Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Shadow President was an early 90s simulation game where you are the US president near the start of the first gulf war while the USSR is still a concern. Your goal is to make the right decisions to be re-elected in four years. The game has many spreadsheets filled with economic data and diplomatic options.

In one of my first games I ended the embargo on Cuba which saw the US standard of living go up .01%. Then started sponsoring as many covert opts as I could to free the UK from their tyrannical monarchy and got caught immediately. Whenever things go downhill it’s easy to press the red button and let the nukes fly although in the game’s defense it’s never a winning strategy.

Surprisingly detailed and you have a cabinet of advisors trying to keep you on the right path, and it’s amusing to see the Secretary of State yell that strong winds from Canada have blown nuclear fallout into Wisconsin. The global scenarios could get odd fast, I checked a random YouTube and a guy lost after a coup sponsored by Japan successfully overthrew his regime. Not a masterpiece but fun to mess around with.
there was also a sequel, CYBERJUDAS, where the twist is that one of your advisers is a traitor trying to get you to gently caress up. i haven't played it but it's got some incredibly 90s graphics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Shadow President was an early 90s simulation game where you are the US president near the start of the first gulf war while the USSR is still a concern. Your goal is to make the right decisions to be re-elected in four years. The game has many spreadsheets filled with economic data and diplomatic options.

In one of my first games I ended the embargo on Cuba which saw the US standard of living go up .01%. Then started sponsoring as many covert opts as I could to free the UK from their tyrannical monarchy and got caught immediately. Whenever things go downhill it’s easy to press the red button and let the nukes fly although in the game’s defense it’s never a winning strategy.

Surprisingly detailed and you have a cabinet of advisors trying to keep you on the right path, and it’s amusing to see the Secretary of State yell that strong winds from Canada have blown nuclear fallout into Wisconsin. The global scenarios could get odd fast, I checked a random YouTube and a guy lost after a coup sponsored by Japan successfully overthrew his regime. Not a masterpiece but fun to mess around with.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Hyrax Attack! posted:

The Kins posted:

there was also a sequel, CYBERJUDAS, where the twist is that one of your advisers is a traitor trying to get you to gently caress up. i haven't played it but it's got some incredibly 90s graphics

this looks cool as hell

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
not on gog :negative:

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
it is absurdly easy to find old dos games that no one cares about anymoer on the internet. and then run them in dosbox

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
that's right, it's so easy that it's absurd

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
havent run dosbox in a trillion years, but hell, tonight may be the night

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
DOS games ftw. I swear I'm not 47 years old my family just never upgraded past Windows 3.1.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Lol yeah that’s the usual result of unprovoked nuclear war. There was another game over scenario of you got unpopular enough where bullets shattered the screen. I tried once to launch nukes against Vatican City but couldn’t find it on the map, dunno if it isn’t there or too tiny.

That game must have Battletoads ratios for “games started/games won.” I read how even when trying to play competently if you air strike Iraq and kill a Soviet observer it can provoke nuclear war.

The Kins posted:

Oh cool I haven’t played that.

mycophobia posted:

it is absurdly easy to find old dos games that no one cares about anymoer on the internet. and then run them in dosbox

Yup my non computer expert self was able to figure it out like 15 years ago.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

American McGay posted:

DOS games ftw. I swear I'm not 47 years old my family just never upgraded past Windows 3.1.
I think "rebooting in ms-dos mode" to play most games was still the norm up through windows 95

either that or my family was poor

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Cubone posted:

I think "rebooting in ms-dos mode" to play most games was still the norm up through windows 95

either that or my family was poor

dos was still a pretty popular game platform up til the mid 90s before directx and stuff became more prevalent

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I think DOS games’ ambitions and often implementations are passionate and sincere and often quite epic and even impressive in light of the present day. I rarely walk away from one (that’s not just a hunk of poo poo. Obviously I mean the dos games worth checking out) thinking I wish it was made today even if it’s a little tedious UI wise or whatever. I wouldn’t trade that poo poo for whatever they would do to half the games if they were made today.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Wormskull posted:

I think DOS games’ ambitions and often implementations are passionate and sincere and often quite epic and even impressive in light of the present day. I rarely walk away from one (that’s not just a hunk of poo poo. Obviously I mean the dos games worth checking out) thinking I wish it was made today even if it’s a little tedious UI wise or whatever. I wouldn’t trade that poo poo for whatever they would do to half the games if they were made today.

Yeah I agree with this post. I think it’s because most DOS games were made by like 5 people at the most so most of them are passion projects instead of a focus grouped nightmare

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo
the original xcom was dos and that's probably one of the greatest games ever made. blows my mind that a game as old as i am can be that good. destructible procgen battlefields with a dynamic sandbox campaign based around a super tense combat engine, with rpg style progression for your dudes, in freaking 1994.

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

signalnoise posted:

Some dudes got up to some crazy poo poo like having a huge rotating platform that was nothing but like 4 cannons spaced out to have each shot use the previous shot's recoil to center the aim of the next one

Mechwarrior meets Kerbal Space Program is a permanent niche genre but in the best way

yeah if you tried to make like, a legit mech you'd get your cheeks clapped every other match by some gimmick build. i would do cheesy bullshit like stack 8 grenade launchers and wait behind terrain or buildings to ambush people. used the fastest wheelbase because getting hit once would kill me anyways.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Wormskull posted:

Yeah this is so true. So much love went into that stuff. The DOS military sims Sid Meier made for Microprose are all time classics.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Muscle Wizard posted:

the original xcom was dos and that's probably one of the greatest games ever made. blows my mind that a game as old as i am can be that good. destructible procgen battlefields with a dynamic sandbox campaign based around a super tense combat engine, with rpg style progression for your dudes, in freaking 1994.

Oh yeah that owned. Wasn’t there a glitch where no matter the difficulty selected it would be hard mode?

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Oh yeah that owned. Wasn’t there a glitch where no matter the difficulty selected it would be hard mode?

iirc in the first xcom the glitch was any difficulty selected would be easy mode, and they got so much feedback about how easy the game was that they made xcom 2 insanely hard.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

loading a save changed the difficulty to easy

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Oh cool that’s why the polish guy does save less runs.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

North & South on NES. Game about the US civil war based on a Belgian comic, from a French publisher, by a Japanese dev team. You pick a side and a starting year which impacts difficulty as the CSA will have an easier time in 1861 rather than 1864, and win by reducing your opponent’s troops to zero.

The game’s map screen allows you to move your armies from state to state with the goal of holding forts, as at the end of turns a train goes from fort to fort delivering money allowing for more troops. If you move onto an unoccupied state it’s yours, but a defended state means battle time.

During a battle you have cannon, cavalry, and riflemen moving in real time, and you could switch who you controlled at any time. Cannon can shoot across the map and can wreck bridges but have limited ammo and can’t move from the side of the screen. Cavalry are fast but only attack with swords and can’t move backwards after they’ve begun to charge. Riflemen are your core units but are slow. The maps were fantastic for the era as a bridge would help you reach the enemy but could be wrecked, and force you to use a narrow crossing. Horses who lost their riders would run off the map, barns and trees could be wrecked, guys falling into rivers and canyons had their own sound effects.

On the campaign map if you attacked a fort it switched to side scrolling mode as one guy would try to reach the flag as the enemy spawned and tried to stop him. The commando couldn’t die but could run out of time, and hilariously if he punched a defender they’d fly to the moon. If one of your armies was in the way of an enemy train it would be great robbery time as the commando tried to reach the engineer car.

The game had a ton of strategy and flavor. Park units too far west and they may perish at the hands of Indians or Mexican raiders. Control a port city at the right time and a foreign power drops off a friendly army. Surround a territory and it’s yours without need for a fort raid. Army damage was persistent but they could be reinforced.

Lots of little details were fun, like a winning screen for the CSA chiding you for not reading your history books. 2 player could be amazingly tense as you had to carefully move your riflemen while watching for cannon fire. Even without a second player the AI was a challenge on high difficulty. Definitely a top NES game for me.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Hyrax Attack! posted:

North & South on NES.
I distinctly remember renting this game multiple times when I was a kid but I've gone back and tried to watch videos of it and I don't remember a drat thing. I would have been way too young to understand barely anything about the gameplay but something about it must have made me keep renting it.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I think The Bard's Tale 4 is really good if you know what you're in for and you are the right audience. The combat is part slide puzzle, part jrpg, but in a good way, but not in a way that makes turn based, menu driven combat good, if you get what I mean. It's passable and you'll break it eventually with a super squad. The game's definitely not for everyone because the strong point is niche, but if it hits you, it hits you good. Basically, puzzles are everything in that game, and everything is a puzzle. When you're exploring, puzzles are out there in the world and you just discover them. Sometimes they're riddles, sometimes they're logic puzzles. If you're in a dungeon, rooms will be filled with logic puzzles that take up entire walls, and to upgrade your weapons once you get the maximum rarity kind you want, you inspect the thing and find out it is made of puzzles. That's right, the handle will be some kind of rotation-based puzzle or something, the hilt or blade might need some kind of melody played on it, etc.

It's a cool first person dungeon crawler version of professor layton in a way and I think that's just neat.

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

North & South was a good fallback rental for my brother and me if we couldn’t decide on anything. Same with General Chaos for the Genesis which played sort of the same way.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Hyrax Attack! posted:

North & South on NES. Game about the US civil war based on a Belgian comic, from a French publisher, by a Japanese dev team.
kemco did a lot of ports of western computer games to the nes. you probably know of their nes versions of Shadowgate, Uninvited and Deja Vu.

the one i like most is Rescue: The Embassy Mission, a game where you control a crack four-man counter-terror squad attempting to infiltrate and clear out an embassy taken over by terrorists. it's played out in multiple stages, ranging from a side-scrolling stealth game where you get your snipers into position around the building, a sniping mini-game to pre-emptively take out some of the terrorists, a weird rappelling mini-game you'll probably fail the first time you play, and a rough grid-based FPS when you're in the building itself. i don't think there's anything else like it on the nes, worth giving a quick shot

The Kins fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Dec 13, 2021

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

The Kins posted:

kemco did a lot of ports of western computer games to the nes. you probably know of their nes versions of Shadowgate, Uninvited and Deja Vu.

the one i like most is Rescue: The Embassy Mission, a game where you control a crack four-man counter-terror squad attempting to infiltrate and clear out an embassy taken over by terrorists. it's played out in multiple stages, ranging from a side-scrolling stealth game where you get your snipers into position around the building, a sniping mini-game to pre-emptively take out some of the terrorists, a weird rappelling mini-game you'll probably fail the first time you play, and a rough grid-based FPS when you're in the building itself. i don't think there's anything else like it on the nes, worth giving a quick shot

That sounds pretty radical, like the Iranian embassy siege thing.

I dunno if it would be considered ignored or obscure amongst IZ people, but “Uplink: The Hacker Elite” is one of my favorite games ever. It’s the first game made by the guys who did “Darwinia/Multiwinia” and “DEFCON”. The gameplay is a “simulation” so to speak of the type hacking you would see in early 1990s movies like Hackers or Jurassic Park. Blackmailing megacorps and stealing from the government while trying to leave no trace and get out before getting caught. Very fun game. Oh yeah, and the soundtrack is perfect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfasjHG_Bng

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Samuel Glompers posted:

Escape Velocity and EV: Override managed to make gaming on a mac in the brutal OS 9 days feel like less than absolute poverty. Overhead open worldspace shooter where you could go around being a merchant marine, upgrading your ship, siding with different political factions, discovering alien worlds, it owned. Too much for my miniscule child mind to handle though, never really understand what was happening

What I did understand was that it was shareware, and after 30 days a totally overpowered guy would show up and stomp your rear end. But the devs had true gamer's honour, and you could actually escape him and it seemed like you could defeat him too, which just made it more fun, living in fear of the shareware license man (yes I tried turning back the system clock it didn't work)

What worked for me: using ResEdit to change his ship from a dangerous Rapier to an unarmed Shuttle. :twisted:

his name is Capn Hector, by the way, and he's named after a parrot who used to live in the game dev's office building.

Hector the parrot turned out to be a female (they didn't know until she laid an egg), and she's still alive and well as of February 2020 https://www.petmomma.co/2020/02/14/hector-blah-blah-blah/

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

Julius CSAR posted:

That sounds pretty radical, like the Iranian embassy siege thing.

I dunno if it would be considered ignored or obscure amongst IZ people, but “Uplink: The Hacker Elite” is one of my favorite games ever. It’s the first game made by the guys who did “Darwinia/Multiwinia” and “DEFCON”. The gameplay is a “simulation” so to speak of the type hacking you would see in early 1990s movies like Hackers or Jurassic Park. Blackmailing megacorps and stealing from the government while trying to leave no trace and get out before getting caught. Very fun game. Oh yeah, and the soundtrack is perfect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfasjHG_Bng

uplink is so good. loved doing jobs for people and then sending their money to my account anyway.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
my pick for this thread: another old Mac shareware game Exile 2: The Crystal Souls. It's an ultima style RPG

This one was actually the first shareware game i paid for. The Exile dev would let you play a significant chunk of the campaign before demanding payment to unlock the rest.

In this one, it starts out normal, but then your party gets lost in a vast network of alien subterranean rivers, battered and hungry with no way back. In this sorry state, and with no help on the way, you have to find the alien bastards who are killing your people and somehow convince them to stop.

Really captured a sense of adventure for me when i played it, i had to register it just to see how it all turns out.

That dev is still making games today, and we have a thread for them here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3537468

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Someone made a spiritual successor to Uplink called Hacker Evolution or something but it seemed unfinished last time I played it.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

yeah Uplink is awesome, it's still the best hacking game ever I think. Hacknet is very good too but it doesn't give me the same sense of satisfaction for some reason

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Uplink is tense as gently caress as you’re trying exit the system cleanly and the security programs begin closing in. Love it.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Short Circuit for the Apple II. Basically a maze game, the world's about to explode and you have to shrink down to electron size and disarm twelve microchips. Each microchip has three batteries with 3-digit counters on them that are continually counting down, touching one battery would transfer its power to the other two. If a battery went over 1000 it would overload, if you touched it before it counted down to 1000 (zero) you disarmed the microchip.

You move through the chips along wires, you can jump to adjacent wires by moving while holding down the button and you're invulnerable while jumping. Enemies are neutrons bouncing around the chip, running into one of them drains 300-500 volts from one battery. There's also a fuse in each level that you need to touch to "reverse" every couple of minutes. You fail if (1) you touch five neutrons, (2) all batteries drain, or (3) you let the fuse ignite. If you fail three times the earth explodes.

It was a cool game! I always liked these kinds of 8-bit computer games that had sophisticated design for the time but would never come out on console because they looked and sounded like they were programmed by one dude, which they were.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
80’s and 90’s Mac gaming FTW

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
just remembered this game i played obsessively on my psp

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Julius CSAR posted:

80’s and 90’s Mac gaming FTW

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Rocky's Boots!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

The Kins posted:

i played the poo poo out of the dos version, but its such a short game i would have been pissed if i saved up and paid full price for it as a kid