Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Hand Knit posted:

Also, Carlsen is playing yet another position I wouldn't be comfortable playing in a thousand years. Black's solidified a-pawn isn't exactly immediately threatening, but it seems like a permanent concern stopping you from doing anything.

As a fairly high-ranked player, what lessons do you get from high-level play like this? Are you still picking up fundamentals, or is it more like getting a preview of the meta for the next few years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

D34THROW posted:

What analysis engine does Chess.com use? Obviously Lichess uses Stockfish but I about poo poo myself earlier when I was fiddling with openings on Chess.com and did a Ruy Lopez, Morphy Defense. Typically after 4. Ba4 Nf6 I would castle kingside as white, and here's why I have my question. Chess.com gave 5. O-O as a 100% black victory, while Stockfish on Lichess is giving it 30% / 52% / 18%.

As an aside, I really like how Lichess explains the tactics. Going a little further took me into a closed Ruy Lopez and then I scrolled down and saw this whole thing explaining 4 or 5 different next moves for white and the implications of each. This is kind of the stuff I need, and how Chess for Dummies resonated for me 15 years ago. That book is how I learned enough to understand open files, back rank mates, etc.

If you're talking about the opening explorer, that 100% comes from looking at games in its database, not an engine evaluation

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

tfw the engine gives you five blunders in a row because you didn't loving take b4

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

V for Vegas posted:

The manbun gone!

Only winners can wear the bun

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

tanglewood1420 posted:

At last, a blunder in a world championship match that I wouldn't have made! (I would have blundered many other times in different ways)

Rating is just the mean time between blunders

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Salt Fish posted:

I would love to hear and discuss why chess is so infested with crypto, but out of respect for what is an excellent thread I am going to ask that over here in the crypto thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3838405

It's not specifically a chess thing, crypto companies have a lot of money coming into them and they're spending it on ads all over the place

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

V for Vegas posted:

Magnus will not defend his title!! Wow, I did not expect that.

https://i.imgur.com/ohHDYTC.mp4

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Hand Knit posted:

Full points.

Got another one from my game today. Elementary themes always feel good. Maybe slightly harder than the last one or maybe slightly easier depending on your tastes.

White to move and win

Rh3 Qdoesn't-matter-it's-dead Rh8 Bh8 Qg8?

edit: I guess Qh3 is forced since that negates that mate threat

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Ignoring the drama side of the drama, it’s been interesting hearing the discourse about what cheating would look like. I would have never thought that something like the equivalent of someone walking by and tapping you on the shoulderbutthole to watch out would be powerful, but it makes a lot of sense.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Salt Fish posted:

You caught me. It's true, I'm a FIDE International Master.

What’s your preferred brand of remote butt plug?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

I feel like it's an issue, that you know it's a puzzle and therefore solvable and therefore you're going to study it till you find the solution you know exists.

That's why I only do puzzles

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/egregirls/status/1623968376593711108

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

It’s the best kind of puzzle answer

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Salt Fish posted:

Whats the followup after Kh3?

Nf4, threatening mate on h2. The queen is lost, it's just a choice of how

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

regulargonzalez posted:

I'm not very good but e3 is the move right. But if I had any kind of time pressure I'd probably go c4 and then 1... d2 and you're hosed. That's my 1400 analysis.

E: or maybe not? Those two moves aren't committal so I could still recover

E2: ok looked at the game, that's pretty funny

I think you’re right e3 let’s you stop whites pawn, and makes white decide between defending their pawns and letting your b pawn queen, or go after your b pawn and letting you gobble up the white pawns

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Promethium posted:

I can easily see myself making the same drawing mistake as the actual game if I didn't have time to calculate it all the way through. I think the main takeaway is that you can't instantly assume you're going to win just because you can take all the pawns, even if it initially seems like the white king will be way offside.

oops, I meant I was thinking e6 not e3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Salt Fish posted:

Chess players fly a ton, someone must have done a speedrun type video on an airplane against a noob in another seat.

Gonna need a vid of Hikaru playing randos on that chess app all of those airplane entertainment systems have