Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

nepo’s gonna win

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Teddybear posted:

Every time that Carlsen puts the title up, I say "boy, this is the time I get really into chess and give it a go," and then I never actually end up doing it. This time... maybe.

it might be a bit late to start training to challenge for the title, at your age

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Spokes posted:

i've played way too much bullet without focusing on improvement lol

same.

i studied some stuff and went from 1200 to 1500 in lichess bullet and sorta stopped there

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

magnus looks shook

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Hand Knit posted:

This is a really rich position. What I imagine is up is that Carlsen intuitively feels like he should be solidly better, but needs to find a way to navigate through the surprisingly many tactical resources Nepomniachtchi has.

i was surprised how long he spent a couple moves back thinking about kg1, iirc there were only 3 legal moves and 2 of them were obviously bad

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

do it magnus. trade the queen for the rooks.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Hand Knit posted:

You mean Nepo playing Kg7? It's a hard move to play because your rooks are still passive so it really feels like you should be doing more.

Also the two rooks for a queen is exciting. We just might get a result this game.

i mean when nepo went qb7+, magnus took like 5 minutes to move his king to g1

and yes, i have high hopes for a real result today too

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Hand Knit posted:

oh yaeh, that. Sometimes you just need to double check a couple of concrete lines. Even if you're always playing Kg1 you think about what comes next.

yeah that's what i was thinking, but he's running into potential time trouble here

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

fart simpson posted:

nepo’s gonna win

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Hand Knit posted:

e5 is a very playing for a win move

qd5 isnt though

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

D34THROW posted:

What the hell was Ra2 there?

Nepo's gotta win on time here.

EDIT: Nc5 to put pressure on the queen :vince: Nepo just blew it, didn't he?

you dont actually win on time in a game like this. the opportunity was when magnus made a mistake with rd1 when he was running low on time, he was never going to actually flag

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Zteuer posted:

That was really intense.

yeah that was awesome to watch

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

VictualSquid posted:

Yes, exactly that makes it funny. Stockfish thinks it is more drawish/equal then even a normal championship game. All humans love it as a tense game.

maybe stockfish saw a potential perpetual check down the line or something

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Redmark posted:

Is there any data on the most common openings by rating? I'm around 1650 Blitz on lichess and I feel like there's some strange opponent behavior going on.
When I have the black pieces, most games start 1. e4 and the opponent often blitzes out a bunch of moves which I presume are theory and takes an advantage out of the opening.
But when I'm white, a lot of games go like 1. d4 d5 2. c4 dxc4 3. e4 and then the opponent starts spending time thinking (sometimes straight up blundering right after).

Does 1. d4 not get played very often at this level?

https://giant.gfycat.com/AbsoluteRadiantFattaileddunnart.mp4

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

this is sad to watch now. game 6 broke nepos brain

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Dias posted:

Nepo never recovered from losing game 6, it's gotta be frustrating playing against someone that just draws if you play safe and exploits any little weakness you might create trying to win instead.

yeah it’s kinda sad to see

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Aggro posted:

The Stafford gambit remains the most fun opening, although I think most people have watched the same Eric Rosen videos I have and know how to stop it. But it's real fun when they haven't. Multiple moves assaulting the hapless f2 square and repeatedly double-checking the King into oblivion.

1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nf6 3. Nxe5 Nc6 4. Nxc6 dxc6 5. Nc3 Bc5 6. Bc4 Ng4 7. O-O Qh4 8. h3 Nxf2 9. Qf3 Nxh3++ 10. Kh1 Nf2++ 11. Kg1 Qh1#

Unfortunately it falls apart pretty quick to 6. h3 and 7. Qf3. I also haven't found a good response to 5. e5 followed by 6. d4. The only response that's ever worked for me requires my opponent to blunder into a lost exchange with 5. e5 Ne4 6. d4 Qa5 7. g3? Nxg3, where 8. hxg3 loses immediately to Qxh1 and 8. fxg3 loses to Qe4+ 9. Qe2 Qxh1. But that's also easily defended by Qe2, Qf3, and Be3 which are all pretty natural moves.

sorry but the actual most fun opening is the traxler counter gambit.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Hand Knit posted:

So the central broad idea here is that, apparently, black's queen needs to stay in position to check from behind. Nepo lost that when he played Qe6. As for why Qc2 or Qb1 specifically, I would guess that (1) it spots white's rook, preventing white from playing the immediate Nh5, and (2) against Kg4 black preserves the option of Qd1+ (and I guess you then meet Kg5 with Qg1 or Kh4 with Qe1, idea being you keep the knight stuck back on g3).

But, you know, lol to working that all out over the board in real time, let alone during time trouble.

yeah. i saw ben finegold analyzing it and his take was the reason those two moves work is because the queen ultimately needs to land on d1 without the knight having moved first. d1 semi cuts the king off from running up the board the way it wants to, and black will be able to pin the knight. the king won't be able to make progress up the board without losing the knight and so white will be forced into a repetition eventually

actually watching some grandmaster analysis of this game 6 kinda opened me up a bit more to the idea that there's more than 1 type of "equal" in a game. like, after the initial time scramble around move 40 in game 6, the game was mostly "equal" according to the engine but that really meant that white had potential winning chances but black had ways to force a draw with perfect play. the players weren't actually in an even balance of power as i normally would have thought of it. so it's kinda cool to think of it that way, that "both players have equal winning chances" or "neither player has a chance to win" or "one player is 'winning' but there's a trick for the other player to force a draw" are 3 entirely different types of "equal"

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Spokes posted:

weird way to spell halloween gambit

fun fact: this is also my most common opening as white. so i agree it owns.

e: i have 451 halloween gambit games played as white on lichess and ive won 61% of them

and i apparently only have 59 traxlers as black, of which i've won 56%

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Dec 14, 2021

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i have some halloween gambit lines memorized up to 10+ moves. this one is my absolute favorite opening which i sadly have only landed a single digit number of times:

1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Nc3 Nf6 4. Nxe5 Nxe5 5. d4 Nc6 6. d5 Ne5 7. f4 Ng6 8. e5 Ng8 9. d6 cxd6 10. exd6 Qf6 11. Nb5 Kd8 12. Be3 a6 13. Bb6+

which leads to this wonderful position

black will be forced to shuffle his king back and forth between his two remaining squares while white is free to just really rub his nose in it, taking the rook, a pawn, and the queen with checks on every move until going in for the kill with the white queen

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Redmark posted:

IMO if you blunder and you don't quickly see the problem when the engine points it out it wasn't a real blunder for your current rating.
On the other hand one thing that actually does feel uniquely frustrating about chess compared to other games is how crushing small errors can be. If you're dominating a game of soccer or tennis or Starcraft there's no equivalent to miscalculating one square and hanging a queen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KSV1_FCmOI

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Dec 20, 2021

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

feelin pretty good right now.

i joined one of the lichess 1+0 bullet tournaments for <2000 rated players. ive been right around 1500 for a few months. won the first 2 games against people about 200 points above me, and then got a winning position against a 1900 and lost on time (he only had 0.7 seconds left on the clock too)

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Salt Fish posted:

Here is a fun paper by tom7, the guy that did the bad chess algorithms youtube video. He calculates the longest possible game of chess as having 17,697 moves according to FIDE rules. It presents the oddities of FIDE rules, and weird corner cases. For example, did you know that this is officially a drawn position due to insufficient material?

How about this one?

http://tom7.org/chess/longest.pdf

both of those should be counted as drawn positions though

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

man i dont think ive ever made any money from chess. congrats dude.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Baronash posted:

How do you improve your ability to recognize mating patterns and good moves in actual games? I've gone through (twice, in some cases) the mating patterns, tactics, and endgame examples on Lichess. I average about 30-40 puzzles a day, review tactics and positions from books, and have tried to work in some YT content on chess tactics and strategy.

But in actual games, at least when I'm not getting crushed, I'm ending up in positions like this:

And just completely blowing it. Instead of the obvious mate in 2, I went Rf1 to get his queen. I ended up missing a forced checkmate 3 more times before finally blundering my queen and losing.

In a puzzle, I know there is a great move buried somewhere, so I'll spend as long as I need to find it. In a game though, even on long time controls I'm never sure if a position warrants more evaluation. Are there any shortcuts you use that'll make you think "hold on, I think there might be something here"?

what was the time control? in blitz/bullet it's more about developing an intuition for it i think. in time controls where you can actually slow down and think more, something like this mate in 2 you can just kinda brute force by looking at all the checks or forcing moves you have, every move, and calculating them out 1 or 2 moves ahead to see if they lead anywhere

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

and by developing an intuition, i kinda mean you have to learn the basic checkmate patterns, and as you play attacking moves you can be eyeballing the opponent's king and counting how many escape squares he currently has if he theoretically was in check right now, and then you see if you can cut them off and go in for the kill.

like in this bullet game i had the other day, i hadnt fully calculated it out but i had a good feeling that if i sac my bishop by taking the pawn on b5, then i would be able to take back with my knight with check, and then my 2 rooks plus knight with the king kinda wide open like that against only a bishop and bad rook might be enough to hunt around for a checkmate since the king would be pretty trapped in without many escape squares:

and it worked out, the rest of the game went like this
14. Bxb5 cxb5
15. Nxb5+ Kb7
16. Rd8 h6
17. Nd6+ Kc7
18. Ne8+ Kc6
19. R1d6+ Kc5
20. Rd5+ Kc6
21. R8d6+ Kb7
22. Rb5# { White wins by checkmate. } 1-0

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

a big thing that helped me start seeing checkmates on the board was realizing that if you attack a king, the two squares kinda diagonal and back from the king are often key escape squares:

and those escape squares are cut off, the kind might be particularly vulnerable to a mating threat. this can be because the king is pushed up against the edge of the board, or it can be because you used something like a rook to cut off a file or a bishop to cut off a diagonal, or often it's just because his own pieces are in the way:

if i see something like those two kings on the board, i'm instantly on the lookout for a quick mate

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jan 7, 2022

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

now THIS is a win. eastern bullet arena ftw!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

silvergoose posted:

Two pawns (after the king moves, you get another) and end up with a passed pawn.

which is why black's best move is to block with the rook instead of moving the king. but it's a lost endgame anyway

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i finally did it.

2000 puzzle rating baby. now to stop doing puzzles forever

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

in the middle of a correspondence game and i worked out a line that seemed to guarantee that i'd win a pawn within 5 moves because of some tactics. almost played the first move to enter the line and did my final check to make sure everythings ok, and noticed atthe end of the whole thing he had a discovered attack that would have won my queen. lol, thats why you always keep thinking

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Dias posted:

Hey, I just played this wild-rear end game on lichess as Black in the Caro-Kann and I kinda wanna know if this weird-rear end position is a thing in the Exchange variation:

https://lichess.org/iyzoLnVY/black#13

I had a feeling I wasn't losing despite hanging a rook because the knight was kinda trapped and they didn't have the right to castle (although I misplayed there), but I was still down a bunch of material. If I can be sneaky that seems like a cool way to steal some wins as black. Saw a mate-in-three that was a blunder but they blundered into mate-in-two because that's the beauty of sub-1000 Elo chess.

idk the answer to your question but for a second i thought i might have been white, because 10 minutes ago i played a wild rear end bullet game as white against a caro kann

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

lol if you deny yourself the pure pleasure of bullet chess

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

made it 24 moves in before i had to move anything other than my g pawn

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

speaking of puzzles, after getting to 2000 puzzle rating on lichess i decided to start playing some correspondence games that would give me real time to analyze each move almost as if it were a puzzle. and one of the games i just had this really great tactical sequence that is probably the most complicated sequence i've ever played on the board. despite the imbalance and all the trades, i think when the dust settled we're actually pretty even as i couldn't find a good way to press for a clear advantage

i'm white:

quote:

10. O-O-O Bg4
11. Qe3 Nbd5
12. Nxd5 Nxd5
13. Qe4 f5
14. Qe5 Nxf4
15. f3 Ng6
16. Qe2 Bh5
17. g4 fxg4
18. fxg4 Qd5
19. gxh5 Nf4
20. Qe5 Qxh1
21. Nd6+ Kd7
22. Bh3+ Nxh3
23. Rxh1 exd6
24. Qf5+ Kc7
25. Qxh3 Be7

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

now this is what i call a lead in development:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Hand Knit posted:

Active placement of the rooks somewhat undone by the fact that they're looking in the wrong direction.

it’s cool i won the queen a couple moves later

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Hand Knit posted:

This is a learnable pattern, something that’s easy to find when you’re told there’s a solution but very few people would find it in a game.

yeah i doubt i would find that in a game but when told there is a solution, i found it pretty quickly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

jesus WEP posted:

think i met my first cheater, but hesitant to report them in case it’s just me being overly suspicious. anyone know what i should be looking for?

well step one would be turning on your monitor