Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Aw yea, I haven't watched a spookadoodle in a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Well let's nominate some directors first, mostly to ruin the stats for Italy even more:

Michele Soavi
Claudio Fragasso
Sergio Martino
Bruno Mattei

Also these two:

M. Night Shyamalan
Hasan Karacadag

edit: If I want to re-nominate teams I can't make any edits to them yet, right?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Oops, messed up with Soavi - I guess he will be part of a team later on.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Human Lanterns has pretty graphic scalpings/murders by a serial killer, and Chinese Ghost Story is very clearly inspired by Evil Dead 2.
I also LOVE Big Trouble but never considered it horror, it's straight fantasy for me.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I really like High Rise and think it's horror enough fwiw

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Nominating Ngai Choi Lam

The Seventh Curse (1986)
The Cat (1992)
Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky (1991)
Xue mei gui (1988)
Bi gui zhuo (1986)
Liao zhai yan tan (1987)

Riki-Oh is horror adjacent enough with the gore and all, right?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
edit: hosed up

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Czech This Out - Czechoslovakian new wave with Jan Svankmajer, Juraj Herz and a guest appearance of Jaromil Jires.

Passage (1997)
The Ninth Heart (1979)
Panna a netvor (1978)
The Cremator (1969)
Alice (1988)
Lunacy (2005)
Little Otik (2000)
Faust (1994)
Valerie and Her Week of Wonders (1970)

edit: apologizing in advance for my bad team names

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

twernt posted:

Oh no! I thought I checked everything. Would anyone object if I nominated a completely different team in its place while I sort this out?

You might still be able to salvage the team. Bergman also has Persona for example, which absolutely counts as horror to me.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Trying to figure out my filipino team I came across Peque Gallaga who I would like to nominate just in case.

Shake, Rattle & Roll (1984)
Shake, Rattle & Roll 2 (1990)
Shake Rattle & Roll III (1991)
Shake Rattle & Roll IV (1992)
Tiyanak (1988)
Aswang (1992)

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Manhunter is also gonna crush most movies in the tournament :killdozer:

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Speaking of gimmick teams, here's Satan Satan Satan Satan Good Satan, Great Satan

Satan (1912) Luigi Maggi
Satan (1974) Metin Erksan
Satan (1991) Victor Aristov
Satan (2006) Kim Chapiron
Good Satan (2012) Sara Lohman
Great Satan (2018) Everything is Terrible

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I put way more thought and time into the Satan team than I should have, ultimately I went for maximum Satan.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I love how so many teams this time around have absolute standout movies next to total garbage.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Class3KillStorm posted:

Are we still letting people nominate teams? I had this idea kicking around for the last one but didn't get a chance to nominate anything before it was over.

Hell yeah, nominations are open until 14th of December! Keep em coming!

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
New day new team! This started out as an excuse to show Der Samurai to more people since it seemed absolutely up in the spookadoodle crew's alley. I'm being thematically lazy and just lumping together newish horror movies from Germany - some like Luz are absolute bangers, others like Hager are a respectable failures, and I hear Der Goldene Handschuh was specifically made to torture our dear Goat.

Neue Deutsche Filme

Der Samurai (2014) Till Kleinert
Lange Nacht (2009) Till Kleinert
Der Nachtmahr (2015) Akiz
Der Bunker (2015) Nikias Chryssos
Luz (2018) Tilman Singer
Der Goldene Handschuh (2019) Fatih Akin
Hager (2020) Kevin Kopacka
Dawn Breaks Behind the Eyes (2021) Kevin Kopacka

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I'm for extending the 12 hour clock period and also for giving Roy Ward Baker a spot.

Here's my next team by the way, keeping with the country theme: Fearsome Filipinos. Pretty much started out with me watching the quite awful Sigaw and trying to redeem the country in my eyes, then also coming across The Killing of Satan (dope name!) when planning my Satan team, plus the desire to watch Zombadings as recommended by a dear friend. Having seen exactly 0 movies from that list, I think it's quite diverse, covering faux documentaries about horror extras, Train to Busan parodies, gay zombie allegories and more.

The Killing of Satan (1983) Efren C. Piñon
Are you Afraid of the Dark (1994) Mark Reyes
Trip Ubusan: The Lolas vs Zombies (2017) Mark Reyes
Zombadings 1: Patayin sa shokot si Remington (2011) Jade Castro
Six Degrees of Separation from Lilia Cuntapay (2011) Antoinette Jadaone
Kill Barbara with Panic (1974) Celso Ad. Castillo
Snake Sisters (1984) Celso Ad. Castillo

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I feel like doing it before the vote would be fairer, specifically to avoid that a democratically determined team doesn't lose its spot.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Oh another director nomination, Fruit Chan. Really enjoyed his entry into Three Extremes, wanna see what he can do.

https://letterboxd.com/director/fruit-chan/genre/horror/

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Ayyy I haven't nominated in a while so here's Indonesian Insanity - with Tjut Djalil of Lady Terminator and Mystics in Bali representing the old and wacky, and Joko Anwar the very modern and slick output of the counry.

Pengabdi Setan (2017) Joko Anwar
Perempuan Tanah Jahanam (2019) Joko Anwar
Pintu terlarang (2009) Joko Anwar
Ritual (2012) Joko Anwar
Dead Time: Kala (2007) Joko Anwar
Skandal Iblis (1992) H. Tjut Djalil
Dangerous Seductress (1992) H. Tjut Djalil
Lady Terminator (1988) H. Tjut Djalil
Ratu buaya putih (1988) H. Tjut Djalil
Mystics in Bali (1981) H. Tjut Djalil
Ranjang Setan (1983) H. Tjut Djalil

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
More countries! Thailand! Thai Terror! This one started as an excuse to get people to watch the hilarious The Pool, then filling it up with other various directors - Sakdaphisit's Laddaland is definitely a reminder that every country in the world is capable of producing insanely boring tripe regardless of the location its filmed in.

Laddaland (2011) Sophon Sakdaphisit
Puen Tee Raluek (2017) Sophon Sakdaphisit
Fak wai nai gai thoe (2014) Sophon Sakdaphisit
Coming Soon (2008) Sophon Sakdaphisit
The Pool (2018) Ping Lumpraploeng
Shutter (2004) Banjong Pisanthanakun,
Alone (2007) Banjong Pisanthanakun,
Pee Mak (2013) Banjong Pisanthanakun,
The Medium (2021) Banjong Pisanthanakun,

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Doing 1 team/post to make it easier for poor Goat.

Here's a small and team with a great variety of entries, French Charcuterie Board with Christophe Gans and Pascal Laugier, who went from assisting Gans in Brotherhood of the Wolves to making one of the most important entries in the French New Extreme, Martyrs. Also features the surprisingly good Silent Hill and the quite bonkers Tall Man.

Silent Hill (2006) Gans
Brotherhood of the Wold (2001) Gans
Martyrs (2008) Laugier
Tall Man (2012) Laugier
Ghostland (2018) Laugier
House of Voices (2004) Laugier

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I'm on a rolllll. Next one is Uplifting Austrian Filmmaking featuring known feel-good directors Michael Haneke, Veronika Franz, Severin Fiala and Stefan Ruzowitzki. Featuring two Academy-award winning directors and family-fun classics such as Funny Games, a film bound to put you in such a good mood you'll want to watch it twice!

Funny Games (1997) Haneke
Funny Games US (2007) Haneke
Benny's Video (1992) Haneke
Cache (2005) Haneke
Anatomie (2000) Ruzowitzki
Anatomie 2 (2003) Ruzowitzki
Die Hoelle (2017) Ruzowitzki
Hinterland (2021) Ruzowitzki
Ich Seh ich She (Goodnight Mommy) (2014) Franz/Fiala
The Lodge (2019) Franz/Fiala

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Wayyy overthinking my nomination - what's a team that I really want to see but that might not make it?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Tarnop posted:

My council vote goes to Uplifting Austrian Filmmaking

Aw yea, y'all gonna have a great, wholesome time with this team!

twernt posted:

Aldo Lado was on MBD's Top Giallo Schmorgasboard team, but it looks like he never got drawn.

Happy to have my old team members remembered - I really didn't do the giallos justice this time around.

I suppose I'll go the easy route and vote for John Carpenter

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
More double/triple whatever posts to submit my last few teams. Here's another country-based team, Eerie Eire with Lorcan Finnegan (strong), Conor McMahon (ehhh) and Liam Gavin (unknown to me). I'd say as far as team name goes it's pretty good, and there's at least two movies in there that can give a lot of entries a run for their money.

Vivarium (2020) Lorcan Finnegan
Without Name (2017) Lorcan Finnegan
From the Dark (2014)  Conor McMahon
Stitches (2012)  Conor McMahon
Dead Meat (2004)  Conor McMahon
A Dark Song (2016) Liam Gavin

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
And another one that might actually be a quite high tier entry - Never Going to Australia, with Australian New Wave talents Colin Eggleston and Peter Weir, who later went on to direct Dead Poets Society, Truman Show, Master and Commander. Note that I left out a lot of good Australian movie making like Wake In Fright, which is incredible but also contains horrific scenes of real animal death - I know that's a weak spot for a lot of bracketologists and I don't actually want to traumatize them.

Picnic at Hanging Rock (1975) Peter Weir
The Cars That Ate Paris (1974) Peter Weir
The Plumber (1979) Peter Weir
The Last Wave (1977) Peter Weir
Long Weekend (1978) Colin Eggleston
Cassandra (1986) Colin Eggleston
Innocent Prey (1984) Colin Eggleston
The Wicked (1987) Colin Eggleston

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
So many choices, so many good teams!

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Does voting work again? Are we supposed to vote a second time if we've done it before?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Aye, got it. Also go to bed goat

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I am BURSTING with the urge to watch spookadoodles

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
John Carpenter losing to Team Trashfuck Goreface in round one

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Wow, quite a lot of teams that would seem like shoe-ins normally are missing here!
But my three strongest teams (Austria, Australia, Czechia) made it into the brackets.

Pretty sure Haneke & Co. have good chances against whoever makes it out of the three-way (probably my Indonesian team or the hit-and-miss Sister team, sorry King). Then it's up against either Vampires & Coke or Chunky. Do we still start with movie 1 if there's a series? Chunky 1 could probably beat whatever Vampire it comes up against, and while people like Chucky 2 I'm pretty lukewarm about it.

Australian New Wave has a good chance against the actor-director team, but there's some neat stuff in the latter and some obvious weakspots in the former so it's not a predetermined outcome.

Czech New Wave against Classic Universal? Dear lord, no idea!

3 more of my teams with movies that I really wanted to see (Satan, Indonesia, Philipines) into the play-ins. Exciting!

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Ah heck, missed the first round, alas. Good job Tim Burton, rip my team.

I didn't really like Delicatessen if I recall correctly but I definitely don't like Sion Sono and Trash Humpers is probably not a movie I'll enjoy.
Not a fan of Flanagan, and Blackcoats Daughter is basically the most generic of A24 horror to me. Impetigore is pretty good tho, so it's getting my vote unless Mike surprises me.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Trash Humpers Well, they do it, they hump trash. I went into the movie extremely cautious, expecting the worst, and it turns out that ultimately it’s a quite boring movie. It should have been Beavis & Butthead’s Chainsaw Massacre but it’s almost impressive in its restraint to not do anything really funny, disgusting or creepy.

Delicatessen Always having hard time with twee movies, either I love em or hate em. This one, at the end I still sort of found myself thinking it’s okay without going into any of the extremes. It’s a very good looking movie (although I’m not a fan of the colour palette), very well done overall, but it’s just missing a certain oomph.

The Forest of Love Now this has oomph to spare. Too much. If you ask me, Sion Sono is a more pervy, less thoughtful Takeshi Miike (imagine that!). His movies look great, there is a deranged energy in everything he does. His oogling of female characters is uncomfortable, especially in conjunction with how badly he treats them. He’s quite obviously a bad guy from the start. But I give him a chance. He’s sort of intriguing. Maybe he’s winning me over despite me sort of hating it? I could be on board with all that’s happening on screen, since it’s obviously just all a big joke. Haha ok well maybe this is good? But still, too much. No, I love it. Doing bad things on screen is fun. Doing bad screens off screen, is it fun? Depicting bad things from off screen on screen, is it fun? Yes? Are my thoughts on this movie just reflections of the thoughts that the protagonists go through? Yes? I’m voting for this.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Eyy, loving the drawing!

Basic reviews coming in:

Blackcoats Daughter is the rump of a stereotypical A24 horror without anything to make it stand out. The thing is shot competently, the music is exactly as you’d expect, nothing interesting happens and the movie overall is dreadfully boring to me. I got nothing to say except that I’m pleased about Perkin’s massive improvement in subsequent movies.

Impetigore IMPETIGORE! With a nonsensically metal name like that you’d except anything but that movie. The setting is delightfully foreign (to most) but the movie is comfortably familiar, yet still mixing up things well enough to keep you on your toes. I love the Indonesian sets, both rural and urban, I love the banter between the leads. Although do racoons exist in Indonesia? How can one stink like a dead one if they don’t live there? What is the real animal you’re talking about? Tell me about the animal you cowardly subtitlers! I love when the angry mob is told to “listen up” via the amazing phrase “BABABABAIDIBUP”. I have a clip of it and play it on my phone whenever I need cheering up. I don’t love that the movie sort of loses steam eventually, but it’s very solid overall.

Before I Wake drat it Mike Flanagan, you made a movie I genuinely like! It does the dark fantasy/magical realism/understanding the monster thing that Del Toro does so well, but actually doesn’t come off like aping him. There’s some really boring Muschietti-style jump scares that could have been left out, but I really like the Canker Man. More grey alien style spookadoodles please! Others disagree here, but the reveal of what is actually going on, at least for me, really made the movie and improved my opinion of it tremendously. I’m also a sucker for positive endings in my horrors, and this definitely scratched that itch. It's a comfortable, sweet watch, and drat it I might have to vote for Flanagan based on how it made me feel (it made me feel warm and fuzzy).

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Aw yea I was worried my team would lose, but I suppose me and Goat were actually the only ones voting for Flanagan. Sad that it's going to be up against my own team now, but at least one will go on.

Not seen any of the movies in this round except Shallow Grave, but I mostly forgot about that one.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Good Satan
I barely made it halfway through before having to stop. The first half of the movie in particular is just dire, a wannabe What We Do In The Shadows, really just going through the motions of imitating things without understanding why they’re funny. For example, why is there a camera team? I pretty much forgot about the premise a couple minutes into the movie, and so did the movie. The second half surprisingly picks up, there is an actual plot, there’s some jokes that work, and it is overall quite wholesome. If this had all been cut to last maybe 30 minutes it could have been at least adequate. Ah well, RIP my team.

The Bone Snatcher
Boring throughout, but the setting makes it almost impossible for the movie to not look good in the outdoor scenes. The monster is an absolute highlight and deserves to be in a much better movie. Everything else is completely forgettable. Why are they showing all these condoms twice if they never get used at all? Shameful.

Poor Pretty Eddy
I admittedly did not watch this cause it sounded like something I'd really not enjoy

Abstaining from this.

Shallow Grave. Immediately obvious that this is a Danny Boyle movie – energetic, humorous, british, dark. Loving the set design, monochromatic objects, a joy to look at. Everyone is charming and acting their assess off. The story itself, sadly, didn’t really grip me. I didn’t like anyone (not that it’s a necessity) and didn’t care about what happened to them. It’s entertaining, but I sort of wish it had been a different movie.

Son Of Dracula
If you want to convince someone that Universal Horror movies are still watchable today, you definitely shouldn’t choose this one. I could barely make myself pay attention to anything that was going on. Terrible Dracula, terrible waste of setting, I’m sorry 40’s horror but your stats are going to look even worse now.

The Woman
I love horror with incredibly blunt and obvious messages, and The Woman delivers that in spades. It takes a while to get going, long enough to make me wish that the movie would spend much more time with the sad daughter, but then things GET GOING. Immensely satisfying ending, could not have asked for more, then there’s an after credits short film that gives me more! Lovely. Also, weirdly horny for the teacher character, which seems very out of place overall.

Voting Woman.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
lol I love this thread, what a combination of movies

rip good satan, you were too bad for this world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
No joke I liked Twilight. This matchup is wiiiide open for me now!