Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Hand Knit posted:

Try to imagine what white has to do to actually promote the pawn. The obvious defence is black sitting a rook down on d8, so how does white get through that?

There is already a rook on D8?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Captain von Trapp posted:

If we're doing "who's better" and you're willing to take a look at a position in an OTB lunch-break game where both players are probably triple-digit strength, here's an interesting(?) position (white to move):

Note that both players very bad, so don't expect anything subtle.

I was black and assumed that I was toast, since white's up +3 in material. I'm not actually sure why Stockfish rates it as about -4, so that's why it's interesting to me. I'm guessing it's because so many of white's pieces are undefended and the black queen is poised for Qxb2, causing a bunch of subsequent problems.

New but taking a crack at it. I floundered on my own and then worked on it with a friend. White advantage, here is the logic:

Ne7 + Kh8,
e4 + Re8
Bg5 + [???]

If Qxb2 then Rc1 which is protected by bishop on g5

Perry Mason Jar fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Oct 26, 2022

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Helianthus Annuus posted:

a position from one of my blitz games -- white to play and win (i was in time pressure and i didnt find it)

hints:
the white queen and rook are forked
the white queen has to move
the black knight and queen are undefended
the black knight and queen are lined up

Qd3?

The knight is also forking the pawn so Qd3 to protect the both the rook and pawn. Black Queen can also take that pawn. Only thing else I see is f4 for the trade.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

regulargonzalez posted:

Isn't that also the implication behind having a woman's division at all? Or WFM titles? The implication in your statement is that both of those should be eliminated and everyone of any gender compete together with no segregation of any type.

I wonder what the outcome of such an approach would be.

Not necessarily. A women's league can open up interest in a sport where men dominate, since male dominated spaces are... not great, usually, and drive women away.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Control Volume posted:

They wield the mental power of both genders and cannot be stopped by mere grandmasters

I'm bigender. So yes. Definitely. Very true and thank you (please do not look at my rating 🙂)

But there's enbys who are agender... truly unstoppable. They bear none of the mental burdens of Gender. They are untethered. And they are coming to play Chess.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Mikojan posted:

Thanks, I'll get into some 10 minute rapids and see where it gets me.

I played a correspondence with a friend (1600 ish elo on lichess) that is getting me into chess. Honestly I didn't do that bad according to stockfish but made a blunder on a king move here:

I moved my king the the corner and went from -5 evaluation to being mated in whatever amount of moves.

My main issue with chess is that I like to play as black since I can get away withg being more reactive. As white I don't know what I'm supposed to be doing the first 10 moves or so.

I guess I should maybe learn an opening or 2?

thanks for that!

If you figure something out with respect to playing White, let me know! I've studied a number of openings but they never lead to the strong positions the content creators assume they will because the video is like "Go here, your opponent goes here, go here now, your opponent goes here now, go here, your opponent will go here Or here" and then when I play a game (bot), they do something else and then I don't even know

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
What if you're too scared to play against humans because you tie your value and intelligence as a person to the outcome of the game?

I play against my brother cause he let's me do takebacks.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I was playing all summer with this old man at the park who was, just, terrible. I never lost a game that I didn't beat myself in (I have a go-to move I like to call constantly blundering my queen to a knight).

I can't just win! I also have to feel good about my win. I'm a difficult person. I feel good about some of the checkmates I found, but that's all. I offered to teach him the scant theory I do know, so it's not like I was just mashing him into a paste like a big jerk. However, the more he refused instruction the meaner I got - Fried Liver, Wayward Queen, stuff like that - that I'll admit to.

He told me this week we're not playing anymore because... long story short, he won't just go get his dog spayed. Can't stand him but nobody else smokes weed and plays chess, so we have no choice but to get along.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
If you had to recommend one chess book for a beginner - I haven't played ladder due to number fear, so I don't know - which one would you recommend?

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I've watched a lot of YT videos on basic chess concepts and have done the chess.com course for most if not all of the concepts. What I need, I think, is to refine my game and understanding, and to learn some openings, common lines, common checkmating positions and forces, etc. Or should I keep grinding basics until a certain elo?

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
What a match!

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Mikojan posted:

I just instinctively know my brain is not wired to be able to do this. I will forever be bad at it and I accept that

Chess or the coordinates thing?

It's helping me improve my coordinates knowledge just keep using it

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Saw on TikTok an analysis board that actually explained why something was an inaccuracy, mistake, or blunder, rather than just saying x was best. Does anyone know what might be? Thought it was lichess but can't find it.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Little fuel will put that fire right out. This is all healthy for the game of chess, and necessary.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Can't stand that guy. Mind-boggling that he has fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
An old man at the park invited me to play chess with him when we met up (almost daily back then), which I gladly took up thinking I'd have an ersatz, skilled coach -- he was terrible.

Not only was he terrible but he refused any advice I had, so he just stayed terrible. I myself am Very Bad but only ever lost by blundering insanely, effectively beating myself.