Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I'm pretty sure Winston's gun is a hand mortar. For all but the lightest loads, you'd normally brace them against a rock instead of your shoulder because it would probably break some bones if you do. Winston is just that badass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Its a testament to this games art and voice design that Winston, despite only ever maybe having a few scenes with the crew manages to become probably the biggest badass out of everyone with just a single line and a painting, it really speaks well to the style of everything.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Tenebrais posted:

The first act of Parliament to abolish the slave trade in the British Empire was in 1807, although the practice of actually owning slaves wouldn't be banned for another three decades after. Institutional racism would absolutely still be rife everywhere, but the game is set in a time of growing abolitionist sentiment, so our carpenter had that going for him. He probably did have a better chance of getting ahead in life on an East India ship than he did back home in the US, depending perhaps on which state, but not by all that much. This is absolutely a man who broke through barriers to get to where he was.

Ships were one of those places, like the American frontier, that had their own rules which did not necessarily align with mainstream culture, because the going was rough enough and volunteers were always hard to find. As long as you could pull your weight you could be a black man riding a horse and carrying a gun, and nobody besides your more visceral racist would look twice (whereas the same sight would have been absolutely scandalous in so-called polite society). You could even be a single woman living like a man - although admittedly not on ships because that's bad luck.

As well the death rate on long voyages was such that , even without factoring in giant krakens, it was hardly uncommon to pick up replacement crew along the way - be it in Africa, India or China. Even Frenchmen - complete anarchy.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Its a testament to this games art and voice design that Winston, despite only ever maybe having a few scenes with the crew manages to become probably the biggest badass out of everyone with just a single line and a painting, it really speaks well to the style of everything.

I think he may have some competition, but we'll get there.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

cant cook creole bream posted:

Winston the carpenter was indeed wielding the gun from the bosun. It seems to be some sort of shotgun. A few seconds after the other crab burned to death he went "Give me that" and took that thing. So after witnessing all of these traumatic deaths, including his mate, who barely pulled him out of the spike fire, he doesn't stay away from the second killer crab, but specifically hunts it down and manages to take it out, by sacrificing his own life. That guy is a loving hero and had he survived this, he would have climbed on the kraken to poke it's eyes out. If the Obra Dinn was an action movie, he'd be the protagonist. He even has that backstory of a black trained professional going for him.

Hell, based on the timing, his taunting "is that all?" probably came after he was already pinned and he might even have gotten speared by then.

That guy is so cool.

In one of the previous scenes, the final line is Winston saying "Give me that gun," and if you look around the diorama he's grabbing the gun from the bosun.

It has a real sense of "Okay, I'm gonna finish this right now."

(Also notice how there are several people lying in wait, hidden behind beams and stuff, as Winston dies. My guess is that he probably organised the crew, and went "I'll draw the thing down below to the cargo deck, you shank it when you get the chance.")

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Nidoking posted:

I think he may have some competition, but we'll get there.

I just hope we all agree that Nichols is on the other end of the spectrum. But yeah, I am pretty sure who else you are talking about and he's cool too.

Mikl posted:

(Also notice how there are several people lying in wait, hidden behind beams and stuff, as Winston dies. My guess is that he probably organised the crew, and went "I'll draw the thing down below to the cargo deck, you shank it when you get the chance.")

I think those are just cowering in fear. Although Turban Guy seems eager to backstab a crab.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

New video!

We begin what should be the final recording session. Nidoking has had a lot of time to think, and he thinks he's got it all figured out. Let's see if he's right.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Glad to see people's uniforms and positions in the picture being used. That's even more useful when you're allowed to guess since it lets you get things down to a limited number of possibilities, but it's also just handy info.

The lifeboat being upended by the beast was a pretty funny thing to find. Tragic but funny.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Nice summations and good catch with the bosun's mate. One thing I enjoy doing is watching Obra Dinn lets plays, since as a viewer even if you know how the mystery is going to play out, its cool to see how different people's thought processes work and how they reach conclusions, plus its a really interesting way to see how the Obra Dinn team constructed their game.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I liked the edits you put in when you had technical difficulties

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Did you really do all the mystery solving off camera? I feel like that kind of removes the whole fun of watching someone play this game. Moving from scene to scene and having the Eureka moment is the whole point of the game, not just staring at a sketch and describing who everyone is after the fact.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I wonder if they will discuss the story of what happened, because I have a few thoughts about that.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Did you really do all the mystery solving off camera? I feel like that kind of removes the whole fun of watching someone play this game. Moving from scene to scene and having the Eureka moment is the whole point of the game, not just staring at a sketch and describing who everyone is after the fact.

The mystery solving happened off camera out of necessity. I considered recording it, but it was almost entirely making notes in a bunch of text documents so I could cross-reference everything I found and eliminate possibilities as necessary. That meant I had to run the game in windowed mode, because the fullscreen mode disables any kind of task switching. Trust me - all of the eureka moments are in the video. There's just significantly less dead air between them.

Mraagvpeine posted:

I wonder if they will discuss the story of what happened, because I have a few thoughts about that.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

There's something kind of morbid about walking around the Obra Dinn once you've seen all the scenes and there are 40-odd corpses scattered around. It's partially a game conceit because they obviously can't have corpses overlapping, but there was just death at every corner of this ship.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

fractalairduct posted:

There's something kind of morbid about walking around the Obra Dinn once you've seen all the scenes and there are 40-odd corpses scattered around. It's partially a game conceit because they obviously can't have corpses overlapping, but there was just death at every corner of this ship.

Well, at this point we know that literally everyone aside from a tiny few died on board.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

TheMcD posted:

New video!

We begin what should be the final recording session. Nidoking has had a lot of time to think, and he thinks he's got it all figured out. Let's see if he's right.

In the original release there was definitely no leeway between speared and spiked..."speared" always referred to the handheld weapon and "spiked" was for the small projectiles that started out as part of a beast's body. One of the later patches made them interchangable as causes of death.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

New video!

Things go awry in this part.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I never noticed that the Indian guys all have alliterative names. That has to be intentional for some reason.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Well, I guess you recorded this whole thing ahead of time, so there's not much that can done now, but it appears you really did play the bulk of the game off-camera and just intend to show the answers after the fact. Honestly, that's a very bizarre way to let's play this game. Kind of like starting a murder-mystery novel, getting to the murder and ripping out the next 200 pages and getting right to the part where the detective spells out who dun it. I'm happy I played this game previously, because just getting the answers spoon fed without seeing the player fumble through the memories and put stuff together is a very anti-climatic way of doing the whole thing.

Anonymous Zebra fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jan 23, 2022

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Someone better at Photoshop than I needs to put the little twinkle on the Discord logo.

Nidoking, did you also go by Iconoclast at one point? I'm watching a Dead Space 2 LP and the voices are really similar.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Like I said, if you want the authentic experience, view the video at half size and pause every few minutes and go stare at a picture of Shantae. Pretend that's me task-switching away from the game and writing down what I just said in a text file. Then watch each part five times to simulate me reviewing the same information over again. Repeat until about four hours have passed. Then listen to the final couple of episodes in a few weeks, which will probably feel like about the amount of time I spent gathering all of the information. I don't do the falling-out-of-my-chair because I realized something type of reaction.

I brought my Drake posted:

Nidoking, did you also go by Iconoclast at one point? I'm watching a Dead Space 2 LP and the voices are really similar.

No, I've never used that name, and I barely got anywhere in the first Dead Space. Any Let's Plays I've ever done have been under this name.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I have a theory but I need something confirmed first: that one guy who got his leg cut off, where did he die and where was his leg when the inspector found it? It was the last death in Unholy Captives.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

I brought my Drake posted:

Someone better at Photoshop than I needs to put the little twinkle on the Discord logo.

Iconoclast is Niggurath, current forums handle "discworld is all I read".

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Mraagvpeine posted:

I have a theory but I need something confirmed first: that one guy who got his leg cut off, where did he die and where was his leg when the inspector found it? It was the last death in Unholy Captives.

He died at the foot of the forward stairs, near the storage rooms. His leg was behind the aft staircase, near the lazarette. It looks like his leg was cut off, and then he managed to hobble to the far end of the deck while being chased.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Nidoking posted:

He died at the foot of the forward stairs, near the storage rooms. His leg was behind the aft staircase, near the lazarette. It looks like his leg was cut off, and then he managed to hobble to the far end of the deck while being chased.

He could have been chased, or maybe the leg was moved when everyone else was preoccupied with the dying man, perhaps by a certain monkey...

I will elaborate on my theory after the last video comes out. Thank you for the info.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

That's an interesting idea, and somewhat more plausible than what I was thinking. I noticed the blood trail leading away from the scene and assumed John had left it himself, but the monkey could have carried the leg away and hidden it. The reason I assumed the scene happened at the aft end of the deck was that I figured Fillip was trying to get to the mermaids locked in the lazarette, and had simply attacked whoever was guarding them. It wouldn't make sense for him to cause a scene in the attempt to do whatever he planned to do to them if he didn't have to, and attacking someone at the far end of the deck from where he needed to be doesn't make sense.

That said, I think I have a good guess about what your theory is, and if I'm right, it's a great idea that doesn't quite line up with the facts as I understand them. But there is some tangentially related discussion in the next session, so I'll wait for your elaboration.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

New video!

Now with the technical difficulties hopefully finally out of the picture, we can continue and hopefully finish up our business on the Obra Dinn itself.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Some of those claims seems to be very arbitrary.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
RIP Abraham Akbar. According to the East Indian Trading Cooperation, you commited multiple posthumous murders and your family has to pay for it.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The book at the end definitely takes your findings into account. If you do the "Captain Did It" achievement, it will absolutely say Witterel is guilty of some fifty counts of murder.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

Some of those claims seems to be very arbitrary.

One of my favorite parts of this game is people reaching the insurance claim and realizing, "Oh yeah, I'm playing a shithole insurance adjuster that's trying to minimize claims payouts on this ship."

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
Will you be doing another video to explain what actually happened? It's not clear to me what the shells are and how it apparently attracts the various monsters that show up.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Sjonkel posted:

Will you be doing another video to explain what actually happened? It's not clear to me what the shells are and how it apparently attracts the various monsters that show up.

I mean, we haven't done The Bargain yet. So it's not like we are done.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

New video!

There's a bit of unfinished business we still have to attend to, and with that business, comes questions.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

The most unbelievable thing would be that the EIC would only send a single insurance claims adjuster as opposed to enough crewmen to sail it to harbor and then investigate it fully. Even if the locals in Falmouth were scared, surely there's enough desperate sailors who'd earn a few quid to sail a ship the last few miles to port. The ship and the cargo was worth more than everyone single person on board, combined, by a factor of a hundred and the EIC was not known to be the, uh, most ethical group.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
This little podcast was fun and expansive.
I will probably not feel the need to watch any other Obra Dinn playthrough ever again.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I'm watching the video right now and I can understand your confusion about the ship listing 60 people, seeing as how I made that same mistake. You see, the game never mentions this, but apparently the ship set sailed from London, where the artist made that sketch of the majority of the crew and passengers, and made a pit stop at Falmouth where the first tragedy struck. How are we suppose to know this? By finding lore in the one place no one thought to: the official website. To quote from the main page:

quote:

Late 1802,
the merchant ship Obra Dinn set out from London for the Orient with over 200 tons of trade goods. Six months later it hadn't met its rendezvous point at the Cape of Good Hope and was declared lost at sea.

So I hope that answers one of your issues. I'll post my theories later after finishing the video.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Hmm that is kinda fair actually. When else would the artist have had a chance to see Samuel and the others having fun on the deck.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

kw0134 posted:

The most unbelievable thing would be that the EIC would only send a single insurance claims adjuster as opposed to enough crewmen to sail it to harbor and then investigate it fully. Even if the locals in Falmouth were scared, surely there's enough desperate sailors who'd earn a few quid to sail a ship the last few miles to port. The ship and the cargo was worth more than everyone single person on board, combined, by a factor of a hundred and the EIC was not known to be the, uh, most ethical group.
The ship is heavily damaged to the point of probably being more expensive to fix than it's worth and I'd imagine most of the value of the cargo is the box, something the EIC probably wouldn't want to be handled by randos and/or the existence thereof or what it can do leaking out so they send a trusted inspector to verify it's existence/destruction before presumably marshaling a salvage crew based on their findings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

The ship isn't that damaged though, that's the thing. The sails are damaged, but it's not a hulk that's leaking, we see superficial damage all around and it's only because there's a storm while it's unmanned that it sinks (an occurrence which would be considered incredibly negligent in those days). It's also unclear how much the company knew about the box, because that seems to be "luggage" for the Formosan party, rather than cargo on a ship's manifest.