Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Some of these so called numbers aren't even rational!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster
you know what I just found out? they got imaginary numbers nowadays

they're just making em up!

Nov 6, 2002

What the hell kind of number is π??????

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Chucktesla posted:

I think ADoT and CPOE are good advanced stats for quarterbacks. QB rating isn't good unless it's a score that dips below a 39 because it's funny. PFF is dumb

I have some serious problems with aDOT because it doesn't differentiate between like

3-yard dink
3-yard dunk
15-yard incomplete pass

and
7-yard pass (complete)
7-yard pass (incomplete)
7-yard pass (complete)

Both have an aDOT of 7, both had a 66.6% completion rate, but one set of passes was much more useful. One thing I've liked to do is look at IAY/PA and CAY/Cmp. You can see the frauds much faster. People were talking a big game about Drew Lock's aDOT in 2020, for example, but the difference in air yards between his completions and overall pass attempts were out of control

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
How does Cousins compare to Keenum and Bradford's Vikings stints?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
There's an easy way to check and see if various stats are good: regression analysis.

If the statistic correlates strongly with winning, it's a good statistic. If it correlates more strongly than a different statistic, it's better than that other one.

It's why everyone in baseball knows that ops is better than AVG.

Re Vikings: they are very poorly coached, particularly on offense. Their coaching, and play calling 100% costs them more points, more yards, and more wins than their quarterback play does.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Mega64 posted:

How does Cousins compare to Keenum and Bradford's Vikings stints?

Bradford 2016: EPA/play .084; League Rank (EPA/CPOE composite) 17th
Keenum 2017: .181, 8th
Cousins 2018: .020, 26th
Cousins 2019: .214, 5th
Cousins 2020: .216, 9th

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster
thank you bill belichick for ending advanced stats once and for all

i dont wanna see any of that blasphemy posted about the run not mattering ever again

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Magicpants posted:

thank you bill belichick for ending advanced stats once and for all

i dont wanna see any of that blasphemy posted about the run not mattering ever again

hm yes, a once-in-a-decade game with gale-force winds that make it nearly impossible to throw the ball means thousands of other data points are wrong now

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster
oh word? so what your saying is sometimes it works to run the ball, and actually there may be conditions where YOU CAN WIN A loving GAME WITHOUT A FORWARD PASS

Nov 6, 2002

Actually I think the best thread ever created by one individual effort in TFF was a statistical rundown of running back performances.

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster
Haha yes well if simply do the calculations, any right thinking person will find that it is mathematically impossible to win a game running instead of passing.

Ah well, nevertheless,

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Magicpants posted:

oh word? so what your saying is sometimes it works to run the ball, and actually there may be conditions where YOU CAN WIN A loving GAME WITHOUT A FORWARD PASS

WEll chrome ate my lenghty post, so I'll summarize:

"Running backs don't matter" is intentional hyperbole, and actually stands for the proposition that,
- passing the ball is more valuable than the run, in most every context
- there is not enough of a difference between the 'best' running backs and rest of the running backs to justify big contracts and high picks spent on them
- Run blocking and scheme have more to do with rushing success than running back talent
- The pass sets up the run, and not the other way around

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

blarzgh posted:

- there is not enough of a difference between the 'best' running backs and rest of the running backs to justify big contracts and high picks spent on them

Yeah, I think the issue is there are running backs who are clearly dominant and clearly worth a great contract... for a few years and those years almost always happen during their rookie deals. Which is the real problem with the big contracts.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Kalli posted:

Yeah, I think the issue is there are running backs who are clearly dominant and clearly worth a great contract... for a few years and those years almost always happen during their rookie deals. Which is the real problem with the big contracts.

even when they are "dominant", their value added to the team's performance is mostly attributable to offensive line play and scheme, and still fails to surpass even below-average quarterback contributions.

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster

blarzgh posted:

"Running backs don't matter" is intentional hyperbole, and actually stands for the proposition that,
- passing the ball is more valuable than the run, in most every context
so it only took the most historically anomalous game ever to finally establish that the value of the run is context dependent, now we're just quibbling about the degree. its not as simple as oh just pass the ball dum dums

quote:

- Run blocking and scheme have more to do with rushing success than running back talent
thank you bill belichick

quote:

-there is not enough of a difference between the 'best' running backs and rest of the running backs to justify big contracts and high picks spent on them
- The pass sets up the run, and not the other way around
what does this have to do with anything, the people who really believe this stuff contintually talk about play action like a gimmick and runs as some unfortunate tradition used only at the end of games to drain the clock

e: Let me spell it out for you like I've been going off on for the last 24 hours. The Bills couldn't stop the run. Full stop. They lost the game right there.

Or look, everything loving depends on context. Najee was a pretty good pick, probably better than going OL, but whether there was another player better is debatable. Etienne was also a 1st round RB, it was clear at the time he loving hideously atrocious pick, not just because he's a RB, but because the Jags picked him in the worst possible context.

Magicpants fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Dec 7, 2021

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Chucktesla posted:

https://twitter.com/PFF_AndrewR/status/1467855154414342147?t=BrPAi9zqfv6kZcqO6XgTUg&s=19

Love to say words like Big Time Throw when talking about our serious advanced statistical analysis

I legit thought this was a joke post. Like not that the stats were a joke but that someone was saying this sarcastically

but no, that guy apparently works at PFF lmao

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
For some context:

blarzgh posted:

For those interested, EPA doesn't, in and of itself, separate players into positions, or even types of plays.

What EPA does, is look at the starting time, field position, down and distance, and then the resulting time, field position, down and distance, and quantify the difference between those two things based on how much more, or less likely a team is to score points after the change.

So what EPA does is divorce itself entirely from the type of play, formation, everything, and just gives us the net value of a play. Then, anyone with the compunction to analyze these plays can sort them into categories and see if any useful information pops out. It only creates an objective, baseline measurement for the points value of any given play. Providing context is up to the user.

One might say, "A swing pass on 1st and 10 for 5 yards has the same total value as a RB Draw for 5 yards." EPA will agree with that statement.

A shrewd observer might then say, "Ah, but the rushing play will alter the way the Defense lines up and reacts to plays later on in the game, which will make passing easier later on." Which may very well be true! EPA doesn't care about that.

However, the neat thing is that you can then go check the value of future plays where running the ball early would have, in theory, made passing easier later in the game, using EPA (and other analysis)! For example, it was long believed that rushing the ball early and often was necessary to set up Play Action later on in games. Turns out, this isn't true. Teams enjoy success on Play Action whether or not they run the ball successfully earlier. Here is some more research on maximizing Play Action ratios.

It also turns out that teams aren't maximizing the efficiency of their third down and red zone running games, and that certain schemes are producing better results. And still there are more findings out there that teams aren't actually running the ball enough on 3rd and 1, and in the red zone.

So there are lots of uses for EPA; but like any statistic, it is only a tool that does one specific thing. It doesn't have an agenda, or context, it only tells you how much more likely a team is to get points after a specific play.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Magicpants posted:

so it only took the historically anomalous game ever to finally establish the value of the run is context dependent, now we're just quibbling about the degree. its not as simple as oh just pass the ball dum dums

No one has ever argued that the run game has "no value", and in fact advanced study confirms that the run game is most valuable on 3rd and short, and short goal-to-go situations. The argument is about adjusting the run game usage from what it has traditionally been (early downs, "establishing the run") to where it has the most value, in context (short yardage situations, light boxes set up by the threat of the pass).

Magicpants posted:

thank you bill belichick

Its true, though. The offensive line and the play scheme and calls have much more to do with how successful a play is, especially a running play, than the running back does.

Magicpants posted:

what does this have to do with anything, the people who really believe this stuff contintually talk about play action like a gimmick and runs as some unfortunate tradition used only at the end of games to drain the clock

People who "really believe this stuff" believe that Play Action is Good! and have discovered that how successful play action passes are have nothing to do with the success of your running back. Player tracking data, and film study find that linebackers can't help but bite on the run fake and that NFL teams still have not hit the tipping point where play action becomes less successful. Until they do, its an incredibly valuable tool for offenses, that is underutilized.

Magicpants posted:

Let me spell it out for you like I've been going off on for the last 24 hours. The Bills couldn't stop the run. Full stop. They lost the game right there.

Thats cool, but your manic point is made without levy for the other 2,719 games in the past decade, so congratulations for figuring that one out, but the information isn't particularly translatable to the rest of the season.

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster
ok well try crunching the numbers with a different equation next week because bills are get hammered

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
And for more Context: Running the Ball to Protect the Lead is Good!

In general, in late game situations, the value of win percentage added by running exceeds passing WPA. This is because, as we all intuitively understand, running, while having a lower success rate takes time off the clock. You give up points and yards for time.

Analytics thinks Running the ball is Good! In the right situations! They also think the name of the person running the ball doesn't matter that much.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Magicpants posted:

ok well try crunching the numbers with a different equation next week because bills are get hammered

What are you asking?

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster
for you to think for the first time in your life

this is a bot right?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Magicpants posted:

for you to think for the first time in your life

Seems unreasonably aggressive, but OK I'll try:

*takes a huge poo poo in own pants*

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster
Not even trying to to be rude, just everyone around here keep proving they have never watched a football game before

Oh gently caress, did you guys know Rhamondre Stevenson carried the ball 24 times for 78 yards, that’s only 3.2 YPC, hardly an efficient run game after all :smugmrgw:

Take away a couple busted runs by Damien, why according to science the Patriots lose the game :eng101:

e: And you aren’t even doing stats right! You’re doing your weird little fetishization of stats. Whatever kind of analysis you think you are doing is so crude as to be basically meaningless.

I mean you don’t have to care about BB like I do. I have nothing against ignorance, it’s the self-righteous ignorance though

Magicpants fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Dec 7, 2021

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Actually I think the best thread ever created by one individual effort in TFF was a statistical rundown of running back performances.

Forever_Peace's Ground Control. I still think about it sometimes.

Magicpants posted:

Not even trying to to be rude, just everyone around here keep proving they have never watched a football game before

Oh gently caress, did you guys know Rhamondre Stevenson carried the ball 24 times for 78 yards, that’s only 3.2 YPC, hardly an efficient run game after all :smugmrgw:

Take away a couple busted runs by Damien, why according to science the Patriots lose the game :eng101:

e: And you aren’t even doing stats right! You’re doing your weird little fetishization of stats. Whatever kind of analysis you think you are doing is so crude as to be basically meaningless.

I mean you don’t have to care about BB like I do. I have nothing against ignorance, it’s the self-righteous ignorance though

Gonna be honest, you're making a huge rear end of yourself my guy

Nov 6, 2002

Spoeank posted:

Forever_Peace's Ground Control. I still think about it sometimes.

drat good memory.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3763012

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Analytics are dumb. Sorry nerds

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

This was a bad week for analytics but a great week for eyes and guts. All in all I rank it 11/10

Mega64
May 23, 2008

According to advanced analytics you don't need to throw the ball to win a game, therefore quarterbacks are useless and teams should prioritize their run game. The #1 seed Patriots did just this yesterday, and the #2 and #3 seeds in the AFC are also run-focused teams. Meanwhile, the Jags and Jets spent their top picks on quarterbacks and are still terrible because they refuse to establish the run. The advanced statistics don't lie.

Think of it this way. Would you rather your team have Derrick Henry or Kirk Cousins?

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Guards and centers should go top 5 every year. gently caress QB's :schotty:

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
put down the meth pipe drat you've had enough son

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

blarzgh posted:

People who "really believe this stuff" believe that Play Action is Good! and have discovered that how successful play action passes are have nothing to do with the success of your running back. Player tracking data, and film study find that linebackers can't help but bite on the run fake and that NFL teams still have not hit the tipping point where play action becomes less successful. Until they do, its an incredibly valuable tool for offenses, that is underutilized.

Blarzgh is completely wrong about Dak being good, but he's right about play action.

All teams should be running play action about 70% of the time. Instead 30% is considered an extremely high amount.

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

Check out Andrew's Big Time Mad rate

https://twitter.com/PFF_AndrewR/status/1468347844407013379?t=0jHfLWp5-g2I7O7B-UAohQ&s=19

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster
Next week, after the Bills D sits in their heaviest run packages all game, allowing 700 passing yards but only 70 yds on the ground, the advanced stats people: “SEE!??! The Bills running defense is great, and passing is better than running after all :smug:

People are making good faith arguments that THE WIND was more responsible for this win than the run game. The only reason people are blaming the wind for that loss is because Belichick deliberately chose to run the ball 46 times and won the game, whereas the team that threw a typical 30 times, and you know didn’t have any balls fly away on the wind, their passing game got shut down by a vastly smarter tougher defense. This could have happened just as easily when its 70 and sunny. But people have been so stripped down that they have to resort to blaming THE WIND.

move along folks, nothing to see here, no football was played, THE WIND was too strong

THE WIND

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sT5f1jBJHng
TREMBLE IN FEAR YE MORTALS

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Are you OK?

Nov 6, 2002

I've been reading Magicpants posts in Tony Montana's voice this whole time so it makes perfect sense.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I don't know what happened to Magicpants but whatever it is, I am in favor of it.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I'm 50/50 on whether this is a bit, or he's actually unhinged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

He's dealing with the fact that he's seen peak football and everything after this is downhill.