Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
(skipping over 1000 humiliating games) have a look at this game from tonight.

code:
1. e4 1... Nf6 2. e5 2... Ng8 3. d4 3... Nc6 4. Nf3 4... d6 5. Nc3 5... dxe5 6. d5 6... Nb4 7. a3 7... Na6 8. Bxa6 8... bxa6 9. Nxe5 9... Bf5 10. Bf4 10... Nf6 11. g4 11... Bc8 12. g5 12... Nd7 13. Nc6 13... e5 14. Nxd8 14... exf4 15. Nc6 15... Nb8 16. Qe2+ 16... Be7 17. Qxe7# 1-0
check out move 13 for a funny queen trap!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
thanks for helping us get better at chess, Hand Knit.

from now on, i will consider Bxh7+ when my bishop's on d3 and their knight's on e7

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
magnus (under time pressure) made a big mistake with 36. Rc2, which allows Bxb4.

But Ian let him off the hook and played Qd5 instead!

Did he just miss it? For a moment, it looked like it wasnt gonna be a draw.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
(as of move 132) this endgame is shaping up really badly for Ian! i don't think he can stop white's pawns

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
so when did it all go wrong for black?

After looking at what the computer thinks, it looks like the wheels came off when black played 72... Ba7 instead of Ba5, Bc7, or Bd8. Ba7 let white push the bishop around with the rooks. Eventually, white gets two pawns and the bishop for white's spare rook, leaving black with just the king and queen to try and stop white's connected passed pawns (computer can do it, but very hard for a human).

It was still a draw according to the tablebases, but seems really hard for a human to find moves for black. On move 130, black needed to hit white's rook on f5 with his queen. The tablebases say Qb1 or Qc2 are the ONLY drawing moves, and everything else loses. I'm sure the draw is long and insane -- even stockfish cant see how to draw it without consulting the tablebases (it thinks the Qb1 or Qc1 are +1.0 for white, and it wants to play Qa1 instead, which is losing).

Anyway, he hit the rook from the other side with 130... Qe6, and it seems like the problem must be that now the queen can't get behind white's pieces anymore, and the pawns are unstoppable, with or without help from the tablebases.

Helianthus Annuus fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Dec 3, 2021

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Maugrim posted:

No, the Ruy was what everyone played at my school too. I was surprised to find when I started actually studying chess this year that it's considered a sharp and highly theoretical line.

same, i started playing the Italian game for a long time, because i associated the Spanish game with beginners. Now, I don't take myself so seriously anymore, and I gladly play the Spanish.

I think the Spanish game is popular with beginners because it's easy for black to goof up and drop the pawn on e5. And thats a more straightforward way to win than just having a good bishop on c4.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
just now catching up on game 8..... (duke nukem voice) What a mess.

Where did it all go wrong for black in game 8?

my guess: what was black's king doing on f8 in the first place? that's not a good square! he had to do 10... Qe7 instead of 10... Ke8, even if it means trading queens and making a draw.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Hand Knit posted:

The K is on f8 because he couldn't castle, and he couldn't castle kingside because he played h5. While he was okay(ish) until b5, I think h5 is where it starts to go wrong for black. He basically never manages to fix his rook or even properly finish development.

but if he had done 10... Qe7 instead of Kf8, then he could have castled queenside! or even just march the king up the board when the queens get traded off!

9... h5 doesn't look as bad to me as 10... Kf8 does. But 9... Be6 probably would have been more solid.

Doctor Malaver posted:

He couldn't castle not because of h5 but because of the previous move. He had opened himself to Qh5, a double threat to h7 and the center pawn.

mm.. yeah, maybe by the time he played 9... h5, he had already decided he wasn't gonna be able to castle kingside? Would like to have seen opposite side castling in this game!

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
i'm moving slow and playing bad in 5+0 anonymous blitz on lichess, finishing most of my games with a busted position and no time on the clock.

it was pissing me off, so i thought "if im gonna play bad anyway, maybe i can at least train myself to play fast?"

but i'm winning most of my games (both on the board and on the clock) when playing 3+0. that surprised me! i must be facing weaker opponents at this time control? why might that be -- is it simply because 5+0 is more popular?

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
i used web search to try figuring out which time controls are most popular. i found this graph which is the Number of Hours played in each time control.

I thought it might be interesting for the thread to look at! https://lichess.org/forum/lichess-feedback/lichess-time-controls-popularity-using-hours-graph

There's also an older graph here, which counts number of games https://lichess.org/forum/lichess-feedback/lichess-time-control-popularity-graphs

TL;DR: 5+0 and 3+0 enjoy similar popularity, with more slightly games played in 3+0, and slightly more time spent on 5+0.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Helianthus Annuus posted:

but i'm winning most of my games (both on the board and on the clock) when playing 3+0

UPDATE: this winning trend has not continued lol

But, I think I prefer 3+0, because my opponents are making more mistakes under time pressure. Its more fun to find and punish those goofs than it is to be the one getting punished all the time

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

this reminds me of a position i had earlier today, where i got pissed off and resigned because i thought it was mate in 2, and the opponents queen (checking me) was just hanging lmao

i laughed at the paper, thanks

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
"endgame" came up today, outside a chess context (but maybe lots of other games have endgames too)

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Baronash posted:

Are there any shortcuts you use that'll make you think "hold on, I think there might be something here"?

Make sure to look at all possible checks! If you do that in this position, you would have to evaluate these moves:

Qe1+ (loses the queen)
Rxh2+ (loses the rook and the bishop, but its mate in 3)
Rf1+ (wins a queen for your rook and your bishop)
Qxf3+ (wins a pawn and trades queens)
Bg2+ (mate in 2)

I know thats not much of a shortcut, since you still have to look at a bunch of moves, but maybe this will help you prioritize which moves to look at first.

EDIT: oops, Rxh2+ is actually mate in 3! I didnt look at the followup after i saw it losing material. shows what i know.

Helianthus Annuus fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jan 7, 2022

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Redmark posted:

Looking at a position like that my evaluation would be "come on there has to be mate here",

Hand Knit posted:

Do you have more pieces around your opponent's king than they have? Look for the kill.

yeah these are the shortcuts OP needed! If you've played enough games, you tell at a glance that Black has a winning move here, even if you don't see it immediately.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
If there are any other amateur weight-lifters in the chess thread, check this out:

Losing 6 blitz games in a row is a great way to get really pissed off so you can bang out several difficult reps!

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
enjoying a fun category of chess puzzles in Lichess (will be super helpful in 90% of my blitz games): Equality https://lichess.org/training/equality

"Come back from a losing position, and secure a draw or a balanced position. (eval ≤ 200cp)"

EDIT: but i was actually looking for a category of puzzles where you force a perpetual from a lost position. any of the other chess puzzle sites offer such a thing?
EDIT2: these Equality puzzles dont seem to be in the main puzzle pool! Most puzzles have been solved 1000s of times, but these are in the single digits -- I might be the first person to see some of these

Helianthus Annuus fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jan 22, 2022

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

are you the voice in my head that talks to me when I drop a piece? haha

here's some advice: If you are on a losing streak on one time control, switch to another

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
when i have the black pieces, i always want to play the Sicilian. sometimes my opponents play 2. Bc4, and i love it because it gives me a very easy plan: push the bishop around and get a huge space advantage on the queenside (then desperately try to castle before something bad happens).

code:
1. e4 c5 2. Bc4 e6 3. Nf3 a6 4. Nc3 b5 5. Be2 Bb7 6. d3 d5?!
i have been playing d5 in this position, and the computer says I'm better off playing Qc7 or Nb6. It feels like i need to play d5 now, or risk never getting to play it! Can someone help me verbalize black's best plan in this position?

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Hand Knit posted:

I don't think the computer is all that worth paying attention to here. All moves are fine. Keep in mind that playing Qc7 doesn't mean you're not playing d5, it just means you're playing Qc7 before you play d5. Here are a couple of thoughts on this particular move:

(1) The immediate Qc7 has the benefit of preventing white from immediately playing Bf4. It also means that after d5, your queen will be in place to stop lines that start with white playing Ne5 and Bf3.

(2) Your pawn doesn't have to go to d5 in these lines. I actually much prefer playing these with d6 instead of d5. It's a bit slower, but the benefit is that white has a very hard time finding any active plan. Black's gonna put their pieces on Qc7, Nf6, N(b)d7, and Be7. White will be completely without target.

thanks Hand Knit, I will try to play Qc7 next time.

So, do you try to fianchetto your bishop on g7 in these lines, or just put the bishop on e7 and hope it can get active later on?

EDIT (UNRELATED): Here's another fun puzzle category: Hanging Piece.https://lichess.org/training/hangingPiece You would think that anyone who knows how the pieces move could get 100%, but sometimes more than one piece is hanging, and the more valuable one isn't as obvious!

Helianthus Annuus fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jan 23, 2022

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
analyzing a blitz game that i just lost. the computer found a winning move for white in this position that i would never even consider.

white to move and win

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Captain Foo posted:

1. Rxc7 -stalemated- ?

thats right! a miserable gently caress up, when Re8# is right there

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Zwabu posted:

Ah but even more stylish (IMO) to go with f7#.

oh yeah! but (almost) every move wins.

BLITZ CHESS UPDATE: i was losing my game again, but the opponent hung mate in one, and i saw it this time :twisted:

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Hobojim posted:

Is it Bb6? They can't take the bishop with the pawn or you fork them with Nxb6, and if they don't I guess you can just do some knight stuff and get an attack going?

I haven't really figured out where to go from there but it looks good lol

yeah, thats the right move, and the computer says all other moves are losing. black has several responses, but none of them are good

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
i'm no expert at exposing cheaters, but i would be looking at 1) how many mistakes the computer finds with their moves during the post-game analysis 2) how much time was spent on each move.

In particular, there are certain positions where a human would need to take a longer time to find a good move. If your alleged cheater is banging out perfect moves every 10 seconds (or however long it takes for him to copy-paste your moves into the engine) no matter how complicated the position is, then i think it's clear that player is cheating.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

jiggerypokery posted:

Anyone got a favourite offline puzzle/training app?

also wondering this

EDIT: so far, only found this https://github.com/brianch/offline-chess-puzzles

Helianthus Annuus fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Feb 2, 2022

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
been trying something new with puzzles lately: flipping the board and trying to find the move for the opponent. Anyone ever try this?

Its a hell of a lot more difficult for me than just doing puzzles normally -- i have lots of practice finding good moves for myself, and not very much the other way around. Am i facing an uphill battle to get better at this? Is there some cognitive shortcut to map one onto the other?

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
https://lichess.org/analysis/r3k1r1/1R3p2/4pB1b/p2pP3/1npn4/Q5Pq/3N1P2/1R4K1_b_q_-_3_28

missed the mate in 1 in this position (i played Rxg3+ instead), with 1:18 still on the clock (it was a 5:00 game) then hung my queen shortly thereafter :cry:

EDIT: Time to go to bed early and stare at the ceiling https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fWyzwo1xg0

EDIT2: Decided that sleep was letting myself off too easy for this disgrace, so now I'm punishing myself with back-to-back mate in one puzzles https://lichess.org/training/mateIn1

EDIT3: The self-flagellation worked, i am back! Back to punishing the other players instead of punishing myself :twisted:

Helianthus Annuus fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Feb 19, 2022

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Zwabu posted:

I got caught by an opening trap in the French Defence today (I was White) and lost. I looked over the game and identified the move where my game fell apart and why. Then I matched the same player a short time later and played out the opening in exactly the same way but I didn't make the mistake that fell into the trap this time, and got a solid win. The opponent taking a million years on each move once I didn't fall into their trap was soooo satisfying.

nice! can i see the moves leading up to the opening trap?

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
Seeing a lot of knights on the H file and on the A file in these candidates 2022 games! Is this a noteworthy trend? Unusual?

I generally don't put my knights there, but I also don't get booked up to the gills before my games :shrug:

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
code:
3r2k1/3p1ppp/p3p2B/4P3/7P/6Q1/q4PP1/4n1K1 b - - 1 27
from one of my blitz games: black to move win.

also from my blitz game: it's not g6 :roflolmao:

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Maugrim posted:

Is it 1. ... Nf3+ 2. gxf3 Qb1+ 3. Kh2 Qg3 forcing either queen trade or loss of bishop?

that's right, any other move hangs checkmate

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
Regardless what Hans might have done, Magnus definitely hosed up by withdrawing from this tournament for no good reason! Magnus has a recent history of sabotaging top-level chess by withdrawing from this tournament and by refusing to defend his title -- if anyone deserves a ban, it's him.

And if we want to talk about cheating online, I happened to be watching Magnus's chess stream during an online bullet tournament a few months ago, and he flagrantly cheated in his game against Naroditsky. He ended up winning the tournament. His cheating was clearly documented and there was prize money involved -- so where's the ban?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NrOv8hxN6g
https://lichess.org/tournament/dec21lta
https://lichess.org/w1j9cz4v/white#20

Anyway, if Hans cheats and continues to cheat OTB, he'll eventually get caught, and he'll get what's coming to him (assuming he doesn't get banned from top-level chess after this baseless accusation). It's just too bad that Magnus won't be held accountable for his various disgraces.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

totalnewbie posted:

Magnus doesn't have any obligation to defend his title if he doesn't want to. And given how badly he trounced Nepomniachtchi last time and how much actual work it is to play a world championship match, I don't necessarily blame him. It's hardly "sabotaging" - vacating a title is pretty accepted in other sports like boxing.

As far as his cheating goes.. I'm going to say a little kibitzing an idea he likely would have seen soon enough anyway, for an online tournament with a tiny prize pool that happens every other week, while on stream, that he won handily, is a little bit different from an in-person OTB annual tournament with a 350k prize pool. Carlsen also regularly won the TA and has given half or something of his winnings back to lichess. It's really not similar at all.

He hosed up this tournament by withdrawing for no good reason -- that's the sabotage I'm talking about. Very poor sportsmanship, and not really defensible even if Hans did cheat. It sucks for everyone else in the tournament, so I lose a lot of respect for him. That's why I think focusing on Hans misses the point -- it's not Hans's fault that Magnus withdrew, no matter what he says.

I agree with you that he has no obligation to defend the title. You're probably right that it shouldn't be called sabotage, but it certainly devalues the title, and I don't like it.

And the fact that his cheating didn't change the outcome of that two-bit online tournament is irrelevant. He should still be held accountable for his conduct, not given special treatment because his name helps rake in the chess money. In that moment, he should have turned around to his buddy, said "nice going dipshit," and clicked the resign button. That would have been the honorable thing to do, but instead, he decided in the moment that the rules don't apply to him, and everyone went along with it. I think that sucks!

Anyway, thanks for reading my tedious chess screed on why Magnus deserves less respect than he gets!

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Captain von Trapp posted:

By historical World Chess Championship standards you're a weirdo if you're not a prima donna with Dr. Evil style demands about how to run chess championships.

lol good point though

Salt Fish posted:

Yeah he hasn't even given a speech about "the Jewish problem" or vowed to destroy FIDE and made his own chess federation or brought his opponent's former therapist and ex-wife to sit in the front row of a tournament.

don't give up on him yet!

Sub Rosa posted:

Chess.com made a statement

https://twitter.com/chesscom/status/1568010971616100352/photo/1

"including information that contradicts his statements regarding the amount and seriousness of his cheating on Chess.com"

It's weird that they chose this moment to ban him, if they had all this evidence. I don't doubt it though, he did admit to cheating online, and I totally believe he would lie about the extent of it.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Apsyrtes posted:

If I can be an anecdote:

10 years ago I was banned for life from chess.com for cheating. No evidence provided, no chance of appeal. I was a paid member too, for quite some time.

Thing is - I wasn't cheating. And I don't know how it is possible that someone looked at my low rating, my months-long losing streak, my poor win/loss record and said "yes, we've finally got the bastard!"

I would certainly take any public statement from Danny Rensch on behalf of his employer with a grain of salt. He needs a job, and their profit depends on the perception that they know how to deal with cheaters.

That sucks! I bet that other poster is right, you had another tab open during a game, and if you look away from the board at any time, then your money is no good here.

chess dot com is a 2nd rate chess site. They have to pay GM Finegold NOT to play on lichess. Really says it all :roflolmao:

You're right, I shouldnt necessarily take what they post on twitter at face value

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
i think its very common! but here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNgvAmPexeU&t=634s

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

smiling giraffe posted:

mate in 3 with a sexy finish

nice one, thanks for sharing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Brut posted:

Black to move and win.

it was too hard for me, so i sic'd the computer on it.

a hint to help someone else figure it out without the computer: It's easy to find the first move but a little harder to DISCOVER followup.