Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Yvonmukluk posted:

1) Does it matter? I don't have a choice.
2) Why all the questions?

Seconded.

Also it seems a little odd to see COPY instead of MOV. Though it makes sense, COPY is a little more accurate to what happens on any architecture I've seen and also fits the four character instruction length this game seems to be using.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

1. I feel like I'm in a study
2. Don't count on it.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

I was waiting for the reference because one optimization is obvious: use T as the working register and skip the check. You're waiting for the value to be zero anyways, and TJMP will implicitly do that check for you.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Quackles posted:

I vote for 'hack your own body'.

This!

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

You get used to it
This is silly

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Gideon020 posted:

Fifty Bucks for a modem?! My god this really is some kind of 90's cyberfantasy.

I used to occasionally see $20 modems in the store during the late 90s. Yes, the box listed basic functionality as if it was advanced features. No, I never bought one to see how bad it was.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

The exact handling of overflow can depend on the instruction used and the particulars of a give microprocessor. Though usually its just a difference between signed and unsigned, I don't recall it ever clamping.

I don't get it, no.

He's an old friend.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

ColTim posted:

Some MMX/SSE intrinsics/vector instructions saturate rather than overflow (including one with a very bizarre name: maddubs)

Is *that* what saturate is about. I kept seeing it while reverse engineering some firmware years ago and didn't have a clue. It wasn't really relevant to what I was trying to learn, but remember being a little confused.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Zebras but also bro(ther)s
I doubt it

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

As they say, there are two hard things in computer science: cache invalidation, naming things, and off by one errors.

Why couldn't it?

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Sure I do
Right

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

What happened?
Thanks

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

How long have you pretended to be human