Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oh god oh fuck
Dec 22, 2019

Chess kinda has the reputation that if you wanna get into it you gotta get REALLY into it. Reading books and just constantly dedicating yourself to getting better. But imo as long as you have competition at your level and you like it there then that can be the extent of it. Approach it like call of duty or whatever and have a chill game once a night if that's what you're happiest with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh god oh fuck
Dec 22, 2019

It's cool how complex it can be and how much time you can study it without it being solved. But also it's just a fun game! Have a little brain battle with someone.

EDIT: I guess it's worth noting a major barrier for me was thinking that everyone online are people who were way better than me and took it super seriously. But I found pretty quickly on lichess that the skill range is super wide so it's not too hard to find people to play with that are beginners that drop their pieces just like you. I think their matchmaking system is really great at keeping you around healthy but not super hard competition.

oh god oh fuck fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Nov 28, 2021

oh god oh fuck
Dec 22, 2019

Chess is one of those games where unfortunately the computer knows how to do everything perfectly and can tell you exactly what you did wrong. Suboptimal play is normal for any game you play casually but a robot doesn't pop up after your Halo match to tell you every way you hosed up. Go in with the knowledge that engines rate you at a level you won't hit without basically making it a side job.

oh god oh fuck
Dec 22, 2019

Butlerian jihad but just for chess computers