Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Schweinhund posted:

They restored it with AI and stuff. I know people were hating on it, but I thought it was good.

There's another documentary Peter Jackson did about WW1, They Shall Not Grow Old, where he went even further and colorized it and read people's lips to recreate their dialogue. That was a great documentary too. He should stick to documentaries instead of dwarf movies.

yeah i read a little bit about how it was done. what a time to be alive-certainly better than the time of ww1, which is what i actually think of when people say "Hell World'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
The First World War was based largely on the works of J.R.R. Tolkien, HTH

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Just a bunch of nerds trying to reenact silmarillion

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Brolander posted:

yeah i read a little bit about how it was done. what a time to be alive-certainly better than the time of ww1, which is what i actually think of when people say "Hell World'

Don't be a hell world hipster

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Who What Now posted:

Don't be a hell world hipster

dan "the man" carlin made the history come alive for me

much like Get Back transports us to a time when giant beatles roamed the earth

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
I'm more of a Monkees fan.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Hector Delgado posted:

I'm more of a Monkees fan.
Whereas the Beatles misspelled their namesake in order to look more musical (beat + beetles), the Monkeys actually took an animal name with "key" already in it and made it LESS musical. What a bunch of morons.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Brolander posted:

dan "the man" carlin made the history come alive for me

much like Get Back transports us to a time when giant beatles roamed the earth

A Beatle bigger than Jesus

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Schweinhund posted:

They restored it with AI and stuff. I know people were hating on it, but I thought it was good.

In the footage from the soundstage they used for the first few days, there was some really bad AI upscaling/DNR/whatever they used. It was pretty noticeable. Like, Predator HD noticeable. Maybe it was the lighting or the particular film they used for that stuff but it really stood out. Seemed totally fine when they switched to all the footage from the Apple Corps building.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Dung beetles

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Im sorry but this is a serious thread about a documentary on the musical artisans plucking their magic music weave from thin air and not a normal thread in GBS

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
More artists should put out White Albums, where instead of releasing carefully curated and developed songs, they just cobble together jams, half-baked goofy poo poo, and weird screaming for 90 minutes.

I mean this completely unironically.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
ALL DOGS LOVED, ALL THE TIME

HD DAD posted:

More artists should put out White Albums, where instead of releasing carefully curated and developed songs, they just cobble together jams, half-baked goofy poo poo, and weird screaming for 90 minutes.

I mean this completely unironically.

Agreed, and I went back in the thread to find this great post summarizing why I agree, only to find that it was you that made it:

HD DAD posted:

The Beatles just needed George Martin to reign them in and tell them “no” more to their more goofy tendencies. Also I don’t think it’s controversial to say the White Album was half brilliant, half flaming garbage. And no one can really agree which songs belong in which pile.

The fact that most Beatles fans have a list of songs from the White Album that are their favourite, and few of those lists are the same, and the fact that it is lauded as amongst The Beatles best work speaks volumes about its highly creative and experimental nature. It wasn't all good, but it was provocative for the time and it's always good to be pushing the boundaries of music in this way, IMO.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

How about you Get Back to the 60’s where you belong heh heh heh

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The good stuff on the white album is elevated by the bad stuff.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Revolution 9 is the only bad track on The Beatles. Every other song is good or great.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I'm hearing rumors that Peter Jackson's next project is a 4 part 11 hour documentary on the making of Suicidal Tendencies' seminal album 'Lights, Camera, Revolution' and I'm here for it

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

I know Beatles fans tend to hate Yoko but I enjoyed that brief moment with her doing her screamo thing while the band got weird along with her. After sitting there quietly the whole time doing crosswords or whatever you can see her eyes light up when she gets to do her thing with them and the Beatles become Melt Banana for a few seconds. I wanted more of that.

I’ve only watched part 1 and part of 2 (fell asleep) and so far my favorite parts are the partially formed song ideas that don’t go anywhere but still sound cool and are just Beatles songs that could have been.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

It's cool how they're like "Yeah here's a tune I was kicking around, maybe something Ringo could do" and he's just totally accepting that they're basically throwing him a bone to keep him feeling involved.

Ralph Hurley posted:

I know Beatles fans tend to hate Yoko but I enjoyed that brief moment with her doing her screamo thing while the band got weird along with her. After sitting there quietly the whole time doing crosswords or whatever you can see her eyes light up when she gets to do her thing with them and the Beatles become Melt Banana for a few seconds. I wanted more of that.

I’ve only watched part 1 and part of 2 (fell asleep) and so far my favorite parts are the partially formed song ideas that don’t go anywhere but still sound cool and are just Beatles songs that could have been.

It's interesting to see how tolerant they were of all that poo poo, but it's mostly when they're just jamming and screwing around. When they rehearse, that's when she's gotta shut up.

It's a big like having a cool friend who suddenly becomes a MAGA chud or something. Like bro what the hell happened to you, you've got this weird parasite in your brain suddenly that's talking for you. When they go to talk with George at his house and Paul mentions she did a lot of the talking, especially for John, you knew they were hosed. When they went back as just the three of them, it worked.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

punishedkissinger posted:

Revolution 9 is the only bad track on The Beatles. Every other song is good or great.

Cum Pollution

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Ichabod Tane posted:

Im sorry but this is a serious thread about a documentary on the musical artisans plucking their magic music weave from thin air and not a normal thread in GBS

I'll be vague posting in QCS about this like a teenager on Facebook u wretched slut

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
The Lord of the Ringos.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I'll be vague posting in QCS about this like a teenager on Facebook u wretched slut

Imagine me mashing the report button furiously just hootin and hollering about you the buffoon man

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
how am i the first person to make a lord of the ringos joke in 9 pages

SA you've lost your touch

cnut
May 3, 2016

The Lord of the Ringos.

e;fb

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

cnut posted:

The Lord of the Ringos.

e;fb

The enemy has many spies. Birds... beasts... Beatles...

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Wait, is it beats (music) + beetles (animals) = Beatles (music people) ??

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
It's Be a T-Les. A lesbian T-Rex.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
If The Beatles wrote Blue Monday, maybe they’d be a good band.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
If you wrote this post calling you "bozo," maybe you'd be a good poster, bozo.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

HD DAD posted:

If The Beatles wrote Blue Monday, maybe it'd be a good song.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

mycophobia posted:

anyways get back is amazing and worth watching all of if you like the beatles. im done posting in this thread farewell

lmao shout out to this weak rear end bitch for posting a whiny qcs thread

very happy i found that

Also, I WILL be watching Get Back later

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Ichabod Tane posted:

not

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

"My wife!" - John Lennon

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Anyone watching We're Back (1993)?

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
I like the Beatles I might watch it if Disney+ has a free trial or something. Sounds like an interesting look at the creative process

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

GetDunked posted:

I like the Beatles I might watch it if Disney+ has a free trial or something. Sounds like an interesting look at the creative process

We're Back (1993) is free on Tubi!!!

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
ALL DOGS LOVED, ALL THE TIME

Ichabod Tane posted:

lmao shout out to this weak rear end bitch for posting a whiny qcs thread

very happy i found that

fyad regular going into qcs to say gbs sucks because of the shitposts lmao

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

fyad regular going into qcs to say gbs sucks because of the shitposts lmao

fyad and crying on qcs name me a better duo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Watching We're Back (1993) free on Tubi!!!