Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
The Stafford gambit remains the most fun opening, although I think most people have watched the same Eric Rosen videos I have and know how to stop it. But it's real fun when they haven't. Multiple moves assaulting the hapless f2 square and repeatedly double-checking the King into oblivion.

1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nf6 3. Nxe5 Nc6 4. Nxc6 dxc6 5. Nc3 Bc5 6. Bc4 Ng4 7. O-O Qh4 8. h3 Nxf2 9. Qf3 Nxh3++ 10. Kh1 Nf2++ 11. Kg1 Qh1#

Unfortunately it falls apart pretty quick to 6. h3 and 7. Qf3. I also haven't found a good response to 5. e5 followed by 6. d4. The only response that's ever worked for me requires my opponent to blunder into a lost exchange with 5. e5 Ne4 6. d4 Qa5 7. g3? Nxg3, where 8. hxg3 loses immediately to Qxh1 and 8. fxg3 loses to Qe4+ 9. Qe2 Qxh1. But that's also easily defended by Qe2, Qf3, and Be3 which are all pretty natural moves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

I just had a great bullet game where I absolutely missed the critical line that would’ve led to a crushing victory. I ended up getting a break later and pawn storming my way to a win, but it’s a great position to evaluate.

1. e4 e5 2. Nc3 Nf6. 3. f4 d5 4. fxe5 Nxe4 5. Nxe4 dxe4 6. Bc4? (much better is d4) Nf6 7. d3 Nxe4 8. Bb3?

In most games I am way too passive and don’t capitalize on opportunities to start an attack. I would often play something like Bf5 to protect the pawn. But after quickly debating between Qh4+ and Bg4+ (turns out it doesn’t matter much), I went with 8. …Bg4+

9. Nd2 Qh4+ 10. g3 Nf3+ 11. Kf2 Bc5+ 12. d4

So I have a very small material advantage, but White’s King is being assaulted by active pieces. However my Queen and Bishop are hanging and if I let White’s Queen become active, I can piss away the whole advantage.

Black has one move that wins, and a couple of moves that at least keep a small advantage. Everything else loses for Black.

12. …Qf6, threatening the discovered check. Basically anything White does eventually forces the pinned Knight to move Nf4, losing the Queen to Bd1. If White tries to preserve the Queen with say 13. dxc5 Nd2+ 14. Kg1 e3! threatens mate on f2. There are a ton of other variations but all of them are bad for White.

12. …Bxd4 is also ok as it leaves Black up a pawn and White’s pawn structure in shambles. 12. …Qe7 apparently also works according to Stockfish but I don’t really see why.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

Has any tournament tried weighting draws? Like 2/3 of a point for a Black draw and 1/3 for a White draw?

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

oh no computer posted:

I've started doing puzzle rush recently, and man do they really love the pattern where the enemy king is on B8/G8 behind two pawns and you have a queen and a rook lined up on C7/F7. I get about 6 of those per rush.

The best mating pattern is Philidor’s mate with a Queen on the long diagonal and a Knight on g5/c4. Knight check, then double check, then a Queen sacrifice, and then a smothered mate.

I’ve seen it in a thousand puzzles and will never see it in a real game.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

Today I hit 1000 in my 2|1 bullet rating!!

I then tilted and lost 5 in a row to drop down to 930. The last one I missed a forced mate and blundered into my own forced mate. Feels bad man.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

Chamale posted:

Here's a nice situation I found myself in. There's only one winning move for Black, and I played it.

My best guess is Bg7. Attack the Queen, defend against mate, keeps a line free for our own Queen to escape.

Aggro fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Oct 14, 2022

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

Yep, great example of that sometimes the best defense is a little offense.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

Once you take the bishop, Rf4 sets up a nearly unavailable mate on the h file because the Queen is too far away to help defend. The only move that saves the game is pretty unintuitive.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

1. …Rxf2+ 2. Kxf2 Ng4+! and now no matter where the King moves, there’s a royal fork. I initially thought that Ne4+ would work but then the king can escape with Kg2.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

Hand Knit posted:

Was happy for the computer to validate what I played here as the best line, though black is winning anyway

I get as far as 1. …Ne4 2. Be1 Bf4+ before I lose the plan. My goal is to break the pin on the pawn and play bxa3 and then bring my Rooks onto the open file. But once I realized that Be1 isn’t forced, the plan goes to poo poo.

I did see one line that proceeds with 3. Kd1 bxa3! 4. Bxa5?? a2

Aggro fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jul 12, 2023

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

Its a Rolex posted:

I ran into a chess.com puzzle this morning that I didn't understand the solution, and I'd like to get some input for something to think about

Black to move

Solution and my thoughts:

1. ... Qxe2, that's it

The follow-up move from white is Bxe2, which puts both sides at parity for material but the engine has the advantage at -3 in Black's favor.

I don't really understand this position well enough to see why this is so advantageous for Black. Best guess I have is that Black pushes the A pawn with the rook behind it and promotes.

That looks like what the engine suggests, but I'm curious how I should be looking at this position and coming to that conclusion. I recently hit 1900 in puzzles and the tactics seem to be getting a little more abstract, which I welcome, it's just harder to think about.

Yea, you got it. Once the White Queen is off the board, there’s nothing White can do to stop the a-file promotion. The White Rook has to go to a1, and Black has a dark squared Bishop aimed right at it.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

My issue with moves like that is that I spend way too much trying to reason if it’s better to exchange and then skewer, or pin the Knight and try to win it outright. Either way I’d have an advantage…which is pissed away by taking too much time.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

When you have a massive material advantage, the best defense is probably more offense and/or simplification. I only see one move for Black that accomplishes that.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

It ends up being a trade of two rooks for a Queen, a knight, and a pawn. And Black’s king is exposed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

I am once again asking

That when people post puzzle, they include a lichess link

FEN 3R4/6bk/p5pp/1p5q/2n2P1N/6B1/r5PK/3Q4 w

Aggro fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Apr 28, 2024