Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

L.H.O.O.Q.
Jan 3, 2013

:coal:
Is it something with moving the f pawn?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L.H.O.O.Q.
Jan 3, 2013

It’s mate in one :mmmhmm:

L.H.O.O.Q.
Jan 3, 2013

What’s the story with his lack of support? I would have thought the Chinese state would be big on helping one of their players become world champion?

L.H.O.O.Q.
Jan 3, 2013

Yeah, tuning in right when the meltdown was happening and turning your nose up at the emotion of it, getting the vapours or what have you is lol. The commentary was entertaining and also pretty sober for all of it until then and I think it’s fine for them to get caught up in it. A world championship match in anything should be high stakes and therefore high drama. Doing a forced po faced commentary in the moment would rob the whole thing of humanity or consequence.

L.H.O.O.Q.
Jan 3, 2013

Seem to remember a few years ago having chess.com doing commentary pointedly without the bar…or was that the official fide stream?

Also completely agree with kalensc

L.H.O.O.Q.
Jan 3, 2013

Thought the puzzle in the article here was super neat https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/apr/21/chess-ding-misses-wins-and-his-prep-leaks-as-nepomniachtchi-keeps-the-lead

I didn’t see the whole thing it even when I worked out it all had to do with the black g pawn. What’s the best way to set up boards online to play through lines? I get muddled picturing five moves in my head

L.H.O.O.Q.
Jan 3, 2013

Carrier posted:

i wanted ding to win but gently caress man, seeing nepo knock over all his pieces by the side of the board at the end as he realised he was losing was brutal

Broke my heart. An absolutely pure moment

Great match and shame for someone to have to lose it.

Ding’s play style vs his personality (in halting English at least) is a fantastic and fun contrast.

L.H.O.O.Q.
Jan 3, 2013

I can’t quite see the mate. I have knight to c2 check. Queen has to take. Black queen takes back threatening mate on c1 but white has time to move the knight. I guess you’re up the queen an eating up everything in any case…

L.H.O.O.Q.
Jan 3, 2013

Oh yeah! drat that is very nice.

L.H.O.O.Q.
Jan 3, 2013

Well after the rook moves back revealing the check, white can throw a symbolic block with bc3 but that’s about it, no?

L.H.O.O.Q.
Jan 3, 2013

I just see that chess.com has analysed me as having played a few games at an estimated 1400elo and therefore that is my true rating even if my current one is 1069 and I’ve never even been above 1100.

L.H.O.O.Q.
Jan 3, 2013

Yeah, the most fun win I’ve had in a while was with an accuracy of 49 or so, where I’d found myself in an awkward position early on and just decided to go super aggressive and throw everything at the king with sacks etc. very unlike what I usually do. Completely gonzo chess, but my opponent all of a sudden had to deal with a lot of bullshit and I somehow won it.

The usual stuff at my elo is more ‘optimal’, quiet and counting trades and waiting for blunders from the other side. I definitely get affected by being able to analyse every game I play and see computer lines etc. if I was learning a decade ago it would have been very very different

L.H.O.O.Q. fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Dec 17, 2023

L.H.O.O.Q.
Jan 3, 2013

Just wondering. Does just going f3 or h3 amount to the same thing where the only legal move is to take? Or does it have to be en passant?

L.H.O.O.Q.
Jan 3, 2013

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

f3, h3, and for the record h4 (i got distracted by this one for a bit when i was solving) all leave a legal move for black that doesn't involve taking. there is only one move that force black to take

Arrhythmia posted:

Only 1. f4 works because black can follow up with 1 ... f4 otherwise and then you don't have enough time to mate.

Oh yeeeahh super silly of me to miss that. What a nice puzzle position.

What’s a good uploader/host people use these days for image sharing on SA btw?

L.H.O.O.Q. fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Dec 29, 2023

L.H.O.O.Q.
Jan 3, 2013

Huxley posted:

Today in Time Better Spent Than Thinking About Openings: Doing this until it is impossible to get wrong ever again.

https://www.chess.com/endgames/pawn/winning-king-and-pawn/challenge

Getting my head around king opposition took forever and I still get mega stressed I’m going to bungle into a draw/stalemate….and often do just that.

L.H.O.O.Q.
Jan 3, 2013

Incredibly brutal finish omg. Hope this brings alireza back from the brink of tilting the whole tournament.

L.H.O.O.Q.
Jan 3, 2013

Nepo is incredible in defense. Shame it doesn’t look like we’ll see tiebreakers but Gukesh is for sure a deserving winner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L.H.O.O.Q.
Jan 3, 2013

Nepo seems like a genuinely nice guy and that moment last championship when he spilled his pieces realising he’d lost the match broke my heart. I hope Ding figures himself out and we get a good match