Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I saw Spielberg war of the worlds on 4th of July at a drive in movie theatre with fireworks going off all around me, it was a very immersive experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Plutonis posted:

RE: Browser Games what was your favorite Neopets browser game? I used to get a lot of moolah on Cheat! Heist

Used to play a lot of Destruct-o-match, and I should really try to find a block breaker to scratch the same itch

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

just remembered i played a bunch of an old DOS game called Matter Blaster. the only videos i found on youtube are bad and boring. iirc there were a bunch of custom or maybe random maps not shown here. and more importantly you could customize the guns. you can have the particles they shoot have different properties, in terms of speed, movement, and digging through stuff vs exploding on impact. and you can have them explode into different particles, which you can also customize, and have them explode into other particles, etc.

i mostly messed around making stupid guns that set off huge branching explosions, not really "playing" vs the computer.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Metal Marines for SNES owned, tactical grid-based real-time game where you launch missiles at and opposing island until their base is destroyed? Yeah there were some stupid fan-service mechs too I guess but building an economy, stockpiling fuel, launching missiles, and arranging your defenses was fun as hell. It was different from almost any other SNES game available for rent at the video store and obscure enough I almost never hear it come up when talking about the 16 bit era.

Cart Mountain
Nov 1, 2004

Wormskull posted:

Madden 2022.

lol

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
There used to be this pc demo I used to play called Dyson. You controlled these little bird/jet-looking spores and directed them to "planets". And then they'd burrow into the planet and start growing trees that produced more spores. You'd encounter hostile versions of the spores and they'd dogfight until one side won or lost, and then they'd infect the losing planet.

Anyhow I guess it's called Eufloria now as of like ~2014.

But I'm a huge dipshit and it probably wasn't obscure at all. I was just a shut-in goon that found it on SA in like 2007 or whenever

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Hey ease up on yourself bro. The rest of us need some poo poo to talk.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I have that game OP. I thought it looked cool when I, too, was a young dipshit goon and bought it with money from my first job and plaid it for 5 minutes, got bored and then never touched it again. I didn’t have mariguana back then though.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

OP(real), to contribute: The Sims (2000).

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Lol. Of course Pac Man is the one with an exact number. Yeah yeah I’m sure there’s some lore or whatever, like it means the arcade cabinet which went out of production or whatever. Someone summarize that rear end for the benefit of everyone, will ya.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Love the audacity of an unsourced exact figure on Wikipedia,

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Wormskull posted:

Lol. Of course Pac Man is the one with an exact number. Yeah yeah I’m sure there’s some lore or whatever, like it means the arcade cabinet which went out of production or whatever. Someone summarize that rear end for the benefit of everyone, will ya.

they could get the exact number because it's todd rogers personal collection

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

trying to jack off posted:

they could get the exact number because it's todd rogers personal collection

👌

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
My first PC and online multiplayer game was Warzone 2100, an RTS game by Pumpkin Studios, which used to be part of Eidos. It also had a PSX release.

It doesn't stand up to games like StarCraft or Red Alert, but it was a lot of fun for it was and I put a stupid number of hours into it in HS. One of the main tracks from it is burned into my brain: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lz6GuaoMCjQ

Fans petitioned Eidos to have the game's code made open-source, and it was released sometime around 2008. It's available on Steam now for free and one day I'll play through it again

whatis fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Dec 22, 2021

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I’m proud of what a lurker friendly thread concept this was. Nice work.

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

whatis posted:

My first PC and online multiplayer game was Warzone 2100, an RTS game by Pumpkin Studios, which used to be part of Eidos. It also had a PSX release.

It doesn't stand up to games like StarCraft or Red Alert, but it was a lot of fun for it was and I put a stupid number of hours into it in HS. One of the main tracks from it is burned into my brain: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lz6GuaoMCjQ

That's really good

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

whatis posted:

Fans petitioned Eidos to have the game's code made open-source, and it was released sometime around 2008. It's available on Steam now for free and one day I'll play through it again

ive played some of that, its neat. i love early rts games lol. lots of experimenting in the genre until microsoft closed ensemble and starcraft ended up being the only one with good netcode

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Not sure if it's obscure or not but Liero.

Its a real time version of Worms made back in 98. It's basically a wholesale ripoff of Worms with some zany as gently caress weapons (even for Worms standards).

This game was basically what we would play in high school computing when we were supposed to be learning Visual Basic. The whole thing died a death when the school upgraded the computers and put software on them that allowed the teacher to see what we were doing.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

CyberPingu posted:

Not sure if it's obscure or not but Liero.

Its a real time version of Worms made back in 98. It's basically a wholesale ripoff of Worms with some zany as gently caress weapons (even for Worms standards).

This game was basically what we would play in high school computing when we were supposed to be learning Visual Basic. The whole thing died a death when the school upgraded the computers and put software on them that allowed the teacher to see what we were doing.

hell yeah those games were awesome. my high school lab computer had Scorched Earth and Sopwith installed, spent almost all my time in there playing them

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Bicyclops posted:

for some reason i remembered tim robbins being in that War of the Worlds but not tom cruise, lol. i remember it being fine when it came out. tom cruise is a nutcase but he's not a terrible actor all the time. i think his performance in rain man is pretty good.

Maybe you’re thinking of Top Gun where Robbins plays Tom’s RIO in the final dogfight because Goose died.

Speaking of, this is a fantastic game.

It’s OK as a flight sim, there were like 6 different campaigns, plus a training campaign where you’re at Top Gun. But the coolest part was that it used a lot of FMV and was fully acted, and for the time that stuff wasn’t bad. And that carried over into the missions, not just as cutscenes. They also got James Tolkan to reprise his role as Hondo. Overall a pretty unique experience as far as flight sims go, as they usually have no story whatsoever, except for stuff like Ace Combat, but that’s also not a flight sim.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
no one seemed to like Messiah or Exhumed but i loved those games as a kid!

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020
GUN on the PS2. Maybe not obscure as it sold fairly well but nobody talks about it anymore

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

JollyBoyJohn posted:

no one seemed to like Messiah or Exhumed but i loved those games as a kid!

I liked Call of Duty Modern Warfare (2019) as a kid and he’ll still do to this day.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Super Mario Bros. Lmfao

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Super Mario Bros. Lmfao

I play a lot of games and strangely never heard of this one? and nothing is coming up using google fu... ?

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Super Mario Bros. Lmfao

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Super Mario Bros. Lmfao

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

What a nerd

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Super Mario Bros. Lmfao

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

iggys reckin balls was one of my fav n64 games, there's never really been anything else that plays like it before or after. just a complete game design dead end. but its fun if you get the hang of the movement

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Negostrike posted:

What a nerd

don't! sign! your! posts!!!! :D

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Not the most obscure game but I absolutely loved this as a kid

Had an expansive mostly-open world, you gradually unlocked new playable characters with their own abilities (ie one of the guys could shrink down and access areas where he fought giant bugs etc), and you periodically piloted a giant robot and engaged in Gundam-style fights in first person

Released more than a year before Ocarina of Time, and I've always felt like it was incredibly underrated/under-discussed given how many concepts it managed to successfully execute in the era of very early 3D gameplay

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
Command and conquer renegade multiplayer loved that

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Food Boner posted:

There's a cryengine fan remake which is absolutely badass, but last I saw it's not very popular

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Larry Parrish posted:

There's a cryengine fan remake which is absolutely badass, but last I saw it's not very popular

on a weekend you could usually find one server that was full, but this was a few years ago. it’s a fantastic remake. The devs are making their own tiberian sun game in the same style.

I had this ds game called glory days 2 which was basically a side scrolling shooter where you were either a fighter plane or helicopter in this tug of war between two sides. You tried to support your team across the map by destroying enemy units as yours moved along. If you were the helicopter you could also pick up civilians and rescue them for money, or drop your own troops where you chose.

You would get money passively through capturing bunkers and you could use this to buy your own units.

It’s a simple concept presented quite well with a good degree of customization.

https://youtu.be/da05CGAJpkY

Cart Mountain
Nov 1, 2004

Food Boner posted:

hell yeah

AquariusDue
Feb 11, 2022

Septerra Core is definitely one of my favorite games, some of my fondest childhood memories is playing this with my dad.

It had some warts but otherwise the world-building and the fact that it was fully voice acted made it really cool for me at least.
Felt like a Western take on JRPGs and I think it's still a worthwhile game today if you have the patience for fetch quests.

Also the main menu theme still gives me goose bumps.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7KPG5PbdyU

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I remember it being a very mediocre JRPG which is still pretty good for a western dev of that era

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

how does it rate against Anachronox in terms of western developed JRPGs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Brass Hand posted:

GUN on the PS2. Maybe not obscure as it sold fairly well but nobody talks about it anymore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Frk5vCIrjns&t=60s