Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

multistability
Feb 15, 2014
My lichess must be broken because it's saying the only correct move is to take the Bishop (playing via the Android app). Idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

multistability
Feb 15, 2014
Oh, whoops, I misinterpreted the discussion ITT then. Actually found the correct solution after a bit of lateral thinking, very interesting puzzle

multistability
Feb 15, 2014
I came across a Hikaru clip the other day where he said something like (paraphrasing) "99% of chess is spotting tactics and you can probably reach somewhere around master level on tactics alone", so that being said does anyone itt have any good (preferably free) resources for training tactics that they wanna share? I understand that puzzles are basically just tactic-spotting exercises but I guess I'm looking for something more explicitly tactic-oriented, broken down into like "100 Fork-Spotting Exercises", "100 Pin...", "100 Skewer..." etc, to really drill into my head that these are the specific patterns and configurations I should be on the lookout for, if that makes sense

multistability
Feb 15, 2014

:tipshat:

multistability
Feb 15, 2014
Update on training chess tactics only and completely neglecting opening theory: this seems to be a decent strategy because I've been on a winning streak recently where in loads of the games I've had a completely losing position out of the opening but I've managed to claw it back in the middle game due to spotting and setting up various tactics my opponent has failed to foresee. Still terrible at endgames though, but I usually end up checkmating the opponent before the game devolves into that sort of nonsense. So yeah, if you're looking for a relatively effective and fun way to pump up your Elo then give obsessively drilling tactics a shot. Lichess puzzles while resting between sets in the gym has been a good one for me recently

multistability
Feb 15, 2014

Huxley posted:

More embarrassment posting: I think this is the game that finally convinced me the, "do not bother with openings until you are X Elo," people are actually right. I love openings and knowing my stuff 10 moves in gives me a lot of confidence. But so many of my games go this way.

https://lichess.org/h0Q0vToUURAQ

Move 10, material is equal and I'm in great shape (computer says +4).

12 moves later material is still equal. All I've done is "Rooks to the center, push pawns in front of their King" and I'm –5 and down 90 seconds in a 3+2.

I blunder a few times from here on just trying not to flag and lose because it's Blitz and that's how it goes. But those 12 middle-game moves where I clearly spent some time thinking about the position and no material was exchanged—just every move was an inaccuracy or a mistake. Like, yes of course that's what needs fixing.

The best thing I did for my Elo was basically abandoning learning opening theory (while telling myself this is not the same as abandoning opening principles - ChessBrah's "Building Habits" series is good for this sort of thing) and using my time to instead learn about tactics and obsessively drilling them via puzzles. In most games (at my Elo anyway) I was basically out of opening prep by like the third or fourth move and it was spotting tactics in the middle game that usually got me the edge and allowed me to eke out wins from completely losing positions etc. I'd highly recommend it to everyone

multistability
Feb 15, 2014
At low Elos absolutely learn openings if you want to understand how to brutally punish an opening mistake three moves deep however the chances you will be able to do this are few and far between and it is the opinion of many, many top chess players that your time is far, far better off spent drilling tactics and trying to understand the basic principles and ideas behind them etc. Your opponent will usually (always) blunder in the middle game which will give you the chance to recognise patterns and pounce but if the cutting edge of your chess prowess is reliant on your opponent making one of a few specific blunders in the early game then you're going to have a disappointing time

Of course if the reason you play chess is because you enjoy learning opening theory then by all means go ahead

multistability
Feb 15, 2014
There's a whole controversy in chess right now where the top grandmasters are saying they want to play chess960 or fisher random or whatever the gently caress you call it at classical time control because they're tired of having to memorise opening theory until say move 20 until they get out of preparation and finally start playing real chess and searching for tactics n poo poo. Now, I'm not sure how valid that is, but chess players seem to find more value in actually finding good chess moves in novel positions rather than working out if their memory is better than their opponents'. And those tactics clearly have more value at quicker time controls than classical. Something to think about I guess

multistability
Feb 15, 2014
Magnus purposely plays sub-par openings to get prodigies out of prep ASAP and gently caress them up tactically when he can

multistability
Feb 15, 2014
That alireza checkmate during the time scramble was bruuutal. Poor Gukesh

multistability
Feb 15, 2014
Judit Polgar owns, she should do commentary on every chess tournament

multistability
Feb 15, 2014

Huxley posted:

Did you just see her in the spot where black was threatening a King/Rook fork on f2 and Hess was like, "All your moves preventing Nf2 are tough to swallow, let's just turn on the computer and see what it thinks ... oh WOW that is such an insane, inhuman thing to play!"

And Judit was like, "oh it's obviously f4 letting them have the fork [next six moves in the line that ends up with white just fine]." And both the other commentators were jaws on the floor at her. Like, she showed the extent to which she's "discussing different options" just for the sake of putting on a good show.

That's what inspired me to make that post lmao. What a legend

multistability
Feb 15, 2014

silvergoose posted:

If you get a link to that moment I'd love to see it

https://m.twitch.tv/clip/PiliablePiliableWombatTheThing-WHmA30KNJJIAVUnH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

multistability
Feb 15, 2014

khazar sansculotte posted:

If you're looking for fireworks, and don't mind getting crushed a lot when you're first getting the hang of them, I'd say KID and/or Grunfeld. Both are theory dense at master level and above, but can be played perfectly well at beginner/casual level just knowing basic/thematic ideas, and both are good for building "chess iq." The KID usually leads to closed middle game positions and will land you in a lot of situations where the best move is a weird one, so if you dutifully analyze your mistakes you can really sharpen your instincts for positional play. The Grunfeld, on the other hand, tends to open the board quickly and can get super tactical once it does.

I was under the impression that beginners/amateurs in general were highly advised to stay away from the Grunfeld because giving White a big centre is usually a disaster when they don't really know what they're doing. Does it not violate a load of basic opening principles that are far more important to internalise at that level?