Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Asehujiko posted:

I'm not so sure of that, Evans doesn't have the greatest track record with missing limbs.
Fair point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Or just competent doctoring in general. He gives Laudanum(aka opium) to a guy having trouble breathing. One of the things that does is slow your breathing, so his choice of cough suppressant didn't exactly help the man

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

FoolyCharged posted:

Or just competent doctoring in general. He gives Laudanum(aka opium) to a guy having trouble breathing. One of the things that does is slow your breathing, so his choice of cough suppressant didn't exactly help the man

Well, he stopped coughing... Also, he didn't say anything about helping him there. "I gave him some Laudanum, let's observe what happens."

Pulling that guy from the wall by janking him off, rather, than carefully, trying to loosen the spikes perforating him was not the best approach either. But I reckon, that was a lost cause.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Dec 27, 2021

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The game certainly doesn't make the surgeon look very competent, but then we only get to see the scenes where his patients die.

Even if he is good at medicine generally, being a 19th century ship's surgeon probably doesn't help either. Medicine as a practice didn't have much going for it, let alone with the limited supplies available on board the ship. Laudanum is probably the only medicine he even has. Maybe some alcohol as a disinfectant. Had disinfectants even been invented yet? Not sure.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Tenebrais posted:

The game certainly doesn't make the surgeon look very competent, but then we only get to see the scenes where his patients die.

Even if he is good at medicine generally, being a 19th century ship's surgeon probably doesn't help either. Medicine as a practice didn't have much going for it, let alone with the limited supplies available on board the ship. Laudanum is probably the only medicine he even has. Maybe some alcohol as a disinfectant. Had disinfectants even been invented yet? Not sure.

I think the idea to pour strong alcohol over wounds predates the formal invention of disinfectant. People have been doing that pretty much intuitively.
According to Wikipedia:
"Alcohol has been used as an antiseptic as early as 1363 with evidence to support its use becoming available in the late 1800s.[8] Since antiquity, prior to the development of modern agents, alcohol was used as a general anesthetic."

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Germ theory? A detailed understanding of the chemical basis of cellular life? Pfft, you're getting bled to balance the humors and you'll like it!

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

FoolyCharged posted:

I mean, laudanum was used as a cough suppressant; it has codeine in it, and that will stop you coughing. It's not common today, but it is till used for that purpose. Heck, laudanum is still around too, even if nobody really uses it anymore (except for maybe the kind of nightmare diarrea you can't cure any other way). I'm pretty sure we're always going to use opioids; they are just too good at stopping pain.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

The objection is more about the fact that it slows your breathing rate, possibly to the point where you stop breathing and die if you take too much. Which is not exactly a desirable side effect in a person whose primary symptom is trouble breathing.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

they wouldn't exactly be laudin' him for that move

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

FoolyCharged posted:

The objection is more about the fact that it slows your breathing rate, possibly to the point where you stop breathing and die if you take too much. Which is not exactly a desirable side effect in a person whose primary symptom is trouble breathing.

Eh, I could see it almost as a mercy killing or at least being pragmatic, with the thought of "I can't cure this, if it's contagious we don't want the rest of the ship getting infected, and he's suffering. Best let him go out nice and easy (and quiet)"

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

New video!

This time, we have what I believe to be the first time I'm really pressing Nidoking on his reasoning. Things get rough for a moment.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

It has been so difficult getting this LP a drop at a time every Saturday! I just want to binge it. It's that good.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

I brought my Drake posted:

It has been so difficult getting this LP a drop at a time every Saturday! I just want to binge it. It's that good.

Yeah absolutely. Especially with these cliffhangers. "I'm gonna have to see how Miss Lim died and find out what exactly happens to this chest, when you open it."

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

That scene with the lightning is another important one for secondary information, at least if you read the glossary!

Topman is the rank given to senior seamen who have proven skilled enough to trust climbing the rigging and handling the sails up there. As such, you can identify all of the men in that scene as Topmen, which may help narrow down their identities.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Now I kinda wonder, if the officers, mates and the captain would be allowed to go up there. Of course they wouldn't because they'd think themselves to important for that, but I wonder if there were some sort of workplace safety guidelines which would actually bar them from going up there.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
"This guy was called John and there's only one John on board. That's suspicious."

"This guy called the other guy 'boss', suggesting he's subordinate. Seems too obvious."

You might be guarding against a level of malicious trickery that just isn't in this game. A lot of the answers are obscure and scattered, but I don't think the game ever sets out to deliberately mislead.

cant cook creole bream posted:

Now I kinda wonder, if the officers, mates and the captain would be allowed to go up there. Of course they wouldn't because they'd think themselves to important for that, but I wonder if there were some sort of workplace safety guidelines which would actually bar them from going up there.

They were expected to be able to to be able to to do things like supervise the topmen or check on the condition of the rigging, but as they grew older and higher in rank and often fatter some officers would leave that to others. Midshipmen were taught how to, and them getting up to shenanigans up above is where the word 'skylarking' comes from. Workplace safety guidelines weren't really a thing at that point in time.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Tehan posted:

"This guy was called John and there's only one John on board. That's suspicious."

"This guy called the other guy 'boss', suggesting he's subordinate. Seems too obvious."

You might be guarding against a level of malicious trickery that just isn't in this game. A lot of the answers are obscure and scattered, but I don't think the game ever sets out to deliberately mislead.

Oi, I take umbrage at these insinuations. I had a hard time with John because I didn't know which person in the scene was John, and as it happens, there are in fact TWO Johns on board. One of them just happens to be John Davies, fourth mate, and I've already identified him. I had the same situation with the two Charleses and sorted them as well. Then tell me at what point I didn't trust the "boss" designation, since I identified those two as soon as I noticed that word in the dialogue. If you're going to criticize my performance, please choose one of the billion perfectly valid criticisms available.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I've more criticism for McD on that one. He was so aggressive about making sure you weren't guessing that he didn't let you make the mistake and figure it out later. I don't think it hurt things too bad, but you definitely weren't alone in missing stuff due to tunnel vision

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jan 2, 2022

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Nidoking posted:

Oi, I take umbrage at these insinuations. I had a hard time with John because I didn't know which person in the scene was John, and as it happens, there are in fact TWO Johns on board. One of them just happens to be John Davies, fourth mate, and I've already identified him. I had the same situation with the two Charleses and sorted them as well. Then tell me at what point I didn't trust the "boss" designation, since I identified those two as soon as I noticed that word in the dialogue. If you're going to criticize my performance, please choose one of the billion perfectly valid criticisms available.

I'm not criticizing your performance at all, I'm saying that from the outside you seem to be treating the dialogue with a level of suspicion normally reserved for Carmen Sandiego's alibi. If you say that's not what's happening, then you'd know the inside of your head better than I would.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

FoolyCharged posted:

I've more criticism for McD on that one. He was so aggressive about making sure you weren't guessing that he didn't let you make the mistake and figure it out later. I don't think it hurt things too bad, but you definitely weren't alone in missing stuff due to tunnel vision

To be fair, that one assumption wasn't particularly logical. I don't know whether spending that much time on figuring out the correct answer was my best option, but at least it wasn't part 2d.

Tehan posted:

I'm not criticizing your performance at all, I'm saying that from the outside you seem to be treating the dialogue with a level of suspicion normally reserved for Carmen Sandiego's alibi. If you say that's not what's happening, then you'd know the inside of your head better than I would.

Again, at what point did I express the slightest bit of doubt in the word "boss" once I'd found it? I believe the entire exchange was "He says boss. Wow." And then I fill in the answers. At least 50% of your examples are facially wrong. You're going to have to present more convincing evidence to put that one in the book.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

FoolyCharged posted:

I think the rule is Nido doesn't get to scribe it unless he can walk through his justification, and he realized it when he couldn't articulate why the guy at the bench was the carpenter versus the mate. TheMcD definitely came on a little strong but he was within the spirit of the LP.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Nidoking posted:

Again, at what point did I express the slightest bit of doubt in the word "boss" once I'd found it? I believe the entire exchange was "He says boss. Wow." And then I fill in the answers. At least 50% of your examples are facially wrong. You're going to have to present more convincing evidence to put that one in the book.

Why do you feel the need to double down on defending yourself when the post you're replying to has already conceded the point? I misinterpreted your thought process and commented based on that misunderstanding, I didn't give you a summons to Forums Court to answer for LP Crimes.

e: or is this a tone on the internet thing and you're making a metajoke based on the format of the LP that whooshed right over my head

Tehan fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jan 2, 2022

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I was starting to get a little frustrated with being able to narrow down so many people to one of two names and not having any clue how to distinguish between them. Anything was starting to seem like a potentially meaningful detail at this point, and it's pretty clear by now that I was missing every subtlety available. It was my moment of weakness, I'm not proud of it, and I don't expect anything else in this session to redeem it. But at least it's not part 2d.

Tehan posted:

Why do you feel the need to double down on defending yourself when the post you're replying to has already conceded the point? I misinterpreted your thought process and commented based on that misunderstanding, I didn't give you a summons to Forums Court to answer for LP Crimes.

e: or is this a tone on the internet thing and you're making a metajoke based on the format of the LP that whooshed right over my head

It's a "you don't appear to have been watching the videos where I talk, if you honestly don't understand" thing. There is an assertion before me that is incorrect, and the post you're referring to literally does not at all concede any point, but tries to change the subject unsuccessfully. Unless you're saying that your original intention was to put thoughts in my head instead of words in my mouth? I appreciate that even less. In any case, no, I'm not capable of letting something drop when there's a factual disagreement happening, and triply so when it's actually about me.

Nidoking fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jan 2, 2022

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Nidoking posted:

It's a "you don't appear to have been watching the videos where I talk, if you honestly don't understand" thing. There is an assertion before me that is incorrect, and the post you're referring to literally does not at all concede any point, but tries to change the subject unsuccessfully. Unless you're saying that your original intention was to put thoughts in my head instead of words in my mouth? I appreciate that even less. In any case, no, I'm not capable of letting something drop when there's a factual disagreement happening, and triply so when it's actually about me.

What I was responding to was you saying "seems too obvious" at 28:30 in the latest video. Maybe I misunderstood what you were referring to there. Maybe you were were talking about something other than the boss thing. Maybe it was a joke. In any case, my motivation for posting was that I thought you were approaching the game in a way that misunderstood its intention, that you were guarding against word tricks that might be meant to deliberately lead you astray. If that was the case I wanted to inform you that this was not that kind of game so you could better enjoy it, in the same way I'd recommend checking mouse sensitivity if it seemed like you were having trouble orienting the camera. If you say that you were not approaching the game with suspicion - and, as I have acknowledged, you would be the only person in a position to judge that - then great! My concerns are misplaced and should be set aside, and the matter can rest there. No aspersions were intended, and if you took my comments as such, then I apologize for communicating poorly.

I don't know what 'putting thoughts in your head' means, so I can't say for sure that wasn't my intention, but I'm pretty sure that's not something I'm even capable of.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

FoolyCharged posted:

kw0134 posted:

I think the rule is Nido doesn't get to scribe it unless he can walk through his justification, and he realized it when he couldn't articulate why the guy at the bench was the carpenter versus the mate. TheMcD definitely came on a little strong but he was within the spirit of the LP.

Yeah, the problem I had at that point was that if I let Nido make the mistake, the only way you find out that it is a mistake is if we get three right and those ones don't get filled in or whatever, and then I've given him a free guess, so he could've just swapped the two names around (since that scene very clearly establishes a 50/50 guess scenario with the carpenter and his mate - two people that are very clearly two roles, just which is which). And even if it would've been right, the "official" reasoning as to why that guy would've been the carpenter would've been "he's the one doing the sawing right now", which just doesn't fly as conclusive reasoning.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

TheMcD posted:

Yeah, the problem I had at that point was that if I let Nido make the mistake, the only way you find out that it is a mistake is if we get three right and those ones don't get filled in or whatever, and then I've given him a free guess, so he could've just swapped the two names around (since that scene very clearly establishes a 50/50 guess scenario with the carpenter and his mate - two people that are very clearly two roles, just which is which). And even if it would've been right, the "official" reasoning as to why that guy would've been the carpenter would've been "he's the one doing the sawing right now", which just doesn't fly as conclusive reasoning.

I gotta admit, I swapped those around. But to be perfectly honest, I just didn't assume that a black American in 1803 would have managed to get the superior position. That did feel like a reasonable, if wrong, conclusion. Winston is kind of a badass.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

At least one of the mates and/or the bosun would regularly be up there to keep an eye on what the topmen are doing. And there's also the situations where the lookout in the crow's nest calls out "captain, you really need to see this!"

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Tehan posted:

What I was responding to was you saying "seems too obvious" at 28:30 in the latest video.

That was referring to the specific scene I was looking at being the one where the information I needed was located. That's also why I loaded the video with captions making it clear just how long it took for me to get there. It's also the case that I've been focusing too much on the deaths the whole time and not paying much attention to everything else happening in the scenes, which is why I'm missing so many important details. This is the one time I did bother to look around, and look at how much time I spent on not the dead guy in the scene. So I found myself inclined to look at everything except the actual death of the person in question, because it did, indeed, seem too obvious.

In any case, I've been taking the game at its word since I said I was taking the game at its word in part 1a. Your advice about how to play a game I finished before the thread began is an interesting but ultimately futile gesture. Thanks, but I believe I managed.

I gotta admit, I swapped those around. But to be perfectly honest, I just didn't assume that a black American in 1803 would have managed to get the superior position. That did feel like a reasonable, if wrong, conclusion. Winston is kind of a badass.

This was also a consideration for me, but I really didn't want to use race or appearance to judge the facts. Doing so might have led me to some more sensible conclusions, but there are times when it would also have steered me the wrong way, so on the whole, I'm content with my methods. Despite the video evidence to the contrary. At least this wasn't part 2d.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

He's a man so badass he beat 19th century racism.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Maybe England had different standards at that time?

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

I'm waiting for our jaded insurance claims adjuster to find the crab rider corpse and fail the jump scare, and then see the death scene and learn just how badass Winston is. IMO he's right up there with the midshipmen with courageous acts.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Mraagvpeine posted:

Maybe England had different standards at that time?

The first act of Parliament to abolish the slave trade in the British Empire was in 1807, although the practice of actually owning slaves wouldn't be banned for another three decades after. Institutional racism would absolutely still be rife everywhere, but the game is set in a time of growing abolitionist sentiment, so our carpenter had that going for him. He probably did have a better chance of getting ahead in life on an East India ship than he did back home in the US, depending perhaps on which state, but not by all that much. This is absolutely a man who broke through barriers to get to where he was.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Just found this thread and binged all the videos, love you're guy's banter and discussion regarding the mystery and though processes for conclusions, its always fun to see how people think through these problems to reach conclusions.

I absolutely love this game, there's so much insane attention to detail that really helps make it come alive, with just a handful of voice clips, and some careful posing, the story that's able to unfold is one full of tragedy, hope, courage, fear and so many other emotions all able to come alive in what are basically a series of 3-D paintings and by the end of it, there's at least usually a few characters you can feel a connection to, admiring, or despising them for what they did.

I'll echo what other people have said (I think someone earlier mentioned wanting a game like this investigating a lost colony like Roanoke), this game style and aesthetic would work really well for other locations in a similar time period, I always though having the investigator look into an abandon frontier fort or mission along the Oregon or Mormon trails would really cool (investigating something like the Whitman massacre). The time period and locations really lend themselves well and if they want to keep the threat of supernatural stuff, native American mythology in the various regions are chocked full of interesting creatures to use.

I don't know if Lucas Pope ever plans to make another game like this, but I hope he or someone else does.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Nidoking posted:

At least this wasn't part 2d.

I guess the next part is going to be...interesting.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I took me playing this game and watching the latest You Got Three Fates Right bit to realize that the skull page on the book mirrors the pocket watch. There are 60 crewmen to figure out the fate of, and 60 spaces on face of a watch.

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
Really enjoying this LP. I've never actually seen anyone play it (or seen any screenshots), but heard people talk about it, and I thought it would be a detective story or a murder mystery. In a sense I guess it is, but (at least to me) it's just as much trying to figure out the story, and what really happened and what caused everything to happen. It's a very interesting way to tell a story, and even if jumping around in the narrative isn't revolutionary in itself, it's seems to work very well in this game. And seeing how well it works, and that you to some extent can choose what order to view the story in, I'm a little surprised that this type of narrative is not used more often in games (or movies and books!)

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

New video!

We finish up this recording session by finding the last few scenes available to us at this time. There's only a bit more information the game will give us before it tells us to figure it out.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

Does this mean we get another recap episode with the British claims adjuster? :neckbeard:

I know the clue McD's referring to at about 36 minutes, but honestly I'm wondering how long it's going to take NidoKing to notice the steward uniforms.

Anybody else do a ton of those logic puzzles on a grid? That mindset really helped when playing this game.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Winston the carpenter was indeed wielding the gun from the bosun. It seems to be some sort of shotgun. A few seconds after the other crab burned to death he went "Give me that" and took that thing. So after witnessing all of these traumatic deaths, including his mate, who barely pulled him out of the spike fire, he doesn't stay away from the second killer crab, but specifically hunts it down and manages to take it out, by sacrificing his own life. That guy is a loving hero and had he survived this, he would have climbed on the kraken to poke it's eyes out. If the Obra Dinn was an action movie, he'd be the protagonist. He even has that backstory of a black trained professional going for him.

Hell, based on the timing, his taunting "is that all?" probably came after he was already pinned and he might even have gotten speared by then.

That guy is so cool.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jan 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Does this mean we get another recap episode with the British claims adjuster? :neckbeard:

That was because I found a lot of clues going back through the video footage from the first session. This session, there were some clues I could probably have noticed in retrospect, but like McD said, I was missing a major detail that wasn't in the videos, and without it, the task is impossible. There will indeed be a gimmick for the third session, but it's not what you're expecting. At least, I hope it's not what you're expecting.

Anybody else do a ton of those logic puzzles on a grid? That mindset really helped when playing this game.

I love those! And I did, in fact, have to make my own grid to fill in the information I found, since I couldn't use the book.