me: Is there any NN chess engine that is trained in a format that values draws as less then 1/2 ? I assume it would play somewhat differently.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

So, one one hand the world rapid championship has started and is always kinda fun to watch. On the other hand I can't find any commentary channel that I actually like. Fide has terrible recording quality, chess.com has a very boring guy, chess24 has 90% breaks...

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Dias posted:

Zugzwang is a good word, Germany always comes thru when we need words for abstract concepts.

I've been calling...well, exchanges exchanges, instead of trades like I used to when I played CCGs, that's another one.

Zugzwang is pretty funny, because it became popular in German in the same year as in English. And it also expanded into being used as an allegory at the same time.
In short Nimzo is just that cool.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

TrixRabbi posted:

Is there a significant difference between how Chess.com and Lichess assess ratings? I've been struggling to get out of the 800s for Rapid games on Chess.com for awhile now, but on Lichess after playing for a bit I've landed around the mid-1300s for rating and I'm not really feeling that much of a difference in the difficulty of the games -- if anything I've been doing a bit better there. Just curious if there's anything to that or if it's just a string of luck.

On lichess the default rating is 1500 and the median rating is also around 1500. On chess.com the default rating is 1200 iirc, never looked up the median but it is probably also 1200.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I was actually hoping for ding to get 2. Place after Nepo. Because he hasn't challenged Magnus yet. That would have given the best chance of him defending inserted of retiring. I think.

With nepo vs. naka, he can say that he had beaten off both already.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Oh god, I look away for a second hour and suddenly Ding!

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I am cheering for Ding, because he will have more cause to poo poo talk magnus for running away.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I saw an over one hour video on magnus' channel about his retirement. But I hadn't had time to watch it yet.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I watch a lot of go, when I am not in the mood for chess and very much prefer their time system.
If you don't know, they have large "delays" that is increment that can't be banked, and relatively short main time. With the delay not even starting until the main time is used up.
Which in practice for long games means that the players use up their main time fully during the early midgame. And then they get a reliable rhythm for one move per minute for the rest. With commentators often only tuning in after the main time is used up, giving a fun viewing experience.

Not sure if it actually is suitable for chess, but someone who actually knows good chess trying any delay or low main time system is something I always wanted.

Also, I watched the magnus interview on his channel, and he doesn't say much interesting. Only that he didn't give specific demands to fide, and that he didn't like their unspecified ideas. And that he had been seriously considering stepping down for almost 2 years.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I actually think that the chess champion should be decided without tournament. From a combined score from the various actual championships. Blitz, Rapid, Classical, Correspondence, and ideally another "modern or something" that is between Classical and Rapid.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Salt Fish posted:

I agree that chess tournaments should not use engine evaluation until after the game is done.

Rather, the ability to use engine evals responsibly (sparingly) is the most important skill for a tournament commentator in the current age.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I have been playing 1d4 for a long time. I used to have a good response for the baltic, but I just noticed that I have forgotten it because I haven't seen the opening in a long time.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

If you watch any video of Magnus, you can see that he has only two states. One is him visibly straining to keep his assholeness under control to appear professional. And if he loses a game he goes to uncontrolled rear end in a top hat mode.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

busalover posted:

Are any of the big russian players part of the current mobilization? Where does Nepo live?

Nepo gave up his Russian citicenship in february right after the invasion started, iirc.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Promethium posted:

I wasn't aware that Nepo had changed his citizenship (I feel it'd be bigger news if he did?) or even switched federation like some other players. He did publicly oppose the war, but so did Dubov and Esipenko and both of them just played in the Russian Championship the past week.

He attended without country at the candidates.
The same as happened with Alireza a few years ago, when he left Iran for the tournament and just stayed in France. I assume that Nepo also hasn't returned to Russia since that.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

qsvui posted:

I can't believe the Play Magnus app was bought for $83 million. I've never used it but isn't it just playing against an engine? Are there really that many people that want to play against bots?

I was going to say that I enjoyed the puzzles in the app a lot, making it my favourite offline chess app while I was travelling through places with bad internet a few years ago.
Then I remembered that that was the other magnus app. And I have never uses Play Magnus.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Hand Knit posted:

Now I'm not saying this whole story took a major turn but

https://twitter.com/FIDE_chess/status/1580121846552199168?s=20&t=0awOUbIhCt4LbzgDlTCy2w

this whole story just took a major turn.

Isn't that the guy who was a pretty good commentator for a lot of FIDE's official streams? But, I might also confusing him with someone with a similar name.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Reading that thread makes it look like the lawsuit will end in the most boring way possible. With the suit against chess.com dismissed bc it is in the wrong state, and the other ones dismissed bc Hansen didn't claim malice.

Also there were several tech/hacker sites building chess assisting buttplugs for some reason.
As I understand it, the allegation was that Hansen had an assistant inputting moves, operating the engine and then communicating with him. The hardware should be indistinguishable from a normal remote controlled buttplug that you can buy everywhere and worn in the same way you would wear it for non-cheating reasons.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Huxley posted:

OK! Take a stockfish break, go lose to some real people.

Which type should I play?

Just choose one in the middle and then adjust as you like it. I would recommend sticking with high increment, though.
If you regularly lose track of your calculations use a faster setting. If you regularly run out of time use a slower setting.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I am watching the chess 24 steam for the rapid, and lol at their main advertiser trying to sell Tesla stock.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Today on dumb chess memes:

Magnus's chat bot posted:

Nightbot
: To play chess is to engage in a dance of the mind, a test of wit and strategy. The challenge of outmaneuvering a living, thinking opponent is what gives the game its depth and meaning. To resort to playing against a faceless, soulless machine is to deprive oneself of the rich, human experience that chess has to offer.I therefore refuse to play the "Mittens" bot, for to do so would be to diminish the very essence of the game that I hold dear.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I don't doubt that the team was chanting and making fun of Niemann. After all Carlsen once did a online tournament stream where his team tried to do some rapping about some Norwegian football scandal.

But, he doesn't pay people to do things they would do for free.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Control Volume posted:

Also its one of the few F2P games without a monetization scheme baked in. Truly ahead of its time.........

Then why is that boom happening on the server built around a monetization scheme? Instead of the other one.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Wasn't it pretty similar in the US when Caruana challenged Carlsen?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I really hate those kind of position in my games. where I have clearly won, but converting take forever of precise manoeuvring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

algebra testes posted:

I do miss Jan and Svidler and also Simon Williams because he's a goof.

Jan does the German language commenting, right now.

Also funny that Danya is taking a break from commenting, presumably to finish up shilling his new london book, on the day that they play the london.