Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

lol This rules

Part 2 starts with Ringo, Paul and George just putting Yoko on blast for the first 10 minutes saying how she's loving up the group

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I thought this was a thread about that weird dinosaur cartoon from the 90's, but that's We're Back.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

AHH F/UGH posted:

lol This rules

Part 2 starts with Ringo, Paul and George just putting Yoko on blast for the first 10 minutes saying how she's loving up the group

lol looking forward to watching it tonight

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

don Jaime posted:

She tried turning the tables by talking about an open marriage and she maybe having sex with another man, but he was agreeable. This is the lead up to the 18-month breakup.

iirc during this time john and paul were playing music together privately a lot and john was almost on the venus and mars album but then he got back together with yoko and that was the end of that

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Should've made a movie about All Things Must Pass. George is infinitely more cool than the other 3 combined.

George was in a band with Roy Orbison, Bob Dylan, Tom Petty, and in the Beatles. George wins.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Bro you wanna talk Travelling Wilburys bro? I’ll fuckin do it bro.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

thanks! this is a really good breakdown. i feel like there is a kind of distorted image of John as this raging violent misogynist when he was mostly just an emotionally abusive misogynist who gradually disabused himself of his hate. that's interesting about Ringo. it just seems like a group of guys who destroyed themselves and those around them with drugs

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Bro you wanna talk Travelling Wilburys bro? I’ll fuckin do it bro.

i would love this. Harrison's solo career is by far my favorite and he retains the most Beatlesy charm imo (sorry Paul)

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
George once made an album so boring his own label rejected it.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Yeah George peaked early and then attempted a tour while having laryngitis.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Yea ok well make a double album like All Things Must Pass, the greatest work of anything ever, and get back to me.

Also Ram is better than any Beatles album it rules and is the height of Paul being cool before he became very uncool again (but in a fun way… mostly).

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
ALL DOGS LOVED, ALL THE TIME

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Yea ok well make a double album like All Things Must Pass, the greatest work of anything ever, and get back to me.

Also Ram is better than any Beatles album it rules and is the height of Paul being cool before he became very uncool again (but in a fun way… mostly).

ram is very very good, yes

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
all things must pass is insanely overproduced. its good but jesus christ with the orchestras and reverb already, you can't even hear george on a lot of the songs

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

mycophobia posted:

all things must pass is insanely overproduced. its good but jesus christ with the orchestras and reverb already, you can't even hear george on a lot of the songs

This is fair. That crazy fucker who shot a lady loved those loving strings.

Edit: forgive me it is a TRIPLE album.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

mycophobia posted:

what's the consensus on the remasters?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I’d rather watch 8 hours about Linda. ❤️

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

punishedkissinger posted:

what's the consensus on the remasters?

Sounds the same to me.

I wish George had done an Unplugged album. The best versions of While My Guitar Gently Weeps and All Things Must Pass are demos that George cranked out alone at home. They’re on Anthology 3. There’s a version of Something like that too, but nothing can touch the Abbey Road master.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I had never watched Let It Be after hearing tons of stuff for years about how it's depressing to see the Beatles fighting and being mean to each other etc. and then when you finally watch it it's literally "a somewhat contentious work meeting" levels of bickering.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I’d rather watch 8 hours about Linda. ❤️

linda is cool

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
[video type="youtube”]3rs-cFctj6k[/video]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ODEhwaU2Uw

[video type="youtube”]SFYZxHNr_zk[/video]

Fingers crossed

Edit: gently caress!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3rs-cFctj6k

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5ODEhwaU2Uw

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SFYZxHNr_zk

don Jaime fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Nov 30, 2021

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER

mycophobia posted:

linda is cool

yeah.

maybe i'm amazed is probably my fave mccartney love song

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

don Jaime posted:

[video type="youtube”]3rs-cFctj6k[/video]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ODEhwaU2Uw

[video type="youtube”]SFYZxHNr_zk[/video]

Fingers crossed

Edit: gently caress!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3rs-cFctj6k

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5ODEhwaU2Uw

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SFYZxHNr_zk

love this. thank you!

edit: listened through All Things Must Pass again. Love the groove of this entire album. Some songs are a little boring but it's probably my favorite overall album from any of the Beatles post-split. I do enjoy the anthology versions a lot, but I think the album really balances the rawness of it very mellow pop production. Definitely going to check out the Traveling Wilbury's discography after this!

punishedkissinger fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Dec 1, 2021

R. Totale
Jul 14, 2005

punishedkissinger posted:

thanks! this is a really good breakdown. i feel like there is a kind of distorted image of John as this raging violent misogynist when he was mostly just an emotionally abusive misogynist who gradually disabused himself of his hate. that's interesting about Ringo. it just seems like a group of guys who destroyed themselves and those around them with drugs

i would love this. Harrison's solo career is by far my favorite and he retains the most Beatlesy charm imo (sorry Paul)

Lennon summarized the late '50s as him being in a blind drunken rage for a few years following his mother's death - the time where he struck both Thelma Pickles and Cynthia. Thelma hit the nail on the head when she told him "Don't take it out on me just because your mom's dead" or something similar. Right before he died, he said "I couldn't express myself and I hit. I fought men and I hit women...I am a violent man who has learned not to be violent and regrets his violence."

I bring this up because I do see some mockery here and there of his struggles with mental illness, and his attempts at therapy and confessional writing as 'unearned' in some sense. But trauma is trauma, and I do see a trajectory of a person trying to come to terms with their life and trauma and improve for the better since the early Beatle years. This was not always successful, of course - it is hard to read about what he put others through on occasion while self-medicating. But to say that his deeply disturbing behavior at McCartney's 21st birthday party was how he lived his life every day is, as you say, inaccurate. Not sure I'm making much sense, but he's (despite what boomers have done to him) still an interesting figure, perhaps.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
It does seem like the one thing of value the boomers will leave us is their taste in pop music. Shame they never listened to the message. All you need is love and all that.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug
And for all the haters on page 1, just remember, if it weren't for the Beatles, we never would have gotten Wings, the band the Beatles could never be

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

No

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Smeef posted:

And for all the haters on page 1, just remember, if it weren't for the Beatles, we never would have gotten Wings, the band the Beatles could never be

You are correct, the Beatles could never hope to compare to Wings; because the Beatles wrote some good, listenable songs.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Wings wrote ~some~ good listenable songs

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Smeef posted:

The Beatles gave us the smell of cock

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

don Jaime posted:

Yoko has never described physical abuse, but did describe John chatting up another woman right in front of her. She tried turning the tables by talking about an open marriage and she maybe having sex with another man, but he was agreeable. This is the lead up to the 18-month breakup.

Their relationship was strange, to say the least. Their agreed account of their breakup is something they were working out on the phone right after John left. In reality they were talking all the time. Essentially both of them knew their relationship was on the rocks and May Pang (who was close to them both) was somewhat of an agreeable alternative. So they broke up without ever truly breaking up I don't think.

May Pang's book is really good by the way, and pretty insightful because it's the rare account that knows both John and Yoko really well. She's also pretty even-handed in her book, rather than it being some salacious gossip.

It's true though that Lennon was supposed to appear on Venus and Mars, but it never came to be. There were a few missed opportunities like that, like when John asked Paul to perform with him at Madison Square Garden and Paul would have if not for Alan Klein who was still around. A few months later Klein was gone. Though to be fair by this point, the other 3 had come to realise that Paul had been right about Klein.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

mycophobia posted:

The Beatles are only ok and it's loving weird that you're spending this much time on them.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER

Big Beef City posted:

The Beatles are only ok

wrong

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
oh it's beef, okay that makes sense lol

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The Beatles created cancer they are monsters

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Like, it's been 60 loving years and you're watching ANOTHER 8 hour doc on what amounts to Lawrence Welk. Chill.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Their famous song "Get Cancer" with lyrics like "Get cancer and go back to where you once belonged."

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I love you and respect your ideas.

You're wrong about this.
The White Album is a one time listen-to and then cringe worthy.
Everything else is pop-trash.
Bye.

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
“Get back mother fucker y’all don’t know me like that” - John Lennon

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

The Beatles are just One Direction for boomers

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

runnypoops posted:

“Get back mother fucker y’all don’t know me like that” - John Lennon

"See I caught her wit a right hook, caught her wit a jab
Caught her wit an uppercut, kicked her in her rear end" - John Lennon, after a night with Yoko

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Look, I know being depressed hateful unfunny alcoholic sadsacks is kind of the GBS thing but can you please stay out of the one thread I want to post in