Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Gatts posted:

IMO even if you didn’t have Detroit in there and stuck in the Jags, you would get similar ratings. Think of it more of a captive home audience to gather around TV while everything is closed and there is less distraction. Detroit is not the ratings maker but then again maybe the family will bond around making GBS threads on them vs arguing about Trump or whatever

the argument is that you shouldn't waste a ratings maker on that slot when you could pull those viewers on sunday or monday instead. why not take a lions game that'd be buried at 1pm on a sunday in local markets only and put it in that spot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
There is a large group of people in America who would rather watch the Detroit Lions than interact with their extended family

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

shirts and skins posted:

There is a large group of people in America who would rather watch the Detroit Lions than interact with their extended family

Can't say they're always wrong to, either. I generally like my family and like spending time with them but not everyone is so lucky

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Sometimes you just want to take attention away from whomever the fuckup is in your family, and what better way then by watching the Lions.

Sure your cousin might be a drug addled vaccine denier, but take a look at this 3rd and 15 pass attempt.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Cowboys and Saints on Thursday night with Taysom Hill starting, the clownball potential is off the charts.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Coming at it from the other direction, do you want to see this Lions team on a Sunday or Monday night when you don't have anything else to grab your attention?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
The Lions on Thanksgiving is fun and perfect to have on the background while I prep the evening's meal, because if I was consciously paying attention to it I'd be drinking hard liquor before noon.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The Lions always get the first game when everyone is eating and not paying much attention right?

Maybe on the east coast, my mom put the turkey in the oven when the Lions game started and we didn't eat until the third quarter of the Cowboys game.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

shirts and skins posted:

Yeah me.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Anyone who prefers quality time with their family on thanksgiving over watching an nfl game is a communist.

It means the terrorists won

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/FirstThickFlounder-mobile.mp4

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Anyone who prefers quality time with their family on thanksgiving over watching an nfl game is a communist.

What if I'd prefer the nfl game and I'm a communist

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Watching my dad handle the stress of watching HIS lions play football on turkey day and hearing the story of why the lions play on Thanksgiving is an annual tradition that I love dearly.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

So amari Cooper is pretty sick with Covid huh

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I prefer quality time with friends on everyday over watching an nfl game and I'm a communist

Also the terrorists won

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

FizFashizzle posted:

Apparently he's still sick enough to not practice, but not sick enough to stay away from the building.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

seiferguy posted:

I remember one time Seattle's kicker got hurt so they had the punter (normally the holder) go out to line up, and the backup holder botched the snap, went through his hands and the other team picked it up for an easy TD.

I'm assuming that's a situation they were avoiding.

I went to a Lions-Jets game in 2012 I think where Jason Hanson got hurt on a FG attempt via roughing the kicker, and on the new set of downs the Lions scored a touchdown and sent out Ndamukong Suh to attempt the PAT.

Naturally, Suh hit the upright and the Lions lost in overtime.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

FizFashizzle posted:

Oh darn who could have guessed

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Kalli posted:

Inflatable Goku > Trevor Siemian.

What if the Saints signed inflatable Goku as QB?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

( Wins / Grit ) * Fatmen TDs

Safeties count more than regular TDs but less than Fatmen TDs

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

shirts and skins posted:

Absolutely. If it was Lions and Jets I'd still have it on to be in the TV corner with my 4th glass of gin. Difference is if it can be flexed to a big game people who have normal families would probably tune in. Those Lions ratings should be the bare minimum.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Maybe more teams should have backup kickers that aren't the holders.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Kalli posted:

Apparently he's still sick enough to not practice, but not sick enough to stay away from the building.

Well it’s entirely possible he’s no longer contagious but his unvaxxed rear end had his lungs wrecked.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Kalli posted:

Myles Garrett said he wasn't right for 6 months after his bout with covid last year.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
https://twitter.com/Jason_OTC/status/1465744991062532110?t=SB3R0ONyFGkqfducATbJCw&s=19

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Just curious, what's the longest safety ever recorded? Like, if the offense started on the ten yard line and the QB or RB ran backwards ten yards before being tackled in the end zone.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Convert Rodgers salary to NFTs. He'd go for that

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

It's almost definitely some play where a shotgun snap fired over the QB's head and went like 25 yards into the endzone.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Traxis posted:

Cowboys and Saints on Thursday night with Taysom Hill starting, the clownball potential is off the charts.

Saints don’t even have clowns that can play.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
safeties and pick sixes should be extra points period. 9 points automatically for both

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Oh duh, the longest is Wrong Way Marshall, but that shouldn't count

Here's an attempted kick return lateral fest that ends in a safety, followed by the 15 yard Peyton safety in the Superbowl. Start at 2 minutes in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sF39hhZVAmE&t=120s

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Kalli posted:

It's almost definitely some play where a shotgun snap fired over the QB's head and went like 25 yards into the endzone.

The safety to open SB XLVIII was from the 14 and was recovered 8 yards deep in the end zone.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Drake No: don’t pay running backs
Drake Yes: don’t pay quarterbacks

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

That list is basically "oh gently caress the salary cap is way lower then we expected due to a worldwide pandemic and we need to get money off the books right loving now!".

<1 year later> OH NO!

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
https://twitter.com/PatMcAfeeShow/status/1465761327834714113?t=5MeyAVYWw-QJcev-YRno5A&s=19

THEN WHY WOULDN'T YOU HAVE THE SURGERY, DUMBASS

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Gonna try some holistic healing first.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Freaquency posted:

The safety to open SB XLVIII was from the 14 and was recovered 8 yards deep in the end zone.

That was so good lol

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
In 1964 Jim Marshall of the Minnesota Vikings recovered a fumble and ran 64 yard the wrong way into his own endzone and recorded a safety

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Just filling his cleat with clay and squishing his foot into it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Kalli posted:

Oh duh, the longest is Wrong Way Marshall, but that shouldn't count

Here's an attempted kick return lateral fest that ends in a safety, followed by the 15 yard Peyton safety in the Superbowl. Start at 2 minutes in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sF39hhZVAmE&t=120s

The Rams guy intercepting a ball in the end zone, running it out, then running backwards into the end zone to get tackled for a safety is :discourse: