Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
I took a few weeks off from chess and came back to it recently. I think I am enjoying it more and playing healthier amounts instead of straight binging huge chunks of my days off, getting tired and tilting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

What is the go-to stream to follow the championship?

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

One-two punch of ...Bc5?? followed by ...f6?? leads to mate on turn 7

https://lichess.org/9MJaWg2y/white#13

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

https://lichess.org/UUjZ8d5F/white#46

Kind of a fun little sequence, bishop pair vs two knights trying to pass a pawn. It was low elo bullet so they blundered a knight, but it reminded me that Bishop Pairs Are Good.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

h7 doesn't really open your king up like pushing the f or g pawn (same logic mirrored on the other side), and it can keep you from being back rank mated. There are some specific situations where they can attack that pawn on the flank, but pushing a or h is usually pretty safe. Plus it can cover a square where a knight might want to threaten your kingside. It should usually be a lower priority than your other development, but if you see a back rank mate is possible soon, push the pawn before it happens.

On a side note it seems like my bullet rating is finally trending up. It was totally stagnant for a long stretch of time until I took a bit of a break. I think I'm starting to play more accurately and I'm getting less confused dealing with stuff like the Sicilian. I still blunder a pawn or worse pretty often against some of those modern fiancetto setups, though.

dhamster fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Dec 3, 2021

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I usually go for Caro Kann a lot as Black, or a similar pawn structure like Slav or Semi Slav if they go for a queen's pawn opening. One thing I started doing more after feedback from this thread was moving my white bishop to kingside before advancing my e pawn. Is there any way for me to tell if it's a good idea to instead lock my white bishop away with e6? Here it was the best move, because it turns out that I was leaving my queenside pawns undefended after bishop takes knight, rook takes bishop. The opponent didn't see it either though because we were playing bullet.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

:drat:

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I need to stop playing when I know I'm tired/tilted. I had a really nice run to 1150 today in bullet, then hopped on tonight and slid all the way down back to 1100. I feel like I'm improving, but if I'm not fully engaged I'll miss something like a back rank mate, or forget about a bishop covering a full screen diagonal, or hang a queen. Or have a winning position but run out of time, which stings.

One thing I noticed about these low elo games is: opponents don't hang pieces super often, but they will hang pawns more often than you might think. And it seems like more pieces are left undefended if they are up material: they'll start overextending thinking they can get a quick checkmate. So I've found that even if I mess up and hang a piece, sometimes I can chip away at their pawns, which creates bigger holes in their defense, or helps me get a draw or a passed pawn if I can make it to the endgame.

Per Hand_Knit's comment from Logical Chess about leaving a castled king in his optimum formation I stopped moving a6/h6 unless I really need to. I seem to be getting hit less often by crippling kingside attacks, plus it's a move I could be using getting tempo elsewhere. Sometimes I'm tempted to do it to kick a knight away, though.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

https://lichess.org/fbxBUgkZ/white#18

This is the first time I have ever managed to set up the Greek Gift successfully. This was a really bad situation for black, I think they would have needed to sac a queen to avoid mate here.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

https://lichess.org/ucnw2meL/white#51

Found a use for underpromoting here. Not sure if it was any better than getting the queen, but at least it was funny.

e: I also felt like I had a gameplan here, and I can't usually say that I do. First I tried to set up a Pirc defense since they gave up the center, then I castled queenside so I could throw pawns at their fianchetto'd kingside.

dhamster fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Feb 25, 2022

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Oh no, my Knight!

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I managed to get to 1200 in Bullet for the first time. Last year I had hit a wall in the 1050~1100 range, but now I am getting more confident with my openings and I don't fall for gimmicks as often if they try something like the Stafford. I think what's helped me is looking for pawns that are poorly defended or hanging. Plus I think I'm just not making as many huge blunders (leaving things hanging, etc).

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Is aimchess premium worth it? I thought I was getting somewhere in terms of bullet rating but I've been pretty stagnant around 1150 for awhile now. I'm not really sure what I should be doing to improve, because just playing a lot of games isn't getting me very far lately. It's weird because I had really steady improvement when I was playing rapid rapid, but bullet has just not been working out for me in the same way.

e: Had a good day and I'm back in the low 1200s. Maybe it'll just happen with steady practice. Some lessons about creating passed pawns have been helping me in the endgame.

dhamster fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Apr 10, 2022

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Computer chess tournaments have many games that end in mate, even though each side is doing the top computer move

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Interesting, I did not know that.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

dhamster posted:

Is aimchess premium worth it? I thought I was getting somewhere in terms of bullet rating but I've been pretty stagnant around 1150 for awhile now. I'm not really sure what I should be doing to improve, because just playing a lot of games isn't getting me very far lately. It's weird because I had really steady improvement when I was playing rapid rapid, but bullet has just not been working out for me in the same way.

e: Had a good day and I'm back in the low 1200s. Maybe it'll just happen with steady practice. Some lessons about creating passed pawns have been helping me in the endgame.

Been having a really good couple of days and I'm at an all time high of 1276 1305 in bullet. Not a huge accomplishment but it feels like I'm improving. I've just been trying to study the fundamentals a little bit every day and it's helped me make some better decisions. Plus at this low level, sometime the opponent just entirely shits themself, which is nice (except when it happens to me).

Does anyone know of some solid attacking lines against the caro kann? I started to have a more fun time against the Sicilian when I started to learn the Grand Prix, and although I play caro kann as black all the time, I find myself a little bit aimless playing against it as white.

dhamster fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 13, 2022

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Thanks for the ideas, those both look really interesting. I'll try these out and see what happens. I usually play the exchange instead of the advance but I like how h4 h5 gives an outpost for the black bishop. The bayonet attack looks really venomous as well. Stuff like this keeps me interested in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

https://lichess.org/DVuvDyu5/black#30

White did 1. c4 in this bullet game so I decided to play a Reversed Grand Prix. Sicilian players at my level don't know what the gently caress they're supposed to do against the Grand Prix Attack, so I guess that counts double for English Opening players.

They resigned at the position below, which I thought was premature because I was only up a pawn, but the evaluation put me at -6.

My guess is that it's because my pieces were a lot more active, my rooks/queens were connected, one of his doubled c pawns was very weak, and even though he still had a bishop pair, his fianchetto bishop was walled off from really doing anything. Plus I could probably do Ng4 Qh5 and threaten mate, or at least mess with his queen safety.

Stockfish said I avoided doing any inaccuracies which I thought was neat.

In other news I've kind of been in a slump the past few days with my chess but I'm trying not to sweat it. I made it above 1300 recently so I can probably get back there, though.

dhamster fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Apr 29, 2022