Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
I only do puzzles because I know I'd just get incredibly :argh: playing actual chess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joe football
Dec 22, 2012

D34THROW posted:

Puzzles are helping me to learn that my biggest challenge lies in learning to play lines in my head. Then I cant figure it out, hit view solution, and feel dumb when it was scholars mate levels of obvious. :downs:

Yeah I'm at around 1600/1700 on puzzles and finding it really hard to progress because they actually expect me to see several moves ahead on a lot of them now :confused:

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
If Nepo wins and Fabi finished second, and Carlsen follows through on not playing, a Nepo/Fabi championship match seems like it could be pretty great based on this tournament

Or maybe months of intensive individualized prep would squeeze the life out of it and world championship matches are always going to underwhelm no matter who plays

joe football
Dec 22, 2012

Sub Rosa posted:

Magnus met with the FIDE President reportedly saying he will only play if FIDE agrees to format changes. What are those changes? We don't know, but Magnus had in the past said the WCC should incorporate multiple time controls. Giri, who spoke to Magnus after the meeting, said he thought it was 60% likely Magnus would not play. I take that to mean he thinks FIDE is 40% likely to agree.

So today's game for 2nd has a real chance to mean something. I like Hikaru and Ding so I would enjoy Ian versus either, but certainly I think with Hikaru's success in finding an audience on YouTube and Twitch, he would be the most exciting opponent. 🌻🍍🌻

Kind of wonder what would happen to hiraku's streaming if that happened. The Magnus will-he-or-won't-he stuff makes it sound like prepping for the WC is a life devouring grind, so wouldn't he have to decide (at least temporarily) between his lucrative streaming career or giving himself a shot in the match?

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
If you're going to cheat, doing it with the black pieces against the best/most famous chess player in the world seems like a really bad way to go about it unless you're supremely confident in your methods

joe football
Dec 22, 2012

rollick posted:

Aronian said in interview yesterday that his suspicion of Hans made him more doubtful, and play worse. That also seems to be what happened with Carlsen and Firouzja in the Sinquefield Cup.

So just having a reputation as a cheater is enough to give you a psychological edge at top levels.

I guess they would know how it feels but since a cheater is essentially unbeatable based on what people have been saying, why would this cause you to play worse? It's not like if you try extra hard you're going to win against an engine

joe football
Dec 22, 2012

AARD VARKMAN posted:

they have no actual proof he is currently cheating in the game they are in, they can only go off the game they're playing. making an unusual move like Hans did makes you think "is there some huge line I'm missing here?" instead of just playing against it as normal if you have to suspect them of cheating all the time

I guess I might just be more fatalistic then elite(or even good) chess players, but I'd just look it as if they're able to cheat effectively then I've pretty much lost just by sitting down at the board so there's no reason to worry about it or change my approach during the game

joe football
Dec 22, 2012

stratdax posted:

I wonder what Magnus's plan is for the next time he faces Hans Moleman. Just retire every time?

Think the idea is to get him blackballed from major invitational tournaments so he doesn't have to worry about that

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
Around 2300 puzzle on chess.com and the main pattern I'm recognizing is if the solve rate is below 40% I'm not getting it ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
Content-free number post, got to the next round puzzle number :toot:

But not sure I'm getting to 2500 now that I can only get +5 a pop

Also my puzzle rush scores have gone to poo poo as I've become too paranoid to move quickly