Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'd like to renominate two Hammer/Amicus guys that didn't make the cut last time, Freddie Francis and Roy Ward Baker.

Edit: Throw Terence Fisher in there as well, I didn't even think of him because I thought he'd used a lot of his films already but he's still got plenty left.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Dec 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

A straight renom, no additions required.

Revenge of the Cat People (Robert Wise and Jacques Tourneur)

I threw this team together on the fly last year just because I liked both directors, but I’m renomming it because I really want to see some 40s representation in this thing after the decade pulled a goose egg last year. So it will probably draw a film not in that decade. At least there’s no Audrey Rose.

1. The Haunting by Robert Wise
2. Curse of the Cat People by Robert Wise
3. The Body Snatcher by Robert Wise
4. A Game of Death by Robert Wise
5. Cat People by Jacques Tourneur
6. Curse of the Demon by Jacques Tourneur
7. The Leopard Man by Jacques Tourneur
8. The Comedy of Terrors by Jacques Tourneur

I feel like maybe Tourneur should get his own spot as a director? Cuz there's also I Walked With A Zombie and War-Gods of the Deep, and then a handful of thrillers that might work. Or add those two horror movies to this team?

EDIT: I'm nominating M. Night Shyamalan.

The Sixth Sense
The Village
Signs
The Visit
Old
The Happening
Lady In The Water
Split

I don't know if Unbreakable, Glass or After Earth should be considered because I haven't seen them.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Dec 1, 2021

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Double posting, because I have a question.

So, for re-nominating teams, I would like to bring back Femme Fatale (Claire Denis, Amy Holden Jones, Mary Harron, Antonia Bird, Julia Ducournau, & Agnieszka Smoczyńska)

There are three films left on the spreadsheet from this team, so really it's Amy Holden Jones, Antonia Bird and Agnieszka Smoczyńska. (The films are Slumber Party Massacre, Ravenous, and The Lure, respectively.)

Since Ducournau has a new film worth talking about, Titane, that bumps it up to 4 films. Teams need six.

I have ideas to fill out the last two spots, but I'm curious if I can just do that now, or if I have to wait until December 4th, because technically it will be half an old team, half a new team.

What do we think, fam?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Filling spots in renominated teams with <6 films has to wait until the 4th

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

STAC Goat posted:

Important Dates
Subject to change
  • Now: Any teams from last year can be renominated. New films from existing directors can be added, but no new directors.
  • You can nominate a director with 6 or more films at any time.
  • Dec 4th noon EST: Any new teams can be nominated. New directors can also be added to old teams. You can only nominate/update a team every 12 hours.

Here's the relevant bit from the Goat's mouth

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea it does make sense to do it that way because you have directors who are gonna be very appealing options for a lot of people to add to their teams and you want to have the 1 nomination per 12 hours rule in place for that because otherwise it'll come down to whoever gets to post first and nabs all the good ones. Like for example, Soavi will need to be combined with another director to form a team but he's gonna be a valuable addition to any team based on the films he has left.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Excellent. Thank you for being keen-eyed readers of the rules for me.

I think my choices for Femme Fatale Too will be safe, since the team relies on a lot of one-and-done female filmmakers.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Franchescanado posted:

Thank you STAC Goat for PMing me that this is back.

I'm re-nominating two teams:

Team Rule Breaker (Ant Timpson, Jim Hosking, Harmony Korine, Nicolas Winding Refn), because it only got one movie last time, I think.

They have 5 films listed so you'd need to add at least one director/movie. But for now the rest of the team is safe.

Franchescanado posted:

Double posting, because I have a question.

So, for re-nominating teams, I would like to bring back Femme Fatale (Claire Denis, Amy Holden Jones, Mary Harron, Antonia Bird, Julia Ducournau, & Agnieszka Smoczyńska)

There are three films left on the spreadsheet from this team, so really it's Amy Holden Jones, Antonia Bird and Agnieszka Smoczyńska. (The films are Slumber Party Massacre, Ravenous, and The Lure, respectively.)

Since Ducournau has a new film worth talking about, Titane, that bumps it up to 4 films. Teams need six.

I have ideas to fill out the last two spots, but I'm curious if I can just do that now, or if I have to wait until December 4th, because technically it will be half an old team, half a new team.

What do we think, fam?

Yeah, as they said the idea here is to give you a chance to reserve your team from last year without anyone breaking it up, but not give you an advantage adding new directors before everyone else can add them to theirs. We have a set start time and the 12 hour clock so everyone can get a chance to play.

So Femme Fatale is safe with its three existing films and Titane, since you had Ducournau on the team already. Dec 4th at noon EST you can add more (we expanded the teams so you only need 6 but you can go to 10 if you like). But you'll also have to decide if you want to prioritize them or another team because you'll have to wait 12 hours for the next nomination and omeone lse could come in during that wait, especially if you have highly coveted directors/movies.

It seemed the fairest way to do to me and also created a kind of draft fun.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Franchescanado posted:

I feel like maybe Tourneur should get his own spot as a director? Cuz there's also I Walked With A Zombie and War-Gods of the Deep, and then a handful of thrillers that might work. Or add those two horror movies to this team?

I Walked With a Zombie got burned in the first tournament but I'll add War Gods of the Deep. I don't know the other ones but I'm willing to add them and separate the two if we think that's fairest.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its December 3rd so REMINDER that nominations being at Noon EST Dec 4th. For now people can continue to renom their teams from last year if able. Come Noon EST Dec 4th (roughly 34 hours from now) anyone can nominate any team. You can reup those teams from last year with new directors/films or nominate new teams from scratch. After you make a nomination you'll have to wait 12 hours before making another one, so you'll have to strategize and prioritize in case someone takes off your board. If your nom is ineligible then you can renom and as long as its the same team you don't have to start a new 12 hour clock.

This is all intended to try and make this as fun and fair as possible and give everyone an equal chance to make nomination instead of spamming noms. You all know the time so you don't have to wait for me to say Go so even I don't have an edge.

Nominations begin at noon EST on Dec 4th

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

12 1/2 hours until team nominations are open.

NOON EST, Dec 4th You don't have to wait for me to say "go".

You can nominate any eligible directors not already on teams.

You must use all their horror films. If there's disagreement over if their films are horror or not we work it out in thread.

Your team must have at least 6 films, but once you get to 10 you should stop. There's some wiggle room but try not to horde stuff and keep it from other teams and a better chance to be drawn.

You can find the nominees here as well as a list of past nominees, their used films, and remaining films.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10sOMfyMvaC198kn3zvSTZNfF9E4PRren3hy9BOjWk4A/edit?usp=sharing

After you make a nomination you have to wait 12 hours before your next one. If you have to resolve some problem with a nomination but don't add a new director then your clock doesn't restart.

Try not to edit your nomination post. If there's some kind of conflict like two people nominating the same director but the first person having edited their post... lets just not mess with that, right? Just double post if you made a mistake or something so there's no confusion.

And most importantly, this is supposed to be fun. Its a competition so we can get lost in it, and I'm as guilty as anyone of sometimes getting too focused on rules. But lets all try and have fun and be friendly and cooperative. The goal is to watch movies together, not win anything real.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

You can now nominate teams, once every 12 hours.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

From a far away land Debbie nominates…

Team Easy, Sleazy, Japanesey

1. Tetsuro Takeuchi - Wild Zero
2. Gen Sekiguchi - Survive Style 5+
3. Ujicha - Violence Voyager
4. Ujicha - The Burning Buddha Man
5. Shinichiro Ueda - One Cut of the Dead
6. Mika Ninagawa - Helter Skelter

And from right here I nominate…

The Magical Muppet Wizardry of Jim Henson (and Friends) (Jim Henson, Frank Oz, Joe Dante, Kirk R. Thatcher, Jon Bristol, Karl Holt, Kevin Lewis, and Bill Watterson)

Its my very first co-sponsored Letterboxd List/Bracketology team! See I don’t just make goofy themed Bracketology teams once a year, I make goofy themed Letterboxd lists all year. I encouraged we get more creative with team building other auteurs so this is my first go and of course I have a Muppet list. Jim Henson was a wizard and he had an under appreciated creepy sense sometimes but he doesn’t quite have a ton of horror movies or anything. Its Labyrinth now. But hey, a Muppet Haunted House film? Now we have an idea. And Jim had a lot of friends and people who helped him so how about we bring Frank Oz and Joe Dante in on this for some puppet work with plants or gremlins or fish? And to round out the team how about some puppet slashers? Tell me that stuff wasn’t inspired by Muppets and Sesame Street as much as Jason and Chucky. Wizards work in mysterious ways and Jim Henson is gonna work some magic on Bracketology.

1. Labyrinth by Jim Henson
2. Muppets Haunted Mansion by Kirk R. Thatcher
3. Jim Henson's Turkey Hollow by Kirk R. Thatcher
4. Little Shop of Horrors by Frank Oz
5. The Stepford Wives by Frank Oz
6. Gremlins by Joe Dante
7. Piranha by Joe Dante
8. Head by Jon Bristol
9. Benny Loves You by Karl Holt
10. Dave Made a Maze by Bill Watterson

twernt
Mar 11, 2003

Whoa whoa wait, time out.
So here's my first team for the Spook-A-Doodle Bracketology Tournament & Movie Club '22.

Basically, November was my favorite film from the October Challenge, so I decided to build a team around it.

Hey folks, it's folk horror!

1. The White Reindeer (1952) by Erik Blomberg
2. Viy (1967) by Georgiy Kropachyov, Konstantin Ershov
3. Marketa Lazarová (1967) by František Vláčil
4. Witchhammer (1970) by Otakar Vávra
5. Robin Redbreast (1970) by James MacTaggart
6. Celia (1989) by Ann Turner
7. Hagazussa (2017) by Lukas Feigelfeld
8. November (2017) by Rainer Sarnet
9. Errementari: The Blacksmith and the Devil (2017) by Paul Urkijo
10. The Other Lamb (2019) by Małgorzata Szumowska

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Revenge of Predation

Directors:
Jonathan Demme
Taika Waititi
Henri-Georges Clouzot
Cristóbal León & Joaquín Cociña
Hideaki Anno
Philip Kaufman

Films:
The Silence of the Lambs
What We Do In The Shadows
Diabolique
The Wolf House
Shin Godzilla
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)

I'm currently away from home with unreliable internet access so if anyone wants to call bullshit on my picks then please allow me until late on Sunday to respond

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I said during Scream Stream I should nominate him, so here's my picks for Danny Boyle

Shallow Grave
28 Days Later…
Sunshine
The Beach
Frankenstein
Trance

I know one or two might be skirting the line; I won't be able to respond until much later today, but if there's thread consensus on taking one off I'll adjust it/add to the team.

I also don't know if his early TV movies (in particular 1989's "The Night Watch") count, and that one seems to be only available in the UK so I left it off.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Nominating David DeCoteau's horror filmography.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Team Femme Fatale Returns

The Directors:

Amy Holden Jones
Antonia Bird
Julia Ducournau
Agnieszka Smoczyńska
Prano Bailey-Bond
Debra Brock
Nia DaCosta
Rose Glass
Coralie Fargeat,
Lynne Ramsay

The Films

Slumber Party Massacre
Ravenous
Titane
The Lure
Censor
Slumber Party Massacre 2
Candyman
Saint Maud
Revenge
We Need To Talk About Kevin

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Franchescanado posted:

The Directors:

Amy Holden Jones
Antonia Bird
Julia Ducournau
Agnieszka Smoczyńska
Prano Bailey-Bond
Debra Brock
Nia DaCosta
Rose Glass
Coralie Fargeat,
Lynne Ramsay

The Films

Slumber Party Massacre
Ravenous
Titane
The Lure
Censor
Slumber Party Massacre 2
Candyman
Saint Maud
Revenge

Saint Maude is actually on my Ladies Night team (but I was gonna drop it so go ahead and keep it) but damnit! I knew I should have renomed XX to save Revenge! My entire Ladies Night/XX merger is dead! My draft board is on fire!

Skywarps Hat
Sep 6, 2007
Skywarp has a nice hat.

Team Ninjers, and their Ninjitsu: Godfrey Ho Horror films

1) Zombie vs. Ninja
2) Robo Vampire
3) Zodiac America 2: Evil Destroyer
4) Crocodile Fury
5) Devil's Dynamite
6) Ninja: The Violent Sorceror
7) The Vampire Is Still Alive
8) Maruta 2: Laboratory of the Devil
9) Scorpion Thunderbolt
10) The Vampire Raiders
11) Thunder of Gigantic Serpent
12) Crackdown Mission
13) Thunder Ninja Kids: Hunt for the Devil Boxer

There might be some more depending on what you want to count as horror in his 150+ movies, but I think I've got the ones that most clearly 'horror' here.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

To be clear, and this is some confusion I kind of realized might be happening and blame myself for... you can nominate a solo director at any time with no limit or clock. If they have 6 films you can nominate as many as you like. The clock is only for teams of 2 or more directors.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

Saint Maude is actually on my Ladies Night team (but I was gonna drop it so go ahead and keep it) but damnit! I knew I should have renomed XX to save Revenge! My entire Ladies Night/XX merger is dead! My draft board is on fire!

Thank you!

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Czech This Out - Czechoslovakian new wave with Jan Svankmajer, Juraj Herz and a guest appearance of Jaromil Jires.

Passage (1997)
The Ninth Heart (1979)
Panna a netvor (1978)
The Cremator (1969)
Alice (1988)
Lunacy (2005)
Little Otik (2000)
Faust (1994)
Valerie and Her Week of Wonders (1970)

edit: apologizing in advance for my bad team names

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I was almost tempted to be petty and hold it hostage for Revenge. Losing that is killing me. The anguish of the draft.

Also I'm nominating Roger Corman because I keep forgetting and he has enough movies he can't us for a team.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Dec 4, 2021

twernt
Mar 11, 2003

Can we also have Lucio Fulci back? It looks like he still has a bunch of titles left.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Koji still has enough titles right?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Kôji Shiraishi has been nominated. If there's another Koji I dunno who.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Nominating Charles Band's horror filmography.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

Kôji Shiraishi has been nominated. If there's another Koji I dunno who.

Apologies! Was just out n about and the thought occurred

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Darthemed posted:

Nominating Charles Band's horror filmography.

You're doing this on purpose, right?

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Have we had a Ted Nicolaou entry before? If not I nominate him. Even though I've only seen 2 of his movies and know nothing about him I just want to nominate somebody :shobon:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

12 hours has passed...

From a magical land Debbie nominates…

Family Friendly 2: poo poo Just Got Friendlier

1. Hayao Miyazaki - Princess Mononoke
2. Henry Selick - Coraline
3. Henry Selick - The Nightmare Before Christmas
4. Nick Park - Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit
5. Barry Sonnenfeld - The Addams Family
6. Barry Sonnenfeld - Addams Family Values
7. Sam Fell/Chris Butler - ParaNorman

And from my devastated draft board I nominate…

Ladies Night XX (Anna Biller, Karyn Kusama, Emerald Fennell, Natalie Erika James, Jill Gevargizian, Natalia Leite, Małgorzata Szumowska, and Natasha Kermani)

Last season I had a very simple goal. Find the standout recent films from women, spread them around, and try and add more diversity to the tournament. Ladies Night was the certain success of the bunch making it to the Sweet Sixteen and making me proud. So the plan was to come back strong in their second season with a revamped, bulked up, top notch roster of films reinforced by the best of stuff that’s come out since and the best from my other teams like XX. And then I chose to wait to draft them and the team was decimated by others’ picked. Most importantly was Coralle Fargeat’s Revenge, one of the films that really inspired this team for me and one that simply got placed on the wrong team and left unprotected. And that devastated me.

And with the rest of the team getting used up last season or stolen in the draft all that was left from my favorite team last season was Anna Billers. But I bring Karyn Kusama in from XX and fill out the team are some high profile, well received new names in Emerald Fennell and Natalie Erika James as well as some lower profile wild card picks. This team isn’t the powerhouse I hoped it would be and I can only blame myself for that, but in the end I never was interested in building powerhouse super teams and maybe this is truer to what the team started as. A collection of women who stand out in recent horror with their own style and voice and maybe they can make another run.

1. The Love Witch by Anna Biller
2. The Invitation by Karyn Kusama
3. Promising Young Woman by Emerald Fennell
4. Relic by Natalie Erika James
5. The Stylist by Jill Gevargizian
6. M.F.A. by Natalia Leite
7. Lucky by Natasha Kermani
8. Evolution by Lucile Hadžihalilović
9. Woodshock by Kate Mulleavy and Laura Mulleavy
10. Amulet by Romola Garai

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
There's Something About the Military-Industrial Authority Complex
1. Scanner Cop (1994; dir. Pierre David)
2. Alien³ (1992; dir. David Fincher)
3. Doom (2005; dir. Andrzej Bartkowiak)
4. Dracula Untold (2014; dir. Gary Shore)
5. Species (1995; dir. Roger Donaldson)
6. Hollow Man 2 (2006; dir. Claudio Fäh)
7. Maniac (1980; dir. William Lustig)
8. Maniac Cop (1988; dir. William Lustig)
9. Relentless (1989; dir. William Lustig)
10. Uncle Sam (1996; dir. William Lustig)

twernt
Mar 11, 2003

Now that I've got my clock reset to a more reasonable time, I can nominate my potential super team.

Spooky Swinging Sixties

1. Peeping Tom (1960) by Michael Powell
2. Mother Joan of the Angels (1961) by Jerzy Kawalerowicz
3. Carnival of Souls (1962) by Herk Harvey
4. The Demon (1963) by Brunello Rondi
5. Kwaidan (1964) by Masaki Kobayashi
6. Onibaba (1964) by Kaneto Shindō
7. Wait Until Dark (1967) by Terence Young
8. Hour of the Wolf (1968) by Ingmar Bergman
9. A Quiet Place in the Country (1968) by Elio Petri
10. Kuroneko (1968) by Kaneto Shindō

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I'd like to pick up Remi Weekes for Brutal Brits please. That will add His House to that team bringing it up to 6

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

twernt posted:

Now that I've got my clock reset to a more reasonable time, I can nominate my potential super team.

Spooky Swinging Sixties

1. Peeping Tom (1960) by Michael Powell
2. Mother Joan of the Angels (1961) by Jerzy Kawalerowicz
3. Carnival of Souls (1962) by Herk Harvey
4. The Demon (1963) by Brunello Rondi
5. Kwaidan (1964) by Masaki Kobayashi
6. Onibaba (1964) by Kaneto Shindō
7. Wait Until Dark (1967) by Terence Young
8. Hour of the Wolf (1968) by Ingmar Bergman.
9. A Quiet Place in the Country (1968) by Elio Petri
10. Kuroneko (1968) by Kaneto Shindō

Peeping Tom is gone I'm afraid, used up by Predation this year. I think both Kwaidan and Onibaba might be gone too, check the Letterboxd list linked in the OP

e: mother Joan too, it was in the Polish team this year. Sorry!

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Franchescanado posted:

The Directors:

Amy Holden Jones
Antonia Bird
Julia Ducournau
Agnieszka Smoczyńska
Prano Bailey-Bond
Debra Brock
Nia DaCosta
Rose Glass
Coralie Fargeat,
Lynne Ramsay

The Films

Slumber Party Massacre
Ravenous
Titane
The Lure
Censor
Slumber Party Massacre 2
Candyman
Saint Maud
Revenge

You Were Never Really Here feels about as horror/horrific as Kevin, to me. Not something I'd dig my heels in over (and I'm extremely happy to have Lynne Ramsay in the tournament, she's an incredible director) but they almost feel like companion pieces to me.

e: blimey, a triple post, I'm sorry!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Tarnop posted:

You Were Never Really Here feels about as horror/horrific as Kevin, to me. Not something I'd dig my heels in over (and I'm extremely happy to have Lynne Ramsay in the tournament, she's an incredible director) but they almost feel like companion pieces to me.

e: blimey, a triple post, I'm sorry!

It’s as much an anti-thriller or post-modern minimal thriller as it is a thriller, that I just didn’t really feel it fit in as “horror”. It IS scary in ways, and it’s absolutely horrific, but it also doesn’t get a horror label while Kevin does.

If others would like to include YWNRH, I’m willing to swap it for Revenge. It’s certainly a movie worth watching and discussing. And it’s got one of the best scores in the past decade.

twernt
Mar 11, 2003

Tarnop posted:

Peeping Tom is gone I'm afraid, used up by Predation this year. I think both Kwaidan and Onibaba might be gone too, check the Letterboxd list linked in the OP

e: mother Joan too, it was in the Polish team this year. Sorry!

Oh no! I thought I checked everything. Would anyone object if I nominated a completely different team in its place while I sort this out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

twernt posted:

Oh no! I thought I checked everything. Would anyone object if I nominated a completely different team in its place while I sort this out?

No objection from me