Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Sic transit gloria. Maybe we'll meet again someday, when the fighting stops.
i'd think it is 1 minute with 1 second increment per move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

i know what you mean, but i'd be interested in knowing if you still think that in 11 more draws time

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

I'm a worse player than you, but just following the best moves at each of the big eval jumps shows why they were bad. h3 means black, who hasn't castled yet, is free to push their h and g pawns, and then has a knight, queen, and rook ready to take advantage of your weakened kingside. Talking Re1 in lieu of another move means you don't give your bishop any escape squares and you're eventually forced to sac it too.

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

cheetah7071 posted:

I feel like you could build a machine learning model that estimates how many centipawns the average player of a certain rating will lose over the next few turns. It wouldn't be too different from the bots that attempt to mimic human play, I don't think. How accurate they'd be is another question, though.

D34THROW posted:

The lichess bot seems to do a good job, right down to blundering its way into a loss like I do sometimes.

You might be talking about these already, but Maia Bots are neural network-powered(!!!) bots designed to choose the same move a human player would at various levels (Maia1 = 1100, Maia5 = 1500, Maia9 = 1900) and are a good alternative imho to the standard lichess bots. I think they play in a fairly human fashion although with less variety and they are less prone than lichess bots to make massive, massive blunders which can feel like the bot is throwing the game.

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

i am bad at chess but an evening spent playing on tilt has made me think i'm absolute dogshit

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

I saw a thread once that says the 'cheat detected' triggers if the player has a lichess analysis board up in another window of their browser but it is not so sophisticated as to check they were mirroring the current game.

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Helianthus Annuus posted:

If there are any other amateur weight-lifters in the chess thread, check this out:

Losing 6 blitz games in a row is a great way to get really pissed off so you can bang out several difficult reps!

Sometimes I just wish I could anchor my rating two or three hundred points below where it is now so I wouldn't have to face the inevitable stream of losses when I fly too close to the sun.

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

fisting by many posted:

I was referring to the Sunday puzzle

The first move seems obvious, grab the hanging piece, but it's impossible to see the continuation from there because the continuation is black making consecutive blunders and throwing the game.

So I'm staring at this puzzle like "Ok white seems to be winning here but... what happens next... what's the trick... how is this a sunday puzzle :confused: "

i think the point there is to find the best move in the position, not necessarily find the complete continuation. the moves are taken from a real game, so while, yes, black blunders mate, if white doesn't find the right second move the game reaches equality and then the continuation to mate (in the actual game black resigned after white's second move)

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Ah, awesome to know this category exists. I always thought it was strange that lichess puzzles only ever have you on the eventually winning side but it must be just as helpful to spot a tactic that prevents losing. Also gently caress chess, I keep making the same mistakes in my games and have plateauer although my tactics score is ever increasing

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

John Bartholemew also has a 'Climbing the Rating Ladder' series and I think he instructs well. He has been described as having "strong youth pastor energy", which is spot on, but I like him and find the videos easy to watch. Similar to Naroditsky in my opinion, but from a slightly lower level.

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Maybe sign up for aimchess's free monthly analysis? My opinion is paying for analysis at a level under... Not sure what exactly, maybe strong club player/~1800 chess.com rating? is not worth it because your weaknesses will be too numerous and basic things that don't require much analysis. Learn an opening you're comfortable with, check your king safety, look for hanging pieces, that kind of thing. Interested to hear what others think though.

poonchasta posted:

Is it worth it to upgrade to diamond...

[edit] the main point being there are plenty of free resources that are more useful at this stage

Esposito fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Apr 17, 2022

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

i never ask for rematches and almost always reject rematches for purely psychological reasons. i know there's no reason to assume any particular motivation behind my opponent's request but i always assume the worst, picturing either some vengeful, bitter opponent or some smug gently caress confident of another win against me. it's just easier to dodge the pschological minefield i've laid for myself and take a fresh, random opponent.

Redmark posted:

I wonder how much psychology matters in classical chess because online it's gotta be a huge factor. I've found that if I beat a significantly higher rated player and they slam rematch immediately I should take it because it's likely to be easy wins for several games in a row (and free cheating accusations) :hmmyes:

Since I don't want to be on the wrong end of that I pretty much never click the rematch button.

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

fisting by many posted:

I'd spend too much time thinking in unfamiliar spots which was every spot.
I flag a lot in games shorter than 5+3 and partly I blame playing with a trackpad, it's just hard to drag the pieces accurately fast enough, but part of it is definitely spending my time unwisely. Especially at the level I'm at, acting quickly is often as important as finding the best - or sometimes even a good - move. sure, i'll often get punished for rushing and blundering but by and large I perform better and have more time when it counts of I push myself to hurry a bit

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

It would be great to see Magnus chasing a title rather than defending one

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

[edit] looking at the analysis is it right that black can 'just' be down the exchange if the c rook doesn't join in the defence?

The game ended with 1.Rd7 Rb8 2.Rxf7 Rxf7 3.Rd3 Rbf8 4.Rd7 g6 5.Rxa7 Kg7 6.Rxf7 Rxf7 7.h4

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Huxley posted:

Hey! I beat someone before I sunk below 1k. Not an awful start.

https://lichess.org/YRr7ea7Y/white

The sequence starting at 14...d5 with the pawn fork is sweet. Once youve been ranked to the right level, playing on chess.com or lichess is pretty satisfying, with equal share idiocy and brilliance (normally also idiocy but your opponent cant find the refutation). Good luck!

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

I know that the laws of chess dictate what goes up must come down, but in the last month I've increased my blitz (exclusively 5+3) rating on lichess from 1480 to 1630. Not sure what has changed, maybe opponents are more likely to be drunk as Christmas approaches, but I'm loving these heady heights. I suspect part of it has been playing more bullet (exclusively 2+1) and reducing the number of matches I lose on time. However, in both time controls I was stable at around 1450/950 and then just since the start of November I've gained ~200 points in each. Can a 200 point gain be put down to a lucky run of opponents? Have I unlocked the unused 90% of my brain and I'm on my way to becoming the next world champion? What's the deal?

Esposito fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Dec 15, 2022

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

You mean you could have just taken their queen? This is my kind of chess. It's amazing how often I fail to consider I can just take a piece and instead try to come up with plans to defend. I think this is true in a broader sense, I often get caught considering how to defend against my opponent's threats and neglect my own attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

chess boxing is the future of chess, i think every serious chess player knows this