Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skywarps Hat
Sep 6, 2007
Skywarp has a nice hat.

Team Ninjers, and their Ninjitsu: Godfrey Ho Horror films

1) Zombie vs. Ninja
2) Robo Vampire
3) Zodiac America 2: Evil Destroyer
4) Crocodile Fury
5) Devil's Dynamite
6) Ninja: The Violent Sorceror
7) The Vampire Is Still Alive
8) Maruta 2: Laboratory of the Devil
9) Scorpion Thunderbolt
10) The Vampire Raiders
11) Thunder of Gigantic Serpent
12) Crackdown Mission
13) Thunder Ninja Kids: Hunt for the Devil Boxer

There might be some more depending on what you want to count as horror in his 150+ movies, but I think I've got the ones that most clearly 'horror' here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skywarps Hat
Sep 6, 2007
Skywarp has a nice hat.

Another nom:

Team Vampires and Coke

1) The Hunger - Tony Scott
2) The Keep - Michael Mann
3) Vamp - Richard Wenk
4) My Best Friend is a Vampire - Jimmy Huston
5) Once Bitten - Howard Storm
6) Vampire's Kiss - Robert Bierman
7) To Die For - Deran Sarafian
8) Vampire in Venice - Augusto Caminito

as well as these, which I have to include to be Bracketology-compliant
9) Wishcraft - Richard Wenk
10) Manhunter - Michael Mann
11) Final Exam - Jimmy Huston
12) Alien Predator - Deran Sarafian

Basically I wanted to explore how many directors were making vampire films in the 80s, including a number of directors fairly early in their careers who'd go on to do lots of other things not necessarily vampire related. There were a bunch I would have liked to include (The 2 Fright Night films, Waxwork, The Lost Boys, Lair of the White Worm), but those directors also did a lot more horror films (though not really about Vampires), which I guess is also an example of what I'm talking about.

Skywarps Hat
Sep 6, 2007
Skywarp has a nice hat.

Full disclosure, its my team in competition this round but...

Twisted Tales:

I had the same thought as Samfucius, "why is infidelity/betrayal a motivator in basically every all of these stories?". I watched a bunch of low-budget anthology horror films back in October, and I learned that as much as I want to give them a chance, I usually end up disappointed, expecting at least some novel ideas and not really finding any. This one came close in a couple places but ultimately I really didn't like it. And I mean no offense to Tom Holland, but he's done so much better work than this (I would have loved to put Fright Night on the competing team, as it was one of the films that came to mind in crystalizing the idea for my team). Even discounting the production quality (it was a web series from like 8 years ago), the performances are bad even by horror standards, the stories all have way too many twists and hooks with deeply unlikable characters and the end result feels far clumsier than it should be for Holland. Even if there's interesting concepts and setups in a few of the stories, the others rely on cliches and old horror tropes (and, of course, there's the constant drumbeat of toxic romantic partners). It's far too long, and the stories don't really feel like they come together in any meaningful way, maybe because the episodes of the 'web series' were never meant to.

Final Exam:

I was disappointed when the bracketology forces selected one of the films on my team WITHOUT vampires, but I was actually pleasantly surprised by this one. Not extremely pleasantly, but pleasantly. Final Exam started out strong, with an opening kill that, while cliche, is shot in a surprisingly solid way. After that (with the exception of an extremely wild event on campus in the first part of the film), it settles into this college movie about frat brothers and nerds that started out tolerable but dragged on for what felt like 2/3rds of the film. The characters are ok (Radish, the bookish nerd, is fun to watch, and his lines about how sometimes meaningless violence just happens is probably the closest the film gets to foreshadowing), but their college antics get old fast, and they aren't really why most of the audience came to a slasher film. On top of that, there's several moments with some pretty ugly social attitudes. It left me feeling like I was watching something like a Godfrey Ho film, with genre content used to bookend a completely unrelated film. Eventually the film remembers its a slasher again with enough time for a few more kills, and the cinematography on these seemed better than most slashers from this era with this budget (for example I really liked the one in the gym with the scoreboard). It all boils down to a somewhat ridiculous, but still fun chase between the final girl, the killer, and the sheriff with a bow and arrow. The final girl "makes sure" after the killer is stopped, which I always appreciate seeing, and then the film just ends with her weeping over a song that feels almost comedicly disconnected from the tone of the film at that moment. So it was enough to win me over at the start and end, but really dragged in the middle.

Final Exam's my choice for this round.