Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

You've been wrong about Brennan this whole time. His proper identifier is Mr. Beanie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
You do not, in fact, need information from outside the game to identify tattoo guy. He's just one case where the game's unblurring mechanic expects you to use such information.

Bragon
Apr 7, 2010

The first thing I did encountering tattoo guy was google searching 'New Guinea tattoos' and well, guess whose portrait was the first thing that came up

Bragon
Apr 7, 2010

Nido you posted earlier:

Nidoking posted:

We'll cover this when we get to the single detail that the game considers pivotal to that identity. Part of me wants to try to compile a list of exactly which details or combinations of details the game considers to be sufficient and necessary to identify each person, but that would require playing through the game many times, taking every available path, and checking the book regularly. I'm on my seventh loop of Heaven's Vault already, thanks.

I turbo nerded hard over this game, and was also between games, so I did compile this data. What we've seen so far isn't all that interesting logic-wise, or is straight up in the wiki, but I can comment at least on process of elimination.

You noted that you had plenty of info to ID the 4th mate by process of elimination. As far as I can tell, the game engine is all or nothing as far as flagging somebody process of elimination. We see a reverse case, probably much later in the LP, where an ethnic group of crew have one member coded as process of elimination, his face only unblurs when all the rest do even if he isn't present in scene, however there's plenty of physically identifying evidence to ID him outright the same as the others.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

The biggest complaint I have about the unblurring is that it's technically extra information that I don't think is intended to be used as such. For example, Escape part 6. We hear Hoscut calling out to Brennan, and there are precisely two people in the scene who could be Brennan. Of them, one is still blurred and one is unblurred. It's easy enough to say "The new information I got was a name, and this is the person the game says can be identified with the addition of that name." Nobody seems to do that - one LP I've been watching actually said "Well, this is the guy who's coming down the stairs when he calls for Brennan, that must be Brennan. I don't think he'd be asking the guy who just killed these people for medical supplies." But I wanted to avoid taking advantage of information like that. There are other times when I think it's not clear who's being addressed by a particular name, but the game thinks it is. Again, maybe that expects some amount of recognizing accents, uniforms, nationalities, etc., but I don't want to do that in general, and it's a bit unfair to expect a player to do that, especially those who play the game in languages other than English.

Bragon
Apr 7, 2010

Oh I don't disagree, and didn't play that way at all my first time through. One of my final IDs, Alexander Booth, I noticed unblurred really early. What led me down that path was figuring out HOW THE gently caress the game logically thought you should get that person. I posted upthread but I also compiled that data to prepare for a play-along with a friend playing blind.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
The only case I can think of that outright requires you to use out-of-game knowledge is identifying the two women, since unless you know that married women wear wedding rings, there's nothing else as far as I know to distinguish them. Probably not a problem for players in most parts of the world, but it's not a completely universal custom. But to be honest, outside of that and tattoo guy I don't think I can think of any other cases where the game unblurs based on outside info, it's unfortunate these happen when they do, though.

Being able to pick up accents or even specfic voices certainly helps, but you don't exactly need to be keen to the nuances of the various accents of the British Isles, the game's never more detailed than English, Scottish, Welsh and Irish, and aside from one specific death I don't think the UK accents ever do more than confirm a reasonable inference you can draw from the other elements of the scene--for example, you can reasonably infer that Paul Moss is the man stabbed in Escape Part 2 based on someone yelling "Paul, look out!", and the murdered man's Welsh accent helps to confirm that, but it's not like the accent really makes or breaks that inference.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
THAT'S how you're supposed to tell them apart? I didn't even notice that detail. I went with "I guess the younger looking one would be Miss".

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Cloacamazing! posted:

THAT'S how you're supposed to tell them apart? I didn't even notice that detail. I went with "I guess the younger looking one would be Miss".

Also a valid train of thought, but probably not as accurate as the clue you're "supposed" to use.

Though if you look at it from the other pieces of information provided: OK, I have two women the game indicates I can identify from here. None of them are crew, so they are probably passengers. They are not pictured with the entourage of foreign dignitaries, so probably neither one is the princess. There are two women listed in the passenger manifest, one Ms, and one Mrs. (not including the captain's wife, who is already identified at this point.) Traditionally there is one visual cue that can help me tell those two apart it does make sense to maybe look for it.

Overall, it is a logic and deduction game, and some people are going to attack it from different angles. And there can be many correct approaches to try and find the answer. As pointed out above, yes, a lot of the clues might be dependent on if you can identify a person by accent or cultural notes. There's one person I had to think really hard about when and where exactly this was taking place before figuring out if they would be able to have the job they have, culturally. But if you see where they are usually found on the ship it makes it a little more decipherable who they are and what they are doing there. It also helps if you know what some of the jobs on a ship entail.

I am really hoping that another game much like this is created again. Another adventure mystery, with the same premise, same unique graphics and maybe around the same time in history, but a different location. Maybe a small village in Eastern Europe. Or maybe set something in Roanoke during the disappearance of the first colony.

Bragon
Apr 7, 2010

CzarChasm posted:

Though if you look at it from the other pieces of information provided: OK, I have two women the game indicates I can identify from here. None of them are crew, so they are probably passengers. They are not pictured with the entourage of foreign dignitaries, so probably neither one is the princess. There are two women listed in the passenger manifest, one Ms, and one Mrs. (not including the captain's wife, who is already identified at this point.) Traditionally there is one visual cue that can help me tell those two apart it does make sense to maybe look for it.

This was exactly my same journey to figuring that mystery out, and by extension, a lot of other 3 star IDs. Okay, one of them is Miss, and no other evidence means I should hunt for a wedding ring. Neat, I found one, and now that I'm looking at it just look at how much that small detail visually pops! There must be other tiny details that stand out and matter a lot.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

For those two, I followed a different (and probably bogus) logic chain that worked.

I assumed that "Miss" denoted a Lady from Society, and assumed that the other woman was her maid, because a Lady would not travel alone. When you see them, the older one seems to be standing protectively in front of the younger one, so she must be the maid.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Miss is an unmarried woman and Mrs means she's married

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I IDed Brennan by noticing that he cupped his hand to his ear, as if he heard his own name. I don't think I ever used the blurring/unblurring mechanic TBH.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Ibblebibble posted:

I IDed Brennan by noticing that he cupped his hand to his ear, as if he heard his own name. I don't think I ever used the blurring/unblurring mechanic TBH.

Nidoking did too. He's just saying that you can circumvent using thaat detail by looking closely at the blurring mechanic.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
The blurring thing is as confusing as helpful. There are a few places where I have seen LPers getting turned away from correct conclusions by badly timed unblurring.
One place is with Nick, where he isn't unblurred in the scene where his name is mentioned. Similarly there is the fact that the unblurs assume that you can group all the midshipman based on uniform, but not the officers. And I never found out what causes the ship's steward to unblur.
On the other hand Brennan and the Helmsman are people where the unblurring gives you significant help.

Bragon
Apr 7, 2010

The mates' stewards unblur because you see them serving and/or spending a lot of time with their assigned mates, besides Paul who is just called by name. The ship's steward is a whole different story, though, he unblurs on his death scene in 6-7 and I never really figured out why either. Maybe the game thinks he looks physically Indian? Maybe the game hasn't showed him with the captain or mates and thinks it's enough?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

VictualSquid posted:

Similarly there is the fact that the unblurs assume that you can group all the midshipman based on uniform, but not the officers.

Thinking about it, it does make sense, since there's a midshipman-uniform hanging in the midshipmen quarters.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

New video!

Turns out that squids aren't the only thing the Obra Dinn has been plagued by. They really weren't having any smooth sailing.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
When I first saw the crab, I was surprised, but when I got a closer look and saw there was something riding it, my mind was blown.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Mraagvpeine posted:

When I first saw the crab, I was surprised, but when I got a closer look and saw there was something riding it, my mind was blown.

Giant enemy crabs are one thing. They're threatening, but you can just hit their weakpoint for massive damage. Crab cavalry, though, hoo boy. That's way worse.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I never figured out what the guy in the passageway died from, I had to look it up. My train of thought went, "Okay so he was shanked by the crab riders, took the spike out, and hid, and then he... Bled out?" but none of the possible combinations I tried ended up being correct. Somehow, I completely missed the bullet trail, I don't know how.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Soldiers of the Sea has the best background music. Honestly, all of the audio in this game is top-notch, but this chapter is my favourite.

Also: Merry Crabsmas

Tenebrais fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Dec 25, 2021

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Tenebrais posted:

Soldiers of the Sea has the best background music. Honestly, all of the audio in this game is top-notch, but this chapter is my favourite.

Also: Merry Crabsmas

And a crabby new year!

Edit: actually, assuming they'll post a video next week, I could have waited with that one.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Dec 25, 2021

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

There will be a video next week. The happy new year wishes are probably best expressed this week.

Mikl posted:

I never figured out what the guy in the passageway died from, I had to look it up.

I've seen a lot of people very confused about that - they'll usually fill in "shot with a gun" immediately, recognize that they can't tell who's shooting, see the same guy crawling along with a spike in him, say "Why did I think he was shot?" and change their answer. It's a very odd scene because it seems to be the sole factor for the game unblurring the dead guy, even though nothing in the scene gives any information about his identity, and the scenes where you can find actual useful information are locked until later.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

The two men who were decapitated can also be identified as having been clawed, or (apparently) strangled.

While Charles Hershtik did burn to death, he was also accidentally stabbed by that other midshipman at the same time. If you're feeling particularly cruel you can mark him as the killer

It's about this far into both my playthroughs of the game that I noticed/remembered the alternate color options.

fractalairduct fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Dec 26, 2021

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Soldiers of the Sea is such a great chapter. The killer music, as mentioned, serves so well to emphasize the desperate heroism of the crew, faced with a sudden assault by horrific creatures. You really get to see which people have courage -- look at poor Charlie, who went from vomiting at the death of a cow to tackling a spider monster sabre in hand -- and it makes their deaths all the more poignant.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

fractalairduct posted:

The two men who were decapitated can also be identified as having been clawed, or (apparently) strangled.

While Charles Hershtik did burn to death, he was also accidentally stabbed by that other midshipman at the same time. If you're feeling particularly cruel you can mark him as the killer

It's about this far into both my playthroughs of the game that I noticed/remembered the alternate color options.

There is more then one death where you get the choice of blaming a person or a beast and be correct. And if you choose the person, their family doesn't get their wages paid out.

Zyxyz
Mar 30, 2010
Buglord

Nidoking posted:

It's a very odd scene because it seems to be the sole factor for the game unblurring the dead guy, even though nothing in the scene gives any information about his identity, and the scenes where you can find actual useful information are locked until later.

Yep, this guy is listed as being unblurred solely by his own death scene in the game's files. Another thing to note here that might be relevant to that: crew members also have an unused information field labeled "hint" that seems to label the ways you're "supposed" to deduce each characters's identity, but some of them are a bit lacking, including this one—he's listed as having just "role-appearance" and "origin-appearance", when there should also be "elimination" (he's the last steward left once you've solidly ID'd the rest). Even worse off are the Peters brothers also mentioned in this episode, who are the only characters actually labeled as "guess"! (Both also have "relate-dialog" and "role-scene", and Nathan additionally has "relate-manifest".) I guess either Lucas Pope just forgot that you can make use of what the labels would refer to as "number-scene" to distinguish between them more accurately, or the field is a remnant from a point in development when that clue hadn't been finalized yet?

Incidentally, while we're on the subject of the files, they refer to the crabs as "spider" (though that could very well be short for "spider crab") and their riders as just "rider", so not really much to go on there... (The kraken is, of course, "kraken".)

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Echoing what everybody else is saying about the soundtrack for this chapter. It's definitely my favorite. I don't understand why people think this particular tune is jaunty and upbeat. I get a sense of grim determination from it. But I'm not a professional music person so whatever.

Once again we have a dramatic reveal that caused me to stop on my first playthrough and wonder out loud what in the hell did these guys do, and all Nidoking gives is a pause and "oh." Combined with the accent from the previous video, I have now concluded that Nidoking is the East India Company's most jaded insurance claims adjuster ever.

TwoDayLife
Jan 26, 2006

On a two-day vacation
*poot*

This has been a pretty enjoyable play-through so far, especially after Nidoking realized that that game isnt trying to trick you.
I think Obra Dinn is near the top of my favorite games. It does so many things so well and really makes you feel really clever when you get that 'eureka' moment.

That is to say it's not without its quirks.

Zyxyz posted:

Yep, this guy is listed as being unblurred solely by his own death scene in the game's files. Another thing to note here that might be relevant to that: crew members also have an unused information field labeled "hint" that seems to label the ways you're "supposed" to deduce each characters's identity, but some of them are a bit lacking, including this one—he's listed as having just "role-appearance" and "origin-appearance", when there should also be "elimination" (he's the last steward left once you've solidly ID'd the rest). Even worse off are the Peters brothers also mentioned in this episode, who are the only characters actually labeled as "guess"! (Both also have "relate-dialog" and "role-scene", and Nathan additionally has "relate-manifest".) I guess either Lucas Pope just forgot that you can make use of what the labels would refer to as "number-scene" to distinguish between them more accurately, or the field is a remnant from a point in development when that clue hadn't been finalized yet?

Incidentally, while we're on the subject of the files, they refer to the crabs as "spider" (though that could very well be short for "spider crab") and their riders as just "rider", so not really much to go on there... (The kraken is, of course, "kraken".)
The brothers being labeled "guess" is pretty funny. I always assumed the numbers also loosely represented rank within their respective category of seamen, hence my thinking was always that the dead brother was the one at the bottom of the list as he was at the rear end-end of the ship when he died and the other brother wasn't.
Them and two of Chinese topmen are ones Im never sure just how you're supposed to figure out "properly"

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

I brought my Drake posted:

Once again we have a dramatic reveal that caused me to stop on my first playthrough and wonder out loud what in the hell did these guys do, and all Nidoking gives is a pause and "oh." Combined with the accent from the previous video, I have now concluded that Nidoking is the East India Company's most jaded insurance claims adjuster ever.

"You think those things are monsters, but have you met the higher-ups in this company?"

TwoDayLife posted:

The brothers being labeled "guess" is pretty funny. I always assumed the numbers also loosely represented rank within their respective category of seamen, hence my thinking was always that the dead brother was the one at the bottom of the list as he was at the rear end-end of the ship when he died and the other brother wasn't.
Them and two of Chinese topmen are ones Im never sure just how you're supposed to figure out "properly"

I might be wrong, but I think at the time they are sneaking away, Nathan's hammock is still hanging there. They would have not hung up the one from the dead guy.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Dec 26, 2021

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Regarding the mutineers, I think it’s worth noting that Davies’ involvement only stretched as far as saying “you have a plan?”, so his reaction to the stabbing is hardly him turning on his fellow conspirator, he hadn’t actually agreed to anything yet.

Additionally, my general impression of the midshipmen is that they’re teenagers, so even if Davies was generally willing to mutiny, seeing the other guy immediately try to murder a kid is pretty understandably a bridge too far.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I brought my Drake posted:

This is also why I don't Let's Play horror games. I don't tend to react very much to things, especially when I'm working with someone. I'm the Abbott of the pairing. I could probably do Costello, but I feel like a lot of people could do Costello. Not everyone can be Abbott.

Reveilled posted:

Regarding the mutineers, I think it’s worth noting that Davies’ involvement only stretched as far as saying “you have a plan?”, so his reaction to the stabbing is hardly him turning on his fellow conspirator, he hadn’t actually agreed to anything yet.

I think the reason I had so much trouble parsing that scene is that the people who weren't involved in the discussion about the mutiny, who happened to be all of the survivors from the scene, proceeded to mutiny in the very next scene, so I assumed that the plans had already been made and this scene was just one of the mutineers attempting to rope in the last few people who weren't aware. So I'd already mentally divided people into two sides, and assumed that the conflict was the last stand for one of them. The new information I got from further observing the scenes obviously failed to align with that explanation, and I just wasn't able to think quickly enough at the time to re-parse everything and get an answer anywhere close to the truth. It's possible that I might have made sense of it if I'd stayed there a while, but I didn't want to waste the time I had at that point. You'll soon see what happens when I make the opposite choice.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Reveilled posted:

Additionally, my general impression of the midshipmen is that they’re teenagers, so even if Davies was generally willing to mutiny, seeing the other guy immediately try to murder a kid is pretty understandably a bridge too far.

Yeah, those midshipmen were young people who are primed for a officer career.
I feel sort of bad for Davis. All he did was to hear the other guy out for a second after they just lost countless friends and co-workers. then that kid escalates everything and that psychopath immediately stabs him, while Davis was still sitting there in grief. And when that wasn't fatal fast enough, he aims to finish him off with a gun. He struggles to stop that and during that struggle the shot goes to the face of the other guy. A few seconds later Brennan comes in and does not have the decency to hear him out. "What's all this then? *Whack*" ironically, directly afterwards, Hoscut and him realize that mutiny is a reasonable choice given the circumstances.

Davies had just terrible luck and awful timing.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Reveilled posted:

The book's glossary does explain that the midshipmen are apprentice officers - sons of wealthy families who are on board the ship to learn how it operates so once they use their connections to get a future job as a mate they're not wastes of space. Which is why in the cow-slaughter scene the butcher was telling them what to do while also being quite deferential about it.

Long story short, yes, they're totally kids, at least from the perspective of the other officers.

From what we've seen of the last two chapters, it looks to me like the captain's plan was probably to have the survivors sail the ship to the nearest available port. Anyone without actual sailor skills, like the surviving passengers, were sent off with the last lifeboat both to keep them out of the way and give them the best chance if the remaining crew aren't enough to get a whole East Indiaman going where they want it to. Unfortunately he was still reeling from the massacre of most of the ship's crew and losing his own wife, so didn't explain the plan to the crew, who from their perspective watched him pick some people to send to safety and forced the rest of them to stay on their still-floating shipwreck. Hence people start plotting mutiny, and getting suspicious of each other for plotting mutiny, and fighting over it until there's only five people left on the whole drat boat and the only thing left for any of them to do is die.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I’m not sure it was necessarily so co-ordinated on the captain’s part with the lifeboat, more just that when the passengers and others decide to steal the lifeboat the Captain simply decides it’s better to just let them go. My general impression of the captain at this point in the story is that he’s essentially resigned to his fate—after all, he’s just come up from whatever he was doing below deck to chase off the kraken to discover his wife has died. That then consolidates into locking himself in his cabin by The End.

I don’t think it’s really clear from the escape what the mindset of Hoscut and Brennan is at the time, it’s unclear if they’re intending to stop the boat’s escape or not, and of course they’re diverted by the shot downstairs immediately afterward.

I kind of wish the very first memory wasn’t quite so…avaricious on Hoscut’s part, it doesn’t exactly comport with the more compassionate man we see tending to the Midshipman. There’s a general impression from these scenes that the shells seem to drive men to extreme greed, but they seem to be all gone by the time of The End so their effects shouldn’t be driving Hoscut mad with goldlust, I don’t think.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Thankfully, the game doesn't ask for motive when death is annotated.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
You also have to keep in mind that by Escape everyone was, quite understandably, a bit on edge: a couple hours before (at most, likely less than that) they'd just gone through an attack by a mythical beast, which seriously damaged the ship and killed a lot of people, leaving them with a skeleton crew. You can see how nerves were frayed, leading folks to make a lot of rash decisions.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Mikl posted:

You also have to keep in mind that by Escape everyone was, quite understandably, a bit on edge: a couple hours before (at most, likely less than that) they'd just gone through an attack by a mythical beast, which seriously damaged the ship and killed a lot of people, leaving them with a skeleton crew. You can see how nerves were frayed, leading folks to make a lot of rash decisions.

I think it can only be a matter of minutes, since the Bosun was still actively bleeding out, after having his arm ripped off.
I'm pretty sure Henry Evans could have saved the guy, if he had wanted to.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Dec 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

cant cook creole bream posted:

I think it can only be a matter of minutes, since the Bosun was still actively bleeding out, after having his arm ripped off.
I'm pretty sure Henry Evans could have saved the guy, if he had wanted to.
I'm not so sure of that, Evans doesn't have the greatest track record with missing limbs.