Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Wrong account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I can’t believe Dinosaur Jerk reading less of a post than anyone else is what made Me look like an rear end in a top hat this time. God drat it.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
The chain of promotion is very clear from the trilogy

Captain -> Commander -> Big Bug

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Wormskull posted:

I can’t believe Dinosaur Jerk reading less of a post than anyone else is what made Me look like an rear end in a top hat this time. God drat it.

I actually read all of it. Cheers

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Wormskull posted:

Lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lyle's about to make you his bitch.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Titanic: Adventure out of Time. The plot is that you get sent back in time to the Titanic to make sure Hitler's paintings make it to America so he'll be accepted into an American art school and prevent World War 2. One of the puzzles is you cracking the enigma machine. It has that nice 90s nurbs rendering look and fmv, a timeless combination

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial

Wormskull posted:

My mom and dad spent more time playing LoM 2 and Lords of the Realm 2 than I’ve probably spent playing anything other than TF2 in my life.

lol cool. Are ya winnin mom?

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

GorfZaplen posted:

Titanic: Adventure out of Time. The plot is that you get sent back in time to the Titanic to make sure Hitler's paintings make it to America so he'll be accepted into an American art school and prevent World War 2. One of the puzzles is you cracking the enigma machine. It has that nice 90s nurbs rendering look and fmv, a timeless combination

what if i could talk to the monsters and convince them to go to art school

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

hell yeah

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Miyamoto wondering if you can shake hands with Hitler in the hospital after he domes himself in the bunker

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

mycophobia posted:

Terraligma.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Samuel Glompers posted:

Escape Velocity and EV: Override managed to make gaming on a mac in the brutal OS 9 days feel like less than absolute poverty. Overhead open worldspace shooter where you could go around being a merchant marine, upgrading your ship, siding with different political factions, discovering alien worlds, it owned. Too much for my miniscule child mind to handle though, never really understand what was happening

What I did understand was that it was shareware, and after 30 days a totally overpowered guy would show up and stomp your rear end. But the devs had true gamer's honour, and you could actually escape him and it seemed like you could defeat him too, which just made it more fun, living in fear of the shareware license man (yes I tried turning back the system clock it didn't work)

escape velocity pwns. the only one i played was Nova, which i guess is the third one, and the only one you can play outside of mac os 9.

i always went the story route where you become a total slave to some lovely government but develop the strongest psychic powers in the universe and fly around in your own energy projections instead of physical ships and blast poo poo with psychic beams.

Winty
Sep 22, 2007

for some reason i was really into this ~ok rpg 'albion' ... the grahics were very good and colorful so that's prob why. the mechanics were bad and it had ill advised first person areas. it was dos only

Winty fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Dec 1, 2021

Winty
Sep 22, 2007

Samuel Glompers posted:

Escape Velocity and EV: Override managed to make gaming on a mac in the brutal OS 9 days feel like less than absolute poverty. Overhead open worldspace shooter where you could go around being a merchant marine, upgrading your ship, siding with different political factions, discovering alien worlds, it owned. Too much for my miniscule child mind to handle though, never really understand what was happening

What I did understand was that it was shareware, and after 30 days a totally overpowered guy would show up and stomp your rear end. But the devs had true gamer's honour, and you could actually escape him and it seemed like you could defeat him too, which just made it more fun, living in fear of the shareware license man (yes I tried turning back the system clock it didn't work)

os 9 never felt brutal to me because -. well i was a kid and didn't know any better- but also because you could download 45 shareware games at once before your dial up cut off and every one was a labor of love from some joe blow who learned to program and had that shareware game weirdness. not all of them would be good but they all had something to say and that's a kind of scene that will never exist again .

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Winty posted:

os 9 never felt brutal to me because -. well i was a kid and didn't know any better- but also because you could download 45 shareware games at once before your dial up cut off and every one was a labor of love from some joe blow who learned to program and had that shareware game weirdness. not all of them would be good but they all had something to say and that's a kind of scene that will never exist again .

that kind of energy exists kinda in home brew scenes for different consoles.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

mycophobia posted:

Terraligma.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Omega Boost is a sick psx game and the only game polyphony ever made that isnt loving gran turismo and its never happening again.

Bleed 1 and 2 are indie darlings that look awful but play super well, especially 2. A focus on bosses and minibosses and the extra difficulties add some new attacks and makes others faster instead of the typical more health on bosses more damage dealt to you.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Winty posted:

for some reason i was really into this ~ok rpg 'albion' ... the grahics were very good and colorful so that's prob why. the mechanics were bad and it had ill advised first person areas. it was dos only

i played around when it came out because it ended up in 5 dollar bins real fast + replayed it on gog a few years ago. its cool but also annoying and grindy. the jrpg linear storyline + sort-of crpg mechanics almost works but not really. iirc the levelling was bizarre and grindy, and you had to pay trainers to actually level up or gain skills or something. but the spread of trainers is really weird like the cat girl shaman can get the best spells in the game on the first island if you grind enough, but once you leave the first island all the trainers are idiots and dont do poo poo for the next 2 or 3.

the overhead tile graphics were really nice tho. the 3d dungeons are kind of cool but also hideous. there's a cool wandering creature in the first dungeon thats just like a walking pineapple. love that guy.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

did someone say cat girl shaman?????

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Umforch their weird anthro stuff amd not sexy anime cat girls that say nyan and fo the hand thing.

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo
resident evil 5

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Eternal Poison for the playstation 2

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
Gun Mute

it's a text adventure shooter, but not as epic bacon as that might sound, I swear it's actually good. it has a cool "weird western" setting with robots and cyborgs and nuclear waste mutants and stuff, and every gunfight is a little puzzle, kinda like punch-out, where you have to pay attention to details and make logical conjectures to win
also it's the only game I know of where you play as an incredibly handsome, shirtless gay man for absolutely no reason

I want to make a text adventures thread actually but I assume nobody would post in it

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Cubone posted:

Gun Mute

it's a text adventure shooter, but not as epic bacon as that might sound, I swear it's actually good. it has a cool "weird western" setting with robots and cyborgs and nuclear waste mutants and stuff, and every gunfight is a little puzzle, kinda like punch-out, where you have to pay attention to details and make logical conjectures to win
also it's the only game I know of where you play as an incredibly handsome, shirtless gay man for absolutely no reason

I want to make a text adventures thread actually but I assume nobody would post in it

its nice to feel represented

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

mycophobia posted:

Terraligma.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Original War. It's an RTS/RPG thing, but if you ask me it's really more of an RPG than anything else. You follow your squad of dudes who get flung back into prehistoric times, and while you get a few new soldiers in missions here and there, what you have is what you get, and you really can't afford to lose anyone. You generally carry over resources and sometimes reuse the same base between missions, it's cool. It has progression totally unlike most RTS games, and also all the portraits are clearly inspired by various 80s action movie heros. I made a thread on it a few years ago lol. There's no hero units or anything like that, it's just pure planning and using resources correctly. Afaik the AI never has any infinite units or resources, either. It's not a terribly hard game and it's janky, but there's absolutely nothing like it.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
graffiti kingdom for the ps2 fuckin owned, you would draw 2-d shapes using the controller and then they would pop out into 3-d models and then you'd put them together and run around a janky 3-D platformer / brawler to the most obnoxious sound effects you could imagine fighting repetitive nothing blobs of enemies but goddamnit you'd be whatever stupid-rear end thing you made or whatever pop culture thing you tried to recreate or whatever dick you doodled and it was just the goddamn best

and because of this post i just learned there was a phone game version released this year but it already shut down last month

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Samuel Glompers posted:

Oh yeah EV owned, it felt like a living galaxy where it was fun to go from system to system exploring and there was always a lot of other space traffic going around. It was fun how your starting shuttle stood no chance against warships but you could gradually work your way up to leading a fleet of carriers demanding tribute from planets. I liked how going to hyperspace wasn't instant, you had to wait a moment for your engines to power up which could be tense if you were being chased or on the brink of death.

Game had incredible mods, one for Star Wars had tons of lore from the books including the dreadnought fleet.

For an obscure game I liked, Swat 2 was tons of fun. You could either be the cops or terrorists in a campaign, and for a series that was usually super-pro police surprisingly they would allow the terrorists to win their campaign and escape justice on a jet.

The appeal was in the level of detail and tactics each side had to use for success. The police have a deep starting roster with good skills and equipment, but you can't send 20 guys on each mission or you'll run out of money fast so it requires figuring out who you need for each mission and if you want to have a few guys in training, including for K9 certification so they can bring dogs on missions. Using lethal force is a big deal and even when justified will mean your best guy is on paid leave for the next mission and unavailable, so lots of incentive to take suspects alive. Hitting the bad guys with tear gas is a good strategy but it's the only game I've seen where if someone is left in a non-lethal gas cloud for too long they'll be seriously injured.

You could bring along an armored car to ram down doors or a helicopter for rooftop rappelling. Injuring or killing civilians was a huge point deduction that would likely lead to campaign failure. Finishing a mission with zero shots fired is usually the goal.

On the flip side, the cult campaign starts you with a handful of poorly trained guys with a small armory. You quickly learn it's a bad idea to have a random guy try to handle explosives. The premise is they are being recruited by a charismatic guy who at first sends them on missions against drug dealers but escalates to operations likely to bring heavy police response. One of the most memorable missions is needing to take an injured kid to a hospital for treatment, requiring you to put them in a room with a doctor then escape. When the police respond it can escalate to hostage negotiation where you can demand money, vehicles, or food, with it being random what the cops will give you. Could end with successfully demanding cash and grabbing it then getting out a back exit, police may stall as they seek entry points, it felt tense and strategic.

One of the most interesting mechanics with the cult was being able to take hostages with you when exiting the map. You could detain them, hand out literature, then stuff them in the getaway car. Decent chance of no sale and the game would note they were released into the desert, but frequently they'd be persuaded and join your ranks. Most are low quality but there was a chance of getting a lady who does triathlons and has some of the best stats.

The game had the best mission debriefings, the Chief would compliment you on evidence gathering skills or if you gave up and said hell with it will yell about how bad it looks when officers turn on officers and shoot down their own helicopter for fun.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

i loved swat 2 as a kid for basically all those reasons but the actual gameplay was so clunky and im not sure how it could be refined.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

mycophobia posted:

Terraligma.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

vandal hearts has cool class system, and amazing encounter design; with very memorable and unique music

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

trying to jack off posted:

i loved swat 2 as a kid for basically all those reasons but the actual gameplay was so clunky and im not sure how it could be refined.

True, when playing to preserve challenge had to ignore easy exploits. Like campaign budgeting wasn't necessary if you sold everyone's handgun. I think the intention was that your rifle was supposed to have limited ammo but as that didn't make it into the game there was no reason to bring a secondary lethal gun. Snipers were broken and could one shot anyone and the AI would never use them or go after your sniper so they could wipe out SWAT teams without difficulty. There were unique animations if you had a cop arrest another cop but there was no in game reason to do that.

Yeah definitely not a masterpiece but I had a fun time engaging with the system. If it were super refined it would probably be something closer to Jagged Alliance 2.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
I had more fun reading about swat 2 just now than I remember having playing swat 2 as a kid.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Deb is whore.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Wormskull posted:

Deb is whore.

lol

JOSEPH SAMOAN
Jun 13, 2010

I love Echo Night on the ps1. It’s a horror themed first person adventure game where you’re on a boat full of ghosts, some you help and some you try to avoid getting killed by. It feels really cheaply made and sounds like about 3 people are voicing everyone in the game but it’s got beat puzzles and this bizarre dreamlike atmosphere to it that makes me enjoy it

also clock tower for the super famicom and to a lesser extent clock tower for the ps1. Both games are full of great music and have a weird b-movie presentation to them that rules, and they’re the perfect sort of games for multiple play throughs

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
spyfiction

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I wouldn't say it's obscure because it was made by Nintendo but I think a lot of people would be surprised how good 1 player mode in Mario Party Advance is.

It was definitely ignored though because the fun of Mario Party is multiplayer with friends and chances are if you are with all your friends you aren't going to have four GBAs, four copies of Mario Party Advance, and three link cables. Plus odds are you will be near electricity so you'd just play it on the Gamecube or whatever.

Anyway I don't even remember what made me try it but 1 player mode was one of my favorite game experiences ever (I played it some time in 2008 or so, long after the GBA was dead). It reminds me a lot of Mario Golf for the GBC and GBA where it has a bunch of RPG elements for 1 player mode. It's basically like Mario Party RPG. One memorable thing in the game I remember was you had to help this dolphin who was trying to be a stand-up comedian, but his jokes were terrible. So you'd have to go find him good jokes for him to use, and the audience ends up loving him if you do it right.

I really do think anyone who plays the 1 player mode of Mario Party Advance would absolutely love it, as weird as it is to probably hear someone say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Oh yeah EV owned, it felt like a living galaxy where it was fun to go from system to system exploring and there was always a lot of other space traffic going around. It was fun how your starting shuttle stood no chance against warships but you could gradually work your way up to leading a fleet of carriers demanding tribute from planets. I liked how going to hyperspace wasn't instant, you had to wait a moment for your engines to power up which could be tense if you were being chased or on the brink of death.

Game had incredible mods, one for Star Wars had tons of lore from the books including the dreadnought fleet.

The EV Series is all time classic Mac gaming. In fact a ton of Ambrosia SW stuff is really good.

One of my faves was “Harry The Handsome Executive” a game where you used a rolling office chair and a staple gun to fight robots in a corporate hell-world. Absolutely A+ stuff. There was actually a lot of thought put into the physics of the office chair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7wjZdBdKwo