Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoDayLife
Jan 26, 2006

On a two-day vacation
*poot*

This has been a pretty enjoyable play-through so far, especially after Nidoking realized that that game isnt trying to trick you.
I think Obra Dinn is near the top of my favorite games. It does so many things so well and really makes you feel really clever when you get that 'eureka' moment.

That is to say it's not without its quirks.

Zyxyz posted:

Yep, this guy is listed as being unblurred solely by his own death scene in the game's files. Another thing to note here that might be relevant to that: crew members also have an unused information field labeled "hint" that seems to label the ways you're "supposed" to deduce each characters's identity, but some of them are a bit lacking, including this one—he's listed as having just "role-appearance" and "origin-appearance", when there should also be "elimination" (he's the last steward left once you've solidly ID'd the rest). Even worse off are the Peters brothers also mentioned in this episode, who are the only characters actually labeled as "guess"! (Both also have "relate-dialog" and "role-scene", and Nathan additionally has "relate-manifest".) I guess either Lucas Pope just forgot that you can make use of what the labels would refer to as "number-scene" to distinguish between them more accurately, or the field is a remnant from a point in development when that clue hadn't been finalized yet?

Incidentally, while we're on the subject of the files, they refer to the crabs as "spider" (though that could very well be short for "spider crab") and their riders as just "rider", so not really much to go on there... (The kraken is, of course, "kraken".)
The brothers being labeled "guess" is pretty funny. I always assumed the numbers also loosely represented rank within their respective category of seamen, hence my thinking was always that the dead brother was the one at the bottom of the list as he was at the rear end-end of the ship when he died and the other brother wasn't.
Them and two of Chinese topmen are ones Im never sure just how you're supposed to figure out "properly"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU