Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
I played Terranigma as a kid (europe) and it's great, highly recommend.

I also really like Guardian Legend for the NES
It starts as kind of a shmup but after you beat the first boss you explore an overworld on foot and it's kind of like Zelda to some degree where you walk around and find things. And the dungeons are shmup levels. It's great and a bit underappreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Terraligma.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

mycophobia posted:

Terraligma.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Fucker posted:

thought the biggest win europe had over america in terms of video games was the frigging gregory horror show game. terranigma not being released over there is insane.

It's Siren 2, which actually, now that I think about it, Siren is one of my favorite games ever and fits the theme of the thread. Cheers

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

mycophobia posted:

Terraligma.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

still saving terranigma for my death bed.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

mycophobia posted:

Terraligma.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

mycophobia posted:

Terraligma.

also space empires 3/4 when i was a kid

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Surprised that the OP of this thread wasn't Bob

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

mycophobia posted:

Terraligma.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

mycophobia posted:

Terraligma.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Hole Blazer. Illusion of Gay.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

uuhhhhh i guess live a live? but everyones heard of it/played it. if you havent its a really cool episodic style rpg for the snes where every episode is a different genre. like youve got the western episode where you set up a town to fight off bandits, the fighting game episode where you kick mens asses to become the strongest of all time, the ninja episode where youre infiltrating a feudal castle. couple of real lovely episodes (the one where you play as the psychic guy can gently caress off) but overall its really cool and it wraps up in a neat way. great soundtrack too

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Hole Blazer. Illusion of Gay.

THIS

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

mystic towers, an old apogee rogue-lite-ish game. Isometric dungeon crawling, gather spells within the dungeon and manage food and water. The sound design, music, and monster design are incredible. the sound monsters make when they attack you is terrifying. each of the 12 towers are staticly generated, the goal is to kill all of the monsters as well as find a bomb and blow up the monster generator on each level.

you can find booze and get drunk and your old wizard starts farting and burping and doing weird drunk whistles and dances. i did this constantly.

anyone who used the on screen controls must be an actual wizard, i used a gravis gamepad and still got my rear end kicked. it's very very hard, even with starting lives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUkRQxqBWNk&t=173s

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

mbt posted:

mystic towers, an old apogee rogue-lite-ish game. Isometric dungeon crawling, gather spells within the dungeon and manage food and water. The sound design, music, and monster design are incredible. the sound monsters make when they attack you is terrifying. each of the 12 towers are staticly generated, the goal is to kill all of the monsters as well as find a bomb and blow up the monster generator on each level.

you can find booze and get drunk and your old wizard starts farting and burping and doing weird drunk whistles and dances. i did this constantly.

anyone who used the on screen controls must be an actual wizard, i used a gravis gamepad and still got my rear end kicked. it's very very hard, even with starting lives.

i never played that one looks cool. well it looks ugly but cool. bye.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

mysterious loyall X posted:

i never played that one looks cool. well it looks ugly but cool. bye.

its australian, they did their best

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i feel like everyone in the Imp Zone already knows about Star Control 2 despite its obscurity elsewhere. but just in case you haven't played it? it's free, it's a ton of fun, and it might get a (real) sequel sometime in the next couple of years.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

i thought terranigma was cool as hell when i played it on an emulator and then i got to the part where you go to the outside of the planet and got bored immediately.

i like smart ball aka jerry boy even though i'll probably never play it again.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Terranigma is way too long

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

they added rpg elements and there's a total level-check boss (bloody mary or something) that you have to grind to beat.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Less of an obscure game and more of a great game trapped on an obscure defunct service but Castlevania the Adventure ReBirth is probably my favorite classic style Castlevania. God tier soundtrack paired with an all around sick game but it was only ever released on WiiWare. So the only way to play it now aside from having a copy from back then is modding your wii or playing it on Dolphin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdVJyCLBCNI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ov-q8KHS0e0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlQ_bIDo3_Q

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

That game does indeed kick rear end. So does the second Gameboy CV game which is probably still played by a lot of people bc of the series name but it's leagues better than what the hardware should have let them accomplish

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Adventure rebirth kicks rear end

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020
Escape Velocity and EV: Override managed to make gaming on a mac in the brutal OS 9 days feel like less than absolute poverty. Overhead open worldspace shooter where you could go around being a merchant marine, upgrading your ship, siding with different political factions, discovering alien worlds, it owned. Too much for my miniscule child mind to handle though, never really understand what was happening

What I did understand was that it was shareware, and after 30 days a totally overpowered guy would show up and stomp your rear end. But the devs had true gamer's honour, and you could actually escape him and it seemed like you could defeat him too, which just made it more fun, living in fear of the shareware license man (yes I tried turning back the system clock it didn't work)

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

b_d posted:

i thought terranigma was cool as hell when i played it on an emulator and then i got to the part where you go to the outside of the planet and got bored immediately.

i like smart ball aka jerry boy even though i'll probably never play it again.

Is that art by the dude who did the original Pokémon designs because it does look familiar

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Samuel Glompers posted:

What I did understand was that it was shareware, and after 30 days a totally overpowered guy would show up and stomp your rear end. But the devs had true gamer's honour, and you could actually escape him and it seemed like you could defeat him too, which just made it more fun, living in fear of the shareware license man (yes I tried turning back the system clock it didn't work)

lol sick

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Plutonis posted:

Is that art by the dude who did the original Pokémon designs because it does look familiar

Yeah, it was actually developed by Game Freak and Sugimori did the art

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial
Sierra pile Lords of Magic if this is obscure enough

tawal
Feb 7, 2012

mbt posted:

thank you. I've been trying to remember this game for years now and never felt confident I had enough details to post it in the help me remember a game thread. badass

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Ristolaz posted:

Sierra pile Lords of Magic if this is obscure enough

My mom and dad spent more time playing LoM 2 and Lords of the Realm 2 than I’ve probably spent playing anything other than TF2 in my life.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

lords of magic and lords of the realm were cool

tawal
Feb 7, 2012

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Shadowhand is a cool tripeaks style solitaire game with items/equipment etc. You fight AI opponents with the power of insane card streak combos. The system is pretty bare bones but it's hella fun. One of the only steam games I've platted

the other solitaire game by the same folks, regency solitaire, is also a lot of fun

tawal
Feb 7, 2012

I don't think it's very obscure but Far East of Eden Zero finally got fan translated a few years ago and it didn't get the attention it deserved. It's a cool little SNES JRPG that feels very Dragon Questy, to me, with a lot of cool festivals and annual events tied to the real-time clock

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Finty Flush from the microsoft puzzle collection is a game i think about every once in awhile.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

tawal posted:

I don't think it's very obscure but Far East of Eden Zero finally got fan translated a few years ago and it didn't get the attention it deserved. It's a cool little SNES JRPG that feels very Dragon Questy, to me, with a lot of cool festivals and annual events tied to the real-time clock

the presentation is really impressive but i got tired of the battles, idk i have a hard time sticking with jrpgs nowadays esp if its a old skool menu driven system, maybe someday ill finish it :shrug:

i've played a couple hours of the 2nd game in the series [ithink?] game far east of eden/tengai makyou: manjimaru on my pcengine mini which is also pretty impressive, esp given the hardware limitations of the system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhbqY_ojSMs&t=1003s

joe hisaishi of every ghibli movie fame wrote the score, or at least the red book audio tracks idk about the psg songs.

its also not terribly difficult to read either if anyone out there is hankering for a japanese language jrpg to play. THE battle system is still bland as heck tho. oh well.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Commander Blood. I think I got it for free with a sound card. It’s the sequel to Captain Blood, a game I’ve never played.

You help pilot a ship for a guy who is near death and in cryo-freeze. Your goal is to travel back in time to the Big Bang so he can witness it. It’s mostly an adventure type game as you go from planet to planet interacting with aliens and warping your way around the galaxy. Everything is very Hitchhiker's guide-like with the dialogue, but the puzzles themselves make sense. Periodically you have to re-stock energy by going into cyberspace and piloting a floating hand, grabbing energy from space manta rays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAoSr-bdaxE

The whole game has a really weird and fun vibe. The aliens are puppets they filmed/scanned and they all have their own language. You can also surf native TV channels when you go to a planet and watch alien reality shows or infomercials and poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWnXuxqO-I8

Apparently it was in the works for Jaguar CD but that version was cancelled. The sequel, Big Bug Bang, finished the plot but it only came out in France and was never translated. I always tell myself I’m going to power through it with google translate someday.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

captain blood is pretty cool. the gimmick is you're supposed to be figuring out how to communicate with aliens using symbols since u don't know their language. i didn't know it had sequels.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

It’s Commander Blood dude. It’s right there twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Wormskull posted:

It’s Commander Blood dude. It’s right there twice.

Tato posted:

It’s the sequel to Captain Blood, a game I’ve never played.