Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

I just stepped on the biggest rake of all time. I'd played God's own chess game up to the very last move:

He walked the pawn up like "take me"

And I so kindly obliged, making the move in about four seconds. I've improved so much over the last couple of weeks! That chess tactics website was unbelievably helpful. At least this one yard line fumble was funny.

I think the main thing to note is that it would’ve cost you practically nothing to play h3 and give yourself a way out, your opponent has absolutely nothing going for them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

neaden posted:

Sure, a company that just bought Magnus' chess app would never do something to make their cash cow happy, private companies always act in the interest of justice and fairness. I'm sure chess.com has secret proof that Hans cheated on an OTB tournament they didn't run but just won't reveal it.

Somehow, out of everyone in this thread, you come across as the conspiracy theorist

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
https://twitter.com/MetroUK/status/1569983251912998913

I see the reporting over the incident is completely normal

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

former glory posted:

They didn't even stop for a second to think about how preposterous the anal bead form factor is for housing a microcontroller and wireless module when a plug just makes perfect sense. And the plug stays in place for the rhythmic contraction input.

Chess and teledildonics, together at last!

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Vice has published an article on one of Hans' coaches getting caught cheating a couple of times on Chess.com

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Morrow posted:

Look, I've commented this before, but chess.com is absolutely not a reliable source for any data or conclusions here. There is no independent audit and they have a financial incentive to bolster the reputation of Magnus Carlsen, who is Hans's chief accuser and whom they recently entered into a major partnership with.

Everything they say can be true, but 1) they're also incentivized to omit evidence to the contrary, such as when Hans was cleared of cheating by their systems and 2) they have no business analyzing OTB games. You also don't know that everything they're saying is true.

I don't know chess as well as I know money, which is why I just lurk, but the money speaks for itself.

WSJ posted:

The report also addresses the relationship during the saga between Carlsen and Chess.com, which is buying Carlsen’s “Play Magnus” app for nearly $83 million. The report says that while Carlsen’s actions at the Sinquefield Cup prompted them to reassess Niemann’s behavior, Carlsen “didn’t talk with, ask for, or directly influence Chess.com’s decisions at all.” Rensch had previously said that Chess.com had never shared a list of cheaters or the platform’s cheat detection algorithm with Carlsen.

If they're lying about this then it probably tanks their entire business. Put the tinfoil down.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Salt Fish posted:

Who is better?

Unless I'm missing something it's white by a long shot, though the size of the lead depends on who is next to move.

If it's white to move, you win the game immediately with 1. Qxc2 Rxc2 2. d7. If it's black to move, I don't see how you prevent white from playing Rxb6 and eventually getting the pawn promoted with that rook

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Yeah alternatively black can still win the a pawn there with 1…Kc7 2. Na5 Rxa4

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Yeah people were flagging up about Harvey Weinstein at the turn of the millennium. With libel how it is, it's easy for an open secret to stay that way and not actually become public knowledge or have any real consequences

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

tanglewood1420 posted:

So will this match just confirm that Nepo is clearly ahead of everyone else when it comes to classical, but still has no chance of beating Magnus in a match?

Pretty much, yeah

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

The Lemondrop Dandy posted:

I picked a wild year to start paying attention to chess! I never knew it could be this intense.

You got lucky, normally it's 14 draws and Magnus wins in tiebreakers

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

fart simpson posted:

hope ding pulls out the draw here

He probably just punted it

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Hans Niemann has had his lawsuit thrown out

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
FIDE and top male GMs have long held that men are inherently better at chess than women. This decision isn't surprising, it's just them saying the quiet part out loud

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Mikojan posted:

Hey, I'm getting into chess after not playing since I was like 7.

I have an account on lichess and chess.com, what is the standard format for laddering and getting them juicy elo points? 10 minute games?

There isn't really a standard format, they're all populated enough that you should just play the one you wanna play

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
lets go Max baby love da Max

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Salt Fish posted:

Feature request: online chess and puzzles should have an indicator for castling rights:

In this image white has played Rg1, Rh1 and lost rights on the kingside.

It's a cool idea but realistically it just doesn't come up

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
How to behave like a Chess Grandma

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
drat, that really is a good one.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Olothreutes posted:

I know I'm reading this wrong, but oh boy does it look like black has two light square bishops to white's two dark square bishops. Which I guess is possible via promotion but what a weird rear end situation to invent.

e: The more I look at it the more convinced I am that I'm not wrong, it is some bizarro world promotion situation.

You're not wrong that's exactly what's happening here

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

fart simpson posted:

is hikaru going to win the superbowl?

he probably need to beat nepo on Saturday to do so, so no

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
With 5 seconds on the clock I'm playing e7 like you did, with more time I probably end up playing Be4 with a view to playing d6 and opening up everything on the left-hand side of the board

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
It also helps that Qf3/Qh5 isn't really a very good opening move, so if you don't fall for scholar's mate you're laughing